HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey's Future Top 50 Prospects: 26-50

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2004, 11:14 AM
SuperUnknown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69
I agree with you on the idea and as a fan, there's nothing I want more than seeing prospects surprise me! I also know that Higgins is still developping. That's why I was carefull writing that my thoughs are based only on personnal projections.
I think that Higgins production last year in the AHL was adequate for a rookie. (ie: pretty good!). This year so far he doesn't have the greatest stats but he's been one of the best forwards for the team. Keep in mind the Bulldogs don't score much and his linemates aren't exactly the best either (Thinel who was in the ECHL last year and Lambert who is a rookie).

Old
11-12-2004, 11:32 AM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Higgins #49 is laughable... This kid is something great, everyone watching him would agree... His lack of production is mainly due to the poor quality of his wingers and the system Jarvis ask every kids to play in..

Higgins do everything on the ice... He is NHL ready and will put some impressive numbers if ever Julien use him on one of the 3 first lines! Will have the kind of rookie season Bergeron had with the Bruins since they are very similar... With Bonk, our 3 first lines are gonna be able to produce with regularity, what we could'nt have in the past..

It will be a big joke if ever Perezhogin does'nt crack the top 15 of HF top prospects list, Zhogy has the skills, determination and charactere to be a solid first line winger and is actuallu NHL ready!
Problem is, there are 29 other teams in the league that could say the exact same thing for their prospects

Old
11-12-2004, 12:27 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Darz wrote : ...and when you consider alot of the players who turn out to be top 6 forwards etc are picked early in the draft (top 5-10) getting a good third liner in the middle of the draft isn't a bad thing at all.
...so true. In the first round, getting a regular third line guy with enough skills to score 15-20 goals, plus a captain attitude, it's great! More so if we consider all the first rounders that don't even make it to the NHL!

I consider that when you draft a player that turns out to be a regular NHLer, it's a good choice. The number of player who actually make it is minimal. And comparing players to other who become stars but who got choosen later is a mistake. we never know for sure what a player will do.

For example, I consider that Guy Carbonneau gave more to the habs than most of first rounders. No?

Old
11-12-2004, 01:03 PM
fred2792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
They were already taken when we picked Higgins.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2002e.html
I know, it's just that we trade the 15 choice to get the 14 and have Higgins. Why we don't trade for the 13 or 12 spot?

Ok, I apology that a regular third line player in the NHL with a first round pick if we look all the first pick who never play in the big league but in the case of Malby and Draper, just take a look of the team Detroit have at this time. The expectation are not the same when you have Federov, Yserman, Shanahan that if when you need to found top player to reconstruct the team. The environment is a big part of the succes for young player. Higgins on a tird line will be good for the team, but we still need top foward...

Old
11-12-2004, 01:18 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2792
I know, it's just that we trade the 15 choice to get the 14 and have Higgins. Why we don't trade for the 13 or 12 spot?

Ok, I apology that a regular third line player in the NHL with a first round pick if we look all the first pick who never play in the big league but in the case of Malby and Draper, just take a look of the team Detroit have at this time. The expectation are not the same when you have Federov, Yserman, Shanahan that if when you need to found top player to reconstruct the team. The environment is a big part of the succes for young player. Higgins on a tird line will be good for the team, but we still need top foward...
I agree with you on that one. My point was (in other words) that it will be good news if the Habs are able to use Higgins on the third line, were he belongs, IMO. It would mean that the team also have better offensive upside in the first two lines, like it was the case for Draper and Maltby. Now the question would be "can anyone be our Yzerman and Fedorov?" Note that to me, Habs won't probably need all that. At that point in the future, the team could be build differently than the Wings, playing an other style, etc... We'll see.

Old
11-12-2004, 02:25 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2792
You have to remember the context though:

Edmonton really liked Niinimaki and was ready to trade down a spot, add an 8th round pick from us and still get who they wanted.

We have no idea if Washington was ready to trade down with us.

Old
11-12-2004, 02:29 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
You have to remember the context though:

Edmonton really liked Niinimaki and was ready to trade down a spot, add an 8th round pick from us and still get who they wanted.

We have no idea if Washington was ready to trade down with us.
Besides, although Semin looks good he could have been a flop as well and I'm not sure I'd want Eminger instead of Higgins.

Also, maybe Washington's asking price would have been a 2nd round pick. Who knows?

Old
11-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
Why, because you don't have 10 habs on the list?
Im starting to love this guy !

Old
11-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'll be amazed if Perezhogin is in the top-25. Judging by the names already out there in the 26-50 slots, I don't think it's reasonable to expect Perezhogin to be higher than those guys. But it's a really tough list to come up with, even tougher than the org rankings, IMO.

Not that it matters much... I wonder how high Ryder, Trent Hunter, or Andrew Raycroft ever made it up those lists? Probably not very.

Old
11-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyF
Problem is, there are 29 other teams in the league that could say the exact same thing for their prospects
And sadly, they do.

Old
11-12-2004, 05:07 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69
it aslo means that for a few peak years (2 to 4), he could reach numbers such as 20 to 25 goals, 35-45 assists, which is exactly what you need for a third liner on a constantly cup contending team, if not a little more. It's all good news to me.
70 points or + for a third liner ???

may be you didn't watch a game since 1980 , because by now, i am not sure that there is more than 3- 5 ( average/year ) second liners that have that kind of stats ...

Old
11-12-2004, 06:40 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

As a big fan of Higgins, who's seen him play several times at Yale, Team USA, Hamilton and his cup o' coffee with the Habs, I can't say what line he will play with the Habs. I do think he's a flat out lock to make the Habs if the NHL ever starts up again. I don't know how many points he'll score in the NHL either.

What I do know is that Higgins has been the best player on his team or one of the top players on his team every where he has played since his USHS days at Avalon. Higgins was the man at Yale, led the team in scoring, one of the top players in the NCAA as a sophomore. For 2 years with the U-20 team he was great both years, led the team in scoring as an 18 year old. Last year in Hamilton he was one of the top rookie scorers in the league right behind Perezhogin, as he did have some trouble adapting to the schedule and a head injury thanks to a cheap shot by Maclister sp?

I do think his offensive game is underrated around here but we'll see. Either way we have a very smart, sound positionally, hard working, skilled prospect.

Old
11-12-2004, 07:34 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
As a big fan of Higgins, who's seen him play several times at Yale, Team USA, Hamilton and his cup o' coffee with the Habs, I can't say what line he will play with the Habs. I do think he's a flat out lock to make the Habs if the NHL ever starts up again. I don't know how many points he'll score in the NHL either.

What I do know is that Higgins has been the best player on his team or one of the top players on his team every where he has played since his USHS days at Avalon. Higgins was the man at Yale, led the team in scoring, one of the top players in the NCAA as a sophomore. For 2 years with the U-20 team he was great both years, led the team in scoring as an 18 year old. Last year in Hamilton he was one of the top rookie scorers in the league right behind Perezhogin, as he did have some trouble adapting to the schedule and a head injury thanks to a cheap shot by Maclister sp?

I do think his offensive game is underrated around here but we'll see. Either way we have a very smart, sound positionally, hard working, skilled prospect.
Dan is lives in Scotland now?

Old
11-12-2004, 08:43 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

" I for the most part think that the list is pretty good, but I was surprised to see Higgins at 49. From what I've read, I haven't seen him play this year, I thought he would be around the 30 - 40 mark. He was to basically be a shoe in for a job with the big club, and worked hard in the off season to improve his conditioning. Here's a player that can play both ends of the ice, and is supposed to be very smart and sound positionally. He also has a great deal of leadership skills, and no major flaws in his game, but barely makes the list? Could someone who's seen Higgins play enlighten me, because from what I've said earlier, the write ups from previous HF articles seem to put him into a 2nd/3rd line role with the Habs. Thanks. "

I put the above comments on the prospects board, but the entire 23 pages or so are about an argument about Kesler vs Steen. I was looking for an unbiased opinion, but because of the never ending rants, I'll ask that someone here try to answer it as unbiased as you can. Thanks.

Old
11-13-2004, 10:12 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
70 points or + for a third liner ???

may be you didn't watch a game since 1980 , because by now, i am not sure that there is more than 3- 5 ( average/year ) second liners that have that kind of stats ...

I know, and your right. I was talking about a maximum for a career year, about a player which I project more in the 40pts range. For me, a third line guy with some offensive skills also means that in his carreer year, he will see first or second line duty, with some power play, etc. But you're right, I exagerated a bit, for sure.

Old
11-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal

He is pretty small by NHL standards.
I think he will not make it.

Old
11-13-2004, 12:58 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan

He is pretty small by NHL standards.
I think he will not make it.
I don't think that at 5' 11" and 192lbs you would be actually small, even by NHL standards. With the proper workout routine, he could easily hit 200 - 210lbs. As it is, he's already very hard to push around. What other brilliant comments do you have to back up your point that he won't make it? A few facts will make your arguments seems legit.

Last edited by loadie: 11-13-2004 at 01:03 PM.
Closed Thread