HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Gretzky out as coach in Phoenix....maybe

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2009, 10:09 PM
XX
... Waiting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
I talked explicitly with Doug Moss during one of the intermissions today, he told me that Wayne will be coaching as of Saturday as no ones contract/ lease (in the case of Glendale) has been dissolved as a part of these hearings and likely wont be decided before Saturday.
I'd prefer he just stay away. What if Baum rules early next week that the NHL bid wins. Is Gretz still going to show up? He has no contract, under that situation. I'd much rather Sean Burke or Greg Ireland run the practices in the meantime.

Old
09-10-2009, 10:22 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
I'd prefer he just stay away. What if Baum rules early next week that the NHL bid wins. Is Gretz still going to show up? He has no contract, under that situation. I'd much rather Sean Burke or Greg Ireland run the practices in the meantime.
So you want to trade a 4 year vet NHL coach for one that has zero NHL coaching experience? Isn't that right back to where we happen to be 4 years ago? Look I'm no fan of coach TGO, but I'm sorry he is better than those two options. What has Ireland accomplished? Last year was abysmal, Burke may be a good coach, but last year was his first in the roll of, whatever his title is. I'm sorry I will take Wayne over those options any day.

Old
09-10-2009, 10:25 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
So you want to trade a 4 year vet NHL coach for one that has zero NHL coaching experience? Isn't that right back to where we happen to be 4 years ago? Look I'm no fan of coach TGO, but I'm sorry he is better than those two options. What has Ireland accomplished? Last year was abysmal, Burke may be a good coach, but last year was his first in the roll of, whatever his title is. I'm sorry I will take Wayne over those options any day.
Really?

Of those 4 years, how many times has the team come charging out of the gates to a strong start?

Zero.

Familiarity breeds contempt. And haven't we gone through this argument? Wayne has had 4 years to demonstrate he is an NHL coach, and has not done so. To say that we are better off letting him dick around for a few days with the boys while this matter is decided is folly. Greg Ireland comes from the minors and I'm sure he knows a thing or two about how to run a hard practice. Remember what Telly said when he went to Buffalo? Ruff thought it was a joke, but Tellqvist was serious when he said it was a hard practice compared to Phoenix.

A resort town does not need a resort mentality towards practice. It needs the opposite.

Old
09-10-2009, 10:28 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
So you want to trade a 4 year vet NHL coach for one that has zero NHL coaching experience?
Come on man! Gretzky has four years of coaching ANYTHING PERIOD. Ireland has been coaching a long time. Ireland took over a god-awful, fifty loss team that had failed to qualify for the post-season for years(since their first season in existance, actually) and brought them to the playoffs, right away, in his first full year as head coach. That was just season before last. Last season, they started of TERRIBLE, but bounced back, regained their form and put together a solid second half. I believe they had thirty six wins and thirty eight losses by the time it was all said and done.

Last edited by rt: 09-10-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old
09-10-2009, 10:29 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

well then we agree to disagree. Look your 100% right on TGO, but it's possible that Ireland is a worst option at this point, his start last season was worst than anything TGO has provided us. TGO is familiar, and at this point after all I have been threw in the past 3 moths, maybe I'm growing fonder with familiarity, as right now I'm staring into an abyss no knowing whats in store for my team in the future, maybe knowing I have an experience coach that I can use as a whipping post for my complaints is just what the doc ordered.

Old
09-10-2009, 10:30 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

If Wayne's world closes, it will be Ulf.

Old
09-10-2009, 10:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
If Wayne's world closes, it will be Ulf.
Nah he's a FOG. Him and Fuhr go where "The Wayner" goes. They're his lackies. Sulliman and Ireland are Maloney hires, not Wayne, Grant, or Ulfie. Sully and Ireland probably each have more coaching experience than the other three combined.

EDIT: Check that. Sulliman only has four years under his belt. Wayne-o also has four and Ulfie has five. Ireland, though, has fifteen years coaching experience. OPJHL to ECHL to AHL. Only two sub .500 seasons in those fifteen years. He has four FULL seasons as head coach in the AHL, and has qualified for the post-season in all but one of them.

Last edited by rt: 09-10-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old
09-10-2009, 10:36 PM
hbk

I was under the impression that Gretzky had yet to cash any of the cheques he's received over the years for coaching the team. If that is in fact true, I don't see any reason for him not showing up on Saturday.

Old
09-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

I'll have to vouch for Ireland at this point in the game. Despite the fact that Ireland has been coaching far longer than Gretzy has, regardless of the level of play. The experience he's had coaching is far greater than anything Wayne has demonstrated. At this point, neither one of them have had any success in the NHL.

Old
09-11-2009, 12:45 AM
AnalogMan

Quote:
well then we agree to disagree. Look your 100% right on TGO, but it's possible that Ireland is a worst option at this point, his start last season was worst than anything TGO has provided us. TGO is familiar, and at this point after all I have been threw in the past 3 moths, maybe I'm growing fonder with familiarity, as right now I'm staring into an abyss no knowing whats in store for my team in the future, maybe knowing I have an experience coach that I can use as a whipping post for my complaints is just what the doc ordered.
Had Turris, Tikhonov, Porter and Winnik started and stayed in SA for most of the year, it would have been different. Last year we did not have the depth to make it happen. This year we do.

I have no problem rolling the dice with Ireland.

Old
09-11-2009, 06:42 AM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
I would hate to see Ireland leave San Antonio but would be very happy for him if he were handed the reigns. He's a very good coach and works very well with the young guys. He's also a hell of a nice guy. He acknowledges us season ticket holders every game during warmups and will go out of his way to ask us about our day during STH functions. Very accessible and good guy.

Old
09-11-2009, 10:34 AM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Ireland is fantastic with young players and is a proven winner as a coach. He has loads of experience and a good reputation. The smartest possible thing we could do is hire him as our NHL coach.

Unfortunately, that means we probably won't do it.

Old
09-11-2009, 01:12 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
Ireland is fantastic with young players and is a proven winner as a coach. He has loads of experience and a good reputation. The smartest possible thing we could do is hire him as our NHL coach.

Unfortunately, that means we probably won't do it.
That got a belly laugh out of me. Thanks.

Old
09-11-2009, 04:52 PM
usual suspects

Jeff Marek on CBC live reporting from the court room just posted that Gretzky is no longer the coach.

Twitter jeffmarek: Sounds like gretzky is out as head coach. Real buzz here now about it.

Old
09-11-2009, 05:02 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Until TSN says it's 100%, I don't buy it.

Old
09-11-2009, 05:06 PM
YotesFan

Coyotes BK: Big stir over Gretzky status. NHL spox concedes that Wayne's not in and he's NOT out. It's up in air.

http://twitter.com/brahmresnik

Old
09-11-2009, 07:15 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan View Post
Coyotes BK: Big stir over Gretzky status. NHL spox concedes that Wayne's not in and he's NOT out. It's up in air.

http://twitter.com/brahmresnik
Moss said to me, as a side bar, it's up to Gretz if he is the coach tomorrow.

EDIT: Moyes also stated in his "post game" interview, that TGO was coaching.

Last edited by TeamTippett: 09-11-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old
09-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
If Gretzky is out or goes, Tippett or MacTavish would be good choices for coaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Until TSN says it's 100%, I don't buy it.
FYI he's here in Phoenix right now and broke the news that Fleury is back in the NHL.

Old
09-11-2009, 10:21 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
If Gretzky is out or goes, Tippett or MacTavish would be good choices for coaches.
MacTavish? Really? Seems to me that MacTavish would be more of the same.

Old
09-12-2009, 01:45 AM
yakko

Quote:
It's funny you should say that. I got a good laugh at the idea of MacTavish as the Coyotes coach, because he's a joke. I don't think he is more of the same though. As bad a coach as I think MacTavish is, he is still better than Gretzky.

Old
09-12-2009, 02:10 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
He's got a system but the Pronger trade to Anaheim REALLY set the team back a few years. No one outside Edmonton really understood that.

Old
09-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Jakeman

Gretzky is still coach and it was confirmed on TSN by Moss and Bettman, maybe we can stop all this Gretzky speculation. I have one question; if Gretzky really has no system then why were the coyotes in the top five of the NHL before the All-star break. If you have no system, this would never happen. It's more of a case of not having great teams in my eyes.

Old
09-12-2009, 11:09 AM
PhoPhan

Do you have a link to that confirmation?

Old
09-12-2009, 11:14 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Gretzky is still coach and it was confirmed on TSN by Moss and Bettman, maybe we can stop all this Gretzky speculation. I have one question; if Gretzky really has no system then why were the coyotes in the top five of the NHL before the All-star break. If you have no system, this would never happen. It's more of a case of not having great teams in my eyes.
The team had no business being in the top 5 at that point. The stats just didn't add up. The team wasn't scoring goals, even in the first half of the season. They just happened to play more games than other teams by the ASG, and were fortunate enough to not have a whole lot of goals scored against them. Bryz was on a good streak. Olli was scoring a few.

I remember that article predicting the yotes finishing way out the playoffs (22nd I think), right around the ASG. We were all outraged - turned out the guys was right on the mark.

Old
09-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Jakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Do you have a link to that confirmation?
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290733

Yes! Read the article it's about half way down, Gretzky is still the coach.

Closed Thread