HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

UPDATE: Gaborik skating, scoring in scrimmage

Old
09-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Number of games Gaborik has missed:0

Number of people saying I told you so: 93

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:11 PM
lavaltitans

Quote:
Gaborik + skates + ice = groin injury. My thinking is that further interactions between Mr. Gaborik, ice and skates will result in future groin injuries.

As a Wild STH I can also give you other formulas, such as:

Gaby + West Coast road trip = groin injury
Gaby + hackeysack = groin injury
Gaby + soccerball = groin injury
Gaby + Formula 1 race car simulator = simulated groin injury

Another observation was that Gaby's injuries tended to coincide with BFF Demitra's injuries. Demo is already injured (or at least not healed up yet for another 6 weeks from surgery), coincidence? We in MN think not, they are probably just out shopping together for new ripped jeans...

We feel your pain Ranger fans, and here in MN all groin injuries were reported as "soreness".

lavaltitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:35 PM
frozenrubber

Remember, Ales "The Savior" Kotalik was also spared the 3 mile run because he occasionally suffers from shinsplints when running.

There is no information we have that doesn't also support Marian Gaborik realizing he has nothing to prove to Tortorella, and he chose the option of a full body rub-down by Bruce the Masseuse instead of wind sprints.

Gabby might just not be interested in racing ECHL fodder.

When pucks show up in practice, then we can make a judgement.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Cioran

The season is ruined!

At least we have time to scout around for draft picks and select someone good for our 1st Overall pick.

Also gives us an opportunity to test Matt "The Future" Zaba out in net.

Cioran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 04:35 AM
Washington Capitals

Marian, oh Marian

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 05:08 AM
Chimp

If any other player on the team was sitting out because of a "sore groin", I wouldn't be worried one bit. But now it's Mr Glass Man. Even if it's just coincidence that he's the one sitting out after some gruesome three first days, it still sets of an alarm and a red light in my ceiling.

At least the 5th round pick Stajcer is also sitting out because of hip soreness.

And oh, the sticky joke was hilarious.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 06:45 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

Number of games Guy Lafleur has missed: 0

Number of people goofing on anyone who is concerned about the fragility of Gaborik: 94

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 06:46 AM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
To steal a post from an earlier thread:

If I'm returning from an offseason of this, you better believe my groin would be sore:

C'mon guys we can't blame him for having a sore groin now.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 07:12 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
C'mon guys we can't blame him for having a sore groin now.
ha, I lol'd. It looks like that girl could cause a groin injury in any guy after a night or two.

On a serious note, I'll reserve judgement until pucks hit the ice. If he's not there after a day or two of small games/drills/scrimages, then I might start to get worried. I'm always the optimist though, lol.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I never said you did, sorry if I implied that. Just speaking about the thread in general.
No problem. Just making sure that I'm not crazy.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Celestial Black

Eh Gabby...

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 09:53 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Tweaked groin is implying something more than just soreness. That's just sloppy, borderline sensationalist reporting IMO.
Exactly. We are offered a claim that is unsubstantiated, unsourced, and expressed entirely in the realm of "it is believed" not "it is."

This is called a "rumor." To even begin a discussion on the topic, you must first accept this rumor as truth. Why anyone would do so is utterly beyond me.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 10:04 AM
dedalus

Quote:

In fairness, though, there's a history along these lines, one that Ranger management has ignored on a number of occasions. When previously-unheard numbers of fans called and e-mailed to protest the Lindros trade based on his injury history, they were ignored. In fact, they were mocked. Sather called them cowards.

When Bure was traded for, there were plenty who said he was damaged goods - goods that would inevitably, and most likely sooner than later, break down. Their objections were generally brushed aside.

I don't think it objectionable that people who fear history repeating itself are remarking on it, and frankly I think it laughable that anyone would claim that such people WANT this to happen. They're speaking from frustration. As such I heartily doubt they're desirous of more frustration.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 10:06 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaltitans View Post
As a Wild STH I can also give you other formulas, such as:

Gaby + West Coast road trip = groin injury
Gaby + hackeysack = groin injury
Gaby + soccerball = groin injury
Gaby + Formula 1 race car simulator = simulated groin injury

Another observation was that Gaby's injuries tended to coincide with BFF Demitra's injuries. Demo is already injured (or at least not healed up yet for another 6 weeks from surgery), coincidence? We in MN think not, they are probably just out shopping together for new ripped jeans...

We feel your pain Ranger fans, and here in MN all groin injuries were reported as "soreness".
My roommate of 4 years is a die-hard Wild fan and I went through all this with him the last few years always thinking "glad he's not on my team". The race car driving/simulating stuff especially was always a running joke.

I still maintain that it's too early to get worked up over this, but until Gaborik can prove otherwise I'm not exactly holding my breath (or buying the Rangers' PR reassurances) about his health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
I don't think it objectionable that people who fear history repeating itself are remarking on it, and frankly I think it laughable that anyone would claim that such people WANT this to happen. They're speaking from frustration. As such I heartily doubt they're desirous of more frustration.
You hit the nail on the head - except now potential mistakes are magnified by the salary cap. Like I said earlier, keepin' my fingers crossed.

09-14-2009, 10:48 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

People really need to stop freaking out over a sore groin. Its the third day of camp, theyre being cautious, I see nothing wrong with that.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I'm kinda jealous of Gaborik, wish I had this much attention paid to my groin

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 10:54 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post

Hopefully its nothing serious and he's back on the ice tomorrow.
This is exact quote of what was said about Pavel Bure knee.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 11:16 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
To steal a post from an earlier thread:

If I'm returning from an offseason of this, you better believe my groin would be sore:

My God is she hot. Holy crap.

Honestly I could care less if he misses time in camp, but you'd obviously like him out there when the exhibition games start. If he starts missing these games, yeah it's a bit of a concern, but I'm not ready to jump off a bridge yet.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 12:26 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Gaborik will be fine. He hasn't skated this hard in awhile and bumps in the road happen when coming back. Everyone chill out.
With Tort's commitment to conditioning, I doubt any of them have ever skated this hard.

Quote:

You forgot...

# of hits Zipay gets on his site for saying "Tweaked....Groin...Gaborik"...priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
This is exact quote of what was said about Pavel Bure knee.
Good thing we didn't trade our 1st rounder for Gabby.

Last edited by vipernsx: 09-14-2009 at 12:31 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 12:51 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Yes, you are.

If this was October 3rd and he was sitting out, you wouldnt be.
No, I'm not overreacting. This is a player that has missed games every season due to groin problems. He is now missing workouts because of groin issues that were supposed to be cured by surgery. Basically, we can now expect him to miss the usual amount of games per season because his groin is permanently damaged. Your back and groin are muscles that can and do become changed forever with each and every injury. Maybe the hip was the source of his injuries, but the fact is his groin was damaged by it and is forever vulnerable.

This was the root of the debate about getting him. People believed beyond a shadow of a doubt that the groin injuries were a thing of the past. He is 2 days into camp and he is tweaking it, forget about the spin from MSG. No one else is missing time because they aren't hurt. Gaborik doesn't skate, stop because of soreness, get removed from on ice workouts because his groin is not injured. If he was sore but uninjured, the spin would be 'no soreness at all, merely precautionary actions by holding him off the ice'. When they say soreness, they mean tweak. When they say tweak, they are afraid of a pull.

If we were told on July 1 that he was still going to hurt his groin every few months, we would have raided MSG and impaled Sather on hockey sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
It's not ignorant to say that it can happen to anyone. Take weight training. How do you feel the next few days after you workout after not having worked out in say a month or two? Are you really in danger of not recovering?

ITS NOT A TWEAKED GROIN

Tweaked groin is implying something more than just soreness. That's just sloppy, borderline sensationalist reporting IMO.
It's ignorant to dismiss the alarms when it comes to his history. You don't disregard this news. Everyone is in the same boat as him as far as conditioning. Everyone is just getting back into intense workouts. No one else is missing practice or skating, except of course those who are injured.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 12:56 PM
chappie
lemon snow!

Gaborik will be taking part in the afternoon practice.

chappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappie View Post
good to hear, I am not really worried. I mean I rather have them baby the guy just to ensure he is healthy. I know it sounds bad to favor a player but in this case its needed since he is way too important

with a healthy Gaborik this team can do damage but without its grinding it out each and ever game.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 01:03 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappie View Post
Too bad for the haters. In fairness there's still plenty of time for him to "tweak" it again.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
chappie
lemon snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Too bad for the haters. In fairness there's still plenty of time for him to "tweak" it again.
People just need to realize that the Rangers' are trying to be smart. They've rushed a lot of players back to play in the past and have gotten burned (hell even Jagr with his shoulder could've been better. Had he sat out a month and taken the extra time to strengthen it, we may have seen another hundred point season, and he was still close...).

Gaborik is the least of my worries with this team, I think the Rangers are doing it right this time.

chappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Levitate

Gaborik recovered from surgery before the end of last season. He wasn't still recovering over the summer.

This is either just some minor soreness caused by more than normal skating, and they're just being careful about it.

Or it's a big deal and we should be worried

but it's good he's getting back on the ice and doing drills, skates, etc

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote