HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unsung Kings prospect

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2004, 07:29 AM
stardog

vCash: 500
Unsung Kings prospect

Yo Kings fans....Some of you know me and some dont but since I am a Penguins fan this is going to be an unbiased report on a guy who I REALLY think should be up higher on your prospect list and whom I feel will surprise some people.
I have watched Connor James play in every one of his ECHL games this year (yes I know it is only the ECHL) and let me just tell you that the Kings certainly have a diamond (a hidden diamond) in this kid. His skating is superb as he has always been the quickest guy on the ice in all of the games I have seen.
His size isnt all that great and he makes a few bad reads in the O zone every now and then, but the kid would definatley be playing in Manchester had it not been for the lockout.
Dave Taylor was here in Bakersfield the other night scouting him specifically. This is his 3rd time here in Bako scouting James and Fukufuji.
Looking at James' stats, they do not tell the whole story. He is showing quickly that he is a force in this league and has earned rookie of the month honors in the ECHL.
He outplayed Scott Gomez when they went head to head (not saying that he is better than Gomez, just that he was on that particular night) and he has been the most noticable player (for good reasons) in almost every game this year. He stands out above all others when he is on the ice and as a rookie he certainly seems to have displayed that he should not be in the ECHL that long.
You guys should get up to Bakersfield and check the kid out. I think alot of you will be pleasently surprised at how fast he is and how (judging by his stats) he is not only good offensivley but he is an excellent penalty killer as well. If any of y'all are gonna make the trip up to Bakersfield to catch the 2 Kings prospects here, give me an email (y2james@gmail.com) and lemme know.
He is overlooked because of his draft position and size I believe, but he is starting to turn some heads and I dont think he will be overlooked all that much longer as he is starting to make some noise and has a buzz around him.
One other thing that is impressive (since people are going to judge him mostly by his point production) is that the other night he actually got in a fight because a guy gave him a wicked cheap shot. What was impressive about this is that James (#1) isnt a noted fighter, (#2) didnt hesitate and showed that he will not be pushed around, (#3) the other guy was MUCH bigger than James and he still went right at him and earned the respect of his team (and gave notice that he WILL not be the typical small skilled player who turns the other cheek, which I believe gets players respect from other teams).
But the BEST thing about this is that James BEAT THE LIVING CRAP out of the other guy!
If it were just his offense that I was impressed with, I probably wouldnt be posting this to keep you guys informed, as the ECHL is full of guys who can score (especially if they are smallish). But it is his penalty killing and his defensive work that has impressed me the most which shows that he cares about that aspect, works on it, and knows how to play every end of the ice. Plus, the fight showed some other intangibles.
So basically, I am posting this to give you all a heads up on this kid if you havent been paying attention before, because I think his star is rising and he could definatley help Manchester and possibly one day, the Kings...
Later all.

Old
11-13-2004, 07:42 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Thanks SD. I know for a fact that DFA has been following his college career. As have I to a lesser degree.

As I've always said, he's got skills, but where do they fit in? They are not elite enough to be a top line guy. Yes, he will do whatever is asked of him like a Chartrand type, but that's it. I think that really limits his potential.

11-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Where do you live in Bakersfield? I lived there from 1994-1997

Old
11-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Thanks SD. I know for a fact that DFA has been following his college career. As have I to a lesser degree.

As I've always said, he's got skills, but where do they fit in? They are not elite enough to be a top line guy. Yes, he will do whatever is asked of him like a Chartrand type, but that's it. I think that really limits his potential.
I'd be ecstatic if he ended up as the next Charty.....

Old
11-13-2004, 12:07 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Ya, you kind of have to when your best friend is a DU season tix holder.

11-13-2004, 03:38 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Thanks for taking the time to post that and I enjoyed reading it. He has always put up the numbers at college and for some reason he hasn't gained much respect on the boards. I'v never seen him play so I cant judge but he sounds like he is a diamon in the rough.

Old
11-13-2004, 04:52 PM
willie

Quote:
As I've always said, he's got skills, but where do they fit in? They are not elite enough to be a top line guy.
Very similar to Noah Clarke in that respect. It is evident that Clarke has NHL-calibre skill set but where does he get slotted in?

Old
11-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Fat Elvis

Hopefully their skills will slot them instead of the coach whom ever he may be. Clarke and James look to be similar in a lot of ways, but for sure they each have decent skills. I just hope they get a shot at displaying their skills instead of forced into a 4th liner 6-8 minutes guys. They may both suprise at how well they succeed if given the chance, their skills are very complimentary to make others on the ice better. A flash every now and then, but mostly they're consistant and bring it every night imo.

Old
11-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Sybil227

I don't know. I like both Clarke and James. Speedsters with decent skill sets.
Honestly, can you compare them to where Martin St. Louis was 3-4 years ago? And look where is now.
I'm NOT saying that they'll turn out that good. But I am saying given time to develop and ice time to display their skills, they might surprise some people.

BTW, this is my second reminder for those of us who live in LA and don't want to drive up to Bakersfield to see Fukufuji and James play: Bakersfield will be coming into Long Beach to play the Ice Dogs on Nov. 20th. Click here for ticket information:
http://www.icedogs.com/tickets/

Last edited by Sybil227: 11-13-2004 at 09:52 PM.
Old
11-14-2004, 04:53 AM
Homunculous

He is just awesome, tis a great guy. I was lucky enough to meet him and he is nice as well. I want to see him wearing a Kings uni more than most of our prospects, should be a real indicator of his skills when he gets called up to Manchester.

Old
11-14-2004, 05:36 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227
I don't know. I like both Clarke and James. Speedsters with decent skill sets.
Honestly, can you compare them to where Martin St. Louis was 3-4 years ago? And look where is now.
I'm NOT saying that they'll turn out that good. But I am saying given time to develop and ice time to display their skills, they might surprise some people.

BTW, this is my second reminder for those of us who live in LA and don't want to drive up to Bakersfield to see Fukufuji and James play: Bakersfield will be coming into Long Beach to play the Ice Dogs on Nov. 20th. Click here for ticket information:
http://www.icedogs.com/tickets/
You can compare them pretty easily IMO. Clarke is closer to the sick skill that St Louis has.

Closed Thread