HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The Michael F'in Nylander Thread (Headed to Dynamo Minsk?)

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2009, 02:20 PM
sk84fun_dc

vCash: 500
Corey M's updates on Nylander info. from today, among other news, I'll post this in the camp thread, too; sounds like 3 guys were released...Kerr, I assume Dawson, and 1 other link

"Michael Nylander did not address the cache of local media (which was about two dozen strong but did not include ANYONE from a local network television station) but he is indeed here."

"'He’s here and in great shape,' general manager George McPhee said. 'There is some discussion with some European teams. Something may develop there, but we’ll see.'"

Nylander being here, a European assignment not being made yet; as noted, it could be related to working out that deal, but as I have posted before (and some others), it could also be that Nylander wants to exhaust all possibilities of being traded to another NHL team before leaving for Europe. Never know what happens in terms of injuries during camps around the League...

Old
09-12-2009, 03:24 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Corey M's updates on Nylander info. from today, among other news, I'll post this in the camp thread, too; sounds like 3 guys were released...Kerr, I assume Dawson, and 1 other link

"Michael Nylander did not address the cache of local media (which was about two dozen strong but did not include ANYONE from a local network television station) but he is indeed here."

"'Hes here and in great shape,' general manager George McPhee said. 'There is some discussion with some European teams. Something may develop there, but well see.'"

Nylander being here, a European assignment not being made yet; as noted, it could be related to working out that deal, but as I have posted before (and some others), it could also be that Nylander wants to exhaust all possibilities of being traded to another NHL team before leaving for Europe. Never know what happens in terms of injuries during camps around the League...
That's a good point. It's just hard to imagine what type of injury it would take before a team was willing to eat that contract. I guess it is plausible if a team with a few bad contracts of its own suffers a string of injuries to their centers.

Old
09-12-2009, 05:12 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Maybe its cause I haven't been religiously on here. Maybe its how annoying those vids mess up my blackberry browser and I can't collapse them.

But was there ever any public acknowledgement on nyls beyond our speculation and the obvious ommission of him?
Cause to me, confirmation is always nice.

Old
09-12-2009, 06:35 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Maybe its cause I haven't been religiously on here. Maybe its how annoying those vids mess up my blackberry browser and I can't collapse them.

But was there ever any public acknowledgement on nyls beyond our speculation and the obvious ommission of him?
? in the last 2 days, yes...see my post a couple in front of yours with a brief comment from GMGM; also, from yesterday: "Michael Nylander has arrived, according to Coach Bruce Boudreau. But how long the veteran will remain in Washington is unclear. Boudreau acknowledged that Nylander and the Caps are actively seeking a deal to send the 36-year-old center to Europe.

"I hope it doesn't become a distraction," Boudreau said."

link

Old
09-12-2009, 07:06 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Yeah I saw it recently and that's what I was responding to. But from the wording of txpds post I thought I missed something.
I was wondering if something official came out late in aug or something.

As I said, it hard to read posts now via blackberry. Which is the easiest for me chasing a 9 month old!

Old
09-12-2009, 08:42 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Yeah I saw it recently and that's what I was responding to. But from the wording of txpds post I thought I missed something.
I was wondering if something official came out late in aug or something.

As I said, it hard to read posts now via blackberry. Which is the easiest for me chasing a 9 month old!
come on now. at nine months they're barely mobile. i just spent the day with the 3 and 1 year old, both of whom only know one speed--dead sprint. having to chase a nine month old is like having to get around jeff schultz...

Old
09-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Tarik article on Nylander.

I don't think it has the potential to become a big distraction for the team unless Nylander goes public with any beef he has towards the coaching staff and/or the front office (though it'll certainly be followed closely by fans and the media). I don't see the upside in Nylander speaking out, though, and he seems to be avoiding the local media with good reason. This isn't anything close to a Heatley-level distraction simply due to his role on the team. For now it's the same as it has been...he has no role and options are being explored.

Old
09-13-2009, 08:57 AM
txpd

Quote:

Confirmation on termination is very often something you don't get. The Capitals signing of Morrisson is all the confirmation you are going to get. If McPhee were to come out and say Nylander's days in a Caps uniform are over, that would only increase the pressure of the situation.

McPhee has no reason to say anything. He mentioned Europe today to give some direction of the situation, I am sure.

Old
09-13-2009, 09:48 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Month confirmed that nyls wasn't going to get any role in the caps lineup for sure. The roster and cap space, well that's all that anyone cares about.

Old
09-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

You know, Charles County Public Schools is still hiring.

He probably could teach geometry.

today class, we learn about the Circle!

But we learned about that yesterday!

We must perfect our circles!

Old
09-13-2009, 10:01 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
come on now. at nine months they're barely mobile. i just spent the day with the 3 and 1 year old, both of whom only know one speed--dead sprint. having to chase a nine month old is like having to get around jeff schultz...
She's surprisingly mobile in her walker, then again so is jeff shultz!

We're playing this little game I do with her toys to get her tired. I stack a few blocks and put her little toy penguin on top. Then she takes a brick and hits the rubber animal in the head.

She let's the ducky and shamoo be, but something about that penguin makes her want to smack it!

Old
09-13-2009, 01:30 PM
frasnap

Quote:

We're playing this little game I do with her toys to get her tired. I stack a few blocks and put her little toy penguin on top. Then she takes a brick and hits the rubber animal in the head.

She let's the ducky and shamoo be, but something about that penguin makes her want to smack it!
No beef with Anaheim or Vancouver, but Pittsburgh...

Old
09-13-2009, 01:50 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:

She sounds tougher than Schultz too.

Old
09-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Langway
Intangibles

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblo...wants-to-stay/
Quote:
"I come here to play in the NHL and I am looking forward to the season. I feel good and I am in good shape and I am just looking forward to the season," he said. "I am coming here with the intention to play for the Capitals. I have two years left on the deal."

When asked if the Caps came to him with a deal to go to Europe tomorrow, he responded:

"No, I am not ready for that. I am saying again, I have a two-year deal here and I am looking forward for the season to start."
Sigh. Nice to see everyone is on the same page.

Old
09-13-2009, 04:13 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Sigh. Nice to see everyone is on the same page.
This Nylander thing is going to annoy me all season long...isn't it?

Old
09-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Langway
Intangibles

$5.5M cheerleader FTW.

Old
09-13-2009, 05:19 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Mr. Nyls has a future in politics and GMGM has seemed to take lessons from Rosenhous.

Old
09-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

More like his agent has coached him up.

He's saying exactly what he needs to say to make sure he gets his cash.

It's simple, I'm here working hard, it's on them, not me. I want to play, and play here. Etc, etc, which puts the pressure on the team and limits his culpability.

Old
09-13-2009, 06:29 PM
pgreene

Quote:

brilliant!

Old
09-14-2009, 03:02 AM
gimme

I'm guessing he won't play in SEL. Don't think any of the top clubs are willing to pay that gigantic wagebill of his. Russia is my bet for MiKHL F*king Neeeewlander.

Old
09-14-2009, 09:38 AM
leova

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme View Post
I'm guessing he won't play in SEL. Don't think any of the top clubs are willing to pay that gigantic wagebill of his. Russia is my bet for MiKHL F*king Neeeewlander.
why would they match his NHL deal? he'd still be getting cash from the Caps somehow, so he could just take a $1-2M deal abroad, for extra "pocket money", so to speak

Old
09-14-2009, 09:41 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post
why would they match his NHL deal? he'd still be getting cash from the Caps somehow, so he could just take a $1-2M deal abroad, for extra "pocket money", so to speak
If he ends up going to the SEL or KHL to play, it will likely be through official channels and in that case the portion of the salary being paid by the SEL or KHL team will be paid to the Capitals not to Nylander.

Old
09-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Bananas

I hate Nyls.

Is that wrong?

Old
09-15-2009, 07:31 AM
gimme

Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post
I think he will accept less salary just to play. And KHL can pay significantly more money than SEL. But this is just a hinch. He's not that good to still play in the NHL but he could do some serious work in KHL.

Old
09-15-2009, 07:37 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme View Post
I think he will accept less salary just to play. And KHL can pay significantly more money than SEL. But this is just a hinch. He's not that good to still play in the NHL but he could do some serious work in KHL.
He'll get his full NHL salary either way. I doubt the plan, if there is one, is to have him run off breaking his contract and signing a new deal overseas. The only legit way to get it done is a loan, and in that case he gets paid the same no matter what (although how do taxes factor in?)

Closed Thread