Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hubert Labrie to sign ELC with Dallas

Old
09-11-2009, 09:22 AM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Hubert Labrie to sign ELC with Dallas

Ask and ye shall receive. I'm very excited to say the least.

Quote:
Defenseman victoriavillois Hubert Labrie should conclude in the coming days an agreement with the organization of the Dallas Stars.

The rookie tournament of the National Hockey League, held in Traverse City, Mich., ended Thursday. Labrie was impressed to the point where the Stars organization, not to lose its exclusivity rights - having not been drafted-him would guarantee a basic contract with two strands of three seasons.

A close supporter of 18 years told the www.lanouvelle.net that the agreement had still not been concluded at the time of writing. Whatever happens, the back of Gatineau will be back in Ottawa on Saturday. He will play his third season career in the Junior Hockey League Quebec Major.
http://www.lanouvelle.net/article-37...e-entente.html

Assuming this information is accurate, he will still not attend Dallas' training camp. This guy is respected in the QMJHL, and he could be a good prospect for the Stars. He was excellent in the Memorial Cup as a 16 year old.

Last edited by BigG44: 09-11-2009 at 09:33 AM.
BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 09:27 AM
BigG44

Here's info I have posted about Labrie before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
What's happened to Hubert Labrie this year? His stock seems to have plummeted and so has his production in Gatineau.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Gatineau isn't the same team anymore. It's hard for a 17 yo to be the leader on defense...
This guys is a good source:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
He's trying though. I would say his level of play has improved over last year, definitely his role is larger. He's pretty much playing a #1 role with the team, seeing the opposition's top line, playing pp, pk.
Simply a case that Gatineau isn't particularly strong this year and that's why his numbers are off.
Quote:
Once thought to be a top candidate for the 2009 draft, Labrie appeared overwhelmed and overworked at times as the go-to defender in Gatineau. His slightly below-average size of 5'10 and 158 pounds works against him, as he has trouble handling opposing forwards. But that isn't to say that he can't hold his own physically, where Labrie is a willing combatant in the corners, but can be out-muscled by larger opponents. He still has the puck skills and solid skating ability that caught the eyes of many during Gatineau's championship season in 2007-08.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/5691

The guy is very young. He just turned 18 a few days ago, and he should put on more weight. He could even get a little taller.

Quote:
The second-year defenceman began earning the credit he deserved during the Olympiques' playoff run en route to the league title. His defensive awareness and ability to perform at an elite level as a rookie raised eyebrows around the league and coaches were quick to single him out for this category.

"Hubert Labrie, no question," one coach said. "He is one of the best defencemen in our league and I think people don't talk about him enough. He's a defensive defenceman, he's very tough to beat one-on-one, he's a competitor and he can hit. Hubert Labrie is very, very good."

"He had a great Memorial Cup, had a great playoff round and I heard he played really well for Canada's under-18 team," another coach said. "He's a little guy and I know a lot of people underestimate him, but he pays attention to detail and gets the job done."
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...hl_coach_poll/

Quote:
8. Hubert Labrie, D – Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL): Labrie has put up a fantastic plus-19 rating during Gatineau’s playoff run, good for second in the league behind teammate Claude Giroux. And get this: The kid’s still only 16. Talk about poise at a young age. Draft eligible in 2009.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-exposure.html

Old
09-11-2009, 10:08 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Those characteristics kind of remind me of Robidas, except Robi was a huge point producer in the Q beginning in his 2nd year whereas Labrie dropped way off.

Regardless, more D prospects in the system = good.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Regardless, more D prospects in the system = good.
My thoughts exactly.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Hossa

I see I was quoted in this thread, but wanted to add a few comments because after posing that question I saw Labrie play a handful of times, primarily in the playoffs. Because I was out of the Ottawa-Gatineau area until January I didn't see Labrie and the Olympiques in general struggle, so I still can't speak to that. Here is what I can offer though.

The style comparison to Robidas is a good one I think, as would be maybe Francois Beauchemin, if Labrie fills out a bit more. The drop-off in production is somewhat deceiving I think, because Labrie does in fact have some offensive ability. When I saw him though he was not asked to be an offensive force though because veterans Alain Goulet (mid-season addition) and Maxime Mallette handled most of that, supported moreso by Laporte and Delisle than Labrie. But Labrie still skates well, handles the puck decently, and can move it. I doubt he was signed for his offensive ability. He can probably put up numbers in the Q as this year and next, but his offensive abilities would need a lot of development for them to really translate.

What Labrie does bring is some good defensive potential. His listed size is a bit misleading, he is short but he is reasonably solidly built, and can handle the rough stuff. What I liked about him was first and foremost his ability to play the man and track attacking forwards. He looks like he has some good natural defensive zone awareness, and could become a pretty good cover defenceman. This is helped by a good deal of aggressiveness. I saw him go for quite a few big hits, and that's admirable to an extent. However, I think he has to figure out a better balance between aggressiveness and awareness. He would get into these hyper-aggressive shifts and play wildly out of position, too often taking a penalty as well. For a player who has the potential to be a defensive leader, I actually soured on him the more I saw him play out of control. What I was unsure of though was the reason for the wildness, whether it was trying to do too much, perhaps a lack of hockey sense, or maybe it was just a matter of circumstance.

In any event, I think it's a decent signing although I have to say I am somewhat surprised he earned a contract so soon. In my viewings last year, with his stock already having plummeted, I could see both why some had been high on him as an NHL prospect, and also why he had dropped. Hopefully for your Stars he develops nicely. If you'd told me in 2002 that Francis Wathier would go much further in the Dallas organization than Martin Vagner, I'd have laughed hysterically, so who knows, a lot can happen. I actually liked Vagner in his draft year and few NHL-drafted junior players have ever looked more awful to me than Wathier.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 10:48 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

sounds good to me

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 05:24 PM
txomisc

Hopefully they get a deal done with Tristan King as well

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 06:58 AM
Lucky Luke

Labrie now weighs 178 pounds, up 20 pounds from 2 years ago. This guy's physical engagement on the ice is quite a spectacle to watch. I have seen him for the last 2 years. He was amazing in the 2007-08 playoffs when at 16, his responsibility was to cover the opponents' best offensive player throughout the 4 playoff series played that year. In the 19 playoff games leading to the Gatineau Olympiques' President's Cup win that season, none of these 4 normally high-scoring players (McNicoll from Shawinigan, Esposito from Quebec, Voracek from Halifax, Riendeau from Rouyn) had any points at even-strength against the Olympiques, mainly because of Labrie's outstanding defensive play and physical presence.

Last edited by Lucky Luke: 09-12-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 09:03 AM
BigG44

It's pretty much a done deal. Should be official Monday, and I'll pull some quotes when I'm done reading.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-droit/s...-des-stars.php

Quote:
After his second game against the recruits of the Minnesota Wild, the Director General of the Stars went to meet him to show his intention to sign him.
Quote:
The NHL teams have a window of two years to put the players they repêchent contract. In the case of Labrie, the Stars have no choice but to sign a three-year deal before the start of the regular season in the NHL, otherwise they risk losing the next amateur draft.
Basically, NHL teams have two years to sign draft picks. Draft Eligible, Undrafted players have a small window to sign with a team before the season. Based on his age, Labrie has to sign a 3 year contract. However, it really won't begin for 2 more years because he will not play NHL games the next 2 years.

Quote:
"The contract is not signed, but it should be done by Monday. I could refuse the offer, have a great year and go out early the next draft, but it's too much risk. I might get hurt. I do not want to go through the repechage [Draft makes sense based on the usage here and above]. The Stars have a new team in the American League in Texas and they need advocates. The opportunity is great, "said Labrie of the Detroit airport where he was preparing to join his Olympic teammates in Rimouski.
Quote:
"The Stars said they had thought of me recover, but they were not convinced of my ability to win fights against the one along the ramps. At camp, I told them I was proved strong enough to do it and I could recover the puck and make a good first pass thereafter. They said they were surprised by my game and they wanted to offer me a contract. It made my week! » "

On landing in Traverse City, Labrie had not made too many illusions. "I have not played in the opener. From the top of the bleachers, I noticed that the guys were huge and fast. I wondered if I could follow, but once on the ice, everything went well, "
The Stars also told Tristan King they considered drafting him. From many accounts, King was also very impressive this week. I wonder if he will be offered a contract as well.

Last edited by BigG44: 09-12-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old
09-12-2009, 06:58 PM
BigG44

http://www.lanouvelle.net/article-37...e-semaine.html

Another article. This one claims the Stars have only expressed interest, but no financial terms have been discussed. Agents said that they won't sign if it's not a good offer. First article quoted Labrie, this one is from the agents.

Old
09-14-2009, 02:46 PM
________

vCash: 109
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Unless things changed tomorrow will find out if Labrie or King signed.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Looks like Labrie's off to a good start with Gatineau.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=106642

He's nearly equaled last year's offensive output after just one game.

09-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Captain Awesome

Ahahaha, that is a great stat.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 12:35 PM
BigG44

From about 30 minutes ago: http://www.lanouvelle.net/article-37...ur-Labrie.html

Claims the terms were agreed upon yesterday, and Labrie is officially signed.

Old
09-17-2009, 02:05 PM
BigG44

Follow up story: http://www.lanouvelle.net/article-37...ranquille.html

Includes quotes from Labrie and his agent. The deal is definitely done.

Old
09-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Cool.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 02:30 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
This was my favorite part of the translation:
Quote:
In 2007, at its first season in the League of hockey major junior of Quebec, Labrie has surprised, registering two goals and collecting 17 master keys in 61 matches.
What happens if he collects all the master keys?? Can he then open the master chest? What's in that? Is it dangerous?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Can he then open the master chest?

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 03:36 PM
QcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Looks like Labrie's off to a good start with Gatineau.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=106642

He's nearly equaled last year's offensive output after just one game.
what happened is that Labrie has always wanted to be a complete dman, but wasn't playing regular on the PP. He went to see the coach at the beginning of the year and told him he wants to develop his offensive side. He was put on the PP and had 3 assists in the game. We'll see what the rest of the year brings in terms of offense, and how much PP time he gets (Gatineau already has Delisle and a euro (Janosik) who play the PP, but he'll get his share).

QcS is offline   Reply With Quote