TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=291036

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 09:17 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Swedish forward Mikael Backlund, Calgary's No. 1 pick in the 2007 draft, appears ready to make the roster. The 20-year-old played on a line with Jokinen and Iginla on Sunday.
Interesting. I guess it possible we might see him this year after all. I just hope they don't rush him.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:13 PM
abracanada

vCash: 500
The biggest adjustment is going to be for guys like Iggy. No more cherry picking. He is going to have to think during the whole game and that is going to slow him down. He may get off to a slow start.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:15 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Flamez View Post
Interesting. I guess it possible we might see him this year after all. I just hope they don't rush him.
Not for sure just yet, but that line has a lot of talent on it. The three most talented forwards on the club I would dare say.

Old
09-13-2009, 11:21 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
I wouldn't read all that much into the lines just yet. I think it's a little early for TSN say Backlund is ready just because he is with Iggy and Jokinen.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Flamez View Post
Who was center who was wing?

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
The biggest adjustment is going to be for guys like Iggy. No more cherry picking. He is going to have to think during the whole game and that is going to slow him down. He may get off to a slow start.
I think the team may get off to a slow start, because this is a very different Flames hockey club. I fully expect growing pains, but after October, no excuses, I want them to play like the contenders they should be.

Old
09-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Grannys

Cant the season start already!!!!!!!!

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 09:56 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
I wouldn't read all that much into the lines just yet. I think it's a little early for TSN say Backlund is ready just because he is with Iggy and Jokinen.
True but if BAcklund does make the team all this talk is about him in the top 6. Guess he is getting that look by the coaches... How has Boyd been doing this camp? I for one would love a line of BAcklund - Jokinen - Iginla...

Old
09-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Depending on how Dawes performs, I wouldn't mind seeing him get some time on the top line. I can really see a guy like that reap huge benefits from playing with Iginla. I'm not suggesting making him a permanent fixture on that line, but even spot time on that line IMO could really help his game and overall confidence. It would also teach him night in night out what it takes to be a star in this league.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 11:42 AM
abracanada

They moved Backlund immediately to LW. Obviously, they are willing to try it out. That sounds to me like they are trying to see where they can fit him in.

Old
09-14-2009, 03:15 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
They moved Backlund immediately to LW. Obviously, they are willing to try it out. That sounds to me like they are trying to see where they can fit him in.
I am crossing my fingers that post sums it all up. I do not want Backlund rushed but if he is ready get this guy in the line up already!

Old
09-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Abonics

Quote:
agreed...the fact that he is playing with Iggy and Jokinen doesn't mean much right now. If anything, it's only an audition. The general consensus is that if backlund plays in calgary he should only play in the top 6....this is his chance to prove he can handle playing with the big boys

Quote:
interesting point....but i think you might be reading too much into this. If Backlund is going to play in the top 6 to start the year he must learn to play wing. I wouldn't say they're trying to fit him in....more like they're giving him a shot at the only place where there could be a spot for him (on the wing), because we just have too much depth at centre.

But if you're right.........................

Abonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 06:33 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
True but if BAcklund does make the team all this talk is about him in the top 6. Guess he is getting that look by the coaches... How has Boyd been doing this camp? I for one would love a line of BAcklund - Jokinen - Iginla...
He got a long look last year as well. He played with Iggy in the preseason IIRC last year as well. He is the flames best prospect right now and he'll be given a chance to make the club for sure.

I still think he is a long ways from making the team. Also think it is ridiculous for TSN to say he is ready after one day of camp.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 07:39 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
He got a long look last year as well. He played with Iggy in the preseason IIRC last year as well. He is the flames best prospect right now and he'll be given a chance to make the club for sure.

I still think he is a long ways from making the team. Also think it is ridiculous for TSN to say he is ready after one day of camp.
That whole TSN article is ridiculous...

Old
09-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Noori

Lol, apparently Sutter called out Iginla for being out of position and yelled at him. He was yelling at everyone . I like it, stars aren't getting away with anything, even if it is Jarome Iginla.

Old
09-14-2009, 10:58 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
Lol, apparently Sutter called out Iginla for being out of position and yelled at him. He was yelling at everyone . I like it, stars aren't getting away with anything, even if it is Jarome Iginla.
Hopefully the era of teh good old boys club is over. That might be what Sutter meant when he said this is a tough team to coach... either way I like what I am hearing.

Old
09-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Snipeshow

Is Backlund really going to make the team?

That would be great. I am very intrigued by him.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 12:11 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
Is Backlund really going to make the team?

That would be great. I am very intrigued by him.
He hasn't even played a game yet so no one knows (except maybe Sutter). Playing on a line with Iggy and Jokinen is a good sign but he isn't being played a lot in the pre-season. That I would take as a sign of being given a chance.

I notice Dawes is being suited up again tonight. He is definitely in the hunt.