HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marleau now a King?

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2009, 08:21 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
I know! If its true I would want another piece coming back to LA. I mean I like Marleau but to give up both Fro and Stoll for him?
There's got to be another player coming our way right? It CAN'T be just Marleau can it?

Old
09-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Frolov is a UFA and Marleau is a better player.
Marleau is 3 years older than Frolov and I am sure Marleau is not as loyal to the Kings as Frolov.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:25 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

I'd be thrilled if Marleau was a King when this is all said and done, but I'd be willing to bet if this deal were about to happen, it's probably dead now. 3-way deals have a way of falling apart if the news gets out before the deal gets done.

- T

Old
09-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Frolov is a UFA and Marleau is a better player.
Marleau is also an impending UFA, 30 years old, and over twice the price with the same production numbers as Frolov. Is Marleau really going to re-sign hear on a multi-year deal for less than his $6.3 million he is making now? Why would we go with this over Frolov for $5 million? I would be willing to bet Marleau wouldn't re-sign here. He would leave for a competitor. Leave us with nothing but two empty voids in our top 6. Both he and Frolov are going to be teammates in Detroit this time next year if this is true.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
09-10-2009, 08:28 PM
matt trick

In my opinion Marleau is better than Frolov, but there is no way the difference is Stoll, especially considering how much more expensive Marleau is. Personally, I'd rather have Marleau than Heatley, but LA shouldn't be adding more.

If you end up with Marleau you will be very pleased with him however.

Old
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I'd be thrilled if Marleau was a King when this is all said and done.
Me too, but now Purcell and Moller have to fill two top 9 spots without another move.

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Moller-Marleau-Brown
Purcell-Handzus-Simmonds

I guess that's OK, but I still don't have too much faith in Purcell.

Old
johnjm22

Frolov has out performed Marleau through out the course for both thier careers, while playing on significantly worse teams.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:30 PM
gonegonegone*

Don't forget, Marleau is a Lombardi guy, his very first pick, and probably his best pick ever. Marleau is a solid 2 way guy with awesome character, just the type that your GM likes. I can see him wanting him back for that reason, as someone to help lead your young and potential-packed team.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:30 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Marleau is also an impending UFA, 30 years old, and over twice the price with the same production numbers as Frolov. Is Marleau really going to re-sign hear on a multi-year deal for less than his $6.3 million he is making now? Why would we go with this over Frolov for $5 million? I would be willing to bet Marleau wouldn't re-sign here. He would leave for a competitor. Leave us with nothing but two empty voids in our top 6. Both he and Frolov are going to be teammates in Detroit this time next year if this is true.
Unless the rumor that Marleau nixed any deal outside of California because of his wife is true, then he very well stay. Otherwise he probably would have just been sent to Ottawa and we wouldn't need to be involved at all. I'd think you have seen enough of Marleau to know the kind of player he is and that when comparing him to Frolov, the stats are really the ONLY thing that is similar between the two.

Us adding Stoll so SJ can get Heatley is total bullcrap. SJ HAS to be sending someone else somewhere, if any just for the cap.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
Don't forget, Marleau is a Lombardi guy, his very first pick, and probably his best pick ever. Marleau is a solid 2 way guy with awesome character, just the type that your GM likes. I can see him wanting him back for that reason, as someone to help lead your young and potential-packed team.
But his price tag is much higher than Dean is usually willing to pay (meaning re-signing him is probably not happening). So why would one year of Marleau be worth it?

Old
09-10-2009, 08:32 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Me too, but now Purcell and Moller have to fill two top 9 spots without another move.

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Moller-Marleau-Brown
Purcell-Handzus-Simmonds

I guess that's OK, but I still don't have too much faith in Purcell.
One problem. I dont think neither Moller or Purcell are natural LW. Does Marleau play LW? Then we can have Moller center the second line.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Unless the rumor that Marleau nixed any deal outside of California because of his wife is true, then he very well stay. Otherwise he probably would have just been sent to Ottawa and we wouldn't need to be involved at all. I'd think you have seen enough of Marleau to know the kind of player he is and that when comparing him to Frolov, the stats are really the ONLY thing that is similar between the two.

Us adding Stoll so SJ can get Heatley is total bullcrap. SJ HAS to be sending someone else somewhere, if any just for the cap.
Don't forget about Anaheim. I am sure they might be willing to make him an offer next summer.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:33 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Marleau is 3 years older than Frolov and I am sure Marleau is not as loyal to the Kings as Frolov.
True but I like the idea of an upgrade at 2nd line center and dumping Stoll's contract.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:34 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
One problem. I dont think neither Moller or Purcell are natural LW. Does Marleau play LW? Then we can have Moller center the second line.
I thought about that. I know Moller spent some time on LW with Zus and the Purcell plays LW on the PP, but you are right. Marleau most certainly does play LW, that's where he played when Thornton centered him, but I didn't think Murray would use Moller at center. I would think since Dean values centers more than wingers, he picked up Marleau to play behind Kopitar. Though, Murray does get to make the lines. I would be happy with Marleau-Moller-Brown.

Old
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Marleau is actually listed as a LW

Old
gonegonegone*

Quote:
But his price tag is much higher than Dean is usually willing to pay (meaning re-signing him is probably not happening). So why would one year of Marleau be worth it?
The fan-assumption is that Marleau HAS to stay in California because of his wife, and will sign for less to stay. There are only three teams in Cali, the ducks wont take him, it's very unlikely the Sharks sign him back.. so the Kings get to resign him at a discount. Look for a many year low cap hit Franzen like deal, cap hit around 5.5.

You guys are no longer rebuilding IMO, so much talent it's time for you guys to make some playoff runs, and Marleau is a solid piece in that direction along with Smythe.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:35 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Marleau is also an impending UFA, 30 years old, and over twice the price with the same production numbers as Frolov.
He won't be twice the price come this time next year.

Old
Captain Ron

Quote:
True but I like the idea of an upgrade at 2nd line center and dumping Stoll's contract.
You are one of the few Kings fans that sees Stoll's contract as a bad thing.

Old
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Don't forget about Anaheim. I am sure they might be willing to make him an offer next summer.
They could, but that is where I think Marleau being a DL pick would come in handy. That has to count for something, especially to a character player like Marleau.

Old
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
He won't be twice the price come this time next year.
Depends on which team he is playing for.

Without another move, this forces Moller or Purcell into the top 6. This scenario is garbage, neither of those players are ready for that.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Jarvis

Send a message via AIM to Jarvis
If it is true your games against us should be pretty interesting.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:36 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Depends on which team he is playing for.
Marleau is a hell of a player, and it'll take a hell of a player to get him. If you're talking about Frolov going the other way, then I think you have to look past stats (since they are comparable) and start looking at the rest of the package.

Playoff experience (Marleau has a ton of it. Frolov doesn't have any.)
Willingness to do whatever it takes to win (Marleau has it. Who knows if Frolov has it.)
Age (Frolov is younger by 3 years)

- T

Old
09-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Frolov's loyalty to the Kings is vastly overrated around here and I love the guy. Get used to the idea of him not being a King.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Frolov's loyalty to the Kings is vastly overrated around here and I love the guy. Get used to the idea of him not being a King.
I believe the choice of Frolov not being a King is more because of Dean than because of Alex.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Marleau's loyalty to Lombardi = overrated. If true, this is a hell of a risk with one of this organization's greatest assets.

Closed Thread