HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

UPDATE: Gaborik skating, scoring in scrimmage

Old
09-14-2009, 01:12 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Did anyone actually read BOTH of Zipay's posts?

Saturday:
Quote:
Gaborik was excused from the first day of 18 laps with the team at the training camp in Westchester, and will be on the bike instead of joining tonight's 3-mile-run.
“He was skating everyday, it’s was just a little sore from that," said head coach John Tortorella. "We don’t want to do anything stupid here. We want to make sure he’s ready to play when the regular season starts. We have to manage that.”
Sunday:
Quote:
Winger Marian Gaborik, with what is believed to be a tweaked groin, was held off the ice for the second day and out of a grueling 45-lap skate. And center Brandon Dubinsky, entangled in a contract dispute, missed his second day. Gaborik left the training center without speaking to reporters.
Now, of COURSE, it's worrying to hear that a guy with a history of groin problems may be suffering from them again. Anyone who says otherwise is sticking their head in the sand. But when you look at that progression, it certainly doesn't seem like anything more than the Rangers being cautious with him (as opposed to an injury that is forcing him to sit out) and Zipay speculating as to where he might be sore.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 02:06 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

vCash: 50
Gaborik didn't play in scrimmage today.

Quote:
Second Rangers scrimmage set to start, Gaborik not scrimmaging
http://twitter.com/JimCerny

Now I'm starting to get a little worried.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 02:08 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Gaborik didn't play in scrimmage today.

http://twitter.com/JimCerny

Now I'm starting to get a little worried.
He's skating right now with the groups, he just didnt play in the scrimmage.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 02:10 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
He's skating right now with the groups, he just didnt play in the scrimmage.
Thanks FLY, makes me a little less concerned. I have a feeling that they might just be babying their 7M investment. Lets just hope it's nothing serious and he'll be healthy for the beginning of the season. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old
09-14-2009, 02:20 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Thanks FLY, makes me a little less concerned. I have a feeling that they might just be babying their 7M investment. Lets just hope it's nothing serious and he'll be healthy for the beginning of the season. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I'm sure they also dont want Nigel Williams or some other prospect trying make an impression come flying out of nowhere and take out Gaborik. The last they want is something like that to happen in camp. With our luck it would be Brashear too.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
In fairness, though, there's a history along these lines, one that Ranger management has ignored on a number of occasions. When previously-unheard numbers of fans called and e-mailed to protest the Lindros trade based on his injury history, they were ignored. In fact, they were mocked. Sather called them cowards.

When Bure was traded for, there were plenty who said he was damaged goods - goods that would inevitably, and most likely sooner than later, break down. Their objections were generally brushed aside.

I don't think it objectionable that people who fear history repeating itself are remarking on it, and frankly I think it laughable that anyone would claim that such people WANT this to happen. They're speaking from frustration. As such I heartily doubt they're desirous of more frustration.
To steal a line from Trottier (the Islander fan, not the Islander player), for most it's a case of born yesterday every day.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Mr Bojanglez

I wouldn't worry just yet. Yes, he has a history. He also had major surgery and is probably still a little tight. He needs to get warmed back up into playing shape.

As a Devil fan I like the idea of him regressing, but as a regular guy who has had surgery before... I think it really was just a "tweak" and they're being cautious.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 03:00 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I'm sure they also dont want Nigel Williams or some other prospect trying make an impression come flying out of nowhere and take out Gaborik. The last they want is something like that to happen in camp. With our luck it would be Brashear too.
I can agree with that. But he shouldn't get too used to it. I mean if they're scared to put him in against a player like Nigel Williams, what about players like Chara and Pronger? He's got to face players like those two four/six times a year. If they are that worried over a scrimmage with a prospect, I'm kind of scared to see him go up against a hard hitting d-man.

I do understand what your saying though.

Old
09-14-2009, 03:11 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

If he's on the Ice today that makes me feel better.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Levitate

Speaking of overanalyzing training camp, Gross says that Gaborik looked fine in the conditioning skates, maybe took it easy on drills. Nothing wrong with the hip, just being careful with the groin.

Then there's the ambiguous statement that Gaborik "hopes to play in the preseason but wants to be patient", which I'm not sure if that means in the opener or in the preseason at all. Because if he skips the entire preseason, ******* that does not look good for things

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 03:28 PM
FLYLine24*

Yea i highly doubt we see Gabby in a preseason game anytime soon. Probably the last one or two and thats it.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 03:28 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Has anyone on this forum had surgery before? Don't let the history freak you, yet. Right now though, it's not a surprise, at all.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 03:40 PM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Hopefully, this was all much ado about nothing. Hopefully.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Levitate

More from Gross

http://njmg.typepad.com/rangersblog/...unworried.html

Seems to be downplaying it, and Tortorella says he wants to see Gaborik in some preseason games, but not all

Basically at this point it sounds like something that no one would get worried about except with a player who's had a history.

Old
09-14-2009, 04:11 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
I can agree with that. But he shouldn't get too used to it. I mean if they're scared to put him in against a player like Nigel Williams, what about players like Chara and Pronger? He's got to face players like those two four/six times a year. If they are that worried over a scrimmage with a prospect, I'm kind of scared to see him go up against a hard hitting d-man.

At least hell be in a game, or games, until he comes across something like that.

They can't control that, but they can control the possibility of a prospect taking a run at him.

I think its ok for now, but theres comes a time when that all goes out the window (or should) i dont like treating players with kid gloves for long. If you are so concerned about the guys health you shouldnt have signed him in the first place.

I think Tortorella and the Rangers will do the right thing once the season opens.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 04:14 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:

Sure he's going to have to go up against guys like Chara and Pronger, but the rangers can avoid that for another month. They can let him get ready for that by not having him go out there and possibly take a hit from a guy like Nigel Williams or even Ryan Borque.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 04:16 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I know your joking, but in all seriousness Brashear isnt stupid. His job during this season is going to be sticking up for the star player which is gaborik. I'm sure he'd avoid hitting him in camp.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Cioran

In my opinion, Gaborik needs better equipment to ensure that he lives throughout his contract without getting crippled out there.

Gaborik's gear for the 2009-2010 season:

Sure it will reduce his speed a bit, but at least he'll be safe from potential bumps and pokes from opposing players.

Cioran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 04:54 PM
KotsyJr
THE POWER OF CHRIST

The word that I got (and for those that know, is good word) is that he is healthy and ready to go. They are just planning on keeping it easy on him this training camp and pre-season.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 04:59 PM
mncdn

poor Ranger fans

Now you can see what it was like for Wild Fans. Kind of like Favre this year with the Vikes. Anyways I hope he gets better. I was hoping to see him play in Florida in November. My fingers are crossed that he gets better and stays better.

mncdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPAULxMARAx View Post
The word that I got (and for those that know, is good word) is that he is healthy and ready to go. They are just planning on keeping it easy on him this training camp and pre-season.
You have an inside source I assume?

Old
09-14-2009, 06:17 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
You have an inside source I assume?
Yeah you might have heard of his father.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 06:23 PM
BIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Who is his father?

BIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 06:24 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Have we gone over this before? Who is his father?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 06:26 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Chris Kotsopoulos, former Ranger and NHL player.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote