HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Trades that ALMOST happened?

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2004, 03:48 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

vCash: 500
Another obvious addition to this impressive list is the Leafs-Flyers deal for Lindros back in '01. I think it was Lindros for Markov, Kaberle and ________. I can't seem to remember the third leaf going to the Flyers but it would have been a big deal if it had ever been completed.

Old
10-17-2004, 04:08 PM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg4ever
Another obvious addition to this impressive list is the Leafs-Flyers deal for Lindros back in '01. I think it was Lindros for Markov, Kaberle and ________. I can't seem to remember the third leaf going to the Flyers but it would have been a big deal if it had ever been completed.
No it was something else.

Flyers wanted Kaberle, Antropov and a 1st rounder.
Leafs offered Markov, Antropov and a 1st rounder.

They were stuck on that.

Old
10-18-2004, 09:24 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
No it was something else.

Flyers wanted Kaberle, Antropov and a 1st rounder.
Leafs offered Markov, Antropov and a 1st rounder.

They were stuck on that.
Very close. But IMO this is one deal that was never going to happen no matter what.

The timeline went more like this:
Clarke requested one of either Markov/Karberle + Antropov + 1st Rounder after several negotiations.
Leafs decided to opt for the Markov, Antropov 1st package preferring to keep Kaberle.
Clarke then decide that Markov is unwanted due to back problems, which he was previously unaware of. Tells them Kaberle instead.
Quinn declined and publicly stated that he thought they had a deal in place.
Clarke retorts that there never was any deal and that the Leafs tried to stick him with a guy with a "bum *** back". Was on a train talking on his cell phone at the time. Many profanities .

Old
10-18-2004, 09:51 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
Uh.... I was obviously responding to him saying "I have never, EVER heard New Jersey mentioned as the team that almost got Lecavalier. Never. I don't know where you're getting your info from."
Well thanks for the links, I don't remember hearing about NJ, so that was a new one for me. However, the stuff you posted were rumors at the time. According to rumors from last year, Tampa was due to trade Khabibulin at any second, Torts was due to get fired, Modin was getting traded for Hamrlik, etc. etc. Can't put a whole lot of stock into old rumor columns that have never been backed up later. There's nothing indicating that a deal was close to getting done.

My point still stands that the deal that was struck down in the 11th hour, the deal that was all but done was between Tampa and Toronto. Several of the parties involved have confirmed this in the intervening years, as several people have pointed out. I know it was discussed in detail in an article from the May 12, '03 ESPN Magazine, but they don't have archives online. I have the article photocopied at home that I could quote from (if I can find it). I saw it confirmed again in one of the local Tampa papers during the playoffs this year, but the best I could find right now was an article from the '03 playoffs:

Link

Quote:
Lecavalier was so unhappy last season, he asked management for a trade. If not for the ouster of then-general manager Rick Dudley, it would have happened. In fact, Lecavalier was a whisker away from being traded to the Maple Leafs.
(emphasis mine)

I'll take the info that has been confirmed afterwards over some rumor that was floating around at the time. Nice quote from Vinny from one of your links, in fact!

Quote:
"There have been a lot of rumors. It's part of the game," Lecavalier said. "And a lot of these rumors, the media starts them, and a lot start in Canada. It's part of the game and you can't worry about them."

Old
10-18-2004, 10:51 AM
Sebastien Centomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
With all due respect, Sotnos, what I am saying is not an opinon, it's what Bill Watters told me directly.

I will easily take his word over yours -- again, with all due respect.

As for you "never, EVER" hearing about New Jersey as a Lecavalier suitor, a simple google instantly turned up this ESPN.com article that mentions.... guess what?

http://espn.go.com/nhl/columns/morganti_al/1289886.html

Here is another link where Lecavalier's agent address the trade rumours from the St. Petersburg Times. New Jersey is mentioned specifically, and even the names of Scott Gomez, Jason Arnott and Bobby Holik are mentioned.

http://www.sptimes.com/News/120201/S...lier_con.shtml

Here is yet another link. New Jersey is listed as the most likely destination. (Scroll down)

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default...e_12042001.htm
So rumours on the internet are just as credible as actual documented accounts from two of the major negotiators in the deal?

One major flaw in your links... they're rumours. Nothing of substance. I could just as easily dig up that Guerin to Toronto rumour that was on Spectors last year and pass it off as a legit deal that was in the works. This is the trades that almost happened tread, not rumours that may or may not of been substantiated thread.

Old
10-18-2004, 08:50 PM
mercury

The Lindros to Toronto deal was all over the Philly media at the time. I like the package we ended up getting (after Dopita and Brendl basically turned into Kapanen and Brashear) better.

Old
11-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Rowley Birkin

I don't think this has been mentioned already, but earlier this year there were rumours of Kovalev going to Buffalo {probably for Satan}, so much so that there was pics on the Sabres site... I think it was just a hoax in the end though.

Another one {again involving the Sabres that I wish had happened} was a trade with Atlanta for the Kovalchuk pick. not sure of exact details but it went something like.

to BUF 1st rounder {Kovalchuk}

to ATL Peca, Miller, 1st rounder {i think}

Atlanta called it off though.

Old
11-10-2004, 12:27 PM
ATG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Very close. But IMO this is one deal that was never going to happen no matter what.

The timeline went more like this:
Clarke requested one of either Markov/Karberle + Antropov + 1st Rounder after several negotiations.
Leafs decided to opt for the Markov, Antropov 1st package preferring to keep Kaberle.
Clarke then decide that Markov is unwanted due to back problems, which he was previously unaware of. Tells them Kaberle instead.
Quinn declined and publicly stated that he thought they had a deal in place.
Clarke retorts that there never was any deal and that the Leafs tried to stick him with a guy with a "bum *** back". Was on a train talking on his cell phone at the time. Many profanities .
So then he trades one of his best young forwards in Justin Williams for Markov.Another instance that makes Clarke look like a lunatic :lol

Old
11-10-2004, 12:30 PM
ATG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
This trade did not almost happen as Pat Quinn firmly rejected it but Pierre Lacroix offered Joe Sakic for Trevor Linden straight up after the 1994 playoffs. It may seem like a huge overpayment now but at the time, the Nordiques desperately seeked a cup and had Sakic, Sundin, Forsberg and Nolan while Linden seemed like the perfect playoff warrior.

Lacroix eventually settled for Wendel Clark and traded Mats Sundin for him.
As a leaf fan this was the best deal Pierre Lacroix ever made

Old
11-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
There was a Zubrus for Hrdina rumor floating around so long that it's become kind of a joke to Caps and Pens fans.

Old
11-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Not sure if these were mentioned but a couple of trades involving the Kings were nixed right at the final moment.

Before the Kings moved to the Staples Center, the upper management wanted to acquire a star player, plus the Kings were in need of a goal scorer. A player they targetted was Pavel Bure, while Keenan was the GM of the Canucks. The Kings had a trade set with Keenan that would have sent Jamie Storr, Aki Berg and Glen Murray to Vancouver in exchange for Bure, but before the trade could be completed, apparently the Canucks management had enough of Keenan and decided to fire him.

The Kings then went after Theo Fleury, who was set to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. Supposedly a trade was in place, but on one condition... if Fleury signed a contract extension with the Kings. Fleury declined and the trade fell through. The deal would have sent Yanic Perreault and Pavel Rosa to the Flames for Fleury, but once that fell apart, Fleury was dealt to the Avs where he didn't do much. I'm sure Pierre Lacroix regrets that move.

Finally, Ziggy Palffy. The Kings were after him when he was holding out, and it took months of negotiations to finally get Milbury to deal Palffy. But as many of you may recall, he was just a Ranger for a couple of seconds. It was just about made official that Palffy was sent packing to the Isles rivals, but the package the Isles would receive from Palffy was so bad that the league nixed the deal. Another reason for rejecting the trade by the league was due to the fact that the Isles were primarily doing this as a cash transaction.

The Kings had a trade completed with the Islanders as well that was nixed by the league. The original trade did not include Olli Jokinen going to Long Island, but Pavel Rosa instead... and the Kings were to also receive Mike Watt. With the Islanders in the process of changing hands again (through a new ownership group) the league insisted that the team needs a new young star to build around, so the Kings had no other choice but to replace Rosa with Jokinen.

Old
11-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Here's one you didn't hear.

Holik for Marleau and Stuart, this was a year before Holik was going to become a free-agent, AFTER Lou had angered Holik in arbitration. Lamoriello declined the deal, and instead decided to trade Arnott in hopes of appeasing Holik and keeping him. Both failed, and now we have just Langenbrunner when we could have had Marleau and Stuart. bah.

Old
11-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Strong Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic

Holik for Marleau and Stuart, this was a year before Holik was going to become a free-agent, AFTER Lou had angered Holik in arbitration. Lamoriello declined the deal, and instead decided to trade Arnott in hopes of appeasing Holik and keeping him. Both failed, and now we have just Langenbrunner when we could have had Marleau and Stuart. bah.
Langenbrunner and a Stanley Cup.

Old
11-10-2004, 04:55 PM
X-Man

mike ricci and marco sturm to PHI for simon gagne. it was close to happening in the 02 season.

Old
11-10-2004, 05:54 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:

i am dumbfounded if this is true... no matter how good holik was when he was getting his praise, this package is rediculous imo

Old
11-10-2004, 06:32 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
tony Tanti &Corey Hirsch for Mike Modano's Poodle & Boots from Dora the Explorer was done until it was discovered that Boots is a monkey, and monkeys can't skate

Old
11-12-2004, 08:02 PM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
There was a Zubrus for Hrdina rumor floating around so long that it's become kind of a joke to Caps and Pens fans.
It was supposed to be Zubrus and 5 million dollars for Hrdina but The League disapproved of it.

Because the original Jagr trade for Beech, Lupaschuk, Sivek and 5 million dollars was supposed to be for 10 but the league maximum was 5 so they decided to make an additional deal in which Washington would pay Pittsburgh five. But the league saw through this veil and decided the money was unnecessary.

Old
11-12-2004, 08:05 PM
sunb

Quote:

Thats pretty incredible. Other than Brodeur, there is not a single player on New Jersey I would trade Marleau and Stuart for. Not Stevens, not Neidermayer, no one and most certainly not Bobby Holik.

Old
11-12-2004, 09:24 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

It's not exactly a trade but it's close.

Once upon a time a GM from the Oilers and a GM from the Jets were in a small predicament. As I remember a few teams in the WHA were about to fold and it was up to these GM's to splita group of players. One group consisted of Houston Aeros players (namely Morris Lukowich & Terry Ruskowski) and the other group was Wayne Gretzky. The GM's were to play a series of backgammon (or bridge?) games in order to determine who gets to choose. To make a long stroy short... the Jets GM won the games but chose the "safe bet" over the "skinny kid". Lukowich was one of the best Jets for the next few years but Wayne was...well Wayne.

Old
11-12-2004, 09:29 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmin

Once upon a time a GM from the Oilers and a GM from the Jets were in a small predicament. As I remember a few teams in the WHA were about to fold and it was up to these GM's to splita group of players. One group consisted of Houston Aeros players (namely Morris Lukowich & Terry Ruskowski) and the other group was Wayne Gretzky. The GM's were to play a series of backgammon (or bridge?) games in order to determine who gets to choose. To make a long stroy short... the Jets GM won the games but chose the "safe bet" over the "skinny kid". Lukowich was one of the best Jets for the next few years but Wayne was...well Wayne.
Damn that backgammon....

Old
11-12-2004, 09:51 PM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmin

Wasn't Morris Lukowich only 5'9'' and 170 pounds in his prime? Thats what hockeydb.com has him listed at.

Closed Thread