HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Looking for a Good hockey stick....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-13-2009, 05:04 PM
  #1
Sens4lyf
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brampton
Country: Canada
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
Looking for a Good hockey stick....

Hey, my stick is getting pretty bad out of shape, and i was just wondering what type of stick i can get for the best price.

I can only afford a stick that is like $130 canadian max, because i cant really afford an expensive stick.

Thank you in advance, and all answers are appreciated greatly

Sens4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 05:13 PM
  #2
Sens4lyf
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brampton
Country: Canada
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
Im currently looking at the Easton Se6,what are your thoughts.

Also, i am an offensive defencemen

Sens4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 05:21 PM
  #3
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,492
vCash: 500
Well if you are looking at Eastons, then I recommend you try the SC6

OR you could wait until the Easton S13's and S7 sticks come out, they will likely push the S11 stick down in price at about your range

The NB One70 is on sale for 80 at Hockeylife

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 05:38 PM
  #4
Sens4lyf
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brampton
Country: Canada
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
I heard the stealth series are less durable. Is that true?

Sens4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 05:51 PM
  #5
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!
 
gojacketsgo61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,710
vCash: 500
i really liked the TPS Responses, R8 is like 100$ but is very good

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 06:04 PM
  #6
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4lyf View Post
I heard the stealth series are less durable. Is that true?
Yeh they're not the best, for sure

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 07:29 PM
  #7
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4lyf View Post
Hey, my stick is getting pretty bad out of shape, and i was just wondering what type of stick i can get for the best price.

I can only afford a stick that is like $130 canadian max, because i cant really afford an expensive stick.

Thank you in advance, and all answers are appreciated greatly
Well there are so many sticks that are affordable in your range these days that are decent. I have been using Harrow who are formerly Christian hockey bought by Harrow Lacrosse / field hockey stick makers even though Christian (seperate from harrow) is still making wood sticks and blades seperately .... don't ask cuzz I don't know why.

Not the lightest stick out there but respectable and very durable and also affordable with high performance I might add for shooting and the like. They are a little bit more than $130 US and are $160 US (I do not know what the Canadian amount is sorry).

http://www.harrowsports.com/icehockey.asp they sell through their website as well as in stores, if you check their store locator on their site you should find one hopefully. They are still a new company for hockey and the word isn't wuite out yet with everyone in the common stream.

I however use the 2 piece shafts with their blades which come to $130 .... $89 for the shafts and $35 for the blades.

But yeah there are so many stick brands out there now it is crazy.

Unfortunately there are some way overpriced sticks people keep buying because famous players use them even though the regular people are not using the same stock used by the pros. It is all about the $$$ which is sad because people can buy great sticks for less money that are just as good as the regular market sticks.

Good luck on your quest .... I've finally found "my stick" in Harrow sticks.


Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 09-13-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 09:53 PM
  #8
DD M98
 
DD M98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Ever think of going the two piece method?
You could go with a Bauer one 95 shaft http://www.greatskate.com/product/id...ey-Shafts.aspx
And a Standard blade http://www.greatskate.com/product/id...nt-Blades.aspx

The Bauer one 95 shaft is an amazing stick! I have 2 with a wood blade in there (hate composite blades) and they are by far the best sticks I've used!

DD M98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 12:55 AM
  #9
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojacketsgo61 View Post
i really liked the TPS Responses, R8 is like 100$ but is very good
An R8 is not like a 100$, its 200$. An R6 is 189$

Might get an R2 for hundred but they are garbage.

An R4 you can get for like 150ish$.


If you can still finds any of these on sale from last year (good luck with that) you could get them cheaper. Have seen R10's on for 139$ a bit ago, dont see any now though

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 07:32 AM
  #10
The Leaf
 
The Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
There used to be some goods sticks at sportchek for around 50- 99 $

I was there when they had buy one stick get the second like 35% off...so I got two CCM octoguns one for 50, the other for like 32 or something like that.

The Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 08:41 AM
  #11
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontomapleleafs View Post
Ever think of going the two piece method?
You could go with a Bauer one 95 shaft http://www.greatskate.com/product/id...ey-Shafts.aspx
And a Standard blade http://www.greatskate.com/product/id...nt-Blades.aspx

The Bauer one 95 shaft is an amazing stick! I have 2 with a wood blade in there (hate composite blades) and they are by far the best sticks I've used!
Utter shame then. Most people say the One95 blade has the best puck feel of any composite blade ever, and is the greatest thing ever invented since fire.

Seriously, the thing gets great reviews. I would try it out.

And to the OP: You can get some top end sticks on closeout, and often pro stock stuff. Look at your local shop and online, you might be surprised. I grabbed a Vapor XXXX for $100 a few weeks ago, can't wait for the rink to open up to us commoners so I can use it. Hockey Monkey has had RBK 7Ks for less then $100 for a while now, flexes and curves may be limited, but those are nice sticks.

And after you break them, often you can cut them and make them tapered shafts.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 04:02 PM
  #12
vivianmb
Registered User
 
vivianmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,882
vCash: 500
www.falconsports.com
their stealth model is unbreakable.their cannon model has high flex.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 07:09 PM
  #13
Sens4lyf
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brampton
Country: Canada
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
Wow, Thank you all for your suggestions

Ill get into trying those sticks, and once again, this is very appreciated

Sens4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 11:11 PM
  #14
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,108
vCash: 500
I would get a one95 shaft and a wood blade. Save up for a one95 composite blade in the meantime.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 11:48 PM
  #15
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Vapor 40 for $100 is not a bad choice. You can find a lot of last year's models cheap on ebay.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 03:58 PM
  #16
KillerCanuk
 
KillerCanuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
RBK 5k snake skin. phaneuf pattern. im a off d man myself.. good accuracy and power, plus i can fire accurate passes 100% of the time. more of a open toe curve. good stiffness, im 62 230lb so i need the stiffnes. also have in other flexes. 100$ sport chek.. went thru two last season, didnt snap yet just busted up the toe!

KillerCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 04:11 PM
  #17
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCanuk View Post
RBK 5k snake skin. phaneuf pattern. im a off d man myself.. good accuracy and power, plus i can fire accurate passes 100% of the time. more of a open toe curve. good stiffness, im 62 230lb so i need the stiffnes. also have in other flexes. 100$ sport chek.. went thru two last season, didnt snap yet just busted up the toe!
do your sticks break when you shoot/pass really hard with it? Or do they get weaker over time and then they break when you shoot?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 05:21 PM
  #18
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!
 
gojacketsgo61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
An R8 is not like a 100$, its 200$. An R6 is 189$

Might get an R2 for hundred but they are garbage.

An R4 you can get for like 150ish$.


If you can still finds any of these on sale from last year (good luck with that) you could get them cheaper. Have seen R10's on for 139$ a bit ago, dont see any now though
My source for sports has R3'S for 25$ canadian, and R8's for 99$, R10's are 129$

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 07:39 PM
  #19
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Old twigs, great prices if you can find them, everywhere around me only has R1's left.

Once then new ones come in, back to regular prices.

P.S im assuming the R3 is a goalie stick?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 09:50 PM
  #20
Danrik
It is what it is.
 
Danrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Super Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,871
vCash: 500
http://www.thehockeyshop.com/catalog..._Comp_Stick_Sr

This has the R3. Don't know how good it is. I had an R6 but broke it after a year, wanted another one but couldn't find any for a decent price. I'm using a One55 now until it breaks and then I'll want to find an R8, but hopefully cheaper.

Danrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:15 AM
  #21
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik View Post
http://www.thehockeyshop.com/catalog..._Comp_Stick_Sr

This has the R3. Don't know how good it is. I had an R6 but broke it after a year, wanted another one but couldn't find any for a decent price. I'm using a One55 now until it breaks and then I'll want to find an R8, but hopefully cheaper.

I can honestly say i have never seen an R3 in a shop before. Mind you i dont buy online or really look for that matter.

TPS doesnt even have it on its Website.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:17 AM
  #22
Cams
Registered User
 
Cams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
SportChek has Vapor XXV for $89 or $99 dollars. I grabbed as cptjeff said, XXXX for $99 US, expecting it to arrive at my work place in Michigan today in fact!

Cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:14 PM
  #23
johentie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
what about the easton 777 sticks?

$99.99 usually.. heard they are a bit better then the stealth in the durability area

johentie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:22 PM
  #24
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johentie View Post
what about the easton 777 sticks?

$99.99 usually.. heard they are a bit better then the stealth in the durability area
It's an SMU, and it's a price point OPS. It's not going to be nearly as nice as lost year's top models on closeout.

If you don't know, SMUs are products ordered just for one store or chain that aren't made for anyone else. They're not part of the regular product line, and as a result it can be pretty hard to figure out exactly what you're getting and what the differences are.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:26 PM
  #25
johentie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
It's an SMU, and it's a price point OPS. It's not going to be nearly as nice as lost year's top models on closeout.

If you don't know, SMUs are products ordered just for one store or chain that aren't made for anyone else. They're not part of the regular product line, and as a result it can be pretty hard to figure out exactly what you're getting and what the differences are.
good info ; > i;m going to shop around today

johentie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.