HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery Assistant Captain

Old
09-17-2009, 10:47 AM
mullichicken25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
They do want Avery to take a leadership role, that's what they said on the game last night. I don't think that they'll make him an assistant captain though. I think it's just because they needed an "A" for the game and he is one of the more experienced Rangers.

P.S. I am sick and tired of the refs making EVERY SINGLE CALL against Avery becuase of his reputation, it's really getting to me.
im sick and tired of people being surprised/upset about this

he brought it on himself and we just have to deal with it.

If you want Avery on the team (and i do) you have to be prepared to take the baggage that comes with him

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

You don't give an "A" to someone who repeatedly minuscules his stature as a player, the organization as a whole, and his teammates.

Sean Avery will never have a letter in this league.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:26 AM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
he can be an assistant captain as long as he's not an alternate captain
yea someone got it right; there is no such animal as assistant captain in hockey, designation doesn't exist. It's alternate captain! if you're going to post about C's and A's at least get terminology correct

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:35 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
P.S. I am sick and tired of the refs making EVERY SINGLE CALL against Avery becuase of his reputation, it's really getting to me.
You better get used to it. He has earned his treatment.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:37 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Agitator View Post
If Clarckson can get the A...
I wish the Rangers had Clarkson instead of Avery.

Old
09-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I wish the Rangers had Clarkson instead of Avery.
Gotta say I agree. They do a lot of the same things...but Avery is the one who just cant seem to stop himself from treading OVER the line. In the words of Charlie Murphy, hes a habitual linestepper.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Quote:
You better get used to it. He has earned his treatment.
There's no such thing as "earning" being treated differently by the referees. It's like if I got a couple speeding tickets and then the cops just started giving me tickets anytime I was close to speeding. The referees aren't doing their jobs every time they call a **** penalty against Avery. They're supposed to enforce the rules for everyone. It's garbage that they can get away with treating certain players differently. I don't care about their pasts, just call the game straight.

As far as Avery with an "A", I'm not too sure about that. If the team values him as a leader, that's fine. I just don't think that's the case. I'd honestly consider having Prospal get an "A" as a way to represent the new Rangers on the team and there's a bunch. Plus, he's a vet and I think he could be a decent influence on the younger guys for the year. Rozi to represent the D and all the longer serving Rangers.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 12:44 PM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post
There's no such thing as "earning" being treated differently by the referees. It's like if I got a couple speeding tickets and then the cops just started giving me tickets anytime I was close to speeding. The referees aren't doing their jobs every time they call a **** penalty against Avery. They're supposed to enforce the rules for everyone. It's garbage that they can get away with treating certain players differently. I don't care about their pasts, just call the game straight.

As far as Avery with an "A", I'm not too sure about that. If the team values him as a leader, that's fine. I just don't think that's the case. I'd honestly consider having Prospal get an "A" as a way to represent the new Rangers on the team and there's a bunch. Plus, he's a vet and I think he could be a decent influence on the younger guys for the year. Rozi to represent the D and all the longer serving Rangers.
I don't think Prospal would be a good influence on the youngsters. Taking every other year off and worrying more about your tan than your shot isn't exactly how I want to see Callahan, Anisimov and Grachev come around - though Grachev could probably use a tan and ProActiv.

Frankly I'd love to see Avery with an A or even the C. He's honest to a fault and wouldn't spare any criticism - sounds like Torts. The refs would have to actually talk to him, and reason with him, which would make for great entertainment. Also - from the offseason, it does sound like a bunch of the players look to him for leadership already and whether his actions say it or not, he's a big part of this team and a "team player"

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 12:55 PM
chosen

Quote:
You can quibble with the word "earning" but you'd better come to grips with the reality that having Avery, for the immediate future, means a slew of similar incidents.

This notion that you want everything called fairly is a fairy tale. The top players get the call their way in every sport. The Avery treatment is just a variation on it. This is one reason why some of us were opposed to acquiring him and you can't deny that he has brought everything upon himself by acting like a simpleton.

Old
09-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Quote:
This notion that you want everything called fairly is a fairy tale. The top players get the call their way in every sport. The Avery treatment is just a variation on it. This is one reason why some of us were opposed to acquiring him and you can't deny that he has brought everything upon himself by acting like a simpleton.
Call it idealism but that's just the way I think things should be. Referees should call the game as the rules stipulate. Avery is and will continue to be treated differently because of his reputation and it will affect the Rangers, I wasn't disputing that. If he's as big of a nuisance as people perceive, though, he'll actually earn penalties the normal way without having the referees make up calls.

Oh, and to go back to Prospal. He doesn't have a big contract this year and last night they said that he promised Torts to give his all for this team this year. It might be a little optimistic that he'll hold to his word but, if he did, I think he could have veteran experience that no one else on our team has. Plus, if the other two positions go to Americans/Canadians, it could help team chemistry to have a Euro player grab a captaincy spot.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Thefalkon

Please give it to Redden or Rozsival, don't give Avery that kind of role. He hasn't shown that he is a capable leader either.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Fletch

I agree with you, Gaborik. I know it's human nature and how the world works, but I just like to see things called correctly and fairly. A trip's a trip if Avery does it or if Crosby does it. To me, that's the bottom line. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on what side of the table you're on, to protect the stars guys (and in some instances the game) like Avery need to be kept in check and the refs will lean harder on them.

I do agree that Avery has earned whatever reputation he has with whomever, and unfortunately the refs are human and there are prejudices that arise from his antics, I mean behavior.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 02:33 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
I think Dubi blew any shot he had with this stupid holdout.
Spot on. Unfortunate for both parties.

I would hope that one young player gets an "A" but I believe Staal, Girardi and Callahan are quiet types. From what I have read, Dubinsky is the leader type young players.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 02:34 PM
chosen

Quote:
Call it idealism but that's just the way I think things should be. Referees should call the game as the rules stipulate. Avery is and will continue to be treated differently because of his reputation and it will affect the Rangers, I wasn't disputing that. If he's as big of a nuisance as people perceive, though, he'll actually earn penalties the normal way without having the referees make up calls.
The place where it bothers me far more than in your example is the way the game is called late in the 3rd or in overtime as opposed to at other times but I must say that this situation is wayyyyy better than it used to be.