HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

UPDATE: Gaborik skating, scoring in scrimmage

Old
09-13-2009, 08:28 PM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

vCash: 500
I sense that storm clouds are gathering.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 08:33 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

well a gaborik injury is one way to forget about dubinskys contract problem.

seriously, everyone needs to just

relax

stop panicking

and chill out.

protecting our 7 million dollar man is both reasonable and expected.

its wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too early to start freaking out.

step away from the cliff.....

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 08:43 PM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
well a gaborik injury is one way to forget about dubinskys contract problem.

seriously, everyone needs to just

relax

stop panicking

and chill out.

protecting our 7 million dollar man is both reasonable and expected.

its wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too early to start freaking out.

step away from the cliff.....
That is a reasonable viewpoint, but the track record of this franchise points in a decidedly different direction.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 08:44 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I hope I'm not raining on anybody's parade, but as I've said before, I doubt he can stay healthy for a full season. Prove me wrong kids, prove me wrong

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 08:44 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I would assume he's quoting what he was told by the Rangers.
Oh I have little doubt that if a Ranger source told Zipay this, he would make that VERY clear.

In any case, that's my point. As stated by Zipay in this blog entry, the "groin issue" is mere rumor. He has not named a source, so his information has - for all practical purposes - been pulled from his rectum. As I said previously, he may indeed be right, but he claims to be a journalist. As such he understands perfectly well that unless he can state where his information comes from, it comes from nowhere.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 08:51 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
His groin isn't going to be injured by getting hit
It will if it's hit by Crosby

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 08:58 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
It will if it's hit by Crosby
All that talent and a vicious streak too. And he might have been ours if the league hadn't been so goddammed rigid.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 09:08 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Sticky?
Hahahaha, sad but true!

Even though it's far to early to pass judgement, would anyone really be surprised if all the "we checked him out and think the surgery fixed 100% of his issues" lines from Sather/etc. proved to be nothing more than baseless marketing hype to justify the contract given out?

Keepin' my fingers crossed.

09-13-2009, 09:12 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'm not sure what I find funnier, the number of people already saying the worst is here, or the the fact that people are already saying "I told you so."
Its as if all of these "fans" were hoping he would get hurt just so they could attack him and Sather.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 09:20 PM
asparkoflife

Great...

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 09:21 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
I'm not sure what I find funnier, the number of people already saying the worst is here, or the the fact that people are already saying "I told you so."
While I agree that it is too early for either of those reactions, posts that refuse to acknowledge even the possibility that this is a permanently chronic health issue and that Gaborik may not be "100% A-OK" after the surgery rank pretty high on my humor list - not to mention those looking to question the wording/credibility of Zipay's report to back up such feelings.

The fact of the matter is, it's impossible to pass a judgement one way or another without seeing how Gaborik's groin reacts over the course of an entire 82 game regular season.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 09:49 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'll have to wait until we hear more about it. If it's really just general soreness in his groin area, then I'm not concerned, as that wouldn't be uncommon. However, if it's revealed to be a pull or a strain or something structural, then I'll be worried.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 09:59 PM
FLYLine24*

This is what I was afraid of...

Well im not going to be one of the doomsayers for the next 5 years on the board, which is why i turned into a big fan of the signing afterwards...

Hopefully its nothing serious and he's back on the ice tomorrow.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
While I agree that it is too early for either of those reactions, posts that refuse to acknowledge even the possibility that this is a permanently chronic health issue and that Gaborik may not be "100% A-OK" after the surgery rank pretty high on my humor list - not to mention those looking to question the wording/credibility of Zipay's report to back up such feelings.

The fact of the matter is, it's impossible to pass a judgement one way or another without seeing how Gaborik's groin reacts over the course of an entire 82 game regular season.
Where did I say that I thought his health wasn't an issue?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

This is such BS. All of those players are probably having groin issues right now due to how hard Torts is skating them. Only problem is wouldn't you want to take it easy on the 7.5 million guy you're kinda hanging your season on who has GROIN problems? It's precautionary.

Come tell me he has a tweaked groin after he accelerates hard mid regular season game for a breakaway and then I'll start to worry.

Anthony Mauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 10:26 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Gaborik will be fine. He hasn't skated this hard in awhile and bumps in the road happen when coming back. Everyone chill out.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 10:26 PM
DutchShamrock

Boy, I thought I'd have to wait a 1/4 season before I could say, "I told you so."

So let's review. Gaborik + skates + ice = groin injury. My thinking is that further interactions between Mr. Gaborik, ice and skates will result in future groin injuries.

So last year when people acutally wanted to give up assets in a trade for the future UFA Gaborik and I countered with his injury history, I was ran out of the thread for being stupid and overvaluing the importance of 'playing'.

During Free Agency when I didn't want to sign the oft injured Gaborik I was assured by the lemmings, err I mean the fans that his injury problems were, Halleluiah!, cured by his surgery. No games or practices necessary to confirm this scientific fact, we knew it to be true because the player and agent seeking a multi-million dollar contract told us it was true.

But rest assured fans, he is guarenteed to score at a torrid pace of a goal per game... in all 20 games he suits up for this year. But a goal per game is such a sexy stat. 82 games a season or even 70 or 60 games a season is boring. Who cares about that, man?!

And no, I'm not over reacting. He hasn't even gotten 3 days into camp and he's 'not participating due to injury.' If there is any kind of 'out of balance' reacting going on, it'll be from the Rangers' management who will underplay the extent of his injury now and over the next 5 seasons. And let's not forget, the main reason for taking this chance on Gaborik was based on the 'fact' that Gaborik was cured of his groin problems from that surgery... which has now been debunked within 2 days of hockey related activities. Great.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Boy, I thought I'd have to wait a 1/4 season before I could say, "I told you so."

So let's review. Gaborik + skates + ice = groin injury. My thinking is that further interactions between Mr. Gaborik, ice and skates will result in future groin injuries.

So last year when people acutally wanted to give up assets in a trade for the future UFA Gaborik and I countered with his injury history, I was ran out of the thread for being stupid and overvaluing the importance of 'playing'.

During Free Agency when I didn't want to sign the oft injured Gaborik I was assured by the lemmings, err I mean the fans that his injury problems were, Halleluiah!, cured by his surgery. No games or practices necessary to confirm this scientific fact, we knew it to be true because the player and agent seeking a multi-million dollar contract told us it was true.

But rest assured fans, he is guarenteed to score at a torrid pace of a goal per game... in all 20 games he suits up for this year. But a goal per game is such a sexy stat. 82 games a season or even 70 or 60 games a season is boring. Who cares about that, man?!

And no, I'm not over reacting. He hasn't even gotten 3 days into camp and he's 'not participating due to injury.' If there is any kind of 'out of balance' reacting going on, it'll be from the Rangers' management who will underplay the extent of his injury now and over the next 5 seasons. And let's not forget, the main reason for taking this chance on Gaborik was based on the 'fact' that Gaborik was cured of his groin problems from that surgery... which has now been debunked within 2 days of hockey related activities. Great.
Yes, you are.

If this was October 3rd and he was sitting out, you wouldnt be.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 10:32 PM
levski87

Hilarious how people get so worked up over one word.. "Tweaked". Unless the team doctors report he has a tweaked groin, I'm not going to take Zipay's post too serious.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 10:33 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Where did I say that I thought his health wasn't an issue?
I never said you did, sorry if I implied that. Just speaking about the thread in general.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 10:38 PM
SkerZ
LGR

No need for an injury prone superstar big contract guy to be doing 45 wind sprints and 15 mile runs up hill both ways with no shoes on in the snow he will be fine

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkerZ View Post
No need for an injury prone superstar big contract guy to be doing 45 wind sprints and 15 mile runs up hill both ways with no shoes on in the snow he will be fine
Spot on

Anyone ever play 3-4 times a week and have hip flexor soreness/pain? It can happen to a healthy individual. There's nothing wrong with this unless he can't shake it come game time.

Old
09-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

While its ridiculous to get all worked up with the 'I told you so crap' because of this, its also ignorant to say 'this can happen to anyone, he'll be fine' considering Gaborik's history.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 10:54 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
While its ridiculous to get all worked up with the 'I told you so crap' because of this, its also ignorant to say 'this can happen to anyone, he'll be fine' considering Gaborik's history.
I agree with what you are saying 100%. However the things I find funny are the people going to the extremes saying those exact things. It is pretty much speculation and until the team comes out and says something there is no need to use the jump to conclusions mat. We all just need to relax and let the Rangers training staff do what they are paid to do and worry about his health. I have total faith in them and I truly believe that they are the best in the league.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

It's not ignorant to say that it can happen to anyone. Take weight training. How do you feel the next few days after you workout after not having worked out in say a month or two? Are you really in danger of not recovering?

ITS NOT A TWEAKED GROIN

Tweaked groin is implying something more than just soreness. That's just sloppy, borderline sensationalist reporting IMO.