HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Weight Room Training for beginners

Old
09-14-2009, 04:53 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Hockey Weight Room Training for beginners

Hey guys, just to say I love this board and the people on it, always given us great advice

Anywyas, I wanted to try weight training at school this year to improve my overall fitness and for hockey as well (I play House LEague lol but w/e)

Problem is, I've never did any kind of weight training save for a few gym classes. So does anyone recommend any beginner excersises to do?

I primarily want to work on upper body and a bit of lower body for explosive acceleration on ice.

Thanks in advance

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Ani simov mal

For beginners..

Upper body: Dips, pull ups, chin ups, pushups, crunches, sit ups, russian twists.

Legs: Squats and running.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
depends on your build but most gyms have a universal machine and working around that twice and warming up and cooling down with the bike or treadmill works well

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 06:17 PM
AIREAYE

Im around 5'8" or 5'9", 125 lbs

at this time Im not too keen on doing bench presses and all that heavy stuf, the other miachines im fine with

Ive seen NHLers on TV using a medicine ball where two guys stand back to back and pass the ball to each other while moving their upper body...what does this help with?

Old
09-14-2009, 06:20 PM
eric71*

For your first month or 2 stick to the simple stuff, like the exercises Anisimov said, but than you gotta start benching and doing deadlifts and hangcleans; or your just not gonna see the same results..

The thing you saw on TV was for Core Strength, strengthing your middle section; where all your power comes from. Its also very important.

REMEMBER: RUN. If your strong and ripped, you better be in good cardio shape too, if you wanna produce consistently on the ice. You can just do 20 minutes jogs, or run 40 yard sprints, whatever you fancy, just get that heart pumping HARD

eric71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 06:22 PM
eric71*

I should also add, when you do decide to move onto heavier and more advanced exercises, make sure your form is proper. Not only will it prevent injury, but an increased Range Of Motion, can make a world of a difference.

A year or so ago, when I benched, I would only bring the bar down till maybe 3" off my chest. Improper. You need to touch that chest. I started touching my chest; few months later my chest was significantly bigger and STRONGER.

eric71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 08:49 PM
AIREAYE

Thanks for the tips, Ive thought about a routine to start, should only take about an hour (thats how long the room is availible for)

5 min: Stretch
5: bike to warmup, short stretch
5-10: squats/lunges with light weights
5: Russian twists
5: medicine ball work
5: rest/stretch
5-10: arm/wrist curls with machines
5: Pullups
5: Whatever
5: Stretch

Ill do this prob once a week, twice MAX, but there will be times where i cant do it for a few weeks due to workload/exams

What do you guys think?

Old
09-14-2009, 08:54 PM
BadHammy*

The only training you need to do for hockey are as follows: exercise bike, plyometrics such as jumping etc, short sprints- around 500 yards, and military press for upper back/shoulders/triceps. Bench press is almost a waste of time for hockey. Ask Joe Sakic...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 10:33 PM
noobman

You probably don't want to be lifting weights more than 2x a week in the middle of hockey season... assuming that you're on the ice more than once or twice a week.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I am no expert but I just started the stronglifts 5x5 routine today. I had tried p90x and it was too taxing but this is a basic but comprehensive lifting routine. Really got the heart pumping and the muscles sore. I've always done 8 to 10 reps so 5 reps of higher weight should hopefully give some good gains.

For hockey, you want to hit the weights more in the summer than during the season because playing is taxing. Especially if you haven't been lifting. I'd stick with light cardio and stretching on off days.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oh and all the hockey players in high school were all about squats power cleans and plyo.

Old
09-14-2009, 11:51 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Oh and all the hockey players in high school were all about squats power cleans and plyo.
This. Your emphasis should be on your lower body and core. Build too much muscle in your upper body and you'll be forcing your legs to carry useless weight around. By useless I mean most of the power from your shot will come from your legs and mid-section, not from your arms. Having a strong core also helps your balance.

If your time in the gym is limited to one hour per week make sure your strength building routines are low rep, high weight and lift to full exhaustion (until you can't do another rep). You'll be sore the next day but you'll enjoy the quickest gains.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:46 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
During the season i tend to just use weights for muscle endurance. Low weight, more reps. I do arms, back and legs one day then shoulders, chest, abdominal the next. I take a day off after these two days then repeat. The main key with this is to just do enough work were you feel it. Do not overdo it. Do not even come close to overdoing it.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 09:15 AM
frito

This site has some good stuff. http://www.athleteconstruction.com/The three DVD hockey package is $100. They presented at a coaching clinic I attended a few weeks ago. I just bought it to help me with my team. A previous poster mentioned a universal machine. The information I got at the seminar is actually to steer away from universal type machines. They do not help with stability at all. It's better to use free wights, dumbells, medicine balls etc. as it taps into more muscles, specifically those that aid in stabilization.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it worksupon a progression format (i.e. from beginner then to indtermediate to advanced etc.) It's all about starting out at your appropriate level and strategically building upon that.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 09:44 AM
maci4life

do high step ups while holding 10 -20 lb dumbells. sets of 10 each leg. should help strengthen your strides and help with flexibility.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/vide...puptobench.wmv

like that except i prefer dumbells at your sides. the larger the step the better. don't do it too fast so that you don't start bouncing and using momentum to get you up.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 12:32 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It seems that most stuff here is very heavily leg based. Which, makes sense if you're planning on playing hockey at a high level. Otherwise, you'll probably want to workout your whole body. Don't be afraid to work out your arms, chest, shoulders, etc. Of course you also want to be doing your legs as well.

Anyway, here's some lifts that I like

I prefer mainly compound exercises (workout multiple muscles simultaneously) with a few isolated (workout one muscle at a time) ones thrown in. There are also many variations of these (dumbell, barbell, machine, incline, decline, one arm, two arms, forehand grip, reverse grip, wide grip, close grip, etc)

Bench press - Chest & triceps & shoulders
Flys - Chest & triceps & shoulders
Pushups - Chest & triceps & shoulders
Dips - Triceps & Chest

Rows - Back & biceps & lats
Lat Pulldown - Lats & biceps
Pullups - Back & biceps & lats

Squats - Quads & Hamstrings & Calves & Glutes
Deadlifts - Quads & Hamstrings & Calves & Glutes
Legpress - Quads & Hamstrings & Calves
Lunges - Quads & Calves & Glutes
Step ups - Quads & Hamstrings & Calves

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 03:08 PM
AIREAYE

wow thanks guys, but im just playing house league low level and i just want to gain a little bulk to frame lol

we have one practise and one game a week

I like the weights with squats/lunges/steps idea though...

Old
09-15-2009, 03:36 PM
KillerCanuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Thanks for the tips, Ive thought about a routine to start, should only take about an hour (thats how long the room is availible for)

5 min: Stretch
5: bike to warmup, short stretch
5-10: squats/lunges with light weights
5: Russian twists
5: medicine ball work
5: rest/stretch
5-10: arm/wrist curls with machines
5: Pullups
5: Whatever
5: Stretch

Ill do this prob once a week, twice MAX, but there will be times where i cant do it for a few weeks due to workload/exams

What do you guys think?

never stretch cold muscles! can lead to a serious injury! make sure that body is warm then a light stretch or range of motoions! then long strtch afterwards!! i made the mistake already!

KillerCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 03:41 PM
BadHammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCanuk View Post
never stretch cold muscles! can lead to a serious injury! make sure that body is warm then a light stretch or range of motoions! then long strtch afterwards!! i made the mistake already!
Good advice. Walk around for 10-15m first.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I was posting off my iPhone earlier, here's a better version of what I was talking about:

Stronglifts 5x5 Beginner Strength Training Program

Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Inverted Rows 3xF
Push-ups 3xF
Reverse Crunch 3x12

Workout B
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Pull-ups/Chin-ups 3xF
Prone Bridges 3x30sec

Really simple, low reps, high weight, but like I said I wouldn't really start hitting this during the season.

Old
09-16-2009, 02:56 PM
AIREAYE

Oh yeah, for clothing I suppose a t-shirt and shorts are ok?

And are shot/pass quality really affected by lowerbody/core stength and not arms??

Old
09-16-2009, 03:06 PM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Oh yeah, for clothing I suppose a t-shirt and shorts are ok?

And are shot/pass quality really affected by lowerbody/core stength and not arms??
IMO, your core, specifically your lats/abs are the leading contributor to the power behind most shots. Especially slap shots.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 03:33 PM
AIREAYE

Some of you mentioned something about in-season training vs off season, so should this mean that one shouldn't focus on weight lifting/bench press or other exercises like these? And waht should one focus on?

Old
09-16-2009, 04:06 PM
IniNew

During the season, it's light lifting and cardio... but that's more for a person playing several games during the week. The idea is you don't want to be sore/fatigued during one of your games. If you're only playing one game a week it wouldn't hurt to do normal lifting for strength just stop 2 days before you game.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
your pretty much got a lot of good recommendations already but what i recommend is that you work on your legs, specificly your thighs becuase thats where your base is and its important for hockey. as said before, your core. so sit ups and legg presses go a long way. usually you bulk up in hockey to be a bigger force on the ice so by solidifying your core, you are harding to knock off the puck and your checks come with more power.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote