HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marleau now a King?

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2009, 08:39 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Frolov's loyalty to the Kings is vastly overrated around here and I love the guy. Get used to the idea of him not being a King.
Agreed.

Old
SFKingshomer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
You are one of the few Kings fans that sees Stoll's contract as a bad thing.
It's not right now but DL will have to dump him or Handzus contract in a year or 2. Why not upgrade the #2 center spot and allow Schenn/Loktionov time to develop?

Old
Jarvis

Send a message via AIM to Jarvis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
One problem. I dont think neither Moller or Purcell are natural LW. Does Marleau play LW? Then we can have Moller center the second line.
Marleau played on thorntons wing all last year

Old
09-10-2009, 08:42 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Marleau is a hell of a player, and it'll take a hell of a player to get him. If you're talking about Frolov going the other way, then I think you have to look past stats (since they are comparable) and start looking at the rest of the package.

Playoff experience (Marleau has a ton of it. Frolov doesn't have any.)
Willingness to do whatever it takes to win (Marleau has it. Who knows if Frolov has it.)
Age (Frolov is younger by 3 years)

- T
Frolov has spent his entire career with the KINGS and is a +24

Marleau has spent his entire career with the SHARKS and is only a +1

That should tell you something.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:42 PM
KingLB

Quote:
You are one of the few Kings fans that sees Stoll's contract as a bad thing.
Count me as another, Stoll is such a redundant player on the Kings and is overpaid for what he is....a good 3rd line center. That being said this is a bad trade value wise for the Kings, fro straight up for Marleau is even, but add in Stoll makes it worse. (Even though I value Stoll very low and I think DL does to, and realizes that contract will be a hindrance in the future for this team)

Old
09-10-2009, 08:43 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
It's not right now but DL will have to dump him or Handzus contract in a year or 2. Why not upgrade the #2 center spot and allow Schenn/Loktionov time to develop?
Considering Handzus's deal is done in 2 years why create another hole in the top 6 to allow those guys to develop? Now another top 6 guy might be needed and none of the kids are ready for that.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:44 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

For starters, I like Frolov. That being said, you do realize he has never been to the playoffs ever. He's a guy who you always expect more out of; what makes it worse is that it doesn't seem to bother him.

Everyone brings up Lombardi's qoute about bringing in guys who just want to play at the beach and enjoy the weather. Has anyone ever thought that Frolov is one of those guys...it's just that he is already here? Not saying it's a fact but it wouldn't surprise me if Lombardi felt that way.

As for this trade, SJ still has cap issues don't they? What if Cheechoo was coming back the other way as well?

Old
09-10-2009, 08:45 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Considering Handzus's deal is done in 2 years why create another hole in the top 6 to allow those guys to develop? Now another top 6 guy might be needed and none of the kids are ready for that.
"Been there, done that."

- Oscar Moller.

Old
riseandfall9

Based on the 6.3 million dollar Frolov stuff I dont think its far from the truth.

Old
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Marleau is a hell of a player, and it'll take a hell of a player to get him. If you're talking about Frolov going the other way, then I think you have to look past stats (since they are comparable) and start looking at the rest of the package.

Playoff experience (Marleau has a ton of it. Frolov doesn't have any.)
Willingness to do whatever it takes to win (Marleau has it. Who knows if Frolov has it.)
Age (Frolov is younger by 3 years)

- T
I am looking at the future, this has one-shot wonder written all over it. It is make it this year or Lombardi is fired and Marleau is gone time if this goes through. There are little guarantees Marleau stays and if he does then we are losing some kids. When did the plan suddenly shift to acquiring $6 million +, 30 year old + players?

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
09-10-2009, 08:46 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I am looking at the future, this has one-shot wonder written all over it. It is make it this year or Lombardi is fired and Marleau is gone time if this goes through. There are little guarantees Marleau stays and if he does then we are losing some kids. When did the plan suddenly shift to acquiring $6 million, 30 year old + players?
Winning was always part of the plan.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Actually building a contender was. That is not done by signing and/or trading for high priced veterans at the expense of the younger players.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
A completely opposite plan to what we have been fed for the past 4 years. I think Dave Taylor just hacked Dean's phone. Taylor the ph3ak3r h4xx0r.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:52 PM
northernKing

IMO a fair three way deal would be
OTT- Frolov, Stoll, Couture
SJ- Heatley, Purcell
LA- Marleau and Cheechoo

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Brown-Marleau-Cheechoo

Old
09-10-2009, 08:52 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Actually building a contender was. That is not done by signing and/or trading for high priced veterans at the expense of the younger players.
And just how does a team show it's ready to be a contender? By Winning!

Old
09-10-2009, 08:54 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

The deal fits with the plan fine if we trade Frolov. He isn't part of the new youth movement which is all the "stuff we are being fed". If he traded Moller and Voynov for Marleau it would be deviating. You are assuming Marleau will command the same contract next year, which he won't in my opinion. Even if Marleau doesn't resign, we then have boatloads of money to go after one of the juicy UFA's next year.

I don't like Frolov AND Stoll for Marleau at all, but if Moller can step in and fill that spot, I don't think Marleau really stops us from resigning our players at all. 30 is not that damn old.

Old
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

So if this happens it was basically Lubo and Frolov for Matt Greene and Patrick Marleau?

Count me in as not a fan of this deal if it happens!

Old
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
And just how does a team show it's ready to be a contender? By Winning!
Not if you lose your younger players because the older players have taken up all the cap space. Then when the older players retire you are back to rebuilding.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Even if Marleau doesn't resign, we then have boatloads of money to go after one of the juicy UFA's next year.
I hope you didn't say that with a straight face.

Old
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
So if this happens it was basically Lubo and Frolov for Matt Greene and Patrick Marleau?

Exactly. Marleau is not enough AND SJ still needs to shed more salary.

Old
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
I am looking at the future, this has one-shot wonder written all over it. It is make it this year or Lombardi is fired and Marleau is gone time if this goes through. There are little guarantees Marleau stays and if he does then we are losing some kids. When did the plan suddenly shift to acquiring $6 million +, 30 year old + players?
?? We're talking about Frolov, a player who will get close to the same $$ per season when he is re-signed, is only 2 1/2 years younger, has 4 fewer years of NHL experience and 9 fewer years of NHL playoff experience than Marleau does.

- T

Old
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post

And probably 2+ million in cap space.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
I am looking at the future, this has one-shot wonder written all over it. It is make it this year or Lombardi is fired and Marleau is gone time if this goes through. There are little guarantees Marleau stays and if he does then we are losing some kids. When did the plan suddenly shift to acquiring $6 million, 30 year old + players?
I agree with this... Marleau will have to be extended... My question is... Marleau won't sign for less than the 6.3 he's making now... Should HE be the guy making the most money on the team? Not wanting to give Frolov the same money shows what DL really thinks of Frolov and is Marleau really THAT much better than Frolov (with a year left on his deal - not defensively, that's for sure) that you trade Stoll, one of the team's best two-way players and their best face-off guy (an important part of being a good defensive team).

Old
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Not if you lose your younger players because the older players have taken up all the cap space. Then when the older players retire you are back to rebuilding.
Come on. Even if Marleau resigns at the same price tag, he is taken up the same cap space, possibly less, of keeping Fro and Stoll. This is all contingent cap and future wise on Moller or Purcell stepping it up. This move actually forces the youth a little more.

Unless ofcourse there is another move coming.

I'm worried about this trade hurting our team this year, not about its future cap implications. Show me some numbers, because in my head, your assumption doesn't add up.

Old
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
We'll be a younger team this year even with the addition of Marleau. Besides, I wouldn't call Frolov a younger player. Yes, Marleau is a bit older but Frolov is no young buck himself.

Closed Thread