HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ribeiro wants to join Dogs - Habs say no and Dogs games on team 990

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2004, 01:22 AM
Kirk Muller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH74
I forgot, I don't see why Ribeiro would be required to have the permission of the canadiens to play in Hamilton. Can't he sign an AHL contract with them? Does the Bulldogs belong to the canadiens or are they just in charge of bringing players to them? To have a better team why wouldn't they sign Ribeiro or another NHLer for that matter? Maybe Savard(the Bulldogs GM) would have a contrary opinion about that(because he wants our prospects to improve) but in the end it's the owner who has the last word.
I don't know all the ramipercusions but an owner getting involved wouldn't be too smart. Montreal and too an extent Dallas is playing in Hamilton to develop players. If the ownership screwed them around by doing this and thus preventing a parent club from developing players, the Montreal organization would walk out of Hamilton to say, Quebec or a multitude of places. Then what NHL club would want to go there with meddling owners.

Old
11-11-2004, 04:16 PM
saskhab

Can someone answer this question for me: Why did management say yes to Jason Ward playing in the AHL and no to Ribs and Dagenais? All 3 had nothing left to prove in the minor leagues. Ward is taking up icetime for younger players just as Ribs and Dags would have... Was Ward given special treatment because it was thought he'd bring fans back due to his AHL MVP a couple years ago?

Old
11-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab
Can someone answer this question for me: Why did management say yes to Jason Ward playing in the AHL and no to Ribs and Dagenais? All 3 had nothing left to prove in the minor leagues. Ward is taking up icetime for younger players just as Ribs and Dags would have... Was Ward given special treatment because it was thought he'd bring fans back due to his AHL MVP a couple years ago?
If I had to guess, I'd say needs. Ward is an energy winger, one that can score at the AHL level much more than Ott. But those 2 are pretty much the only wingers willing to crash the net on a regular basis and create scoring chances out of it. Kostitsyn needs to adapt (and they seem to have decided he would do that with limited ice time) and Milroy isn't going well at all.

The center position is a different story. With Plekanec and Locke going really well, 2 smallish offensive centers, and with Morgan who's a seasoned vet, they might have thought this would penalize someone.

Also, I wouldn't be ready to say Ward has nothing left to learn at the AHL level. He still needs to work on his skills a lot, mobility and stick-handling mainly, and for that he needs to play. Ribeiro has already all the talent in the world, all he needs is a stronger body and quicker legs. There's no need for him to play in order to acheive that, just hit the gym and start a program.

Closed Thread