HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Zherdev signs with Atlant of KHL (post 233)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-13-2009, 11:21 AM
  #51
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,074
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
He made a terrible business mistake. If he would have approached Sather with some humility and said Ill sign for 1.75 this year he would probably be a Ranger.

But you know I just don't see Nik working out with Tortorella anyways bad fit.
Label me as one of the people who thinks the "Torts kind of guy" comments are foolish. You work with what you have and if Zherdev were back here Torts would do his best to get him integrated into what he is doing.

But I agree with the humility comment 100%. If Zherdev wanted to sign for 1.75m I think Sather would give him a 2nd chance, because we know he likes to do that.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:21 AM
  #52
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,643
vCash: 500
If we didn't have Kotalik, I'd take him back. Sadly, we don't have the cap space to squeeze him in, unless he were to take a major discount.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:24 AM
  #53
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,799
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Label me as one of the people who thinks the "Torts kind of guy" comments are foolish. You work with what you have and if Zherdev were back here Torts would do his best to get him integrated into what he is doing.

But I agree with the humility comment 100%. If Zherdev wanted to sign for 1.75m I think Sather would give him a 2nd chance, because we know he likes to do that.
Anybody who doesn't give 100% at all times should anybody's "kind of guy". It shouldn't be unique to Torts. Especially when you talk about a guy with the talent of a Zherdev.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:27 AM
  #54
blue2noise
Registered User
 
blue2noise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,486
vCash: 500
The moping on the plane back to Russia will look similar to the playoffs

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:28 AM
  #55
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,074
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Anybody who doesn't give 100% at all times should anybody's "kind of guy". It shouldn't be unique to Torts. Especially when you talk about a guy with the talent of a Zherdev.
He is talented and a little content with his talent (not lazy) but I think if he was here this season with the Rangers he would have been showing a bit more than last season in the "effort" department.

It's a little hard for either side to quantify effort, especially when a player leads the team in points when he doesn't "try" imo.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:31 AM
  #56
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,916
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
The moping on the plane back to Russia will look similar to the playoffs
bu-bu-but I have a skill set!!!

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:31 AM
  #57
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,799
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
He is talented and a little content with his talent (not lazy) but I think if he was here this season with the Rangers he would have been showing a bit more than last season in the "effort" department.

It's a little hard for either side to quantify effort, especially when a player leads the team in points when he doesn't "try" imo.
Leading the team in points says more about the dearth of offensive ability this team had last season than it does the season Z had.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:39 AM
  #58
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,074
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Leading the team in points says more about the dearth of offensive ability this team had last season than it does the season Z had.
So I assume then the opposite would be true if the team had more offensive talent? Zherdev would obviously score less with a better offensive team?

What kind of an argument is that? Zherdev is talented, "lazy" or not, and he would make the Rangers a better team.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:39 AM
  #59
mti79
Registered User
 
mti79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,249
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
No. Dubinsky's agent knows no top 4 (centers) should look like Drury, Anisimov, Boyle, Arnason. Even with Dubi, our centers are weak. Without him, we are an AHL team in that category.

However, if we add in Zherdev (along w/ Dubi) Prospal,Dubi,Gaborik,Zherdev,Kotalik,Drury,Anisimo v,Avery,Cally,Lisin is a decent top 9 (With one extra when somebody slumps.etc)
You forgot Higgins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Ales Kotalik ($3.000m)
Ryan Callahan ($2.300m) / Chris Higgins ($2.250m) / Sean Avery ($1.938m)
* Nikolai Zherdev ($1.750m) / * Brandon Dubinsky ($1.500m) / Donald Brashear ($1.400m)
Vaclav Prospal ($1.150m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.822m) / Enver Lisin ($0.790m)
Brian Boyle ($0.525m)

Say what you want about Zherdev but if we could field some combination of this roster every night, there would be no denying that we have a good team with serious depth up front.
Is Higgins able to play center? I thought he was a wing.... Similar to your lines:
Kotalik-Drury-Gaborik
Higgins-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Avery-Prospal-Callahan
Brashear-Anisimov-Lisin

I'm not going to lie to anyone... I don't hate that top 12. AA's line could get 7-9 mins a night as he acclimates to the NHL.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:39 AM
  #60
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
At least Kotalik scored a ****ing point in the postseason.

Zherdev could have been the difference in that series and he **** the bed. I don't care how talented he is, the way he played during that last stretch and in the playoffs just left a bad taste in my mouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
I can replace any skater's name with Zherdev's in that first sentence and the statement would still be true. You can't do the same for the following: The New York Ranger's don't make the playoffs without Zherdev.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
50% is Zherdev's 100%.
Doesn't say much about Kotalik, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'll take the effort.
Kotalik is Mr. Hustle all of a sudden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It is? Based on....
Based on the fact that he's not very good?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:41 AM
  #61
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,799
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Kotalik is Mr. Hustle all of a sudden?
Just saying I'd rather have the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Based on the fact that he's not very good?
Oh I see. So he hasn't played a game for this team but he's contract is a killer. Got it.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:43 AM
  #62
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,799
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
So I assume then the opposite would be true if the team had more offensive talent? Zherdev would obviously score less with a better offensive team?

What kind of an argument is that? Zherdev is talented, "lazy" or not, and he would make the Rangers a better team.
What kind of precedent are you setting by rewarding lackluster play? What about rewarding lackluster play from a guy who couldn't get more money elsewhere?

Other teams were so impressed by Z's season that he's without a contract or team the second day of training camp.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:43 AM
  #63
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 22,308
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Ales Kotalik ($3.000m)
Ryan Callahan ($2.300m) / Chris Higgins ($2.250m) / Sean Avery ($1.938m)
* Nikolai Zherdev ($1.750m) / * Brandon Dubinsky ($1.500m) / Donald Brashear ($1.400m)
Vaclav Prospal ($1.150m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.822m) / Enver Lisin ($0.790m)
Brian Boyle ($0.525m)
DEFENSEMEN
Wade Redden ($6.500m) / Michal Rozsival ($5.000m)
Matt Gilroy ($1.750m) / Daniel Girardi ($1.550m)
Ilkka Heikkinen ($0.875m) / Marc Staal ($0.827m)
Corey Potter ($0.550m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Steve Valiquette ($0.725m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $56.626m; CAP ROOM: $0.174m BONUSES: $0.000m

Say what you want about Zherdev but if we could field some combination of this roster every night, there would be no denying that we have a good team with serious depth up front.
With Donald Brashear on the 3rd line and porspal on the 4th you are just ASKING for trouble.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:44 AM
  #64
LyNX27
Registered User
 
LyNX27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,248
vCash: 500
I don't see why we wouldn't do this, we could get something for him come play off time i guess. Him setting up Gaborik isnt the worst thing I could imagine.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:46 AM
  #65
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,799
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
Him setting up Gaborik isnt the worst thing I could imagine.
We drooled at the prospect of Gomez setting up Jagr.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:48 AM
  #66
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,916
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
With Donald Brashear on the 3rd line and porspal on the 4th you are just ASKING for trouble.
I dont think thats forward lines I think thats sorted according to salary, left to right, rows of 3

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:48 AM
  #67
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Oh I see. So he hasn't played a game for this team but he's contract is a killer. Got it.
He's played games for other teams, though, right? Don't remember ever thinking I want this guy on my team, much less for 3 million a season.

I'd rather pay Zherdev 4 million than Kotalik 3 million. frankly.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:49 AM
  #68
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,074
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What kind of precedent are you setting by rewarding lackluster play.
What kind of reward are you talking about? Signing him back at a reduced price and accepting his humility? Because I'm not talking about his 3.25m price tag.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:49 AM
  #69
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...
 
Mint Berry Crunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 1,945
vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
With Donald Brashear on the 3rd line and porspal on the 4th you are just ASKING for trouble.
I might be wrong, but I'm almost sure that's just the auto-generated lines capgeek throws out.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:51 AM
  #70
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,799
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
What kind of reward are you talking about? Signing him back at a reduced price and accepting his humility? Because I'm not talking about his 3.25m price tag.
I'm talking about playing for this team should be a privilege. He's coming back hat in hand because he couldn't get the money he wanted elsewhere.

Could he even sign for less the the 3.2M?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:54 AM
  #71
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by amendandrevise View Post
I might be wrong, but I'm almost sure that's just the auto-generated lines capgeek throws out.
Great avatar.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 12:04 PM
  #72
Celestial Black
Registered User
 
Celestial Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,824
vCash: 500
I'd love Z back.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 12:06 PM
  #73
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist
 
Riche16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,436
vCash: 500
All this talk of him coming back for 1.75M?!!! Where did that come from?

He said he wanted to back for 3.25M not 1.75M.

Plus, does he really think the NYR have 3.25M to give him? He's living in a dream world. But I guess that's what got him in this spot in the first place.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 12:13 PM
  #74
Callahan Auto
Rational Police
 
Callahan Auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
You know, bringing him back at a reasonable price is all we wanted in the first place. He has his flaws but he's definitely worth a certain amount of money for this team. It'll be tricky with the cap but it could feasibly make sense.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 12:22 PM
  #75
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Had we not signed Kotalik, I'd give him 3.25. 2 mil or GTFO

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.