HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Doug MacLean on Prime Time

Old
09-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoen View Post
for everyone that says bob is a tool, thats a goal for some of their audience. They need to have a host that ticks some people off, to create talk. What would happen if the show had a guy that was always agreeable? Would you listen in to just agree? No, that would suck. Bob is a big deal because when he takes a stance on a subject, he sticks to it.
I'd settle for a guy that didn't spend 90% of his time talking about sports law and baseball. Or maybe someone who enjoyed the largest sport in Canada

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:19 AM
djp55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
I'd settle for a guy that didn't spend 90% of his time talking about sports law and baseball. Or maybe someone who enjoyed the largest sport in Canada
Don't forget boxing. Apparently the ratings for the 60-85 yr old demographic skyrockets...They should be playing commercials for 'Depends' every time they discuss boxing.

I find the sports law piece is interesting..Rob Becker's usually got something smart to say. But aside from that, I'll change the radio to AM640 (even though I can't stand Watters) or 550AM for Buffalo sports.

djp55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:39 AM
dissociater

Quote:
I'm not sure he enjoys sports in general. He's a tool, gets things wrong all the time, and takes credit for other people's ideas. Bugs the crap out of me. I tuned in briefly a few weeks ago and he tried to take credit as being the first person to push to ban fighting in the NHL.

OK bob...

dissociater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Kencaid

maclean is a complete idiot. The fact someone would want to actually talk or listen to this guy is ridiculous.

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 10:05 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissociater View Post
I'm not sure he enjoys sports in general. He's a tool, gets things wrong all the time, and takes credit for other people's ideas. Bugs the crap out of me. I tuned in briefly a few weeks ago and he tried to take credit as being the first person to push to ban fighting in the NHL.

OK bob...
He doesnt really talk about the game, the players or who scored the goals. He is much more interested in the business of sport and the management side of things. The bigger picture if you will. If you find that stuff boring then ur not going to like the show. Personally I think his show is awsome

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 10:11 AM
robdicks

Quote:
well... its summer time, talking about baseball makes sense, but why would give a **** about hockey. Hes not even Canadian, and the guy doesnt have to be forced to watch a thing. Fact of the matter is tho that you cant argue with ratings, and this guy is the cream of the crop in that department

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
well... its summer time, talking about baseball makes sense, but why would give a **** about hockey. Hes not even Canadian, and the guy doesnt have to be forced to watch a thing. Fact of the matter is tho that you cant argue with ratings, and this guy is the cream of the crop in that department
well, he's kinda the only sports radio on for 90% of the commuter hours... not hard to get ratings that way. it's kind of like having a trapped (cars) audience, and only two options 640-590. it's that or listen to fm, or an ipod.

I know the Bill Waters show is on too, and they probably gave Bobcat a huge hit to his ratings when they launched...

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Garbs

I really enjoy McCown, but I always listen for Brunt. He has a marvelous dry wit. Good show.

Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Garbs

ps. Doug MacLean is a clownshoe.

Old
09-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
but he drafted Rick Nash!

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Ratboy
Leafs DGAF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanLackey View Post
I know the Bill Waters show is on too, and they probably gave Bobcat a huge hit to his ratings when they launched...
I can't stand that show. Not that Watters is that bad, cause he isn't, it's that Greg Brady. Just an annoying, know-nothing snot..

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclaiming93 View Post
I can't stand that show. Not that Watters is that bad, cause he isn't, it's that Greg Brady. Just an annoying, know-nothing snot..
agreed. I haven't listened to the radio since I moved downtown and bought a sweet road bike anyway...

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:09 PM
MsWoof

I like McCown's show. He isn't as big of an ass as he used to be when he was only on the radio. I like Brunt, Kelley etc. and I think they have really interesting topics. He's one of the few sports guys who doesn't kiss too many butts. I really hate sports guys who drool all over the players and coaches but McCown talks to them like they're just regular people.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

I have to say, MacLean had some reasonable points but the mannor in which he presented himself definately wasnt professional.

Woodman19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Garbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I have to say, MacLean had some reasonable points but the mannor in which he presented himself definately wasnt professional.
Which points?

Old
09-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
Which points?
that being a former BOG member could be a positive for the Balsillie group moving forward

Woodman19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Torgo

That was pretty entertaining. Maclean is a joke, he'll do anything to get noticed(not necessarily in this case) and he is so desperate to get close to the NHL that he will do a 180 on his stance if it helps.

Whenever he's on T.V. he yells above everyone and he LOVES to toot his own horn whenever he can, just makes him look like an even bigger tool. How did this assclown get a job in the NHL to begin with?

Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 12:01 AM
MadarameIkakku83

hahahah, that was great, thx for posting it whoever it was, laughed my ass off... i prefer to listen to leafs lunch on 640 although that program definitely took a turn for the worse when jeff marek left for cbc, not that dreger isnt as good, but hes in and out all the time and i dont like that brady guy that fills in for him

MadarameIkakku83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Wendel17

I have no hate on for McCowan. He's not an expert on any one sport, nor has he ever professed to be. He's admitted several times on the radio that he is terribly bored of his job. Despite this, he still delivers an entertaining show. I also enjoy listening to Brunt and Kelly. Both are really smart guys. I don't enjoy every segment they do (especially the steroids in baseball stuff), but that's what FM and Bill Watters are for. You can't please everyone all the time.

As for Doug McClean, wow. Just wow. He acted like a total child. Really unprofessional. What does he expect people to say? He railed on and on against Balsillie from the beginning, then gets offered a job, and does a complete 180. He's obviously desperate for a GM job. Just admit it, or dance around it like a politician would. But don't make an a$$ of yourself.

Wendel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 08:43 PM
fourofakindfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendel17 View Post
I have no hate on for McCowan. He's not an expert on any one sport, nor has he ever professed to be. He's admitted several times on the radio that he is terribly bored of his job. Despite this, he still delivers an entertaining show. I also enjoy listening to Brunt and Kelly. Both are really smart guys. I don't enjoy every segment they do (especially the steroids in baseball stuff), but that's what FM and Bill Watters are for. You can't please everyone all the time.

As for Doug McClean, wow. Just wow. He acted like a total child. Really unprofessional. What does he expect people to say? He railed on and on against Balsillie from the beginning, then gets offered a job, and does a complete 180. He's obviously desperate for a GM job. Just admit it, or dance around it like a politician would. But don't make an a$$ of yourself.
I'm pretty sure he did admit it? Bob asked him flatout and he gave somewhat of a roundabout answer but he basically agreed that the opportunity to help build another NHL team was a strong reason for joining with Balsillie.

fourofakindfowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 08:54 PM
fourofakindfowl

On another note, Maclean and McCown are both professionals. They know the bottom line is ratings, so you have to take that into account when you hear something like this. Maclean even said it when responding to Bob's accustaing that he was a 'turncoat' (paraphrasing) "Thats an idiotic statement Bob; you know the business, I've heard you flip flop on numerous issues..etc...". This argument seemed legitimate and real, but it is important to realize that both these men are professional radio hosts who realize that heated arguments equal good ratings.

p.s. I'm a huge fan of both McCown and Maclean.

fourofakindfowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Wendel17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourofakindfowl View Post
I'm pretty sure he did admit it? Bob asked him flatout and he gave somewhat of a roundabout answer but he basically agreed that the opportunity to help build another NHL team was a strong reason for joining with Balsillie.
He kind of admitted it. He said he looked forward to having an opportunity to build an NHL team in Hamilton, but he didn't go so far as to just admit he's a hypocrite. He should have either admitted it all the way, or just danced around the question.

Wendel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 905
I pulled into the parking lot of my home coming from work and was sitting in the car for 10 minutes listening. It was priceless! I like how DM got grilled

He should have said this: "I think that the way Ballsillie went after it was wrong. I accepted the position to make it right."

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:38 AM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
He doesnt really talk about the game, the players or who scored the goals. He is much more interested in the business of sport and the management side of things. The bigger picture if you will. If you find that stuff boring then ur not going to like the show. Personally I think his show is awsome
His show is different from what is on most sports radio. There is only so long you can fill the airwaves talking about last nights goals or over-analyzing everything that happened. I think this is even more the case now that sports forums and sports websites dominate peoples lives. Why would I tune in to listen to three people talk about details from a game when I can read and make comments on here?

He talks about a different part of the game which can be very interesting at times. It's not for everyone, but I do believe it's the highest rated radio show in Canada.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote