HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blueshirts lacking depth in key spots

Old
09-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Declan
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Blueshirts lacking depth in key spots

Link to Article
Quote:
So the Rangers have reconstructed their flanks by essentially trading in Markus Naslund, Nik Antropov, Nikolai Zherdev, Lauri Korpikoski, Fred Sjostrom and Colton Orr for Marian Gaborik, Christopher Higgins, Vinny Prospal, Ales Kotalik, Enver Lisin and Donald Brashear.

It's not exactly a cash-for-clunkers deal, but it sure does seem as if the ceiling for the new Rangers wingers is considerably higher than the one the departed could not crash through last season. And this does not take into account the potential impact the young and raw Evgeny Grachev might have at some point during the year if his development exceeds expectations.

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Levitate

Eh...

With the addition of Prospal, I don't think the center position is as bad as Brooks says. Assuming that Dubinsky signs at some point, they have some flexibility with being able to move Prospal to center if necessary.

I don't really think it's center depth they need to worry about, so much as high end skill.

And Brooks' assertion that it'd be bad to use Prospal because it weakens the wings he just talked up is kind of silly. Moving Prospal to center just means Lisin, who was pushed to the fourth line, gets bumped up. It's not a bad thing, doesn't hurt overall.

Also don't agree with his assessment of Anisimov, but I don't think Brooks has ever been much of a prospects guy

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 07:57 AM
rangerfan2

FWIW, Sam Rosen on Tuesday night during the broadcast said that the team was counting on Prospal to play center, and 'possibly 1st line center.' He didn't qualify that with any 'until Dubinsky signs' talk. If true, that changes some of the lineup projections we've been seeing around here. I'm not sure if it's for the better or not. FWIW.

rangerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 08:12 AM
TheRedressor

Brooks is a tool. Anisimov puts up 81 points in the AHL as a 20 year old and he projects to be a defensive third line center who can chip in offensively? His projection right now it to be a solid two-way center that could fill in nicely on the 2nd line. Brooks never has been and never will be a prospects guy.

As for his assesment of Boyle, couldn't disagree more. In both games he has gotten stronger as the game has gone on.

However Brooks was dead on with his assesment of Redden and Rozsival. If these two continue to play at that level then we definetly will see someone like Boulioun brought in for veteran support.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 09:39 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Brooks is a tool. Anisimov puts up 81 points in the AHL as a 20 year old and he projects to be a defensive third line center who can chip in offensively? His projection right now it to be a solid two-way center that could fill in nicely on the 2nd line. Brooks never has been and never will be a prospects guy.
I don't agree with Brooks' assessment of Anisimov's play either, but it's worth noting that Gordie Clark has said repeatedly that the organization sees Anisimov as a 3rd line center who can kick in some offense. So it's not like Brooks is pulling that out of think air.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 10:23 AM
rangerfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
I don't agree with Brooks' assessment of Anisimov's play either, but it's worth noting that Gordie Clark has said repeatedly that the organization sees Anisimov as a 3rd line center who can kick in some offense. So it's not like Brooks is pulling that out of think air.
Ya but I think that Gordie is taking some pressure off of AA and the organization with that kind of remark. AA projects are more than a #3--I think they are hoping that is his floor, not his ceiling.

rangerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:28 AM
94now

That is why I do not care much about pre-season games. Rangers dressed up AHL squad against NJ and Brook already draws his conclusions.
Why would Rozy and/or Redden put any effort forth? The purpose was to look how their young partners perform. In this case vets did what was required and played so-so game. Should they be jumping out of their pants and outshine the kids, Sullivan wouldn't be able to do evaluation properly. No one needs to know how vets are doing, Mr Brooks. Both Rozy and Redden are hardly Norris candidate, but to call them bad is just stupid. They had to play mediocre by design.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:54 AM
DutchShamrock

Well right now, Anisimov belongs in Hartford with the effort he is bringing to camp. I'm a big prospect guy and year in/year out I battle on here over the slow influx of youth coming out of camp.

I'm not bashing his potential or his future role with the team, but I am not fond of his camp or play thus far. My only request is that the best players with the best efforts make the team, not the sexiest prospect or the safest veteran. I gotta hold true to my views if I want to be fair and consistent. Anisimov better turn it around real soon.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan2 View Post
FWIW, Sam Rosen on Tuesday night during the broadcast said that the team was counting on Prospal to play center, and 'possibly 1st line center.' He didn't qualify that with any 'until Dubinsky signs' talk. If true, that changes some of the lineup projections we've been seeing around here. I'm not sure if it's for the better or not. FWIW.
Mike Barnett said the same thing to me Tuesday night when I was talking to him.

He said Brandon shouldn't be holding out and quickly changed the subject to Prospal centering Gaborik.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 01:21 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Well right now, Anisimov belongs in Hartford with the effort he is bringing to camp. I'm a big prospect guy and year in/year out I battle on here over the slow influx of youth coming out of camp.

I'm not bashing his potential or his future role with the team, but I am not fond of his camp or play thus far. My only request is that the best players with the best efforts make the team, not the sexiest prospect or the safest veteran. I gotta hold true to my views if I want to be fair and consistent. Anisimov better turn it around real soon.
Ani knows he is a lock. He will start playing when real poster will be out. His objectives are to save some energy for the opener in PIT and not get hurt prior or soon after. The only competition out there is for 6th and 7nd D. Between Potter, MDZ and Gilroy.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 01:40 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Mike Barnett said the same thing to me Tuesday night when I was talking to him.

He said Brandon shouldn't be holding out and quickly changed the subject to Prospal centering Gaborik.
i have said right along that vinny was brought here to play center. once the dubi thing went south, he was signed.

he is more skilled than dubinsky straight up. age not withstanding, hes the better choice to play with gaby this year.

and, if this is true and i believe it is, that opens up a slot at wing to take the best of lisin or grachev or perhaps both.

this seems realistic and we all know hes a "torts guy"

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 02:02 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Ani knows he is a lock. He will start playing when real poster will be out. His objectives are to save some energy for the opener in PIT and not get hurt prior or soon after.
This is complete and utter bull.

Last edited by squishy: 09-17-2009 at 02:11 PM.
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 02:14 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Ani knows he is a lock. He will start playing when real poster will be out. His objectives are to save some energy for the opener in PIT and not get hurt prior or soon after. The only competition out there is for 6th and 7nd D. Between Potter, MDZ and Gilroy.
wow....

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote