HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Marleau now a King?

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2009, 08:58 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
I agree with this... Marleau will have to be extended... My question is... Marleau won't sign for less than the 6.3 he's making now... Should HE be the guy making the most money on the team? Not wanting to give Frolov the same money shows what DL really thinks of Frolov and is he really THAT much better than Frolov (with a year left on his deal) that you trade one of the team's best two-way players and their best face-off guy (an important part of being a good defensive team).
Kopitar ring a bell?

Old
09-10-2009, 08:59 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
?? We're talking about Frolov, a player who will get close to the same $$ per season when he is re-signed, is only 2 1/2 years younger, has 4 fewer years of NHL experience and 9 fewer years of NHL playoff experience than Marleau does.

- T
You think someone is going to give Frolov 6M on his next contract?

Old
09-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
And probably 2+ million in cap space.
Oh well in that case.. awesome!

Old
09-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
We'll be a younger team this year even with the addition of Marleau. Besides, I wouldn't call Frolov a younger player. Yes, Marleau is a bit older but Frolov is no young buck himself.
Jarret Stoll 27
Alexander Frolov 27

Patrick Marleau 30

3 years in the life of a hockey player is very significant.

Old
09-10-2009, 09:02 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
It's not out of the question...

Old
09-10-2009, 09:02 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
I don't, but that's why I think Stoll is involved. Frolov could EASILY get 4, probably 5 on the open market. So for next year, even if Marleau resigned at the same 6.3 mill, you are looking at ~7 million for both Fro and Stoll, if not over 8. Again, all contingent on Moller or Purcell being a legit top 6 forward from here on out.

Old
09-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
And probably 2+ million in cap space.
Does 2+ million play the wing?

Old
09-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
?? We're talking about Frolov, a player who will get close to the same $$ per season when he is re-signed, is only 2 1/2 years younger, has 4 fewer years of NHL experience and 9 fewer years of NHL playoff experience than Marleau does.

- T
We can re-sign Frolov for less than what Marleau is making now without even trying, and he has more years in him to still grow with this team. Marleau is entering his win now or never years - absolutely no guarantee he will re-sign with us, not to mention for a cheaper salary. It is do or die if this deal goes through. Marleau will be a glorified playoff mercenary and Lombardi gives the finger to the one player that deserves to see the postseason with this team more than anybody. Not to mention we now have to do it with pretty much a rookie in one of the top 6 spots... With Terry freakin Murray coaching >.< which means Moller will end up on Kopitar's wing or something.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Old
09-10-2009, 09:04 PM
MxK1NGS

Crazy.
Honestly did not see anything like this coming.
I have lost faith in DL if this happens.

Old
09-10-2009, 09:04 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
He'll get 5MM/yr at least.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
Old
09-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I don't, but that's why I think Stoll is involved. Frolov could EASILY get 4, probably 5 on the open market. So for next year, even if Marleau resigned at the same 6.3 mill, you are looking at ~7 million for both Fro and Stoll, if not over 8. Again, all contingent on Moller or Purcell being a legit top 6 forward from here on out.
That is a huge assumption. Maybe we should see how training camp turns out before we declare either Moller or Purcell as legitimate top 6 players.

Old
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
Does 2+ million play the wing?
Nope but it's nice to upgrade the center position, fill a physical shutdown role, and save 2 million....

Old
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Marleau is also an impending UFA, 30 years old, and over twice the price with the same production numbers as Frolov. Is Marleau really going to re-sign hear on a multi-year deal for less than his $6.3 million he is making now? Why would we go with this over Frolov for $5 million? I would be willing to bet Marleau wouldn't re-sign here. He would leave for a competitor. Leave us with nothing but two empty voids in our top 6. Both he and Frolov are going to be teammates in Detroit this time next year if this is true.
I think the trade as currently proposed is bad for the Kings but I'd be willing to take you up on that if the proposed trade does go down. I can't see Lombardi trading both Frolov and Stoll for Marleau without an understanding for his next contract.

As you may recall with the Visnovsky trade, Greene's new deal was rumored basically as soon as he was traded to the Kings, and Stoll's deal was rumored to have been done in late July.

Old
09-10-2009, 09:06 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Exactly why this is a bad deal. neither of those guys is a lock to be top 6 winger and now on top of that 6.3 for Marleau you have to spend more money to fill the hole and thats not going to come cheaper than Stoll+Frolov.

Old
09-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Will Marleau be covering up the Sharks tattoo on his ass with a Kings one?

Thanks guys! i'm here all week..

Old
09-10-2009, 09:07 PM
KingsCast

Send a message via AIM to KingsCast
Per the LA Kings on Twitter: "Kings are aware of today's ESPN report but there is nothing to it."

Dean Lombardi's text to Rich Hammond "Complete bull."

Case closed.

Old
09-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Kopitar ring a bell?
that's my point. If the Kings resign Marleau, I doubt if Anze is #1 on the team's money list.

Old
Captain Ron

Quote:
Exactly why this is a bad deal. neither of those guys is a lock to be top 6 winger and now on top of that 6.3 for Marleau you have to spend more money to fill the hole and thats not going to come cheaper than Stoll+Frolov.
JDM is assuming that Moller or Purcell will fill the top 6 position so it would be Marleau + Moller or Purcell being cheaper than Frolov and Stoll. But that is a huge risk to take.

Old
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCast View Post
Per the LA Kings on Twitter: "Kings are aware of today's ESPN report but there is nothing to it."

Case closed.
Thanks for passing along the info.

Old
09-10-2009, 09:09 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
That is a huge assumption. Maybe we should see how training camp turns out before we declare either Moller or Purcell as legitimate top 6 players.
I agree guys. I don't like the trade. I love Marleau, but I don't think this makes us a better team.

I was just refuting the point that it causes us to lose young players down the line. That's the point Telos and Ron were making and the one that got me looking like I was supporting the trade when in fact I wasn't, I was just refuting a reason for disliking it.

Old
09-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 2401
Quote:

Case closed.
Didn't DL say something close to that just prior to trading for Williams?

Old
Captain Ron

Quote:

Case closed.
That would be weird to have 2 "done deals" for the Kings in the same off season end up being false.

Old
TonySCV
One More Time

"Complete bull." - Dean Lombardi on the trade rumor.

- T

Old
09-10-2009, 09:11 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
that's my point. If the Kings resign Marleau, I doubt if Anze is #1 on the team's money list.
What? Anze is already getting his huge contract. Marleau won't get a bigger one than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
JDM is assuming that Moller or Purcell will fill the top 6 position so it would be Marleau + Moller or Purcell being cheaper than Frolov and Stoll. But that is a huge risk to take.
Agreed. I don't like having a 1 year player filling in on the top 6, not at all.

Quote:

Case closed.
Just like when Lombardi told Hammond that the O'Sullivan for Williams deal was bull.

Old
09-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I think the trade as currently proposed is bad for the Kings but I'd be willing to take you up on that if the proposed trade does go down. I can't see Lombardi trading both Frolov and Stoll for Marleau without an understanding for his next contract.

As you may recall with the Visnovsky trade, Greene's new deal was rumored basically as soon as he was traded to the Kings, and Stoll's deal was rumored to have been done in late July.
Both are way younger, had low values, and we had to overpay both of them. What happens when you get a 30 year old player from one of the best regular season teams/ contenders to one of the worst who is already overpaid? Lombardi would have to pony up some major cash, and then what? For a couple years of Marleau? How is that so much better than another 5 years with Frolov? We would have had a solid top-6 all up until now if this trade goes through. To what end? I don't see how our playoff chances dramatically change.

Closed Thread