HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

a great article about Carey Price from P Hickey.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:41 PM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
I can see what Hickey is trying to say in the article and what he hopes to accomplish. He's asserting that it would be beneficial to Price if he had to compete for the starting role rather then having it handed to him. For a 21-22 year old goaltender I can't say it's at all a completely horrible idea.

The problem I have with the article are the "facts" he uses to justify the arguement. He's attributing the Habs making the playoffs solely on the stealer play of Halak. What he's neglecting to mention is Price's amazing 1st half of the year where he had FOUR losses before getting injured. A high ankle sprain which is devestating for a goalie to overcome. He also forgets the Halak was horrid in the last month of the season and was below .500 and Price stepped in and won some bug games and finished the last month above .500.

Now, I'm not saying Price didn't have a bad year, but then it's happened to soo many young players they actually came up with a saying for it, the softmore jinx! Add to that the ENTIRE team sucked balls 2nd half and you can't expect Price to magically stop every shot when the team in front of him stopped playing. Bottom line is last year was a complete cluster **** and we've had time to regroup. I think Price will have a career year this year and will probablamatic considering he's RFA next year and we're up against the cap.

PS Halak is NOT the answer. He flops around and has no technique which is why the Habs brass or anyone who's seen him play puts no stock ino him at all imo.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 12:48 PM
carey31price31

From practise this morning it loooks like Price is going with the red pads again...

He is also using a new red stick,

carey31price31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Belso

Halak had the same team in front of him as Price did and did better overall IMO. So I don't see the harm in going with who's better in camp or give them equal amount of ice time if they both play equally well.

Who is Montreal's best D? Markov. Where was Markov Drafted? In the 6th round. How many years did it take to reach his potential? 6 years about?

I'm not saying Halak is better than Price, but he's very good and should not be used every other month. He has shown to be able to play under pressure much better then Price has at the NHL level and until Price shows he's better every other night, If Halak is playing better keep playing the kid.

Draft position is not set in stone. A player like Markov or Datsyuk can become stars without being picked 5th overall and I don't see why Halak should always get the shaft because of where he was drafted. If he's playing better, play him..

My two cents.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Miller Time

Hickey, whom i don't particularly care for as a writer, is bang on in this case...

Price needs to step up and earn the spot.

Gainey and co. messed up just about as much as you can in bringing him along to the NHL, but at the end of the day, no matter what external things have gone down, he's writting his own career story.

He's young enough that even another 1-2 years of up and down play won't stop him from growing into a top of the league type goalie, but with the reality of playing for the Montreal Canadiens, if he doesn't step up this year, the pressure may get so big that he'll buckle and be forced to play somewhere else to reach his potential.

Obviously it's in our best interest if he succeeds here, but with Halak also looking like a guy that could be a very good #1, I hope Martin has the authority to just go with whom he feels gives us the best chance to win. Period.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Kirk Muller

I agree Price needs to step up his game and everyone knows that but people can't lose sight that he is a very young goalie still. If the Montreal Canadiens are going with him as number 1, then you have to live with the ups and downs of his development into a bonafide NHL number 1. If you are going to expect a 21-22 year old goalie to lead you to promised land, then 99.9% of the time you will be disappointed.

Same goes for Halak. He had some games where he was lights out like against Colorado, Vancouver and San Jose but those nights made people forget the stretch where he gave up 3 or more in 11 of 16 games. Thats not good at either.

Both young goalies had stretches of being lit up and being great. It comes with territory.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 08:25 PM
PATCHESx67

That's the thing with habs fans.....they always only remember the negatives

Wasent Price a top goalie in every stat wise before the 2nd half of the season yea hickey we only made the playoffs cuz of halak's 16wins ya ur awesome bud

please let me know if it's normal if a team allows 40+shots every game,it's not the defence's fault why blame them when we can blame our 21year old goalie,he got drafted fifth overall he should be stopping every puck right

some people are just pathetic and think athetles are machines who never make mistakes and always play at the top of their game.I have one more thing to say,price needed that bad year to make him better for the future,he rised he's way to the top burning every level of play at such a young age ( juniors,AHL ) he had a bad 2nd half of the season when he got injured so what nobody is perfect GET OFF HES BALLS I guarantee he will bounce back LIKE HE ALWAYS DID

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:04 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
That's the thing with habs fans.....they always only remember the negatives

Wasent Price a top goalie in every stat wise before the 2nd half of the season yea hickey we only made the playoffs cuz of halak's 16wins ya ur awesome bud

please let me know if it's normal if a team allows 40+shots every game,it's not the defence's fault why blame them when we can blame our 21year old goalie,he got drafted fifth overall he should be stopping every puck right

some people are just pathetic and think athetles are machines who never make mistakes and always play at the top of their game.I have one more thing to say,price needed that bad year to make him better for the future,he rised he's way to the top burning every level of play at such a young age ( juniors,AHL ) he had a bad 2nd half of the season when he got injured so what nobody is perfect GET OFF HES BALLS I guarantee he will bounce back LIKE HE ALWAYS DID
great post patches, great post, i actually think the best part was "price needed that bad year to make him better for the future", i think your bang on with that, im also very pleased the "bad year, bad experiences" came sooner rather than later, its now only a bump in the bumps and bruises towards development instead of a possible career climax/crossroads 4-5 years down the road where he might of been in a much more different situation and much more able to just ask to be traded or jet on his own terms, thank god hes only 22

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 11:50 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
oh Halak the forgotten goaltender.

Hes performed so well for the habs but gotten so little credit/chances.
I agree.

I don't understand why the coaches kept going back to Price when Halak was playing better. I hope Martin doesn't insist on using a particular goalie when the other plays better, whether that be Price or Halak.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Kriss E

I agree that Price should earn his spot. But last season it appears he came back from injury too soon and it affected him throughout the rest of the year. Even in the ASG he looked bad.

Halak did play great for us down the stretch but I can see why they favor Price. He has the most potential out of the two. It's unfortunate for Halak but I'm sure Price will have the starting role again.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Souvenirs

Halak is overrated.

Apart from 4-5 games at the end of February, he wasn't better than Price.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 05:27 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Halak is overrated.

Apart from 4-5 games at the end of February, he wasn't better than Price.
This ^

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote