HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boivin rips the media a new one about Francophone players!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-11-2009, 02:10 PM
  #151
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Maybe the success of these players is not Montreal's problem and a problem with the Q and the quality of players coming out of there. Considering that there are only 43 francophones player more than 50 games in the nhl last year and that a good chunk of those players are 3rd/4th line players like Begin, Talbot, Perrin, Dupuis and so forth it kind makes you wonder where the real problem lies.
if that's the problem then why does Timmins draft out of the High Schools in Minnesota?

Yourt average 3rd rounder like Hanowski gets 4 points a night in that league. People tell me that Fischer and McDonagh won the Mr Hockey award and that played in their favor, well, very few Mr Hockey recipient ever did anything in the NHL. How many players are there in the NHL drafted out of High Schools in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I'm curious do you want a team full of Quebecers or players from the Q. If it is the latter would you complain if the team consisted entirely of non-Quebecers that played in the Q (and likely speak little to no french)?
in all abstraction, yeah I'd be perfectly happy with 25 french Canadians like Giroux on my team. A lot players who come from somewhere else play in the QMJHL ... maybe not as much today with some guys wanting to stay near their mama in the Maritimes and don't want to go to Val d'Or or wherever ... most of them learn french with the likes of Kulikov, Crosby, Richards and so on

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Is it Francophones or Quebec players you want? Cause of the 2 players you mentioned one is a Francophone but not from Quebec. This only shows you don't know what you're talking about. As for which player is not from Quebec, I'll leave it up to you to educate yourself .

it only shows that your reading skills are lacking, because I've explained myself about 2 million times now


Last edited by Mathletic: 09-11-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Mathletic is offline  
Old
09-11-2009, 02:11 PM
  #152
Andy
Moderator
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
if that's the problem then why does Timmins draft out of the High Schools in Minnesota?

Yourt average 3rd rounder like Hanowski gets 4 points a night in that league. People tell me that Fischer and McDonagh won the Mr Hockey award and that played in their favor, well, very few Mr Hockey recipient ever did anything in the NHL. How many players are there in the NHL drafted out of High Schools in the US?
Because the league is not acouted as much as the Q and you're more likely to find a gm in the latger rounds drafing from High schools than you are out the Q. Moreover drafting out of high school is relatively new concept and that is why Timmins is taking advantage of it. The less people scouting a league the more chance you are able to find a gem like Detroit and Sweden.

Andy is online now  
Old
09-11-2009, 02:18 PM
  #153
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Because the league is not acouted as much as the Q and you're more likely to find a gm in the latger rounds drafing from High schools than you are out the Q. Moreover drafting out of high school is relatively new concept and that is why Timmins is taking advantage of it. The less people scouting a league the more chance you are able to find a gem like Detroit and Sweden.
who are those gems just for fun? We went over it in a previous thread and you'll find a lot more gems in the CHL than you'll find in any other league in the world. It's a complete myth that least scouted league offer more gems.


Last edited by Mathletic: 09-11-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Mathletic is offline  
Old
09-11-2009, 02:25 PM
  #154
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 21,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
if that's the problem then why does Timmins draft out of the High Schools in Minnesota?
Yourt average 3rd rounder like Hanowski gets 4 points a night in that league. People tell me that Fischer and McDonagh won the Mr Hockey award and that played in their favor, well, very few Mr Hockey recipient ever did anything in the NHL. How many players are there in the NHL drafted out of High Schools in the US?
Trevor Timmins/Bob Gainey aren't scouting/drafting players out of High School's in Minnesota because they're from Minnesota, they're scouting/drafting these players because based on their evaluation, these players deserved to be scouted/drafted.

If it weren't for the fact that we live in a world where any type of information is easily accessible, most of us wouldn't even know where these players are from, hence, it wouldn't matter.

In 1987 the Montreal Canadiens drafted the following players

Andrew Cassels, John LeClair, Eric Desjardins, Mathieu Schneider, Francois Gravel, Kris Miller, Steve McCool, Les Kuntar, Robert Kelly, Will Geist, Eric Tremblay, Barry McKinlay, Ed Ronan and Bryan Herring

3 of those picks came from the Q - Desjardins, Gravel and Tremblay
2 of those picks came from the OHL - Cassels and Schneider

The rest of them (8) ALL came from either US high schools or the collegate system.

Now I was 7 or 8 years old at the time so I don't remember very well, but was anyone in the media or fans knocking Serge Savard as much then as they knock Bob Gainey today about not drafting players from the Q? Did it even matter then? The Habs were coming off a Stanley Cup in 86' and were still a very good team then, but i'm gonna go ahead and say NO ONE cared because the Habs were winning. Just like none of this language debate came up 2 years ago when the Habs finished with 104pts

Again, who the **** cares about where a player is drafted or what language he speaks, or his religious beliefs or sexual preference, etc, none of those things have ANYTHING to do with the ability to play hockey

417 is offline  
Old
09-11-2009, 02:26 PM
  #155
Andy
Moderator
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
who are those gems just for fun? We went over it in a preceding threads and you'll find a lot more gems in the CHL than you'll find in any other league in the world. It's a complete myth that least scouted league offer more gems.
If that;s the case then what's your justification for drafting from the Q. Where's the gems from the Q, if we are to find more gems in the Chl, then let's draft from there.

Reading your last few points I don;t think anyone here knows what you're arguing about, I doubt you even know, you have no argument or no justification for why the habs should draft more players from the Q aside from Perron and Giroux. You bring up Gagner over and over, but that was a different gm and management.

You look so desperate in trying to convince others it's pathetic, you're coming off as desperate and a tab bit ignorant and xenophobic.

I'm truly convinced you are arguing for the sake of arguing. You last 5 posts have no point to them and prove nothing but the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about and that you'll complain no matter what happens.

Andy is online now  
Old
09-11-2009, 02:29 PM
  #156
couris
Registered User
 
couris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
who are those gems just for fun? We went over it in a previous thread and you'll find a lot more gems in the CHL than you'll find in any other league in the world. It's a complete myth that least scouted league offer more gems.
Do you think we can find a Lindstrom, Markov, Dastyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Streit or S.Kostitsyn in the later rounds in the Q? What good players the Q developed in the later rounds these past few years? Thanks for helping me.

couris is offline  
Old
09-11-2009, 02:30 PM
  #157
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
I'm a Nationalist, but even if the Habs wouldn,t have a single French-Canadian on their team i wouldn't feel they dont respect me or that i can't identify with the team.

I think that Gainey and Timmins are trying hard to attract Quebec born players on the team. And i like it that way.

Mustafa* is offline  
Old
09-11-2009, 02:31 PM
  #158
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 21,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
who are those gems just for fun? We went over it in a previous thread and you'll find a lot more gems in the CHL than you'll find in any other league in the world. It's a complete myth that least scouted league offer more gems.
It's also a complete myth that all Timmins/Gainey do are draft players from High Schools in Minnesota...he's drafted a total of 4 player out of 55 from High School's in Minnesota

417 is offline  
Old
09-11-2009, 02:33 PM
  #159
couris
Registered User
 
couris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
It's also a complete myth that all Timmins/Gainey do are draft players from High Schools in Minnesota...he's drafted a total of 4 player out of 55 from High School's in Minnesota
lol...it started a few years people saying we have too much euro and we need to draft NORTH AMERICAN...now we have too much north american players...we need to draft Q players.

couris is offline  
Old
09-11-2009, 02:36 PM
  #160
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 45,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
FSU would complain if the Habs won the cup, all players but one were french and that non-french player scored the cup winning goal, in quadruple OT, in game seven.

"Well, according to my studies, we would've won in a sweep if all players were french canadian, considering this study with falsehoods, many misread, misrepresented stats, with a clear language bias, an all french team would bring about some sense of brotherhood that's akin to war and thusly we'd win every game no matter what."

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
09-11-2009, 02:37 PM
  #161
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
If that;s the case then what's your justification for drafting from the Q. Where's the gems from the Q, if we are to find more gems in the Chl, then let's draft from there.

Reading your last few points I don;t think anyone here knows what you're arguing about, I doubt you even know, you have no argument or no justification for why the habs should draft more players from the Q aside from Perron and Giroux. You bring up Gagner over and over, but that was a different gm and management.

You look so desperate in trying to convince others it's pathetic, you're coming off as desperate and a tab bit ignorant and xenophobic.

I'm truly convinced you are arguing for the sake of arguing. You last 5 posts have no point to them and prove nothing but the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about and that you'll complain no matter what happens.
One of the main reasons I argue in favor of the QMJHL is the same reason that's pointed out in the study and it is that french Canadians are discriminated against and offer more production for the same draft rank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
It's also a complete myth that all Timmins/Gainey do are draft players from High Schools in Minnesota...he's drafted a total of 4 player out of 55 from High School's in Minnesota
I never asked for quanity, I asked for quality

McDonagh was drafted at what 10? and Fischer 20 I believe

I want value because I want those players to make it on the team not simply numbers you put on a board to justify your respect for a league

Mathletic is offline  
Old
09-11-2009, 02:49 PM
  #162
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 21,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
french Canadians are discriminated against and offer more production for the same draft rank



I never asked for quanity, I asked for quality

McDonagh was drafted at what 10? and Fischer 20 I believe

I want value because I want those players to make it on the team not simply numbers you put on a board to justify your respect for a league
French Canadians are discriminated against? What's with this sense of persecution all the time??? Give me a break man...So are Russians being discriminated against right now because alot of them are slipping to the later rounds in the draft? Or were Sweedish prospects discriminated against because for years teams didn't draft them because they were deemed too "soft"?

Again, this is professional sports...scouts, GM's, coaches, make their decisions based on hockey related factors, not linguistics. If there's a decrease in the number of players chosen out of the Q, it more likely has to do with the quality that's available. These types of things are cyclical

417 is offline  
Old
09-11-2009, 02:51 PM
  #163
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 45,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
One of the main reasons I argue in favor of the QMJHL is the same reason that's pointed out in the study and it is that french Canadians are discriminated against and offer more production for the same draft rank



I never asked for quanity, I asked for quality

McDonagh was drafted at what 10? and Fischer 20 I believe

I want value because I want those players to make it on the team not simply numbers you put on a board to justify your respect for a league
You know, if I did a study based on whether or not people think your point is legitimate, it's safe to say that the percentages would greatly favor the side that thinks you have no legitimate point. Thusly you are a waste of time.
I mean, I can do the study if you want for me to prove it, otherwise, if we're going to go by the fact that studies ARE facts, then you're going to have to deal with a study that proves you are a joke. You'll also have to support such a study.

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
09-11-2009, 02:53 PM
  #164
Analyzer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,999
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
FSU would complain if the Habs won the cup, all players but one were french and that non-french player scored the cup winning goal, in quadruple OT, in game seven.

"Well, according to my studies, we would've won in a sweep if all players were french canadian, considering this study with falsehoods, many misread, misrepresented stats, with a clear language bias, an all french team would bring about some sense of brotherhood that's akin to war and thusly we'd win every game no matter what."

Analyzer* is offline  
Old
09-11-2009, 02:53 PM
  #165
Habs10Habs
Retired
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,735
vCash: 255
Alright playtime is over, this thread is done.

Habs10Habs is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.