HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT?: Music During Leaf Games @ ACC

Old
09-12-2009, 09:45 AM
NomNom
Oh Yeah

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to NomNom
OT?: Music During Leaf Games @ ACC

This is sort or a rant/question, and it's probably the least of people concerns, so bare with me here:

I was watching a few of the rebroadcasts of the Leaf games on Leafs TV from the last few seasons and so, and I noticed how the music that is played during the game, is the same un-original crap over and over and over again. Specially the last two season. I even had the chance to go to quite a few live games over the past few season, and it was the same thing over and over again. I could almost predict what they were going to play.

Now you know how you hear a song, and it brings you back to when you last heard it, or back to a time when the music was played. Well now, those songs remind me of the Leafs losing and I can't stand it no more!

So the question in all this is: do the Leafs (or the league) have to pay licensing fees to play a song? If so, it sounds like the Leafs purchased the licensing fees to like 10 songs. Either that, or the person who is charge of the music is an absolute, unoriginal and lazy moron. Sounds like he comes in, program a short play list and leaves.

Some other teams play pretty decent tunes, like Vancouver or Detroit (although, they also have the same stuff from time to time, but overall it's a much better set)

Back in high school, the school I went to, had the drama room right next to the gym. Because of this, there was a practice stage that rolled out and really nice sound system installed in the gym. Almost often, the drama team would play music to whenever we were in the gym going through whatever game we were playing at the time. It was absolutely great, considering that they played some great music. Really got you going. Specially when we had out tournaments and such.

I was hoping to hear some of the same from the Leafs, but I'm sure there is licensing fees or something preventing them to play whatever they like, freely. Even so, they should be able to play more then the 10 or so, songs they play right now.

Now since this team is going with a change, and is bringing a whole new atmosphere on the ice, what I would like to see, is possible - and I know some of may hate this idea, but a live DJ would be great. I went to a Raptors game last season and saw this, and it was absolutely a blast. Really got the crowd going, and it even seemed like the team enjoyed it as well. You can have the DJ setup somewhere in the lower bowl, and just play tunes that go with the flow of the game at the time. Ir does not have to be electronic music, but whatever fits in at that time.

For me, and I know for many here, music is pretty important. Playing the right tune, and the right time just adds that little touch which really makes the moment special.

Really hoping to hear something different this season. I'm not just speaking of a new intro, but an overhaul of the entire production of the live game.

Cliff Notes:

- Music, repeteive, suckage at Leaf games
- Reminder of the bad times.
- Needs a change
- Perhaps a live DJ
- Change of production

Last edited by NomNom: 09-12-2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Adding Cliff Notes.
NomNom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 10:06 AM
weems

The music they play at the ACC is horrible. Half the songs you hear wouldnt be played in 90% of the other arenas in the league. The music they play after a goal is awful also. Apparently Burke wasnt a fan of the music being played either.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 10:28 AM
grind your soul
Belak forever

Send a message via ICQ to grind your soul Send a message via MSN to grind your soul
More death metal.

90% of NHL teams use the same crap for between whistles/after goals. The teams that manage to stand out are the ones that use different songs for fighting, penalties being taken, goals being scored for or against the home team, and other different aspects of a game [ie: I know one team uses the Theme From Stone Cold Steve Austin for fights... Detroit uses Roxanne when the other team scores a goal... I know the Leafs used Dave Matthew "I Did It" when the opposition got a penalty, which I kinda liked...], but even still those get repetitive after 41 home games using the same set of tracks.

Either way I do agree that it needs changing. Your "live DJ" idea I don't think would fit AS well at a hockey game. The thought of having someone to choose different tracks for different points of the game, and not the same song for every game, would be interesting, but I'm not sure about a live DJ to "hype" things in between like they have at Raptors games would work. Then again, it couldn't hurt.

Last edited by grind your soul: 09-12-2009 at 10:33 AM.
grind your soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Admiral Adama

Ya, I agree 100%. The music at the ACC is horra-awful. I can pretty much name the all the songs they play: Sweet Home Alabama, Sweet Child of Mine, The Good Ol' Hockey Game and so on. I went to a saturday night leafs vs canadiens game in Montreal last year and i hate to admit it, but the music and atmosphere was much better at the Bell Centre.

Admiral Adama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Delayed Offside

music is terrible at every live sporting event i've ever been too... bad music just means go get another beer

Delayed Offside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyone View Post
music is terrible at every live sporting event i've ever been too... bad music just means go get another beer
For 10 bucks.

Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 11:11 AM
BIG BLUE

ACC music sounds either like a seniors' karaoke night, or at times, a gay pride parade

I prefer some of the US rinks, especially in the south, where they play heavy stuff...or at least more rock.

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 11:13 AM
TuckerThomas

Speaking of music. And certain songs being played at the right time to make the moment more special. Well here is a song for today! Seeing as the boys are all at Lakeshore doing medicals and physicals today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ham6vFy8v2I

TuckerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Delayed Offside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th4thurt View Post
For 10 bucks.
thankfully it's cheaper at the td garden

Delayed Offside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Saul
S'all Good Man

What kind of music? Any specific songs? I'm always looking for songs to pump me up.

Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
Can't Stop - RHCP
****ing in the Bushes - Oasis
Hybrid Moments - The Misfits
Hustlin' - Rick Ross

Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 12:21 PM
QuarterChicken

One of the most popular bands at the ACC is Metallica... which is also one of the most popular bands for airtime in other NHL arenas. The Avalanche used to play Metallica at EVERY WHISTLE.

DON'T CHANGE A THING!

QuarterChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 12:29 PM
RogerRoeper*

There needs to be more French songs.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 12:33 PM
BIG BLUE

from Metallica, you hear Enter Sandman, but I'd like to hear FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS...

others off the top of my head...Spoonman by Soungarden, Money City Maniacs by Sloan, Guerilla Radio by RATM, Dam that river by Alice in Chains, King of the Nighttime world by Kiss...Hellion/Electric Eye by Judas Priest...Hair of the Dog by Nazareth

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote