HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kris Russel - What should we expect?

Old
09-10-2009, 01:51 AM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Kris Russel - What should we expect?

He's already putting up some good numbers. Plays his positional pretty well. What do you think of him. Which pairing will he be playing on this year and how will he fair?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:17 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

5/6 pairing. I don't expect to see any huge leaps from Russell this year. I think perhaps he can improve on the offensive side slightly, and he has the talent, but he still hasn't learned to use that talent to make up for his lack of size on the defensive side. He's good, but I'm not overly impressed and don't expect to be this year either. Although I'd be happy if I were pleasently surprised. In any case, he does have a lot of upside, but he'll take a while to develop, especially because he's a smaller defender.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
He's already putting up some good numbers. Plays his positional pretty well. What do you think of him. Which pairing will he be playing on this year and how will he fair?
He needs to improve in his own end. He was probably our worst regularly dressed defenseman in his own end last season.

He also needs to find paydirt in the offensive zone. The skating and passing have been impressive, but the points just aren't there. His offensive sparks are undeniable, but they aren't catching flame. I really hope he arrives for the team this season. He is one of the more entertaining players on the ice.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:24 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Let's hope he worked out with the same trainer that Jake used!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
He needs to improve in his own end. He was probably our worst regularly dressed defenseman in his own end last season.

He also needs to find paydirt in the offensive zone. The skating and passing have been impressive, but the points just aren't there. His offensive sparks are undeniable, but they aren't catching flame. I really hope he arrives for the team this season. He is one of the more entertaining players on the ice.
Well put, the main issue is his defensive zone capability due to size, his minus 10 rating must improve. I do like his skating and offensive potential but that potential needs to become reality soon, hopefully this season.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Ludicrous Speed

27 points. That's about all the improvement we'll notice IMO.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Aging Goalie

I hope he manages to realize when to pinch and when to stay home. If not he needs to only be on the ice with Chimera. About the only guy in the league who will stand a chance at catching the other team on a break away because of being left open.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:28 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

After watching Hainsey and Williams man the point, it's hard to see how Russell could possibly give up many more chances.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
After watching Hainsey and Williams man the point, it's hard to see how Russell could possibly give up many more chances.
*having flashbacks*

Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 04:48 PM
FlaggerX

I'm a lot more optimistic then others here about Russell's progress next season. He did not play well early in the season but quickly regained his form after a short visit to Syracuse.

Defensively, he's never going to be Jan Hejda. Just not big enough or strong enough to go into a corner with a Joe Thornton and come out with the puck. But there are a lot of -10 defensemen playing in the NHL and that number was reached during the first half of the season, later in the year he was pretty close to even. Moreover I noticed a distinct uptick in his offensive game in the closing weeks of last year, as if the game was starting to slow down for him. This was best displayed by the end-to-end rush he scored on last year during the playoffs.

Frankly, I think his numbers will take a pretty big jump, to like 8/30 for close to forty points. He should be even stronger this season and his skating remains spectacular. This is his third NHL season, and he came directly out of juniors (where he won every trophy there was to win). I don't think he's going to become a Hall-of-Famer but I would suspect he's due for a big jump.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Xoggz22

He's already too old to improve so i wouldn't expect much any more out of him.

Personally, I would expect another significant jump in his development. He'll put up 35+ pts and improve his defensive positioning because he has another year of knowledge. He'll never outmuscle anyone (OK maybe Taylor Pyatt ) but he's good with his stick and I'm sure he's gotten stronger so that shoudl help him improve his leverage when leaned on a bit. If he can continue to improve his stick work and positional play I think he'll be just fine.

No one on the back end skates like this kid so if his decision making takes another step I think he'll be a special player. Will it all happen this year? Probably not, but he'll be vastly improved.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 04:53 PM
blahblah

He will suck less.

I don't expect anything, but I'm betting he has around 10 goals this year and 35+ points.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Renion

I'm not expecting much in terms of his point production increasing because we still don't have a good shot from the point on the PP (or someone who can pass to Russell so he can pinch in from the point), and I find it unlikely that Russell will be cracking the top four, even though that is likely where his offensive potential would have the best chance to shine.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Prophecy

After reading all 39 rules relating to posts, I forget what I was going to say...

Oh!....Russell needs to add 25 pounds or his goal scoring will be forgettable (if it ever comes). His size for a defenseman is a huge problem and here's hoping he added at least 15 pounds to his frame in the offseason. It was laughable at times to watch him try to play in our zone last year...

That sounds negative, and it is.....BUT, I'm really hopeful that Russ will add that weight and become a potent offensive force who can hold his own in our end some day. Russ in our lineup last year represented how much we needed a puck mover at that position....We put a guy in our lineup who could have used a year (or two) in the Q.

We need him for him to arrive...

Prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophecy View Post
After reading all 39 rules relating to posts, I forget what I was going to say...

Oh!....Russell needs to add 25 pounds or his goal scoring will be forgettable (if it ever comes). His size for a defenseman is a huge problem and here's hoping he added at least 15 pounds to his frame in the offseason. It was laughable at times to watch him try to play in our zone last year...

That sounds negative, and it is.....BUT, I'm really hopeful that Russ will add that weight and become a potent offensive force who can hold his own in our end some day. Russ in our lineup last year represented how much we needed a puck mover at that position....We put a guy in our lineup who could have used a year (or two) in the Q.

Accurate post, Russell has two years of pro experience vs. Methots five. I like Russells skating but he is a mini mite amongst men. He needs to start scoring some goals, learn how to get the puck over the blue line and man the power play point -soon....

Last edited by Robert: 09-11-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 09:21 PM
frickin dannie

Send a message via AIM to frickin dannie
Quote:

Do you realize that he's only 5'8"? Him adding 25 pounds? Probably impossible. He's already 40 pounds heavier than he was at like, 16.

frickin dannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Prophecy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frickin dannie View Post
Do you realize that he's only 5'8"? Him adding 25 pounds? Probably impossible. He's already 40 pounds heavier than he was at like, 16.
Several sources I quickly checked show he's 5'10"...177 pounds.

That's light and he needs to add weight.

Prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:

Yeah. And pro's would never lie about their height or weight.

As for Russell....

Towards the end of both of his pro season's, we've seen flashes. That's why I'm not getting all excited over the way he's finished the season. But Russell will be given a lot of opportunities to take over the role as a Power Play Quarterback, due to an extreme lack of options. It's up to him to seize it.

And I'll be positive and say that he will. At the very least, he's going to get a lot of opportunities, and as such, will get more points.

Projection for the OP and all the lazy fantasy people:

77 Games Played. 9 Goals. 24 Assists. 33 Points

09-12-2009, 01:34 AM
winJACKETSwin

I think #10 will point the 2nd PP unit. Other than that, he'll be sheltered, not seeing 18 minutes of ice.

winJACKETSwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 07:31 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I hope he will play with Ťjutin instead of Klesla. He will get more ice-time. And he will play in the first PP line. And then we will see his points.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 04:52 PM
frickin dannie

Send a message via AIM to frickin dannie
Quote:

Check all the sources you want -- they pad numbers. I've stood next to he (and his brother) several times, they aren't 6" taller than me.

frickin dannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frickin dannie View Post
he's definitely not 5'8". I'm 5'9" and have stood next to him. He's easily an inch taller than me.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Casework

I just want him to stop dumping it in at the blueline every time.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote