HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2009-2010 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-14-2009, 09:24 AM
  #1
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
2009-2010 News Around the NHL thread

This thread is for non-Panthers news that happens in the NHL, to keep people from starting a new thread for every story they personally think is "interesting"

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline  
Old
09-14-2009, 11:35 AM
  #2
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
just got back from the first of 2 public practices for the Bs at the "gahden" today. here's a shot of julien talking to the "chief" (you all better know who that is), who stopped by to see a bit of the session.

interestingly, thornton was running the drills on D.


Last edited by zeroG: 12-05-2013 at 01:03 PM.
zeroG is offline  
Old
09-14-2009, 12:17 PM
  #3
pb1300
BLEED RED
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,632
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
just got back from the first of 2 public practices for the Bs at the "gahden" today. here's a shot of julien talking to the "chief" (you all better know who that is), who stopped by to see a bit of the session.

interestingly, thornton was running the drills on D.
Man, thats the only thing that I miss from the States...LIVE HOCKEY

pb1300 is offline  
Old
09-14-2009, 02:37 PM
  #4
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
not sure if folks know this or not but drew larman is in camp with the Bs. he was there at the 2nd practice. i knew we hadn't retained him but wasn't sure where he landed.

zeroG is offline  
Old
09-14-2009, 02:40 PM
  #5
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 6,867
vCash: 536
will rask be thomas' backup?

Panteras is offline  
Old
09-16-2009, 03:27 PM
  #6
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
Holy crap, has anyone else heard about this?!?!

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/ho...59116-sun.html

Acadmus is offline  
Old
09-16-2009, 04:36 PM
  #7
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Holy crap, has anyone else heard about this?!?!

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/ho...59116-sun.html
Ya gotta love government bureaucrats.

angry_treefrog is offline  
Old
09-16-2009, 05:08 PM
  #8
Panthers/Leafs fan
 
Panthers/Leafs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
I'd read this a while ago. It's more 9/11 fallout and I'm pretty sure they'll work it out. It doesn't just affect us but MLB and the NBA too.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline  
Old
09-16-2009, 05:13 PM
  #9
Panthers/Leafs fan
 
Panthers/Leafs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...938901-ap.html

Wow, no sooner do I mention it but they get right on it and take care of it.

Got anything else you need clearing up? Five minutes isn't bad!

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline  
Old
09-16-2009, 05:19 PM
  #10
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,053
vCash: 500
Someone on the main board suggested this is more a pro-union stance from the U.S. government, as this administration is very unionist. It had been an unspoken agreement for years, even though it was technically illegal. Then all of a sudden, new administration and a clamp down on the rules. I think the Canadian government only responded in kind after the U.S.(FAA) initiated it. It won't really affect the Southeast and Atlantic divisions too much, but the other divisions will be really affected by this. Especially the Northeast and Northwest, it'll be hell for them if there's no resolution.

Markstrom Rules is online now  
Old
09-16-2009, 05:23 PM
  #11
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...938901-ap.html

Wow, no sooner do I mention it but they get right on it and take care of it.

Got anything else you need clearing up? Five minutes isn't bad!
LOL I was too late. That's cool. Though, it does scare me that the people who enforce these policies don't plan ahead and couldn't have foreseen this. It's not just sports teams, it's other entertainers as well. Like....DUH.

Markstrom Rules is online now  
Old
09-16-2009, 10:16 PM
  #12
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
it does scare me that the people who enforce these policies don't plan ahead and couldn't have foreseen this
I think you could say that about a great many things these days.

angry_treefrog is offline  
Old
09-16-2009, 10:30 PM
  #13
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I think you could say that about a great many things these days.
True, it does seem like we just get dumber and dumber.

Markstrom Rules is online now  
Old
09-16-2009, 11:27 PM
  #14
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
since nobody's mentioned it, how about mac's duece (1g 1a) in his TB debut?

zeroG is offline  
Old
09-17-2009, 07:29 AM
  #15
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
True, it does seem like we just get dumber and dumber.
Which is why some of us think the less the government runs, the better. At least when businessmen and private individuals make mistakes, they usually pay for it. Bureaucrats just get passed over for the next promotion.

I forgot the name of the "law" from my public administration class, but there is a principle of management that applies heavily to bureaucracies where people will rise within an organization to the point at which they are incompetent, then that's where they stay.

Acadmus is offline  
Old
09-17-2009, 08:27 AM
  #16
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post

I forgot the name of the "law" from my public administration class, but there is a principle of management that applies heavily to bureaucracies where people will rise within an organization to the point at which they are incompetent, then that's where they stay.
The Peter Principle. "In a hierarchy every employee will rise to his own level of incompetence." It also applies to private business.

Clint is offline  
Old
09-17-2009, 08:49 AM
  #17
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500


let me correct that for you. holy...

zeroG is offline  
Old
09-17-2009, 08:52 AM
  #18
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post


let me correct that for you. holy...
But I'd only ask you, WHY do we end up paying for it??? Oh, yes...the boys in Washington...so I'm still right


Anyway, there was a rules change a couple months ago you should be aware of, and according to Buffaloed it's an absolute: No altering quotes. If you quote a post, you are allowed to clip it for the part that's relevant, but you're no longer allowed to alter what was quoted. I argued against that, but he's the boss. Check the board rules for the change.

Acadmus is offline  
Old
09-17-2009, 08:53 AM
  #19
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
The Peter Principle. "In a hierarchy every employee will rise to his own level of incompetence." It also applies to private business.
Thank you, Mr. "I graduated much more recently than you did" I'd long since forgotten the name of it.

Acadmus is offline  
Old
09-17-2009, 08:54 AM
  #20
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
what the heck - i can't quote??? for the love of...

my post above was an attempt to heckle acadmus. i mean that's a pretty funny statement in light of what's currently going on - government (e.g. taxpayer) bailouts of whole industries due to incompetence, negligence, and even malevolence. this is by no means limited to public sector.

zeroG is offline  
Old
09-17-2009, 08:55 AM
  #21
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
The Peter Principle. "In a hierarchy every employee will rise to his own level of incompetence." It also applies to private business.
Only business that grows to the size where it has a substantial management, by the way. In effect, it creates its own bureaucracy, and people in those businesses also tend to avoid accountability.

The only difference is that a boss can hold them accountable and fire them at a whim in most states, whereas they can't do that in government due to tenure.

Acadmus is offline  
Old
09-17-2009, 08:55 AM
  #22
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
But I'd only ask you, WHY do we end up paying for it??? Oh, yes...the boys in Washington...so I'm still right

Anyway, there was a rules change a couple months ago you should be aware of, and according to Buffaloed it's an absolute: No altering quotes. If you quote a post, you are allowed to clip it for the part that's relevant, but you're no longer allowed to alter what was quoted. I argued against that, but he's the boss. Check the board rules for the change.
oh, that's classic acad!

thanks for the heads up on the rule change. why can't i delete my (now) meaningless post?

zeroG is offline  
Old
09-17-2009, 09:03 AM
  #23
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Only business that grows to the size where it has a substantial management, by the way. In effect, it creates its own bureaucracy, and people in those businesses also tend to avoid accountability.

The only difference is that a boss can hold them accountable and fire them at a whim in most states, whereas they can't do that in government due to tenure.
iow, almost every single corporation. and the difference is that instead of coasting a bit on the public's dime, mgmt in the private sector is trying to figure out how to squeeze every last ounce of profit out of potential, even creating potential where it should not exist. that's where the negligence and malevolence comes into play. of course, as part of a large bureaucracy, they are able to avoid accountability. moreover, they most likely have deluded themselves into thinking they are not doing evil or perhaps even actually doing good.

with regulation, the markets are great but let's not kid ourselves - they also provide an opportunity for the worst in human nature to fester.

zeroG is offline  
Old
09-17-2009, 09:11 AM
  #24
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
iow, almost every single corporation. and the difference is that instead of coasting a bit on the public's dime, mgmt in the private sector is trying to figure out how to squeeze every last ounce of profit out of potential, even creating potential where it should not exist. that's where the negligence and malevolence comes into play. of course, as part of a large bureaucracy, they are able to avoid accountability. moreover, they most likely have deluded themselves into thinking they are not doing evil or perhaps even actually doing good.

with regulation, the markets are great but let's not kid ourselves - they also provide an opportunity for the worst in human nature to fester.
It's a double edged sword. No doubt, the corporation has its flaws...but let's face facts, the corporation only exists so that people can get money from other people (investors) to grow a business to epic proportions without having to be personally accountable for any debts they generate. But by doing that they are capable of growing to deliver goods and services to the broadest number of people. But all true business has a profit motive, which in itself is not evil...the problem is when the individual holds his own importance above that of the corporation.

Which is the main reason I don't like to work for large corporations - they're collectivistic ********

Government, meanwhile, is a bunch of leeches draining society and trying to grow their own power bases to control people. They produce nothing, but take all they can. But sometimes they have to justify their own worthless jobs, and that's when they do the most harm to the rest of us.

I'm off topic, aren't I? All right, I'll let you guys make the responses you'll want to make then we need to drop this from this particular board...sorry for dragging it off.

Acadmus is offline  
Old
09-17-2009, 09:21 AM
  #25
Panthers/Leafs fan
 
Panthers/Leafs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Acadmus wrote:

Quote:
I'm off topic, aren't I?
Yes sir, yes, you are! Now punish yourself!

(as an aside, if...and I don't believe it's going to happen...but if we don't make the playoffs this year, let's open up a thread so we can talk about things non-hockey and rant and rave, insult each other, and thus make the summer go by faster.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.