HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Trade Proposal: Anton Babchuk

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-10-2009, 03:10 PM
  #126
Aging Goalie
 
Aging Goalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lima, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Not that Modin is easy to move, she was just saying he might be easier to move. You know moving a boulder or moving a mountain? The easiest to move might actually be Torres, not that I'd want to. He might be fairly hard to move as well.
Are we on completely different pages today? Rarely do we see things from such different angles. So just so I can grasp this; you are saying that Torres will be easier to move than Chimera? You are also adamant that Chimera is overpaid.

Chimera 1.875 per cap hit 49gp 8g 14a 22pts +8
Torres 2.750 per cap hit 51gp 12g 8a 20pts -4

I just want to make sure I fully understand this because usually I at least partially agree with you.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:16 PM
  #127
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
*Eklund*

"Anton Babchuk to be dealt in the next 48 hours. According to many sources today the Hurricanes are close to trading Anton Babchuk and the believed team to grab the talented, right-handed D-man is Columbus. Other teams with an eye on Anton are Florida and the NYI."


http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...FLA-e3/1/22876

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:28 PM
  #128
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,729
vCash: 500
Before you guys say its over because of Eklund, ************* has updated their status on the Blue Jackets and BAbachuk

"As i had reported a few days ago. Anton Babchuk may be traded soon, and im still hearing the Jackets and Devils have the best chance."

So we still have a chance.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:32 PM
  #129
5StringBuzz
Registered User
 
5StringBuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Before you guys say its over because of Eklund, ************* has updated their status on the Blue Jackets and BAbachuk

"As i had reported a few days ago. Anton Babchuk may be traded soon, and im still hearing the Jackets and Devils have the best chance."

So we still have a chance.
As long as there's another team at the table, I don't like our chances.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:32 PM
  #130
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Goalie View Post
Are we on completely different pages today? Rarely do we see things from such different angles. So just so I can grasp this; you are saying that Torres will be easier to move than Chimera? You are also adamant that Chimera is overpaid.

Chimera 1.875 per cap hit 49gp 8g 14a 22pts +8
Torres 2.750 per cap hit 51gp 12g 8a 20pts -4

I just want to make sure I fully understand this because usually I at least partially agree with you.
Hash explained it earlier. It's not the dollars so much as the term. It's easier to say "I've got X dollars I can spend this year, who can help me that fits into that?". With Chimera having 3 years left and the cap likely going down next year, you have to absorb him for 2 more years.

Now having said that, once Torres got into game shape he produced at a much higher pace then what he totals came out to. Not to mention he has a tendancy of scoring big goals while playing on the bottom six (game winners, or tie the game up). Looking inside the numbers helps out some as well.

Does that help out any?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:33 PM
  #131
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Before you guys say its over because of Eklund, ************* has updated their status on the Blue Jackets and BAbachuk

"As i had reported a few days ago. Anton Babchuk may be traded soon, and im still hearing the Jackets and Devils have the best chance."

So we still have a chance.
If true we will instantly have a PP point shot, as for the rest we will see.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:48 PM
  #132
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Hash explained it earlier. It's not the dollars so much as the term. It's easier to say "I've got X dollars I can spend this year, who can help me that fits into that?". With Chimera having 3 years left and the cap likely going down next year, you have to absorb him for 2 more years.

Now having said that, once Torres got into game shape he produced at a much higher pace then what he totals came out to. Not to mention he has a tendancy of scoring big goals while playing on the bottom six (game winners, or tie the game up). Looking inside the numbers helps out some as well.

Does that help out any?
Yep. Better player. Shorter term.

Which also happens to be why I want Columbus to keep him.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 04:01 PM
  #133
Aging Goalie
 
Aging Goalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lima, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Hash explained it earlier. It's not the dollars so much as the term. It's easier to say "I've got X dollars I can spend this year, who can help me that fits into that?". With Chimera having 3 years left and the cap likely going down next year, you have to absorb him for 2 more years.

Now having said that, once Torres got into game shape he produced at a much higher pace then what he totals came out to. Not to mention he has a tendancy of scoring big goals while playing on the bottom six (game winners, or tie the game up). Looking inside the numbers helps out some as well.

Does that help out any?
I guess we are actually seeing it different but maybe placing the same logic on different players. I see Chimera pregroin and give him a pass on post groin play. You see Torres post recovery and give him a pass on prerecovery. As far as the term I actually thought they were both signde through the same period my mistake. Verifying that though I just realized that we are still paying Westcott for the next 3 seasons....and the next 2 are at over 600k per .

We all see that a wing needs to go. I guess now it is just waiting to see which one gets traded.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 04:06 PM
  #134
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Goalie View Post
I guess we are actually seeing it different but maybe placing the same logic on different players. I see Chimera pregroin and give him a pass on post groin play. You see Torres post recovery and give him a pass on prerecovery. As far as the term I actually thought they were both signde through the same period my mistake. Verifying that though I just realized that we are still paying Westcott for the next 3 seasons....and the next 2 are at over 600k per .

We all see that a wing needs to go. I guess now it is just waiting to see which one gets traded.
The obvious solution, therefore, is to keep 'em both and move Modin.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 04:21 PM
  #135
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
If anything I started off the day trying to avoid drama. ... I was trying to be neutral in my posting.
I don't think you're constitutionally able to do that - it's part of your charm!

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 04:57 PM
  #136
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Y'know, it just wouldn't be a Puck-Rakers comment on a rumor without the good Capn' showing up to regurgitate his opinion on Portzline.

Seriously. You've said this already. You don't like him. We get it. Do you really have to keep repeating it everywhere his name is mentioned?
Every time he makes one of his bold "Not going to happen!" statements? Yes, I'll bring it up. Remember how we had "absolutely no interest" in Olli Jokinen and then later found out that, yes, Howson did have a conversation about acquiring him? His little pissing contest this summer with Eklund was also priceless. Jackets willing to trade Chimera (AP4).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Not to mention the fact (AGAIN) that Freddie has a No Trade Contract. That's a serious impediment to trade, Friends!
Only if the trade is to a team he doesn't want to play for. Modin is most moveable at the deadline, when a contender might be interested. Of course, given that the Jackets should compete for a playoff spot, that makes a trade of him unlikely unless a contender is willing to part with an offensive defenseman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Before you guys say its over because of Eklund, ************* has updated their status on the Blue Jackets and BAbachuk

"As i had reported a few days ago. Anton Babchuk may be traded soon, and im still hearing the Jackets and Devils have the best chance."

So we still have a chance.
That line from Dumb and Dumber comes to mind--"So you're saying there's a chance?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Hash explained it earlier. It's not the dollars so much as the term. It's easier to say "I've got X dollars I can spend this year, who can help me that fits into that?". With Chimera having 3 years left and the cap likely going down next year, you have to absorb him for 2 more years.

Now having said that, once Torres got into game shape he produced at a much higher pace then what he totals came out to. Not to mention he has a tendancy of scoring big goals while playing on the bottom six (game winners, or tie the game up). Looking inside the numbers helps out some as well.

Does that help out any?
Torres, like Modin is deadline bait for a team looking for depth. Pretty much the same situation as Modin with the advantage that he doesn't have an NTC.

I see Chimera as untradeable. If you need evidence of that, take a look at his long-time partner in crime, Manny Malhotra, who is still unsigned. Guys like him are a dime a dozen and he doesn't even have the "playoff warrior" cred of guys like Modin and Torres.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 06:00 PM
  #137
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
blah blah blah...


Agreed on that front, but how many teams that have to worry about the cap want a guy like Modin?
Just using Modin as an example as a guy who makes more, but has no term left which could make him easier to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Exactly, in fact, how many teams period want a guy like Modin? I think the guy was great in his prime, but these last few years have really tarnished his image, not just in Columbus, but around the league.
Tarnished his image? Why? Because he had a tough couple of years injury-wise? When healthy, the guy is a 20 goal-scorer. He is a big body who works hard and goes and stays in the tough areas. He is well respected in the league and a real pro. Has he lost a step or two? Sure, but tarnished his image? Please.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:47 PM
  #138
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,729
vCash: 500
What do u guys think our chances are of getting Babchuk?

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:48 PM
  #139
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 10,981
vCash: 500
My philosophy on everything is that there is always a 50% chance...because it either will happen or won't happen.

So yeah.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 08:44 PM
  #140
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Exactly, in fact, how many teams period want a guy like Modin? I think the guy was great in his prime, but these last few years have really tarnished his image, not just in Columbus, but around the league.
I believe "decreased his value" is the term you wanted to use (instead of "tarnished his image").

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 08:54 PM
  #141
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,277
vCash: 500
Any thoughts on offer-sheeting Dubinsky?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 05:01 AM
  #142
warlockmb
Registered User
 
warlockmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Solvay New York
Country: United States
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Any thoughts on offer-sheeting Dubinsky?
Most likely never happen but would be nice. On to Babchuk he would be the logical choice for Columbus as he is big and has a right handed big shot. Yes we need to shed salary but we also need a right shot and an extra defensman. If he was acquired why not make the trades later? I know there is budget issues but why not make an offer sheet and maybe trade Boll and Chimera via trades for draft picks to other clubs??? Makes sense to me and yes Babchuk still needs to be signed but would 2 million be that bad for a one year contract?? or maybe 2 years for 2.8 mil?? seems like a win win situation from where I sit but of course I am not Howson or even a GM. Just can not go into this season without a seventh d man as what is on the farm is not ready to be that guy. Yes they could be ready but from what I saw last season Holden, Clitsome, Roy, and Sigalet are not ready. Sigs might have been the guy but the injury puts him way behind. Yes Holden and Clitsome are good prospects but it is a long shot they are ready for 30 to 40 NHL games. Plekhanov lost a couple steps last season but if he comes in with his laser of a shot he is a Babchuk clone except a little smaller but last season he just totally lost his shot. Go after Babchuk and go from there is the logical choice and I think that Columbus is the top runner for him and if they are not then something is very very wrong!


Last edited by warlockmb: 09-11-2009 at 05:12 AM.
warlockmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 10:02 AM
  #143
Casework
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Any thoughts on offer-sheeting Dubinsky?
Always nice to have good, young centers, but he just doesn't fit since we acquired Vermette. Our top 3 centers are set, and playing Dubinsky on the 4th line would be a waste. I wouldn't want to move Vermette back to wing because 1. he's the better face-off man (one of the best) and 2. we already have too many wingers.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 10:10 AM
  #144
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlockmb View Post
I know there is budget issues but why not make an offer sheet and maybe trade Boll and Chimera via trades for draft picks to other clubs???
While trading Boll probably woudn't be that hard, what makes you think you could trade Chimera? Or Modin? Or Torres?

We keep circling around trading Chimera. People say "Trade Chimera" who never really showed a sustained, full, recovery from his injury and has 3 years left on his contract.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 10:17 AM
  #145
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
While trading Boll probably woudn't be that hard, what makes you think you could trade Chimera? Or Modin? Or Torres?

We keep circling around trading Chimera. People say "Trade Chimera" who never really showed a sustained, full, recovery from his injury and has 3 years left on his contract.
The "trading away" part of it makes sense. It's the "trading to" part where this gets fouled up.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 10:21 AM
  #146
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,439
vCash: 500
Devil, meet Details.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 12:58 PM
  #147
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
Always nice to have good, young centers, but he just doesn't fit since we acquired Vermette. Our top 3 centers are set, and playing Dubinsky on the 4th line would be a waste. I wouldn't want to move Vermette back to wing because 1. he's the better face-off man (one of the best) and 2. we already have too many wingers.
That's pretty much where I stand as well. Now, if only we can re-sign Vermette.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 07:00 PM
  #148
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,729
vCash: 500
wow still nothing on the trade front, Figured hed be traded by now.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 02:50 PM
  #149
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,729
vCash: 500
Since I think we are out of the Babchuk sweepstakes, I have an idea

What about Filatov on the point? Washington does it with Ovechkin.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 03:10 PM
  #150
Casework
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Since I think we are out of the Babchuk sweepstakes, I have an idea

What about Filatov on the point? Washington does it with Ovechkin.
Brassard and Voracek will get used there before Filatov does. Both Brassard and Voracek played there in juniors. Maybe in 2-3 years he'll get a look there, but right now I'd rather have him along the wall. And I'm not sure if he has the passing or the strength/shot to be effective from the point.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.