HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Looking to trade Malkin for top 3 goalie.

Old
09-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

vCash: 500
Looking to trade Malkin for top 3 goalie.

Here's my roster so far in a 12 team head to head non-keeper.
G, A, PIM, Wins, SV%, GAA, SHO

1. (2) Evgeni Malkin F
2. (23) Rick Nash F
3. (26) Marian Gaborik F
4. (47) Dan Boyle D
5. (50) Chris Osgood G
6. (71) Tomas Vokoun G
7. (74) Derek Roy F
8. (95) Phil Kessel F
9. (98) David Krejci F
10. (119) Bryan McCabe D
11. (122) Zach Bogosian D
12. (143) Danny Briere F
13. (146) Ryan Kesler F
14. (167) Slava Kozlov F
15. (170) Nik Antropov F
16. (191) Mathieu Schneider D
17. (194) Claude Giroux F
18. (215) Scott Gomez F

Osgood
Vokoun

I was just rejected Malkin - Brodeur straight up. Should I bother to try for Luongo.. or someone else?

TIA.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Glaurung

Well the problem is that other teams can't afford to lose elite goalie without getting goalie back. So I'd try 2 for 2 deal where you are giving Malkin + Osgood/Vokoun and getting back Elite goalie + decent forward.

Glaurung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaurung View Post
Well the problem is that other teams can't afford to lose elite goalie without getting goalie back. So I'd try 2 for 2 deal where you are giving Malkin + Osgood/Vokoun and getting back Elite goalie + decent forward.
Yeah, I definitely see it that way too. But this particular team I was trading with is probably the least gifted offensively. They already have Luongo, Biron and Boucher.

I feel like if I give up Malkin to any other team, it will give them too great of an advantage offensively. So I feel stuck.

This is a 3 appearance minimum for goalies per week league.

Old
09-14-2009, 08:37 PM
ower

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Yeah, I definitely see it that way too. But this particular team I was trading with is probably the least gifted offensively. They already have Luongo, Biron and Boucher.

I feel like if I give up Malkin to any other team, it will give them too great of an advantage offensively. So I feel stuck.

You're putting too much stock into Malkin. it's a H2H league. You can have Malkin, Ovechkin and Crosby on your team and still lose if you have people who stream players into their line up every day and overload categories.

I don't see the guy with Luongo trading either, He's got 1 starter and 2 back up and there's a 3 appearance minimum?

ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 08:43 PM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

Quote:

try trading malkin and osgood for luo or brodeur

kilgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
You're putting too much stock into Malkin. it's a H2H league. You can have Malkin, Ovechkin and Crosby on your team and still lose if you have people who stream players into their line up every day and overload categories.

I don't see the guy with Luongo trading either, He's got 1 starter and 2 back up and there's a 3 appearance minimum?
So going by that theory, which goalies are potentially even trades for a malkin\osgood offer?

Old
09-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Kovy4thewin

no way malkin is way to much of an all around player to trade

Kovy4thewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy4thewin View Post
no way malkin is way to much of an all around player to trade
Any player is trade-able in fantasy hockey. It all depends on your teams strengths and weaknesses. It's not like we're talking Gretzky numbers here, where it was so imbalanced fantasy leagues in the 80s would ban him from drafts.

Old
09-14-2009, 11:19 PM
ower

vCash: 966
Quote:
So going by that theory, which goalies are potentially even trades for a malkin\osgood offer?

I just replying to your quote that he would greatly give another team too much of an offensive advantage.. Malkin with help your team but I don't think he'd weight so much that it would be a crushing advantage.

for me, my top 4 goalies I'd try to go after would be

Kipper, Nabby, luongo and Broduer

maybe even Lundqvist, Fleury, Thomas or Mason

ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I would keep Malkin and look for the FA pool for goalie help. There are ALWAYS surprises in net.

G, A, PIM, Wins, SV%, GAA, SHO - are these really the only stat categories? I've never seen a league where goalie stats make up over half of the categories.

I hate to say this, but you should have drafted better considering how important goalies are in this league. No one is gonna give up their netminders. So I would pay close attention to any FA goalies that start heating up and grab them as soon as you can. You should have like 4 goalies on your roster, or more.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
I would keep Malkin and look for the FA pool for goalie help. There are ALWAYS surprises in net.

G, A, PIM, Wins, SV%, GAA, SHO - are these really the only stat categories? I've never seen a league where goalie stats make up over half of the categories.

I hate to say this, but you should have drafted better considering how important goalies are in this league. No one is gonna give up their netminders. So I would pay close attention to any FA goalies that start heating up and grab them as soon as you can. You should have like 4 goalies on your roster, or more.
Yeah, it's a shame I decided to go 4 wheeling during the draft. So my team was auto-drafted. It's a good question about the stats, we've been doing it like this for years and I guess since we've always done it and never really messed around in other leagues, we've become used to it.

Old
09-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Marukin

I agree, you should keep Malkin. Outside of injury he will be a no-brainer every week start. How many players are you starting every week, I assume not all the players you listed? With that assumption, you are pretty deep at forwards and I can envision many headaches in your future trying to figure out who to start. Maybe trade 2 of your good forwards for a non top 3 goalie. You can add a goalie if needed and they can throw in whatever they are willing to get rid of so you don't have a 3-1 trade.

Also, you might want to think about getting another D.

Marukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I think you are trying to do too much, what I would do is make a smaller deal where you move someone like Boyle or Gaborik for a middle of the pack starter with breakout potential.

You're never going to get fair value trading skater for goalie so why trade your very best skater to get an above average goalie? Better to trade an above average skater for an average goalie with good potential.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius J Reilly View Post
I think you are trying to do too much, what I would do is make a smaller deal where you move someone like Boyle or Gaborik for a middle of the pack starter with breakout potential.

You're never going to get fair value trading skater for goalie so why trade your very best skater to get an above average goalie? Better to trade an above average skater for an average goalie with good potential.
Cool - thanks for kinda shifting gears for me. I hadn't thought about it like that - I was so fixated on a top tier goalie. Who knows, Osgood could have a huge rebound year, as well as Vokoun. I'm going to sit back on the waiver wire come the first few weeks and see who's looking good. Unfortunately, my choices are limited. There really aren't too many guys left.

PS.. I just offered Vokoun for Emery.. we'll see!

Old
09-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

What goalie stats count in your league? If saves count Vokoun is always valuable. Even though he's on a worse team I think he is a little safer bet than Emery especially if saves count.

A deal where you get Emery or LeClaire for a skater (hopefully someone a little worse than Boyle or Gabs) is a good bet, you get guys who have starting jobs and are sort of home run picks. You've got Ozzie who doesn't have great numbers outside of wins to gun for that category, I'd say Emery is a good bet there. Vokoun can give you a boost in other areas and he will make enough starts to help with wins, too.

Old
09-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius J Reilly View Post
What goalie stats count in your league? If saves count Vokoun is always valuable. Even though he's on a worse team I think he is a little safer bet than Emery especially if saves count.

A deal where you get Emery or LeClaire for a skater (hopefully someone a little worse than Boyle or Gabs) is a good bet, you get guys who have starting jobs and are sort of home run picks. You've got Ozzie who doesn't have great numbers outside of wins to gun for that category, I'd say Emery is a good bet there. Vokoun can give you a boost in other areas and he will make enough starts to help with wins, too.
Wins, SV%, GAA, SHO

Old
09-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Eh, that makes Vokoun a little less valuable but still I would not trade him unless you were clearly winning the deal

Old
09-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Garfinkel1

Malkin was a top 3 pick. You should of grabbed a goalie if you wanted one lol. He is more valuable than an elite goalie. Don't trade him straight up!

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Snipeshow

Keep Malkin.

Trade for a tier 2 goalie (think: Fleury, Ward, Backstrom, Thomas) by using a player + goalie.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote