HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The Battle of Ontario: Round 1, 7:00pm (09/10/09)

Old
09-11-2009, 02:00 AM
Machinae

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM View Post
This is his 2nd game and he sucked against the Bruins in his first, allowed 6 goals I think. 2 games 13 goals allowed. I know it's a rookie tournament but God Damn.
I'm sure you'd give him the benefit of the doubt if you saw the way the defense in front of him played.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 03:08 AM
suprvilce

We do barely have any good defensive prospects, Blacker, Gunnarsson, and thats pretty much i know about our D prospects

suprvilce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Shaggyman

This was the only game I went to and I think I picked the wrong one. Anyway, a few thoughts on it.

Kadri - Impressed that even with his size he is not afraid to get his nose dirty, in a game that the leafs had nothing going, you could tell it upset him which I liked.

Stallberg - Dude looks huge but overall didnt live up the hype I was hearing. Maybe he was worn down at this point but was hoping for more.

Bozak - Showed flashes, has a few nice chances early and then barried a nice one late. Not one leaf was great but he looked pretty good.

Greenoop - Looked slow, turned down a fight in the 2nd when down 4-0 (better still be hurt) and then was glued to the bench til mid-way through the 3rd.

Hanson - Again looked big and dished out a few nice hits but didnt impress

Gilliati - Kids got wheels but no hands, will be role player back with Marlies

Entire Defence - Could not make and good breakout passes, kept cycling back in there own end or behind there own night until they gave it away, this was a really bad showing. Blacker looked ok and Gunnarson was average but Ryan, Lacriox and Perry were horrible.

Champagne - Dished out some nice hits but was otherwise non existant

Stepanovich - Looked tentative, never really saw him break stride, he just kinda hovered around the outside of the action waiting for the puck to pop to him. Played the point on the PP and always gave light passes.

Mitchell - Needs to grow the full stache back

Reimer - Had no support at all and let every high wrist shot beat him

Shaggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:33 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Not that I enjoy getting spanked, but it was good to see the kids react to that situation. I thought Kadri showed alot of heart and pretty much sparked the team himself late in the game. I didnt know he had that in him, should make him a fan favourite.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 10:14 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Greenop turned down a fight because he has an injured hand if it wasn't mentioned previously.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Shaggyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Greenop turned down a fight because he has an injured hand if it wasn't mentioned previously.
This is what I assumed when saw it live but then I ask myself the question, why play him? Whats the point of putting a slow enforcer in the line-up who is too hurt to do his job?

Shaggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:04 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

Check out this gem from the Ottawa board;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
My thoughts

Best

Robin Lehner - Wow. Just wow. He looks like a giant in the net at 6'4, 220lbs. In addition that he has wonderful angles which completely limits the shooter to try to pick a corner, which Lehner ends up stopping anyways. He's quite mobile in the net for a goaltender of such a size and looks like a Henrik Lundqvist-clone in the net. Same style, around the same size and if everything goes well hopefully both great goaltenders

Erik Karlsson - His skill shines through his play, his vision was unparralled on the ice. I didn't see any holes in his defensive game that critics always rant about. He didn't have any problems with his size and I can't see a reason why he can't be in the NHL this season. Unfortunatly I missed his pass to Condra that apparently was a brilliant play

Erik Condra - He was all over the ice, had 2 goals and was a two-way force. His hockey sense is through the roof and has some pretty nice skills. Really like his game, elite 3rd line potential.

Viktor Stalberg - The only Leaf I actually liked. Very nice speed and offensive instincts. He's not afraid to lay the body either. Had over a PPG in college this season, won't like this guy in a Leafs sweater in a few years.

Zach Smith - Crashed the net hard, was quite physical and played a good game all-around. Great captain, hit Kadri and got in a fight after he started ruunning around gooning it up. Looked like a mini-Mike Fisher to me. Convinced me that's he'll be an NHLer player even if he can't score at the NHL level, he can be a character guy/agitator.

Brandon Svendson - Loved his game. Looked small but played like an absolute warrior. Great offensive threat and can hold is own in his own zone. Reminds me of Ryan Shannon. Give this guy a contract.

Worst

Nazem Kadri - Saw what I feared of him when I was convinced Murray was taking him. Midget calibur moves. Tried all these fancy moves and they failed. If he doesn't create offense he is a worthless player and he couldn't do it tonight. The "run of hits" by Kadri was laugh worthy. He smoked Kinrade who was off-balance then barely touched another guy and then almost flew into his own bench. Announcers turned nothing into something right there.

Tyler Bozak - This guy was the best College Free Agent Signing? Looked so average it's nuts. Decent all-around, was not impressed at all. Scored a fluky, floppy goal on Lehner that Leafs fans called a snipe

James Reimer - *looks at score*

Brandon Manning - Words can't describe how terrible he played

Jordan Hale - If he had any skill he'd be a decent player
If he were any more of a homer he'd be impregnating Murray,

I don't even know where to begin, the Svedson > Kadri posts are pretty funny so was the downplaying of Bozaks goal. People who know hockey know that under the arm is most definitely a spot to score should the goalie play his glove high.

Old
09-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Machinae

He was bang on about Manning and Bozak, but there was bitterness in his Kadri write up.

Sometimes when you get really jealous of something, you do everything you can to put it down.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:17 PM
daethfromabove1979

damn i just realized: where was cowen at for the tournament?

daethfromabove1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:18 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daethfromabove1979 View Post
He isn't cleared for contact yet.

Old
09-11-2009, 08:36 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
I don't even know where to begin, the Svedson > Kadri posts are pretty funny
He was better than Kadri in the game but he's also 5 years older.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
He was better than Kadri in the game but he's also 4 years older.
HOMER!

IDIOT SENS FAN!!

OBSESSED WITH LEAFS!

GO BACK TO SENS BOARD!

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:39 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
HOMER!

IDIOT SENS FAN!!

OBSESSED WITH LEAFS!

GO BACK TO SENS BOARD!
Damn, I just can't slip by you.

You're like the Batman to my Penguin.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Damn, I just can't slip by you.

You're like the Batman to my Penguin.
I like Robin more...

Wait..

I mean..yeah...I'm Batman.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:54 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by daethfromabove1979 View Post
Was wondering the same thing ......

Quote:
He isn't cleared for contact yet.
I see

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 11:11 AM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
lehner is good
I would not be shocked if Lehner is at the same level as Jared Cowen or maybe even turns into the best player Ottawa drafted in 2009. And I am a huge Cowen fan, one who thinks he has what it takes to be a dominant franchise dman.

The Vermette trade for Leclair and CBJ 2nd round pick (Robin Lehner) is looking better and better everyday (even if Leclair loses the #1 job to Elliot).

Robin could be robbing NHL snipers for a long time.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Number13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
I would not be shocked if Lehner is at the same level as Jared Cowen or maybe even turns into the best player Ottawa drafted in 2009. And I am a huge Cowen fan, one who thinks he has what it takes to be a dominant franchise dman.

The Vermette trade for Leclair and CBJ 2nd round pick (Robin Lehner) is looking better and better everyday (even if Leclair loses the #1 job to Elliot).

Robin could be robbing NHL snipers for a long time.
Like every goalie prospect, it's stil lway to early to tell.

Number13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 01:13 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:

I don't even know where to begin, the Svedson > Kadri posts are pretty funny so was the downplaying of Bozaks goal. People who know hockey know that under the arm is most definitely a spot to score should the goalie play his glove high.
I believe that's what we'd refer to as an inferiority complex. Really, though who cares about the Senators? He even takes the time to review four of our players? lol

Our rivalry with Ottawa is like our rivalry with Vancouver.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Quote:

From the man who posted this:

Quote:
Jessie MF'n Blacker.

Those that don't know of this kid will soon enough. He was a casualty of a deep Windsor team last year, and came into prospects camp and is easily our best defenseman there at 18. He hits, fights, has wheels and a big shot.

Going to be one of the steals in the second round. I'd take him over some of the defensemen taken late in the first round.
It's a 7-1 score, of course our players would be the better ones. Kadri and Bozak looked lost on the ice, couldn't create any scoring chances and their bad play was a reason why the score was so lopsided. And it's the freakin Senators board, reading through this thread there were hardly any mentions about our prospects.

1. I never said Svenson > Kadri, just in the game. Future wise Kadri wipes the floor with him. Besides the couple hits he got on that one shift he was mostly unnoticable in the game.

2. Watch Bozak's shot, it was floppy and weak. Although placed well I might add

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote