HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cage to half visor. Bad idea?

Old
09-02-2009, 11:14 PM
blueberrydanish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Just like these dumda@@ donorcycle riders you see doing wheelies down the road. The wheelies don't hurt them, it's the sudden stop at the end.
Pretty bad comparison...

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 03:25 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Pretty bad comparison...
It was just a personal attack, he didnt read the thread. If he did he would have noticed that i said mouthguards could infact help prevent concussions without there being proof that they can.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
It was just a personal attack, he didnt read the thread. If he did he would have noticed that i said mouthguards could infact help prevent concussions without there being proof that they can.
No actually, it was an attack because you use the warped logic that since no actual testing has been done to induce concussions on human subjects that there's no evidence to support this information, when in fact data collected shows it to be so.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Pretty bad comparison...
At least you got something out of it...........

Old
09-03-2009, 11:47 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
At least you got something out of it...........
Nothing I didnt already know, besides the fact you must really dislike ppl that go around doin wheelies on motorcycles ahhaha =p.

Old
09-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Nothing I didnt already know, besides the fact you must really dislike ppl that go around doin wheelies on motorcycles ahhaha =p.
Actually, I feel sorry for the parents of kids like that, I have no lost emotions for the idiots themselves. A parent never wants to have to bury one of their kids, but those jokers are making it too easy to become a statistic.

Old
09-03-2009, 06:10 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
No actually, it was an attack because you use the warped logic that since no actual testing has been done to induce concussions on human subjects that there's no evidence to support this information, when in fact data collected shows it to be so.

Link?

Old
09-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Link?
Here, just for someone of your caliber

Old
09-03-2009, 11:07 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:

hmmm.....and yet not one site that had proof mouthguards prevent concussions, hell, the best you gave was "it may or may not". Good job once again not answering a question. Its what you do best.

Old
09-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Hockeyfan68

My two cents comes from a Google search since I am ignorant about concussions or the prevention of them with the use of a mouthguard.

I found this article that makes sense to me and it seems like a knowledgable website having to do with dentistry experts.

http://www.sportsdentistry.com/concussion.html

Concussion Prevention and Athletic Mouthguards
Do athletic mouthguards have a role in reducing the incidence and severity of cerebral concussion in sports?

This is a controversial question now being asked by the sporting world, especially for high-impact sports such as hockey and football. The apparent increase in concussion rates has led to claims by dentists and over-the-counter mouthguard suppliers regarding the use and effectiveness of athletic mouthguards in reducing concussions. Numerous minor hockey leagues have introduced mouthguard rules as a possible result of concussion, rather than dental concerns.

Though anecdotal, there are three possible theories on the potential benefits of properly-fitting athletic mouthguards and the reduction of the incidence or severity of concussions. It should be noted that these are theories, which in most cases are NOT PROVEN in the medical/dental literature.

1. Direct dissipation and/or absorption of force of an upward blow to the jaw.
2. Increased separation of the head of the condyle and glenoid fossa
3. Increased head stabilization by activating and strengthening neck muscles.

Dissipation of forces

Mouthguard materials by nature must have shock absorption qualities. They must be resilient and yet soft enough to absorb impact energy and reduce transmitted forces. The thickness of mouthguard material is directly related to energy absorption and inversely related to transmitted forces when impacted. However, wearer comfort is also an important factor in their use. Thicker mouthguards are often not user-friendly. Transmitted forces through different thicknesses of the most commonly-used mouthguard material (ethylene vinyl acetate – EVA - Shore Hardness of 80) were compared when impacted with identical forces capable of damaging the oro-facial complex. The results showed that the optimal thickness for EVA mouthguard material with a Shore Hardness of 80 is around 4 mm. on the occlusal surface. All teeth must be properly covered and the bite balanced accordingly. Increased thickness, while improving performance marginally, may result in less wearer comfort and acceptance.

Stenger, in 1964, reported that forces from mandibular impact would be attenuated with a mouthguard, resulting in fewer injuries. Hickey discussed that mouth protectors reduced pressure changes and bone deformation within the skull in a cadaver model. He demonstrated a decrease of 50% in the amplitude of the intracranial pressure after a blow to the chin when wearing a mouthguard.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 01:49 AM
TXhockey10

I went from cage to half visor for drop ins after I turned 18, and about a month ago I got hit in the mouth with a stick and it ended up costing $2300 to fix... but I wasn't wearing a mouth piece...

TXhockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
hmmm.....and yet not one site that had proof mouthguards prevent concussions, hell, the best you gave was "it may or may not". Good job once again not answering a question. Its what you do best.
I never said that there was proof that mouthguards prevent concussions, I said there was data collected that supported the claim. The only "true" way to prove it would be to test it on human subjects and that isn'yt going to happen.

Quote:
when in fact data collected shows it to be so
No where did I say that there was proof they prevent concussions, only that data collected shows they are effective.

Try reading comp. 101 for further enhancements.

Old
09-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Danrik
It is what it is.

Used it last night and everything went great. Started to fog a little bit in the 3rd, I assume it will start getting fogged a little quicker from here on out. Should I buy some spray or just throw shampoo on it like I have heard others say?

Hardest part was definately getting used to the mouthguard and breathing. I did boil it and everything before but I'm not sure if I did it 100% correctly or not. Should they just stay on your teeth or will gravity pull them off? If I need to can I boil it again or is that bad news?

Danrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 07:06 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik View Post
Used it last night and everything went great. Started to fog a little bit in the 3rd, I assume it will start getting fogged a little quicker from here on out. Should I buy some spray or just throw shampoo on it like I have heard others say?

Hardest part was definately getting used to the mouthguard and breathing. I did boil it and everything before but I'm not sure if I did it 100% correctly or not. Should they just stay on your teeth or will gravity pull them off? If I need to can I boil it again or is that bad news?
My stick to my top teeth pretty damn well, pretty sure reboiling wont hurt it just make sure you take a good bite into it so when its drying it forms right, but also make sure it is just holding on your top teeth in the process. Just make sure not to bite extremely hard cause might take away too much of the space between your bottom and top teeth.

Old
09-07-2009, 06:59 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
I never said that there was proof that mouthguards prevent concussions, I said there was data collected that supported the claim. The only "true" way to prove it would be to test it on human subjects and that isn'yt going to happen.

No where did I say that there was proof they prevent concussions, only that data collected shows they are effective.

Try reading comp. 101 for further enhancements.

So you are saying the same thing everyone else here is saying. Good job!

Old
09-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Hugh Madbrough

my two cents:
I love not wearing a full cage...however I love having my teeth and eyes intact. Until I start making $ for playing I'm staying with the cage.

I played with a visor for years up until I saw a team eat a deflected wrist shot. Call me a puss but that did it for me.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Life View Post
my two cents:
I love not wearing a full cage...however I love having my teeth and eyes intact. Until I start making $ for playing I'm staying with the cage.

I played with a visor for years up until I saw a team eat a deflected wrist shot. Call me a puss but that did it for me.
Hey it is personal preference .... if you feel comfy with a cage wear one. Pucks hurt I know that much!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 06:21 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik View Post
I'm thinking of trading in my full face shield for a half visor. I am struggling to see the puck at times with the cage and think the visor will help.

Now, I am not in the NHL and get up in the morning and go to work. I am a little leery of losing some teeth or worse. Can anyone who's made this transition offer some insight? Good or bad.
I say it's like driving a motorcycle. (Yes I ride some times) it's not how good of a rider you are it's the idiots you are driving on the road with.

I actually know a guy who lost an eye when someone on the opposing team went to lift his stick and missed. the blade of the stick went right up into his visor and then the guy who missed the lift went to pull his stick back and chase the puck and yanked his eye out.

if you are not playing at a very high level I would just stick with the cage.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 06:25 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
I say it's like driving a motorcycle. (Yes I ride some times) it's not how good of a rider you are it's the idiots you are driving on the road with.

I actually know a guy who lost an eye when someone on the opposing team went to lift his stick and missed. the blade of the stick went right up into his visor and then the guy who missed the lift went to pull his stick back and chase the puck and yanked his eye out.

if you are not playing at a very high level I would just stick with the cage.
I was in a game a few years back when a guy broke his neck. By your logic if you are not playing at a very high level you should just stick with not playing?

Old
09-09-2009, 06:34 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
I was in a game a few years back when a guy broke his neck. By your logic if you are not playing at a very high level you should just stick with not playing?
Don't be silly.
No my logic is play but play it safe. if your not making money playing hockey why take a risk at getting hurt, and loosing time at work or school, lousing money, or loosing a body part (Teeth or an eye)

As well every time I have tried a visor it fogs up. Now there is better vision.

Old
09-09-2009, 06:39 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Don't be silly.
No my logic is play but play it safe. if your not making money playing hockey why take a risk at getting hurt, and loosing time at work or school, lousing money, or loosing a body part (Teeth or an eye)

As well every time I have tried a visor it fogs up. Now there is better vision.
You have a higher chance of breaking a limb, neck, tearing muscles then you do of losing an eye.

Do you wear a neckguard? mouthguard? does your shin pads cover the calf completly? do your elbow pads meet your gloves? Anything can happen at anytime playing this game, thats what makes hockey hockey.

The whole "if your not making money, you should wear a cage" argument is just dumb.

Old
09-09-2009, 07:00 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
You have a higher chance of breaking a limb, neck, tearing muscles then you do of losing an eye.

Do you wear a neckguard? mouthguard? does your shin pads cover the calf completly? do your elbow pads meet your gloves? Anything can happen at anytime playing this game, thats what makes hockey hockey.

The whole "if your not making money, you should wear a cage" argument is just dumb.
Your just trolling. Your argument that,,, WTF is your argument any way eh?
and yes to all of the above.

Old
09-09-2009, 07:15 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Am I?

read the bottom line of the post you quoted. People get high and mighty about cages/visors but dont about neckguards and other precautions that the vast majority of players dont do to "play safe".

What does it matter if you are playing a high level of hockey? you still could lose an eye. Its just a dumb statement.

Old
09-09-2009, 07:35 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

better players have more over all control and a missed stick lift will tend not to turn into missing teeth or god forbid a missing eye.

it's dumb skating in a recreational hockey game and not using all the protection available.

Your still not making any point! so should we even put on our helmets?

it's dumb to say sure go play recreational hockey without the best protection you can afford.

you are still trolling.

Old
09-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
You're right, he's just looking to argue for the sake of arguing. The whole thing with neckguards is absurd. One guy every 8 or ten years in the pros sustains a neck injury and he makes neck gurads out to be the next best thing to sliced bread. Then in the next sentence he's slamming mouthguards and telling us that guys who wear cages carry their sticks higher and are more of a threat than guys who wear just visors or no visor at all. Trolling in a row boat with no oars.