HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Zherdev offers to return to NYRS for his QO

Old
09-13-2009, 11:13 AM
VelvetJones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
What this more proves is that the arbitration scale is flawed. If that's what you're awarded, if the team doesn't want him, I'm sure it's designed so that someone else would. That's something that needs to be fixed here.
Without a salary cap that probably would be true.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:30 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangradi View Post
I dunno why Nashville hasn't snatched him up yet...
Maybe because he doesn't fit well with the kind of hardworking team that Trotz puts on the ice?

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Pepper

I'd love to see teams blacklist idiots like Zherdev until his asking price is below his QO.

Sather

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:40 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
What this more proves is that the arbitration scale is flawed. If that's what you're awarded, if the team doesn't want him, I'm sure it's designed so that someone else would. That's something that needs to be fixed here.
The arbitrator just looks at the stats as they compare to a similar player... a computer could do that in a split second...

He looks at the stats not at the "intangibles". Z is a perfect example of a flawed system. Every GM questions his work ethic, focus etc....hockey is never just about the stats right?

09-13-2009, 12:23 PM
VJ Rangerfan

Send a message via AIM to VJ Rangerfan
If the Rangers had more cap space I wouldn't hate having him back as he didn't do "bad" in his first season on Broadway, a place notorious for skilled players showing up only to be terrible here. For those who say he disappeared in the playoffs, it was the kids 1st playoff appearance ever and many falter in that spot, some don't, but not many come into the playoffs and are an immediate stud.

The only reason I don't want him back, is the way Z and his agent handled this situation this off-season.

VJ Rangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Two words no one can ever say as a pro Rangers' fan is good contract.

They might even sacrifice a good contract to get a bad contract. Things must change at some point.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 12:30 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
ur darn tyutin he's laughing...........alright i'm a geek
I have always wished that his first name was Ryutin.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Bourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What happened to Zherdev's deal with Atlanta? He couldn't stop talking about it ten days ago. They would rather see if Evander Kane makes the team rather than get involved with Zherdev.
If Zherdev wasn't Russian, I don't think Atlanta considers him. They want to appease Kovalchuk, but as a club, Zherdev isn't going to get them closer to contention.

Evander Kane isn't going to make the same impact this year, but he's going to be more important to the team than Zherdev will ever be. The question is, is Kane NHL ready and are the Thrashers ruining this young man by rushing him? We'll see.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 12:38 PM
AintLifeGrand

We probably are going to screw him up by rushing him

DW NEEDS TO QUIT ***** FOOTING, SIGN ZHERDEV YOU SON OF A *****

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

This is like, breaking up with your girl, then trying to get back with her.

Actually, it's a lot more embarrassing since the public is sitting back viewing the whole saga as if it's some kind of sitcom.

Zherdev and his agent are complete morons.

What did they actually expect? A quick glance at our cap space will show that we'll need to unload salary in order to re-sign him.

Does Zherdev actually think Sather (of all people) is going to cut some corners so we can accommodate his salary after he rejected a very fair Q.O?

Zherdev is a fool.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 01:41 PM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

a lot of these unsigned players are learning that holding out is a gamble. For Z, Moore, and others that gamble has failed.

He now has to decide weither he wants to play hockey at a "bargain" price, or wait it out and hope somebody has injury woes and can afford a 3M player

I think Z should either take what he can get now (1.5-2M?) while there might be a spot or 2 left, or go to the KHL. His hope of a 3.25M salary in the NHL is gone

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post

Sather
No need for the handclap.

Sather invested a top-4 D-man for this dumb ****.

I understand the gamble was well worth it, but damn, I really didn't expect things to turn out like this.

Old
09-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cage View Post
a lot of these unsigned players are learning that holding out is a gamble. For Z, Moore, and others that gamble has failed.

He now has to decide weither he wants to play hockey at a "bargain" price, or wait it out and hope somebody has injury woes and can afford a 3M player

I think Z should either take what he can get now (1.5-2M?) while there might be a spot or 2 left, or go to the KHL. His hope of a 3.25M salary in the NHL is gone
The suits representing these players should have a better understanding of the market.

It's not rocket science. I'm surprised some of these guys have jobs.

Old
09-13-2009, 02:04 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Call him an idiot all you want - at least he wants to play in the NHL. I don't even like him as a player but so many players are bolting and he's not one of them.

Yes, he was greedy by wanting more money. But at the same time, The Rangers are in the same boat for trying to lowball him. In essence, he probably should be making about $3.5M in today's market.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 02:10 PM
detredWINgs

I don't know why everyones hating on Zherdev. If anything, this makes him a more respectable player. First of all, hes basically saying he'd rather take less money simply to play in the NHL, and second, he's willing to beg for a contract. That takes cajones.

If anything, NOW would be the time for a team to nab Zherdev for about the price of his QO on a one year deal. Hes getting a wake-up call here, realizing that the entire league knows hes a paper tiger. If he wants a real NHL deal, hes going to have to put in more effort.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Call him an idiot all you want - at least he wants to play in the NHL. I don't even like him as a player but so many players are bolting and he's not one of them.

Yes, he was greedy by wanting more money. But at the same time, The Rangers are in the same boat for trying to lowball him. In essence, he probably should be making about $3.5M in today's market.
He's still an idiot.

And Sather didn't lowball him. It was Zherdev who declined his Q.O and opted for arbitration.

If you think he's worth 3.5M in today's market, a 3.25 Q.O isn't far off.

Old
09-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Jonjmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cage View Post

This is only the beginning. This is how a capped league works. Each year there will be some decent players on the outside looking in. As the concept of the cap matures, so will the pay scale. Stars will always be paid but people like Zherdev who don't put butts in the seats, need to realize what their worth is.... or more to the point his agent needs to realize this.

If the cap still drops as expected next season, there will be many more players on the outside looking in. Eventually the agents will "get it" and sign their players earlier and at a more appropiate salary.

Jonjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 02:37 PM
STL fan in IA

Why is this guy not going to the KHL? He could make more money there. It's his homeland. I assume most KHL teams aren't nearly as weary about him as most NHL teams...

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 02:41 PM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Do these agents know that there's a salary cap? There's only X amount of total cap space in the entire league and it seems by now every team is either at their limit, at their internal limit, or the Pheonix Coyotes. This is leaving capable NHLers without jobs (Zherdev) or taking crappy 1-year deals just to play (Tanguay).
I think the better question is do the Rangers know if there's a cap. They've handed out some of the most idiotic contracts that they don't even hold onto for more than a season. They're just as much to blame for the overinflated league salaries as guys like Kevin Lowe.

And I love how Zherdev is the idiot here. So taking less pay to stay with your team is being an "idiot"? Because that's really all the situation boils down to right now.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 02:43 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1250
Words were ineffective but the way this summer has played out must hit home and maybe, just maybe, this ignites a little fire in Nik. Especially if the season starts and he's still in limbo.
Not a huge gamble for 1 year at his QO and theres always the slight chance he brings it regularly which would make him a bargain. Some team with cap space and a need for O might take a flyer.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Sayba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjmc View Post
This is only the beginning. This is how a capped league works. Each year there will be some decent players on the outside looking in. As the concept of the cap matures, so will the pay scale. Stars will always be paid but people like Zherdev who don't put butts in the seats, need to realize what their worth is.... or more to the point his agent needs to realize this.

If the cap still drops as expected next season, there will be many more players on the outside looking in. Eventually the agents will "get it" and sign their players earlier and at a more appropiate salary.
Zherdev offensively was basically the only thing worth watching on the Rangers for the majority of last season. I am quite shocked that no one has signed him in the 3mill range and if the rangers had the cap room i'm sure they would take him back at 3.25 since they originally wanted him for that.

Sayba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Alex28*

How the **** are the Rangers still 7.7 million under the cap?

They should definitely take him at his QO. Even despite the wildly exaggerated rumors of him being a cancer, disappearance, etc., without this guy last year they don't make the playoffs. He'd be by far their best offensive insurance if Gaborik goes down like he will in the first game of the season.

He's clearly humbled, motivated and possibly pissed off, sign him for a year for Kotalik money and enjoy getting 2x the points.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

The Rangers ain't no Hola back girl.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
How the **** are the Rangers still 7.7 million under the cap?
They aren't. They have $2.4m in cap space left and need a 6th and 7th defenceman.

Shane O'Brien would seem to be a nice fit.. they could use some muscle to compete with the likes of Philly.

The only possible reason that Zherdev would go back to the Rangers is that no other team would give him that amount of money.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 03:04 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Maybe because he doesn't fit well with the kind of hardworking team that Trotz puts on the ice?
That deserves a cookie.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote