HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Huge Blueline addition in Swedish Hedman: Season Preview

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2009, 03:59 PM
DD88

vCash: 500
Huge Blueline addition in Swedish Hedman: Season Preview

As part of the HFBoards partnership program, I've been granted the permission to post the below article.

Quote:
After a busy off-season last year, the Tampa Bay Lightning encored that performance this summer, making a number of trades and free agent signings.

With another high pick at the draft, the Lightning added a huge piece with their second pick, selecting Swedish defenseman Victor Hedman.

Touted as the best defenseman outside the NHL, the 6-foot-6 giant is ready to step into the Tampa Bay lineup and will patrol a top-four spot on the blueline. Known for his size, though not overly physical, Hedman can move the puck and has been compared to both Nicklas Lidstrom and Chris Pronger. The Lightning have added a true gem in Hedman.

Hedman will play among a foursome of offseason additions in Mattias Ohlund, Matt Walker, Kurtis Foster and David Hale. Ohlund a former defenseman for the Vancouver Canucks, signed a seven-year deal and will mentor Hedman, while also creating some offensive magic from the back end.

Among that defensive core is Andrej Meszaros, who was only average in his first year in Tampa Bay, but will benefit from being surrounded by Ohlund and Hedman.

Mike Smith will receive competition in goal from Antero Niittymaki, who was added as a free agent. Neither has yet to establish himself as starter, so Tampa Bay’s goaltending still remains questionable.

The Lightning sent Evgeny Artyukhin to Anaheim for Drew Miller and a third rounder, while Radim Vrbata was dealt to Phoenix. Alex Tanguay was signed as a free agent, in place of Vaclav Prospal.

Steven Stamkos emerged in the latter half of last season, scoring 21 points in 22 games, something Tampa Bay hopes is only a preview of what the future holds. Much more is expected from Vincent Lecavalier, who scored 67 points last season, his lowest total since 2003-04.

Prediction: 13th in East
For more season previews, check out www.corywilkins.ca

Old
09-11-2009, 04:10 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

David Hale will not be near this team and Mike Smith has established himself as a starter. Did you watch him at all last year?

Old
09-11-2009, 04:15 PM
bassassin

Was 13th a number you just pulled out of your hat (the word I would like to use would probably get me a warning) there was no explanation at all. That has to be the most useless preview I have read.

Also the cap number where did that come from?

Old
09-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Quote:
Hedman will play among a foursome of
off-season additions in Mattias Ohlund,
Matt Walker, Kurtis Foster, and David Hale.
What?

09-11-2009, 04:34 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
What?
"Goes to NHL.com"
"Clicks on stats"

Mike Smith is not a good goaltender.

"Clicks on forwards"

Vinny Lecavalier wasn't good last year.

"Clicks on defense"

This team needs more David Hale. Matt who? Smaby? Who is Lashoff?

Old
09-11-2009, 04:36 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
David Hale will not be near this team and Mike Smith has established himself as a starter. Did you watch him at all last year?
Exactly what I was going to say. Anyone who actually watched Smith last year before the injury could see he has not only established himself as the starter (without a doubt) but also as a team leader. You could also say he was the best player on the team or even on the ice for the majority of games he played too.

Old
09-11-2009, 04:46 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Exactly what I was going to say. Anyone who actually watched Smith last year before the injury could see he has not only established himself as the starter (without a doubt) but also as a team leader. You could also say he was the best player on the team or even on the ice for the majority of games he played too.
Yeah he did, I cant even believe that I wanted Ramo to start in goal rather than Smith this time last year

Him or Marty were hands down the best players last year.

Old
09-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Yeah he did, I cant even believe that I wanted Ramo to start in goal rather than Smith this time last year

Him or Marty were hands down the best players last year.
You were not the only one. I knew Smith would start because they traded Richards for him but I thought Ramo was so much better and deserved to start.

It's one of the reasons I am not a scout.

Old
09-11-2009, 06:31 PM
peanutvendor

everyone seems so shocked by his analysis.

i think all that needs to be assessed in his credentials as an authority on this team is ".ca". south of the mason-dixon line? hockey knowledge? hah. give it a rest sunbathers.

Closed Thread