HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Which rookies will make the opening night roster?

Old
09-09-2009, 01:11 PM
blackmarketmob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post

2. Zach Hamill - Wow, is this kid improved! Last year he looked overwhelmed in rookie scrimmages. This year he is dominant. I saw him in development camp, and he was light years better compared to the year before. He is clearly faster and stronger, and he makes very creative/aggressive plays with the puck. Don't have the Toronto fans tell you Bozak, Hanson and Stalman were the best players on the in the Toronto/Boston game; with 4 assists in a 6-4 win, Hamill was undoubtedly the first star. With an amazing camp, he could push Sobotka to the fourth line and take over Krejci's duties between Lucic and Ryder. He would be sent back down when DK returned, but it would be a great experience and confidence boost for the kid.

3. Brad Marchand - Brad scored a point per game in the AHL playoffs last year, and all signs indicate he's ready to compete for a big league spot. Of the three players here, I think he has the best chance to really have an outstanding camp where he gives the Bruins management no chance but to take him. However, with all the top 9 slots for wingers already filled, barring further injury he would have to play on the 4th line with Begin and Thornton. He still has a lot to learn about playing disciplined team hockey at the AHL level.
About Hamill, I was at the Bruins Leafs rookie game. I was obviously looking at my Leaf players, but no doubt Hamill had to be noticed. He was the best player on the ice for sure. The draw back I am guessing though, is he spent a full year in the AHL and was sent back to a rookie camp. Do you know why? Both him and Marchand are 88 birthdays, and Marchand had an amazing year with Providence, completely surpassed what I expected of him, and really did not have a place at a rookie camp having proved himself at a higher level already. As a Bruins fan, you would likely know better, so perhaps you could shed some light for me.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Karl Hungus

Shirokov has the best shot at making the Canucks. I'd give him the edge over other hopefuls like Hodgson and Grabner.

Hodgson is nursing a sore back I believe so it is hard to see him having his best showing at camp. Both Shirokov and Grabner are older than Hodgson and probably a little stronger. Shirokov has already been the go-to guy on a men's level club in the KHL while Grabner is just starting to take that role with the Moose.

I see Hodgson getting a few games before going back to junior. Grabner will go back to the Moose as the first call up and Shirokov will be on the third line and some time on the 2nd PP unit.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 02:33 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

There's another rookie that my fellow Flyers fans are forgetting - a defenseman by the name of Kevin Marshall, who was absolutely dominant at the summer rookie camp. I know that the group of six right now being pencilled in are Pronger, Timonen, Coburn, Carle, Parent and Jones. Marshall has the opportunity to outplay at least two, maybe even three of them (Parent, Carle and Jones). He's the wildcard in the Flyers training camp.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 02:47 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEmpire94 View Post
Gilroy and Anisimov are sure bets. Heikkenen, MDZ and Grachev are longshots.
i think sangs and sauer have just as good a shot at making it as heikkenen and mdz.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 03:08 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
He says he put it on over a year. Even at his age its possible to put on 20 lbs without steroids in an offseason.
The guy went through major knee surgery last year correct??? It wouldn't be hard for him to put on 20lbs of muscle. Considering he didn't workout all that much during the surgery.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 04:02 PM
TheBakester66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface View Post
I don't see how any of them are locks. They each have to beat out one of Hansen, Raymond, and Wellwood for a spot.

Sedin - Sedin - Samuelsson
Burrows - Kesler - Hansen
Raymond - Wellwood - Bernier
Hordichuk - Johnson - Rypien
It's not terribly difficult when Hansen, Raymond, and Wellwood all lack their talent.

TheBakester66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
About Hamill, I was at the Bruins Leafs rookie game. I was obviously looking at my Leaf players, but no doubt Hamill had to be noticed. He was the best player on the ice for sure. The draw back I am guessing though, is he spent a full year in the AHL and was sent back to a rookie camp. Do you know why? Both him and Marchand are 88 birthdays, and Marchand had an amazing year with Providence, completely surpassed what I expected of him, and really did not have a place at a rookie camp having proved himself at a higher level already. As a Bruins fan, you would likely know better, so perhaps you could shed some light for me.
You answered the question yourself, really. Marchand's play in the AHL all last year, and especially in the playoffs, proved to management he had nothing to gain by playing in the development camp or this rookie tournament. It is an indication that the Bruins management expects him to compete for a spot on the NHL roster. In contrast, Hamill had a tough year in the AHL. He never got off to the right start when he returned from a thumb injury, and played on a line with inexperienced players who didn't bring out the best in him. Management obviously felt he could benefit by coming to a camp like this and being a leader and the best player. I think that was the right decision.

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 05:09 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
The guy went through major knee surgery last year correct??? It wouldn't be hard for him to put on 20lbs of muscle. Considering he didn't workout all that much during the surgery.
He mentioned that he was able to take that time to focus on his upper body strength and that the injury was almost like a blessing in disguise for that reason.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 05:41 PM
nyislenut619

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwenningerWildWing View Post
For the Isles a guy named Tavares and Matt Martin has an outside chance
I wouldn't give Martin even an outside chance. Tavares is a lock, and I doubt anyone else cracks the line-up. Jesse Joensuu has a chance if he outplays Tambellini or someone else at camp, but I think he'll spend more time developing in Bridgeport. He, Trevor Smith and a couple others (Mouson? DiBo?) will probably play games in the 2nd half of the season as injuries or trades occur.

nyislenut619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 06:24 PM
yay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Is Alzner still a rookie? And if so will he make the Caps?
Didn't see anyone respond to this - Alzner is NOT a rookie anymore. He played in 30 games last year which fulfilled the criteria.

Quote:
To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in 25 or more NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.
He is easily good enough to make the Caps this year, but they have a logjam ahead of him at D (with, unfortunately, worse players than him on more expensive contracts). Unless they lose some players (waive, trade, send to Hershey [and expose to waivers in the process]), he'll have a tough time forcing his way on.

In an ideal world, Alzner would be a lock to make it.

yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 06:32 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Leafs can have up to 5 playing for them ......

Gustavsson, Bozak, Hanson, Stalberg, Kadri (long shot)

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 10:36 PM
CanadianFlyersFan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBakester66 View Post
I'm not a flyers fan. But barring injury, i don't understand why they'd keep JVR on the NHL roster as a 3rd line guy. If he somehow cracks the top 6, then great. If not, i think he spends a year in the AHL on the first line with oodles of playing time.
Theres a couple reasons
Stevens likes pairs
Briere-Giroux
Richards-Gagne
Carter-Hartnell

2. Asham, Powe, Carcillo, Lappy, Cote, Kalinski are not top 9 or 3rd line players

My invisioned lines would be:
Gagne-Briere-Maroon(who according to homer has been the most impressive rookie)
Harts-Carter-Giroux
JVR-Richards-Powe(Lappy)
Carcillo-Powe(Lappy)-Asham

Having JVR in the NHL is better for his development. It would be great to play with Richards.. he plays both ends of the rink and JVR can soak it all up and Powe or Lappy will open the ice up for a skilled player like JVR and Richards will get him the puck no matter what

Thirdly Homer is really high on JVR and he wanted him on this roster last year, thus why I think he will make the team out of camp

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 10:40 PM
CanadianFlyersFan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
There's another rookie that my fellow Flyers fans are forgetting - a defenseman by the name of Kevin Marshall, who was absolutely dominant at the summer rookie camp. I know that the group of six right now being pencilled in are Pronger, Timonen, Coburn, Carle, Parent and Jones. Marshall has the opportunity to outplay at least two, maybe even three of them (Parent, Carle and Jones). He's the wildcard in the Flyers training camp.
Theres no way he out plays Parent... that man is a machine and is a lock for the top 4. I hope they trade/buyout/just get rid of Jones and let Marshall step in

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 11:50 PM
droid56

Your team's early season surprises?

Training camp is about to open, and every serious NHL fan is hoping that an unexpected player or two surprises and contributes significantly to their team in the pre-season and and first few games of the regular season.

I'm a Canucks' fan, and I hope that any or all of Shirokov, Hodgson, and Grabner surprise us by showing that they are ready to contribute in the NHL.

Who are the players on your team that you hope emerge as significant contributors in the exhibition games and regular early season games?

droid56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 04:27 AM
Maldini3

Of course Duchene, but I expect Stoa to have a good impact on this team as well

Maldini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:07 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

Jessie MF'n Blacker.

Those that don't know of this kid will soon enough. He was a casualty of a deep Windsor team last year, and came into prospects camp and is easily our best defenseman there at 18. He hits, fights, has wheels and a big shot.

Going to be one of the steals in the second round. I'd take him over some of the defensemen taken late in the first round.

Old
09-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Nick Petrecki (I hope)

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
Jessie MF'n Blacker.

Those that don't know of this kid will soon enough. He was a casualty of a deep Windsor team last year, and came into prospects camp and is easily our best defenseman there at 18. He hits, fights, has wheels and a big shot.

Going to be one of the steals in the second round. I'd take him over some of the defensemen taken late in the first round.
Well.....Blacker had a really really rough games last night against the Penguin rookies.
He really looked lost out of place on the ice.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
Jessie MF'n Blacker.

Not doubting Blacker's potential as a prospect -- I've read good things about him -- but to reiterate the original poster's question, do you think he will make a contribution to the Leafs in the regular season this year? If so, which of the team's nine or so NHL-calibre defencemen will he beat out?

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Kevin Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Not doubting Blacker's potential as a prospect -- I've read good things about him -- but to reiterate the original poster's question, do you think he will make a contribution to the Leafs in the regular season this year? If so, which of the team's nine or so NHL-calibre defencemen will he beat out?
Blacker will no doubt be back in Windsor this season more likely playing with either Ellis or Fowler. He's no doubt a steal where the leafs drafted him because of playing on a deep Windsor team where other players steal the spotlight.

If were talking about the leafs I'll go with Victor Stalberg. He's impressed me thus far and I expect him to snag a roster spot (hopefully).

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Bryzga lol*

For the Habs, Paccioretty is destroying the competition at the rookie camp and in my opinion, should crack the top 6 ahead of S. Kostitsyn, Latendresse and D'Agostini. He's in amazing shape and seems to have gained an extra stride. Him and Subban were roughing it out on the ice and hitting hard during drills because they were the 2 most NHL ready at the rookie camp.

I'm a huge fan of S. Kostitsyn, Latendresse and D'Agostini, but Paccioretty is the only one I see making a big impact in the NHL. I think once he begins producing in the NHL, a first line of Pac-Gomez-Gionta could be great. But for now I'm predicting:
A.Kostitsyn-Gomez-Gionta
Pac-Plekanec-Camellari

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 08:35 AM
bobermay

Leafs:
Stalberg
Gustavsson
Bozak
Hanson
Kadri (Outside chance)

All have a shot.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 09:57 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Ah, guess I didn't read the original post and assumed it was about players doing well in the rookie tournaments by the title, since there's already a thread pretty much identical to this already here.

He won't be in the NHL this season, but the NHL is in his future.

Old
09-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Veela

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
He says he put it on over a year. Even at his age its possible to put on 20 lbs without steroids in an offseason.
20 pounds of weight are not always 20 pounds of muscles.

Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 11:08 AM
BringBackStevens

Giroux and Parent are locks
JVR and Maroon have a fair shot at winning a spot
Marshall, Nodl, and Kalinski have a pretty distant shot of starting out on the big club but will likely all see time with the club throughout the season

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote