HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heatley to SJ as per TSN

Old
09-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
Thornton + Heatley are a must have in all your hockey pools guys.

This duo will be dynamite.
until the playoffs come around!!!

This trade actually helps JT big time,a great start to the year for both and they might be playing together at the Olympics

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 02:15 PM
4thliner*

I'f Michalek can can become 35/80 player along side Spezza I'll take hm anyday of the week and twice on sunday ahead of a 50/100 Heatley.

He is big at 6-3 225, is arguably one of the most explosive skaters n the NHL if not the fastest player, and has elite level 1 on 1 skill and sky high potential. And no he did not play with Thornton, he played with Pevalski and Clowe to spread out SJ scoring NOT Thornton and Marleau. He is already 60 guy and scored as high as 67 pts as 20 year old.

The guys is one of the better two players in the NHL already and so young. He also plays with jam and is hard on the forecheck. At least hm and even Cheechoo were noticable in the playoffs hitting. Remember a knee injury robbed him almost 2 years of developmental time earlier in his career breaking into the NHL .

I love big and strong players with elite level skill who are also explosive skaters and grity and great at cycling and protecting the puck in teh corners. I think he can be an even better version of Yohan Franzen, he's that type of player as the mule except even faster and a bit more upside I think if he can finish more. He adds lots of speed and two way awareness to Ottawa's top line. I think his game compliments Spezza perfectly.

Checkout Dan Boyle's personal blog:

Quote:
He was maybe the most skilled player we had here and I feel he will be a dominant player when he puts it all together. He has shown us all what he can do when he is on. The guy has elite speed and a bullet of a shot

Last edited by 4thliner*: 09-14-2009 at 02:42 PM.
4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 02:28 PM
habtastic

Just my seemingly unpopular opinion, but I think Cheechoo is a LOT better than most make him out to be. Maybe three seasons ago, he was in the elite scorer league as heatley. You might say he had Thornton to play with but i've never seen heatley without at least one equally talented player on his line. Obviously Heatley is a scoring machine, but I don't think Ottawa got screwed in this deal and looking at their forwards:
Alfredsson
Speeza
Kovy
Cheecho
Michalek
Fisher (comes up big when needed)

it's really not like Ottawa has been raided. If they click, Kovy +Michalek +Cheechoo make up for the loss of Heatley IMO (not that those three are on the same line as none are Cs). More than anything, here we probably know more about the cancers in the dressing room problem (although Ottawa is a close 2nd) and getting rid of (what would have turned into) that is something that they gained. Ottawa has a lot of snipers this year and unfortunately a former Hab who I think might be able to deke through our D once or twice a game. Cheechoo will be a solid finisher.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs12max View Post
Michalek is not as offensively gifted as A. kostitsyn. Kostitsyn is a 60 points player for NOW, but he will end up better than this. Maybe 70-80 at his peak.
i think you have to hit 60 points first to be considered a 60 point player.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Comely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs12max View Post
Michalek is not as offensively gifted as A. kostitsyn. Kostitsyn is a 60 points player for NOW, but he will end up better than this. Maybe 70-80 at his peak.
Umm you do realise AK is only 3-4 months younger then Michalek. Don't get me wrong, I like AK and I would rather have Heatly then what we got for him at the same time lets call apples apples.

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 06:20 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
I'f Michalek can can become 35/80 player along side Spezza I'll take hm anyday of the week and twice on sunday ahead of a 50/100 Heatley
He's not going to become a 35/80 player because Spezza is around. Thornton is a better playmaker than Jason and Michalek could only get around 25 goals and 55-60 points with him.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 09:15 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's not going to become a 35/80 player because Spezza is around. Thornton is a better playmaker than Jason and Michalek could only get around 25 goals and 55-60 points with him.
1. Michalek didn't play with Thonton

2. Spezza has BETTER career ppg, yes BETTER career ppg than Thornton

3. Michalek s only 24 and already a 25 goals 60 pt guy.

Yea, so with your logic sure he won't get to 35/80

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 12:51 AM
mizza318

I find it funny how everyone is so quick to say Ottawa got ripped in this trade.

The last time Heatly scored 50 goals was 3 years ago. If you are going to call Heatly a 50 goal scorer then you can call Cheecho one as well.

Sure Heatly is one of the better snipers in the league but really that is all he is good at. He does not back check, he does not play physical. Quite frankly when he doesn't score he pretty much useless. Do you guys know that last time Heatly scored 50 goals he did it in 35 games or so. Heatly is not a guy who will put SJ over the top not to mention I am happy to see his 7.5 million cap hit of our books. If you guys haven't noticed his production has been on a decline and thats because his body has been through a lot and I believe its starting to catch up with him.

The way I look at it Ottawa is finally a team that can put more then one dangerous line on the ice.

Look at it this way what group of forewards would you rather have ?

Alfie, Spezza, Fisher, Heatly, Foligno

or

Alfie, Spezza, Kovalev, Michalek, Cheechoo, Fisher, Foligno

I really think Ottawa is a much better TEAM after the trade

mizza318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:42 AM
FF de Mars

Camalleri-Marleau-Latendresse
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Lapierre-D'Agostini
Stewart-Metro(Chipchura)-Laraque

That would be pretty sweet. I don't know if the Sharks would trade Marleau, though.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 08:27 AM
CloudReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
1. Michalek didn't play with Thonton

2. Spezza has BETTER career ppg, yes BETTER career ppg than Thornton

3. Michalek s only 24 and already a 25 goals 60 pt guy.

Yea, so with your logic sure he won't get to 35/80

You mean Michalek didn't play with Thornton last season. Check out the 2007-2008 season.

CloudReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I see Cheechoo in the same position as Chris Higgins and Michael Ryder. Somebody that has talent but needed another start somewhere else. If you add Michalek to that, it's not a bad return. I would have demanded maybe a solid defenseman in return also. But the problem was every team was lowballing Murray because he was the one that was stuck with the problem. He couldn't have gotten that much more, in my opinion.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Erika

People who says Ottawa got owned in this trade are hilarious !! Heatley is a first class whiner, a floater and never won anything in his career. Thornton and Healtey will choke big time in the playoffs.

Milan Michalek is no scrubs and Jonathan Cheechoo can always bounce back. All he needed was a change of environment and that's what he got. You can add to that a 2th round pick and the package is pretty good is you ask me. Not great, but good. We all know that Michalek is good and will be better,but the wild card here is Cheechoo.

I'm ready to bet anything that Cheechoo will have more points than Brian ''Smurf'' Gionta by the end of the season !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Trunitsyn View Post
People who says Ottawa got owned in this trade are hilarious !! Heatley is a first class whiner, a floater and never won anything in his career. Thornton and Healtey will choke big time in the playoffs.

Milan Michalek is no scrubs and Jonathan Cheechoo can always bounce back. All he needed was a change of environment and that's what he got. You can add to that a 2th round pick and the package is pretty good is you ask me. Not great, but good. We all know that Michalek is good and will be better,but the wild card here is Cheechoo.

I'm ready to bet anything that Cheechoo will have more points than Brian ''Smurf'' Gionta by the end of the season !!

I'll take that bet.

I do agree with you though. I actually think Ottawa became a stronger more balanced team after this trade. They can now send out two solid lines. Something they could never do in the past.