HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils sign Alexander Urbom

Old
09-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Cowbell232

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Why can't Urbom just go play in Lowell this season, is he to young?
The Junior contract only has an NHL clause. He can play 9 games in the NHL and still report to juniors, but he can't play in any other league at all.

09-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Why can't Urbom just go play in Lowell this season, is he to young?
More than that, I think he's better off developing anywhere BUT the Devils' AHL team. Talk about a death trap for prospects.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
More than that, I think he's better off developing anywhere BUT the Devils' AHL team. Talk about a death trap for prospects.
Especially it seems for the D-prospects lately.

I'd love to see him play a year of junior to get used to the ice size and style of play and then completely dominate at that level. Then see what happens next year. I'm still very high on this kid though...

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Especially it seems for the D-prospects lately.

I'd love to see him play a year of junior to get used to the ice size and style of play and then completely dominate at that level. Then see what happens next year. I'm still very high on this kid though...
A part of me still thinks he could get a looksee at the NHL this year. Lemaire didn't bump him down to the second practice and I thought he got stronger as the game went on yesterday.

Old
09-17-2009, 03:41 PM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
A part of me still thinks he could get a looksee at the NHL this year. Lemaire didn't bump him down to the second practice and I thought he got stronger as the game went on yesterday.

I really want to see him in the lineup come opening night even if it's only for = or <10.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Like I said, he's got 9 possible games...

Once he 'makes' the big club, I will buy his jersey. I really like his style for some reason.

Old
09-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
The Junior contract only has an NHL clause. He can play 9 games in the NHL and still report to juniors, but he can't play in any other league at all.
Junior contract? Geez, that's a heck of a lot of money. I thought once signed to a pro contract it was up to the Devils to decide where he played. Thanks for the info.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
I would really like it if Urbom managed to make it onto the roster this year. When was the last time a third round pick played in the NHL the very next season after his draft? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Junior contract? Geez, that's a heck of a lot of money. I thought once signed to a pro contract it was up to the Devils to decide where he played. Thanks for the info.
The contract slides to next year if he plays in less than 10 games with the pro team. At least, that's how I think it works. He isn't getting paid 800 K to play in juniors, that would be absurd.

Old
09-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
The contract slides to next year if he plays in less than 10 games with the pro team. At least, that's how I think it works. He isn't getting paid 800 K to play in juniors, that would be absurd.
That is how it works. If he plays fewer than 9 games, then the contract slides. Same goes for Cormier. They're both under contract for three years, but if they don't play 9+ NHL games this season, those three years don't begin until 2010-2011.

Old
09-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Quote:
That is how it works. If he plays fewer than 9 games, then the contract slides. Same goes for Cormier. They're both under contract for three years, but if they don't play 9+ NHL games this season, those three years don't begin until 2010-2011.
It's just to make sure that once he's NHL ready, he's on the Devils without any question.

Old
09-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
It's just to make sure that once he's NHL ready, he's on the Devils without any question.
It also probably saves the team a little money on his contract. If we waited until next year to sign him after he's already ripped through the WHL, it might take a little more money to sign him. The savings isn't that much, but I am glad they are being proactive about it.

Old
09-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Devilswede

Urbom is eligible to play in the AHL because he's an European prospect and was drafted out of Europe. Even if he's in juniors now he can still end up in the AHL if he and the Devils want him to.

Devilswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilswede View Post
Urbom is eligible to play in the AHL because he's an European prospect and was drafted out of Europe. Even if he's in juniors now he can still end up in the AHL if he and the Devils want him to.
True, but if he plays in 10 pro games doesn't that start his contract, regardless of whether he is in the AHL or the NHL? Is the contract two way, or does he get paid the same amount no matter which pro league he is in? If he will get paid the same amount playing in the AHL, and it will start his contract, the Devils should have him spend a year in the WHL instead.

Old
09-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
True, but if he plays in 10 pro games doesn't that start his contract, regardless of whether he is in the AHL or the NHL? Is the contract two way, or does he get paid the same amount no matter which pro league he is in? If he will get paid the same amount playing in the AHL, and it will start his contract, the Devils should have him spend a year in the WHL instead.
From my perspective, putting him in the AHL is not the best move. The aspect of his game that needs the most development right now is his offense, and he's going to develop that the most in the WHL. If he doesn't make the Devils, he should be given a chance to tear up a league for a while and grow both as a player and in confidence.

Old
09-17-2009, 04:23 PM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Say no to the A. Big club or the Dubb.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Devilswede

Quote:
Well, obviously it's a two-way contract and it would count regardless if he were to play in the AHL or NHL. He would get an AHL salary in Lowell.

Contract wise it would be better to send him back to juniors and let him develop, but if he's ready and near the NHL I wouldn't be opposed to having him in the AHL, even if it means that his contract would kick in.

Devilswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Let him decimate the WHL for a year.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Say no to the A. Big club or the Dubb.
Great way to say it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
God I hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilswede View Post
Well, obviously it's a two-way contract and it would count regardless if he were to play in the AHL or NHL. He would get an AHL salary in Lowell.

Contract wise it would be better to send him back to juniors and let him develop, but if he's ready and near the NHL I wouldn't be opposed to having him in the AHL, even if it means that his contract would kick in.
I don't know the details of it, but I don't think he's eligible to play in the A since he was drafted and signed to the WHL...

Old
09-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
Agreed.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote