HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gretzky out as coach in Phoenix....maybe

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2009, 11:20 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

vCash: 500
Basically what was said in court in response to the question of whether TGO is still coaching the team is "there's been no change in his status".

Old
09-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Jakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
The team had no business being in the top 5 at that point. The stats just didn't add up. The team wasn't scoring goals, even in the first half of the season. They just happened to play more games than other teams by the ASG, and were fortunate enough to not have a whole lot of goals scored against them. Bryz was on a good streak. Olli was scoring a few.

I remember that article predicting the yotes finishing way out the playoffs (22nd I think), right around the ASG. We were all outraged - turned out the guys was right on the mark.
They still played well enough as a team to be in the top 5 of the western conference, you can't take that away from them. One of the key reasons for dropping out of the race had to be the key loss of Sauer to injury, along with some of the young rookies not performing .

Old
09-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Jakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Basically what was said in court in response to the question of whether TGO is still coaching the team is "there's been no change in his status".
It's in the link I provided and in the article Bettman and Moss both confirmed Gretzky isn't out.

Old
09-12-2009, 12:38 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
They still played well enough as a team to be in the top 5 of the western conference, you can't take that away from them. One of the key reasons for dropping out of the race had to be the key loss of Sauer to injury, along with some of the young rookies not performing .
I like Sauer a lot, but he was our #4 D-man. When an injury to your #4 d-man kills your entire season, you don't have a system in place.

Since Gretzky started coaching, scoring has always been a problem. PP has always been a problem as well. If we do have an offensive system in place, please explain it to me.

We're not that great at dumping and chasing.
Our passing sucks.
We're not great at owning the puck, either.
We've got speed, but lack that first pass from our D to send our guys flying.

Our PP has no creativity whatsoever. It's completely static and dumb. If we're lucky, we get a shot from the point that never gets to the goal. We're not invading the crease, and I don't know if 'deflection' is part of Gretzky's vocabulary. If we're not so lucky, we get a Jovo pass on a predictable lane and get a turnover. Or our point man is incapable of keeping the puck in the zone.

So again - you seem to think Gretzky has a system in place. What does it consist of?

Old
09-12-2009, 01:46 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

The Sauer injury situation relfected our lack of organizational depth; especially at the D position where most of our Top Prospects were/are unsigned or injured/still developing (Ahnelov). Maloney has partially addressed things by trading for Lepisto but he we're still in bandaid mode on the blueline until Goncharov, Summers, and OEL join the squad next year.

What Gretzky didn't do when Sauer went down was adapt whatever strategy he was implementing. He tried to just insert a body and keep going with what was working to date. Once it became apparent that wasn't going to work, we were in the middle of a very long losing streak that ended up killing any momentum we had managed to garner last season.

Old
09-12-2009, 01:47 PM
JonnyC

I think this was discussed earlier but I cannot find the post. Can someone explain what is included in Gretzky's salary? I assume he does not get paid 6 or 8 million solely for coaching.

Old
09-12-2009, 01:50 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Tsn reporting: that Wayne is out the moment and Ulf is running things on an "interim" basis.

Old
09-12-2009, 01:52 PM
indczn

TGO not being there for training camp is a good start.

Old
09-12-2009, 01:52 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyC View Post
I think this was discussed earlier but I cannot find the post. Can someone explain what is included in Gretzky's salary? I assume he does not get paid 6 or 8 million solely for coaching.
As far as I can tell, Moyes has been slowly buying back Gretzky's 10% share of the team through a relatively high yearly salary to coach the team.

Old
09-12-2009, 02:01 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Gretzky is still coach and it was confirmed on TSN by Moss and Bettman, maybe we can stop all this Gretzky speculation.
As long as a lot of people think he is a terrible coach, speculation around getting a replacement will continue.

Quote:
I have one question; if Gretzky really has no system then why were the coyotes in the top five of the NHL before the All-star break. If you have no system, this would never happen. It's more of a case of not having great teams in my eyes.
Oh, Gretzky does have a system, it's just asinine. Chip it out, chip it in, chase it around.

Old
09-12-2009, 02:41 PM
PhoPhan

Links, people: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290806

Old
09-12-2009, 02:44 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
TGO not being there for training camp is a good start.
Agreed. Definitely a good start. Ulf running things, though...

It should be Greg Ireland, Doug Sulliman, and Sean Burke.

Old
09-12-2009, 02:55 PM
PhoPhan

I'm not sure it's that bad. Of course, I'd rather have Ireland, but what has Burke or Sulliman shown to make you think either would be better than Ulf?

Samuelsson coached the defense last year, who performed at least satisfactorily, I thought. David Hale notwithstanding, there wasn't a defenseman I was outwardly disappointed with last year. Ulf Samuelsson running a few practices is no big deal.

Old
09-12-2009, 03:07 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

More uncertainty doesn't bode well for this teams future. How do you develop a team in this critical time, if a player has no idea who the ultimate coach is? I realize TGO runs the nonsystem-system, but it's system, but does Ulf continue that, try something different? Just another big old ? for our beleaguered future.

Just another symptom of the Moyes Swine Flu, when you think you have it beat, a new symptom arises.

Old
09-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Jakeman

Gretzky isn't out yet, it appears as though he is in contract talks with the NHL for a contract reduction like he agreed to with Ice Edge.

Old
09-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

I have no idea how Ulf is in terms of systems, philosophy or coaching, but his demeanor behind the bench certainly is a hell of a lot better than Wayne's. Ulf had to be the voice of reason behind the bench in between Barry Smith leaving and Sulliman joining.

Old
09-12-2009, 03:36 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

ESPN article on TGO [not sure if there's anything here that hasn't already been said]

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4467484

Old
09-12-2009, 04:26 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Of course, I'd rather have Ireland, but what has Burke or Sulliman shown to make you think either would be better than Ulf?
Neither is a Gretzky cronie. I guess I just want to wash my hands of all things Wayne. Keith can stay, though. I want Fuhr and Ulf right behind TGO, though, when he's shown the door.
Quote:
Ulf Samuelsson running a few practices is no big deal.
I want new blood. New ideas. Ulf is just a distraction. **** can The Wayne, bring up Ireland, and everything is settled. Less uncertainty. I want a fresh start to this season.

Old
09-12-2009, 05:03 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Whoiever is coaching thuis year will be an internal candidate. I'd like new blood too (Dave Tippett) and hope that once ownership is settled something big will happen (Dave Tippett) but no one will come here under current circumstances. The way I see it, Ulf is the guy. The only question will be interim or permanent. I'm not sure that is the best decsision but he is the one coach who has equity with the current roster and he has several years as AHL and NHL assistant. Sulliman is a good guy but if you watched body language on the bench last year, he was a bit of an outsider.

Last edited by bobbop: 09-12-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old
09-12-2009, 06:17 PM
PHX FireBirds18

I don't like to comment on Gretzky as a coach to much because of all the negative criticism surrounding the franchise already. It looks bad that arguably the greatest player in NHL history had been apart of one of the poorest displays of how to run a franchise, in professional sports. This whole summer has been a complete mess, and I can't say how happy I am that training camp is under way. One thing I always thought was weird when Gretzky first started out, he used to always whiff salts before the game started. I found that odd that he needed that to get into the game as a coach.

Old
09-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Yeah, Gretz was still just like a player when coaching. I think he would even take a drink from a water bottle and spit while behind the bench.

Old
09-12-2009, 07:57 PM
GalenYote

From Dave Vest's blog at coyotes.nhl.com

Quote:
General Manager Don Maloney also spoke about the ownership situation and the status of Head Coach Wayne Gretzky, who was not at camp on Saturday.

Wayne Gretzky
“He is the head coach of this team right now. …He just thought it was better to sit back for a
few days and just evaluate the situation and talk to people and to the league’s people to get further clarification.”

He added, "We feel good. We're not suiting up for Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals next week. We think we have a good plan in place for the next seven to 10 days and by that time we feel we'll have a lot more clarity in the situation… He’s a good man. He's worked hard for this club. We’ll have to see how the days unfold going forward.”

Samuelsson will be the acting head coach in Gretzky’s absence.

Old
09-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

I don't really get that, cause didn't both or one of either Daly and Bettman say Wayne is still the coach? Right from the commish's mouth.

Old
09-12-2009, 09:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Scott Bordow suggesting Gretzky should step down(HAHA, yeah I forgot the Tribune "existed", too)...

Quote:
...Given that uncertainty — and the players’ need for some stability — Gretzky should take the initiative and announce his resignation. I know he loves to coach, but the franchise has to come first. The team needs a coach — whether it’s Samuelsson or someone else — who will be there from day one.

Had Gretzky been successful in a suit and tie, it would behoove the Coyotes to wait on him. But let’s face it: He’s been a disaster as an executive and marginal as a coach. The Coyotes have yet to make the playoffs under his tenure.

Is that entirely his fault? Of course not. But he had the loudest voice in the organization and the biggest stick. He has to take responsibility.

More than likely, the legal battle between NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and Balsillie will drag on for months. The players will suffer, the fans will suffer, the organization will suffer.

Gretzky’s resignation won’t solve any of that. But the last thing the Coyotes need right now is another distraction.

Do the right thing, Wayne.

Walk away.
Full article here...
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/144296

I still remember Bordow's article calling for Mike Barnett's head. He said it was the first time in his career he had ever called for someone to be fired. Barnett was canned shortly after.

Old
09-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyC View Post
The salary also includes compensation for TGO's position as the team's managing partner.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290806

GMDM: A portion of his compensation is coaching, it's not the entire compensation -- he's the managing partner.

Closed Thread