HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need help with skates

Old
09-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Semper Sens

vCash: 500
Need help with skates

Hey guys,

I'm having problems with a pair of skates I bought last year on boxing day. They were my first pair of non-used skates since I was like 7, plus I was given some money to spend on skates for Christmas, so I bought Easton Synergy 1200C's (link to hockey monkey). Normally I buy the best pair of $60 skates I can find, condition-wise, at play-it-again, so I was pretty damn happy. For comparison, the skates I was in before were Nike Quest V4, which fit very nicely and gave me no problems.

So fast-forward a year and here I am. These skates are the first to ever give me lace-bite in my entire life, and so I'm pretty sure I'm going to bring them over to play it again and trade them in. I would like to try and buy some lace bite pads and just keep them, but the lace bite is not the only problem I have with them.

When I turn fast in these skates (say coming in on the right-side of the blue line and trying to cut into the slot) they make a "chop-chop-chop" noise and action on the ice, instead of cutting in or gliding over (this on the foot I'm not putting my weight; I guess the left foot in my example). I feel like I'm more liable to fall in these skates, although that hasn't really happened, and I almost feel like I need to react slower or else I'm going to end up on my ass. I tried getting them baked but it hasn't changed anything.

I can still play in them, my acceleration is affected a bit, but my top end speed seems the same and I can still turn sharply, just (I feel) not as sharply or quickly. The second time I took them out on arena ice, I went as hard as I could from the red line to the goal line, and tried to cut hard behind the net, and end up wiping out. I'd done that many times before with all of my old pairs of skates, soI was kind of like "Wuh?"

What does all this mean? Are they too different from my old skates? Do they just not fit my foot right? Is the mysterious term "hollow" to blame? Do they have a different pitch or something? I've never felt like this in any other pair of skates, yet these are the "best" pair of skates I've ever had. What do I do?

If you guys reccommend that I trade them in, how do I make sure I pick a pair that doesn't have the same problems?

Thanks for any help.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 03:28 PM
raganblink

when it is choping across the ice, you aren't putting enough pressure on your skates because they are so lite.

You went from lowend to near top end skate, there is a big difference in performance.

just keep skating in them they will get better.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 12:01 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post
Hey guys,

I'm having problems with a pair of skates I bought last year on boxing day. They were my first pair of non-used skates since I was like 7, plus I was given some money to spend on skates for Christmas, so I bought Easton Synergy 1200C's (link to hockey monkey). Normally I buy the best pair of $60 skates I can find, condition-wise, at play-it-again, so I was pretty damn happy. For comparison, the skates I was in before were Nike Quest V4, which fit very nicely and gave me no problems.

So fast-forward a year and here I am. These skates are the first to ever give me lace-bite in my entire life, and so I'm pretty sure I'm going to bring them over to play it again and trade them in. I would like to try and buy some lace bite pads and just keep them, but the lace bite is not the only problem I have with them.

When I turn fast in these skates (say coming in on the right-side of the blue line and trying to cut into the slot) they make a "chop-chop-chop" noise and action on the ice, instead of cutting in or gliding over (this on the foot I'm not putting my weight; I guess the left foot in my example). I feel like I'm more liable to fall in these skates, although that hasn't really happened, and I almost feel like I need to react slower or else I'm going to end up on my ass. I tried getting them baked but it hasn't changed anything.

I can still play in them, my acceleration is affected a bit, but my top end speed seems the same and I can still turn sharply, just (I feel) not as sharply or quickly. The second time I took them out on arena ice, I went as hard as I could from the red line to the goal line, and tried to cut hard behind the net, and end up wiping out. I'd done that many times before with all of my old pairs of skates, soI was kind of like "Wuh?"

What does all this mean? Are they too different from my old skates? Do they just not fit my foot right? Is the mysterious term "hollow" to blame? Do they have a different pitch or something? I've never felt like this in any other pair of skates, yet these are the "best" pair of skates I've ever had. What do I do?

If you guys reccommend that I trade them in, how do I make sure I pick a pair that doesn't have the same problems?

Thanks for any help.
I would check the blade.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Semper Sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
I would check the blade.
Check it for what? There aren't any knicks.

Old
09-13-2009, 08:35 AM
AIREAYE

what's lace bite? the only skates ive had are Mission AmpFlys from PIAS

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Semper Sens

Lace bite is a name for pain experienced by skates somewhere between the top of the foot to the beginning of their shin. I get it right on the arch between the top of my foot and where my shin begins. It's from the tongue (or other parts of the skates, depending on where you have pain) rubbing against some tendon that runs over your foot there. According to the guys at our LHS, it's pretty common and comes from your skates not fitting perfectly. I'm going to buy some lace bite pads if I don't trade these in.

EDIT: For anyone who supports raganblink's theory in post #2(more or less that the skates are too good for me lol, what do I focus on to get used to these? I'd say I've skated on them at least 15 times now and nothing's changing. Even stopping quickly is difficult. It's like they won't bite.

Old
09-13-2009, 12:14 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Check it for what? There aren't any knicks.
/ <--------sharpening

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 01:49 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Lace bite is a name for pain experienced by skates somewhere between the top of the foot to the beginning of their shin. I get it right on the arch between the top of my foot and where my shin begins. It's from the tongue (or other parts of the skates, depending on where you have pain) rubbing against some tendon that runs over your foot there. According to the guys at our LHS, it's pretty common and comes from your skates not fitting perfectly. I'm going to buy some lace bite pads if I don't trade these in.

EDIT: For anyone who supports raganblink's theory in post #2(more or less that the skates are too good for me lol, what do I focus on to get used to these? I'd say I've skated on them at least 15 times now and nothing's changing. Even stopping quickly is difficult. It's like they won't bite.
I suspect you need a deeper hollow. When you get them sharpened, they grind out stuff from the middle of the blade. The amount depends on the radius they set the wheel at, the smaller the radius the deeper in the blade the wheel will go and the more bite you get. The lighter skate might make you lighter on your feet, you might have gotten them sharpened differently, whatever. If you don't know anything about hollow and just dump them off with the sharpener you can get anything. Don't ever do that. Ask for a 1/2", and if you still have that problem go to 7/16" and then 3/8".

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Semper Sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I suspect you need a deeper hollow. When you get them sharpened, they grind out stuff from the middle of the blade. The amount depends on the radius they set the wheel at, the smaller the radius the deeper in the blade the wheel will go and the more bite you get. The lighter skate might make you lighter on your feet, you might have gotten them sharpened differently, whatever. If you don't know anything about hollow and just dump them off with the sharpener you can get anything. Don't ever do that. Ask for a 1/2", and if you still have that problem go to 7/16" and then 3/8".
I went to get them sharpened today (before I read your post), explained my problem quickly to the skate guy, and asked if he knew anything about hollows, and he looked at me like I had two heads lol. Then he offered to do them "like a goalie skate" which to me would have less bite, so I just told him to do it normally. Next time I'll ask for a specific hollow, and if he can't do it I'll try sportchek or something. Thanks for your help guys! I'll bump this if it doesn't the new hollow doesn't work. It'll take me awhile to get a new sharpening though, since they were just sharpened.

Old
09-13-2009, 02:40 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Less hollow would give you less bite, not more. Not sure what the hell he was thinking, and yes, you were right, goalie skates usually have less hollow.

I'm guessing that that guy doesn't have the faintest idea of what he's doing, and that probably means he's screwing up your skates in other ways too.

Old
09-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Semper Sens

Yeah, I read up a little on hollow and it seems to make sense that I would need something a bit deeper, as I'm pretty light for my height. I have feeling I'm going to need to take a 20 minute drive to get my skates sharpened from now on. I guess that's not bad, just sucks because there are 3 sharpening places 5 minutes from me, I doubt any will know what I'm asking though, looking at today's experience. I'll try and see though. Thanks again!

Old
09-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Yeah, I read up a little on hollow and it seems to make sense that I would need something a bit deeper, as I'm pretty light for my height. I have feeling I'm going to need to take a 20 minute drive to get my skates sharpened from now on. I guess that's not bad, just sucks because there are 3 sharpening places 5 minutes from me, I doubt any will know what I'm asking though, looking at today's experience. I'll try and see though. Thanks again!
Good luck .... finding a competent skate guy is tough ... fortunately the guy who does mine does the skate for a whole QMJHL team here.

I'll never let another guy touch them ever. he gives me a custom hollow for me at around 3/4" as I am a big heavy player who doesn't want a lot of bite.

For a long time I was getting the incorrect hollow without knowing much about the subject and had to dull my skates before playing by running a real copper penny down the blade length twice so they would not grab so much.

I then learned about hollows and mentioned it to this guy who came up with a few test sharpenings until i hit what felt good for me. he wrote down my hollow and does it whenever I get a sharpening from him.

Find a place like that and driving an extra 20 minutes won't even be an issue for you if you find a guy who gets them right. I see guys all the time complain about the sharpening they got, usually during warmups before a game or pickup game .... wrong time to have an issue with them.

I am thrilled that I get a consistent sharpening every time from someone who knows how to shape his grinding wheel and more importantly why he is shaping it before sharpening the skate.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 08:52 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Yeah, I get mine done by the equipment manager for the D1 team here at school, and over the summer I do them myself. There's only one other guy I would really trust them with, and that's the guy who's the assistant manager at the rink at home.