HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

AV extension through 12-13

Old
09-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Macke*

vCash: 500
AV extension through 12-13

Alain Vigneault will be behind the bench in Vancouver for three more seasons.
It has been reported for some time that a contract extension for Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault is imminent, and now Sportsnet has learned it's a deal that will keep the former Jack Adams Trophy winner in Vancouver through the 2012-2013 season.

www.sportsnet.ca

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Defeatist*

If we don't get a cup by then, off with his head.

Defeatist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 01:37 PM
ubiquitous
More like Shredder

Good for AV. That's a nice little extra chunk of cash if he gets fired. Hopefully he can adapt to a more skilled game now that we've got the talent to follow through with.

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Canucker

Not a fan of this deal. I think a one year extension would have been sufficient. I like AV the person, but not a fan of him as a head coach. This team takes too many undisciplined penalties that he ignores, his line juggling is aggravating and he doesn't make use of his timeouts. Sure some of it is nitpicking but I think our lack of discipline as a team has really hurt us and that starts at the coach.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Good news, AV deserves it.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
3 year extensions are pretty much the norm, so I guess it's expected. Not bad.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Wetcoaster

Good deal for one of the premier coaches in the NHL.

I guess he truly is a "Gillis Guy" now?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Ernie

Well, I guess he's still in the Gillisian good books.

Shouldn't be a big surprise, really. From the beginning Vigneault has been all about rewarding merit, which goes along with the Gillis philosophy quite well.

I think Vigneault is in the top 15 coaches in the league. I think that he sometimes doesn't have the best instincts but it's hard not to like the guy.

The next logical move would be to shore up the supporting cast. Are we actually supposed to believe that the players take Ryan Walter seriously? They need to bring in a strong smart personality that Vigneault can bounce ideas off of and help shape the team's strategy.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Not a fan of this deal. I think a one year extension would have been sufficient. I like AV the person, but not a fan of him as a head coach. This team takes too many undisciplined penalties that he ignores, his line juggling is aggravating and he doesn't make use of his timeouts. Sure some of it is nitpicking but I think our lack of discipline as a team has really hurt us and that starts at the coach.
If you're going to give him a one year extension, you might as well fire him.

He already did the one-year extension thing to prove himself.

Old
09-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Should have hired Pat Quinn instead.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:24 PM
ubiquitous
More like Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
Pat Quinn doesn't bring anything to the table that AV doesn't already have, aside from maybe a more recognizable name. I'm definitely not a Pat Quinn fan, and if we were to go a different route in regards to a coach for this team, there are other people out there who would be better to hire.

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
HAHAHAHA oh man, no matter how many times I read stuff like this, it always makes me laugh.

Anywho, good news. I've always thought AV is a very good coach, and Gillis obviously thinks so as well.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Ernie

Quote:
I hope you're joking.

I love Pat Quinn but he's not exactly a modern coach. Sure he'll get the most out of his players but that simply is not enough in this day and age.

I think AV's wry sense of humour is one of his undervalued qualities.

Old
09-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
Pat Quinn doesn't bring anything to the table that AV doesn't already have, aside from maybe a more recognizable name. I'm definitely not a Pat Quinn fan, and if we were to go a different route in regards to a coach for this team, there are other people out there who would be better to hire.
From what i have understand, Quinn has better offense strategy than AV. It seems that our offense is either too predictable or they couldn't hold the pressure as often as it should (compare to other teams).

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:32 PM
galiano

Great signing. I'm a big AV fan. If Gillis gets him the players, AV will bring us a cup.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:33 PM
CurtisLoew

I like AV, he seems to find a way to get our team to play to their strengths. People complaining about having him as a coach are just complainers; now Crawford, there's a terrible coach.

CurtisLoew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
From what i have understand, Quinn has better offense strategy than AV. It seems that our offense is either too predictable or they couldn't hold the pressure as often as it should (compare to other teams).
If you like pond hockey, Quinn is great. X's and O's? Not so much.

Quinn has little in the way of defensive schemes - the reason that Renney was hired as co-coach in Edmonton.

Old
09-10-2009, 02:45 PM
kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Good deal for one of the premier coaches in the NHL.

I guess he truly is a "Gillis Guy" now?
I've actually wondered about this towards players. Once A new GM gets a player on a long term extension, is that player one of his guys. I think so, not that the original GM should not get any credit because he should. I feel that Sedins, Edler, Burrows, and Luongo are now Gillis' guys although, the previous regimes can be given credit for finding them, I don't think they can be given all the credit for their status as core players. We've heard it many times, being a GM is all about allocating funds so really credit for a player "belongs" to the GM of who the player signed his current contract with.

kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
While Quinn was here, he had a reputation of not liking to use young players or rookies. Players like Raymond, Hansen, Edler & Shirokov would spend more time on the bench then with AV and Hodgson would almost certainly be going back to junior. Quinn was very loyal to the players he felt had proven their right to be on the team & that meant keeping veterans around long past their prime.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Alan Jackson

Not unexpected news. I do hope that ownership is willing to eat the contract if things don't go as planned this season.

Vigneault is still learning as a coach, and hopefully he has learned some lessons from that shambles of a second round last season.

Ultimately, Gillis will demand better than winning two playoff rounds in three seasons.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
Not unexpected news. I do hope that ownership is willing to eat the contract if things don't go as planned this season.

Vigneault is still learning as a coach, and hopefully he has learned some lessons from that shambles of a second round last season.

Ultimately, Gillis will demand better than winning two playoff rounds in three seasons.
I think it is BS that AV got "out-coached" the 2nd round. It is funny how a couple people can say something and it just catches on like it is a fact. I think that tactically the first round was brilliant execution of Canucks hockey from top to bottom.

2nd round, the team played horrible, absolutely terrible. To some degree it had to do with injuries, and limitations of the players that we had in the lineup, and to another they just played awful. I would like some kind of empircal evidence that AV got outcoached, instead of just repeating what someone else said.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Britton

What's hilarious is that if Willy Mitchell gets the puck out, or Roberto Luongo stops a shot he's stopped a hundred times before we're going back to Vancouver up 3-1 and everyone is praising the heavens that AV is such a genius.

We could have Scotty freaking Bowman as our coach and people would complain that he doesn't know what he's doing. AV is one of the top coaches in the league whether people want to accept that or not.

Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
I think it is BS that AV got "out-coached" the 2nd round. It is funny how a couple people can say something and it just catches on like it is a fact. I think that tactically the first round was brilliant execution of Canucks hockey from top to bottom.

2nd round, the team played horrible, absolutely terrible. To some degree it had to do with injuries, and limitations of the players that we had in the lineup, and to another they just played awful. I would like some kind of empircal evidence that AV got outcoached, instead of just repeating what someone else said.
The injuries and depth on defence seems to be what Gillis attributes the problems against Chicago.

He seems pretty clear he has learned from that with his statement he wants at least 8 NHL Dmen available this season.

Luongo also picked the wrong game to have what I view as his worst performance of the season.

Old
09-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post

I don't think you'll get an argument out of most fans that the players laid an egg throughout the 2nd round but a lot can be attributed to coaching as well. Game 4 for instance...how do you sit back on a 1 goal lead for 2 periods? How do you explain how they looked so unprepared to play in game 6? How do you explain the lack of discipline throughout the year and especially in the playoffs...even the 1st round would have been a LOT closer if we didn't get some excellent penalty killing and goaltending. The coach is supposed to be sure the team is properly motivated and prepared to play and AV failed just as much or more than the players did.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:58 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britton View Post
What's hilarious is that if Willy Mitchell gets the puck out, or Roberto Luongo stops a shot he's stopped a hundred times before we're going back to Vancouver up 3-1 and everyone is praising the heavens that AV is such a genius.
This is exactly what I was just thinking as I scrolled down.

Results matter, obviously, but thankfully we have a GM who also looks at what happens behind the results.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote