HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Toronto Summit Explores Ways to Get more 4-8 year olds on ice

Old
09-09-2009, 05:12 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
WOW that is incredible I would pay $200 gladly and be at every practice, game all winter long. I buy goal equipment for my son so he doesn't have to be in the nasty 10 year old house league stuff. for our $450 CAD we get 20, 1 hour games, and 20, 1 hour practices, and an end of season tournament. we have to skate from 6 AM to 7 AM and we live an half an hour away in good weather. If it's a snow storm it takes an hour.

We pay twice as much money for 1/2 as much hockey. As for other sports costing any thing who cares? I thought we where talking about hockey?

We are going on a trip in Oct. and we will miss one game / practice this year but last year we refused to go any place because of the kids hockey.

Edit:
I forgot that I'm talking about house league for an 8 year old in Pickering. not A-level hockey

Registration Fees:

Hockey School > $285
- Players born from 2001-2005 without previous Hockey Association experience is required to enroll in this program.

House League > $450
- Initiation to Bantam - Players born from 1995-2004

House League > $375
- Minor Midget to Midget/Juvenile- Players born from 1994-1989

Rep Hockey > $450
- Players born 1989-2003

prices from http://www.pickeringhockey.com/reg/register.html

As well I paid $365 each for 2, 1 week training camp this summer as well as last summer.
Im sure the parents that cant afford to sign up their children care. Im sure the kids who cant play because their parents cant afford it care.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 06:06 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Im sure the parents that cant afford to sign up their children care. Im sure the kids who cant play because their parents cant afford it care.
This string is about hockey right eh? The price of dance classes are expensive here too. So what how dose that fact effect the price and enrollment numbers in hockey, in Canada. Eh? It doesn't.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 06:10 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
This string is about hockey right eh? The price of dance classes are expensive here too. So what how dose that fact effect the price and enrollment numbers in hockey, in Canada. Eh? It doesn't.
So what you are saying is that the price of other sports in no way has an effect on the number of kids that sign up each year?

Just want to make sure this is what your saying.

Old
09-09-2009, 06:22 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
So what you are saying is that the price of other sports in no way has an effect on the number of kids that sign up each year?

Just want to make sure this is what your saying.
this is the 2nd time this evening that you are putting words into my mouth. "So you are saying"

I said what I'm saying are you having a hard time reading what I'm saying?

I'm the one who started *****ing about the cost of hockey in ON (Pickering)
I am saying that this string is about hockey and the dwindling enrollment numbers. The cost is one of the reasons that the numbers are falling. The person who brought up commitment issue brought up a good point too. I would like to add the hour of the morning we have to skate is also a pain, but one I'll gladly live with.

Old
09-09-2009, 06:27 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:

Basketball is cheaper, indoor soccer in cheaper. Cost of hockey is going up. Parents who cant/wont pay for hockey because of the price will sign their kids up in another sport. Parents who can no longer afford to pay for hockey will sign their kids up in other sports. Parents who will no longer pay the fees for hockey will sign their kids up in diffrent sports. Hence, lower enrollment numbers in hockey. Ta Daa!

Unbeliveable.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:05 AM
maci4life

vCash: 500
Quote:
All I can say is I have a 8 year old son who plays net (2 years now) in Pickering house league. And I play afternoon shinny with a few woman who play at an Olympic level. As well I know a few other woman who play either ringett or hockey on woman's leagues.

I have been hearing in the news about the declining numbers in hockey in Canada. I think the first issue that should be looked at is the price of Leagues and equipment in Canada. $450.00 for a 20 game league for an 8 year old is excessive at best and criminal at worst.
Running a League or sponsoring a house league team in Canada is a cash cow.

absolutely

prices are way too high. hockey's almost 1000 a year per kid compared to 100 for soccer. the choice is a no brainer.

talking to my aunt ( my cousins played hockey back in the day ) she told me the difference in costs. she would never put them through hockey if it was like this back in the day.

prices along with the influx of immigrants from non hockey countries will mean the demise of hockey in GTA unless groups like SHA wake up and smell the coffee.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 09:13 AM
CanFan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mackey View Post
http://thestar.ca/sports/hockey/article/682760

My son just turned 6 and he'll be entering his third year as a Timbit/Tyke hockey player.
Over the last 2 winters I've observed the one largest hurdle in getting kids from ages 4-8 involved in hockey; it's far too serious.

At 4 and 5 years-old the most important thing you can do is make the game fun.
First, most leagues have 2 hours of ice time divided over 2 days. And in most regions it's usually in the earliest hours of the morning.

So think about this; most kids begin school at 4 years old. And some of them go 5 days a week.
So now you're asking a very small child to wake up early 7 days in a row. And for a sport that's not easy to learn, takes place in a cold environment and they're forced into drills that aren't even remotely interesting.
Ask yourself this? Would YOU like to be woken up earlier than you need to, to skate around pilons, pivot around circles or practice diving and getting up over and over again on a freezing cold sheet of ice? And then, for the unlucky minority, you may or may not have a loud parent screaming at you to stop crying and keep working.

At that age level there should only be 1 hour of ice time. And that one hour should be filled with fun games that teach kids to adapt to their enormous and bulky equipment, skate and enjoy their time on the ice.

During my tenure in helping out with my sons team it was amazing to watch how for 45 minutes, you couldn't find a smile or laugh on the ice while pacing these young children through various drills. But then, in the last 5 minutes, allowing them to play a simple game like cops-and-robbers, or simply allow them to fire pucks on a coach standing in net, you could see them all light up like it was Christmas morning. And you know what's nuts? Those 'simple' games like cops-and-robbers, or asteroids, or duck-duck-goose, or even 'what time is it Mr.Wolf?' did just as good a job as teaching the fundemantals as stopping, starting, turning or getting up as the tried-and-stale drills of lines, circles and cones.

Hockey is hard enough to learn. It's not like basketball or baseball where every kid knows how to run. So why are we making it harder on them?
The answer is two fold;
1. Canada take's hockey too seriously.
2. Parents take hockey too seriously.

I've actualy been told by some parents that if their kid isn't miserable after a practice it wasn't a good one.
Where did hockey turn from a fun activity into a war or job?

If you keep it simple and you gear the practices and games for the CHILDREN, instead of the parents and convenors then kids will return.
Remeber, the Gretzky's and Orr's didn't develop their love or skills for the game in an arena with cones and whistles. They developed on back yard rinks and ponds, where it's fun.
Great Post!

My son is started last year (he was 3 1/2) and i'm happy to say that we have a great organization. My son played every saturday at 8:00AM. Only an hour a week. He generally didnt mind getting up for hockey (he was even really excited sometimes) and we had a nice routine where he wanted me to play the old hockey night in canada song in the car and after he finished his practice, we would go for a big family breakfast around 10:00 (he used to grab some cereals or oatmeal before his games but appreciated being at the restaurant with us afterwards). We would get family and friends to join us once in a while and he had a lot of fun. He also played 3 ''tournaments'' with no goalies or actual score kept, but they had music between shifts, a mascot roaming the stands and the coaches would be on the ice and help the kids learn how to play at the same time. They gave all the kids medals after a nice ceremony after each tournaments and a trophy and a stick at the end of the season. My son is always happy to show his medals and trophies to friends and family and it helped his confidence a lot, and made him a hockey fanatic.

Anyway, just my 2 cents ! ;0)

CanFan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 09:31 AM
CanFan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
The last time I went to play pickup in the summer (Julyish) I saw the trail end of, get this, a AAA 5-6 year old Summer Tournament.

Can you really call a kid a AAA hockey player at that age? Also, what the heck are you doing putting a 5 year old on skates in the middle of summer?

These are the kids who wind up wanting nothing to do with the sport by the time they're 15. Summer hockey should be a no-no unless the kid REALLLY WANTS TO, but even then it's probably wiser to encourage the player to do something else (fishing, swimming, soccer, baseball, etc)
I Agree. But it still depends on your kid. This past season we found that my son was struggling a bit with his skating compared to the other kids (partly our fault because we didnt have time to go free skating with him in the winter). We found out that a friend of his was going to powerskating lessons for 4 year olds (his age group) and he decided to join to be with his friend. The lessons started at noon and were an hour long. He worked hard and had fun with the drills. He's a better skater now and he's happy he's improved.

CanFan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 03:58 AM
krax

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
absolutely

prices are way too high. hockey's almost 1000 a year per kid compared to 100 for soccer. the choice is a no brainer.
True. And don't forget that I had to invest into a 80'000$ 4x4 SUV to drive my kid and his equipment and sticks safely to the rink.
He goes to soccer practice and games riding his bike.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 03:24 PM
The ORB

The cost of hockey is certainly prohibitive to many families.

Both my daughters are playing this season, one in her first year of rep/travel and one in houseleague.
The cost for house league was $350 (including $50 early bird signup discount), but that is only for one game a week and then a practice every other week. Plus a mini playoff at the end of the season. Now that might not seem too bad, but then I had to buy her gear, which even for lower range stuff cost probably another $500-$600. Chances are half of it will have to be replaced each year also as she grows.

The other daughter is in her first season of rep and the basic team fees for that are $1400, plus $200 for jerseys, socks and tracksuit. Plus travel and hotel costs for tournaments etc.
Plus of course since rep is highly competitive and everyone is pushing to make the teams each year most of the kids do spring 3 on 3, extra powerskating, pre tryout skills camps, summer hockey camps etc. These are usually not compulsory, but there is always an unspoken pressure to keep up with the other kids. Even a few of those can easily double the cost of a season of hockey. Plus since its rep the equipment tends to be more expensive and gets worn out quicker.

It is easy to see why some families can't/won't try hockey. Having said that I love to watch my kids play, and there is nowhere I would rather be most of the time than at some rink or another watching them play, compete and have fun.

Many other sports such as figure skating, gymnastics, swimming or even dance are just as expensive at the competitive level, but they can all be tried at a beginner level for low cost.

Sports like soccer and basketball are probably the ones that offer relatively low costs even at the competitive levels.

The ORB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:58 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

the cost of other sports has nothing to do with it!

it's the cost of hockey that has everything to do with declining enrollment numbers. Not the option of other sports or the smaller price tags.

Hockey has always cost more and a lot more than Soccer, baseball, or what ever, even when hockey enrollment was up.

The point is more about the cost of hockey. If a kid wants to play hockey how is baseball going to take the place of hockey? it won't.

Hockey will always cost more, but right now youth hockey is being exploited for profit.
Maybe youth leagues should be designated as Not-For-Profits to bring down costs.