HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"The Boys Are Back In Town" - 9/17/09 - Nasvhille vs. Atlanta

Old
09-17-2009, 11:45 PM
OpenWheel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

Eaves left early with an injury, supposedly out a few days.

Laakso had a great game, hopefully he keeps it up. He was physical and hard around the boards. He was reading the plays well. And he got a goal to boot. One of my favorite efforts from the night. If he keeps this up, he has a roster spot.
Excellent update thanks. Love it when the eye witness reports make it in. Surprised Ellis wasn't good, but I remember now the raves were for a couple early plays and then I didn't hear his name as positively later in the game.

I didn't know much about Laakso until this offseason where I did more reading about his game and what his coaches and fans say. And they say what you said about his game tonight. That he's a very solid defenseman, will hit but also gets good position. Very glad he played well.

On Eaves, yeah, City Paper says out for a bit..

*Free agent forward Ben Eaves sustained a groin injury on his final shift of the first period and did not return. According to Trotz, the initial diagnosis for Eaves, who had an assist and one shot on goal, to miss four-five days of camp.

Too bad. Story of his career. Man, Crispy couldn't stop talking about him in the first, as far as what type of plays he was capable of making.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:48 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
So we win the 60 minutes 5-0 but lose the shootout..
When you put the Swedish Fiddler in as your third shooter, that's probably going to happen more often than not.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:12 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
When you put the Swedish Fiddler in as your third shooter, that's probably going to happen more often than not.
he was on side!

and i think he looked pretty good out there tonight. i know you like to be hard on a few guys, and thats fine. i do think he is way more skilled than fiddler will ever be. just my opinion

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:25 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
and i think he looked pretty good out there tonight. i know you like to be hard on a few guys, and thats fine. i do think he is way more skilled than fiddler will ever be. just my opinion
Not that it takes much.

I liked Thuresson in his first camp with us. He showed speed, a willingness to shoot and a tendency to play the body. He hasn't really developed a whole lot since then, though.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:26 AM
predfan24

Just got back from the game! To be honest I forgot how boring preseason hockey was. It was great to get back into the Sommet however. I'll do a breakdown of what I saw tonight.

First it was very obvious ATL was playing with prospects and grinders. They were awful. I think that is important when evaluating our players this game. I only noticed Kane twice. Once at the beginning when I was looking for him and once when they were on the PP. I didn't see Bogosian or Esposito either. I don't think either played.

First off all the regs looked great. Arny, Dumont, Sully, Webs, Sutes all looked on just another atmosphere than all other players. Belak was injured I believe with a slight groin strain and left early. I'll start with the D:

Teemu Laasko- Was the best Dman after Webs and Sutes IMO and I'm not just saying that because he scored a goal. He was solid all around. He doesn't shy away from contact. He isn't a banger but he engages physically. I could see him grabbing a spot on the 3rd pairing helping out the PK.

Alex Sulzer- I don't know what to say about him honestly. He didn't really stick out. Unspectacular but steady. I would be curious to see how he would do against better competition.

Cody Franson- I thought he was average. His footspeed has been criticized and while he definitely isn't Suter he seems to get around OK and he was in good position most of the time. However he is a offensive Dman and I didn't see him do anything really worth noting offensively. Also he doesn't take the body enough. Gptta give him props for dropping the gloves. He obviously isn't an experienced fighter but he held his own.

Ryan Ellis- Boy at the very beginning of the game when he and Weber came out at the same time I was SHOCKED. Ellis looked to be about 1/4 of Weber's size from my club seat. However just as has been said his size didn't hurt him this game. He won't break cycles but size wasn't an issue tonight. He defiintly needs to become thicker the next few years however. I thought he looked nervous tonight but you can see the potential, particularly on the PP. Still a couple years away IMO.

Forwards:

Ryan Jones: Had a good game. To me it looked like he has become a faster, better skater and he was shooting the puck harder than last year. He easily could have had a goal tonight.

Cal O'Reily- Had a decent game. His type of game usually doesn't stand out unless he is scoring. I didn't notice him too much.

Patric Hornqvist- Hustled, hustled, Hustled. However that has never been his problem. He had two assists and played well. However he still doesn't look like he has a chance to make the team this year IMO.

Peter Olvecky- Decent surprise, not much skill it seems but seems to be a good hardworking guy. Good depth guy for us.

Ben Eaves- I was really impressed with this guy in the limited time we saw of him. I had heard good reports from camp and he delivered on my expectations. Small speedy playmaker is the best way to describe him IMO. He made the Laasko goal happen. Unfortunately, the post game show said he had a more significant groin injury than Belak's tonight. I was looking forward to how management would have handled this guy. Hopefully he gets back soon. He could be this years "Joel Ward"

Nick Spaling- Came as advertised. Solid two way play tonight. Likely will be with the Ads though again this year.

Andreas Thurreson- Hustler describes him best. He gave his all. However I would be shocked if he ever made it to the NHL.

Colin Wilson- He got better as the game went on. Today was actually his fourth game in 4 days. I don't care who you are that is tough. Honestly I thought he was decent until the third then he really stood out. His two assists were more of just being in the right place at the right time type of assists. His goal was pretty. A nice one on one power move on the defender and then a great finish. Pretty good for a non finisher. No matter how you look at it though 2 assists and one goal is impressive. Physically he is ready. Mentally I believe he is too. It's just a matter of how management wants to handle him.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
As the City Paper reported Ben Eaves left the game at the end of the first period with a groin injury and is expected to miss several days of camp before being re-evaluated. Disappointing for sure because he was flying around and making an early case for a darkhorse spot on the roster...

Belak also left the game in the third period due to a groin injury and is listed as day-to-day.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:58 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Stinks about Eaves...he was playing really well up until that point, and from all accounts, if he could have stayed healthy after being drafted he probably would never have left the NHL. Just a minor injury, but doesn't spell well when it's his first game.

Laakso has to have the early jump on one of those vacant roster spots. He was throwing the body, positionally sound, and his spin-o-rama goal was quite nice as well.

That tic-tac-toe goal from Sullivan(who went through three guys to take the puck into the danger zone) to Arnott to Dumont has me excited to see what that line could do over a full season.

Pleased with what I saw from R. Ellis...some rookie mistakes, but overall you can see what they see in him. Watching him in pregame was amazing...he was putting the puck top shelf from above the circles time and time again. His shot is so hard and accurate.

Both goalies looked good. Dekanich wasn't tested much, but Ellis made some pretty big stops early on.

Not much more to say about Colin Wilson...quite a coming out party for him.

Good games from Hornqvist(SEVEN shots, 2 assists) Spaling and Thuresson. Jones had some great moments and a couple of bad. Dumont and Sullivan each probably could have had an additional goal if not for whiffed shots on open nets, but probably just rust.

Weber and Suter looked dominant out there. Of course, ATL wasn't fielding many offensive threats, but they were just stifling.

Sulzer was.... eh. Decent.

Franson was probably the worst of the defensemen. There's just no way he's ready yet.

Would have liked to have seen Ryan Ellis get a chance in the shootout instead of Thuresson. Oh well, at least it was meaningless.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:59 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

you could also tell that it was a "casual fan" night, and many that received free tickets were not what you'd call a die-hard. with 5 minutes to go in the game, I'd say 40 to 50 percent of the original crowd had left.

Old
09-18-2009, 01:12 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 8001
just one man's opinion

Olvecky - looked like the slow man out there tonight, he had many great chances for rushes and breaks into the goal and the play caught up with him every time.

Franson - had a forgetable game, owned that guy in the first half of the fit, then got his rear handed to him at the end

Ellis - great positionally and good outlet passes but he is a tiny man. I cant imagine what he would do against the Bertuzzis and Thorntons of the world.

The vets dominated, but that was to be expected against the Thrash b-team.

I think Hornqvist has got to be done. He is a really good skater but just really doesnt bring much and is taking up a roster spot. He is like Erat if you took away all of the pure talent.

The first goal was all determination and hustle from Eaves, really too bad he got hurt

Colin Wilson is the real deal, no way he doesnt start in Nashville.

I didnt notice Kane and Esposito as much as I thought I would.

Sulzer, Franson, Ellis, and Laakso al have great potential, but as hard as it is to say, we better get DeVries on the phone.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:10 AM
Jarnberg

http://predators.nhl.tv/team/console...d=737&id=46682

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 03:54 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Frostys!!

SAD looked great. Sully made guys look silly.

Wilson, Thuresson, Spaling, Hornqvist, Laakso, Jones, SAD line, Weber/Suter - These guys all stood out for good play.

Ryan Ellis - looked good in his first pro game, smart decisions with the puck. Looked really small.

-Jones was flying all over. Hit the post once or twice.

-Wilson - was great. He seemed to get better as the game went on. Played in 4 games and has 3 or 4 goals and multiple points in at least 3 games. We'll see what happens with better opponents, but so far...welcome to nashville.

Good PK on ATL's 5-on-3 to start the third period. Even though we didn't score any PPG's, I thought it looked improved. They were taking shots and moving around, guys screening the goalie.

Good game, 5-0 against anyone is a great way to start the preseason.

Best moment - They tried a new "cheer". It was called 'stomp, stomp, clap'. One half the arena stomps 2x and the other clap. They did it about 4 times. When it was over, the crowd booed it!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
Best moment - They tried a new "cheer". It was called 'stomp, stomp, clap'. One half the arena stomps 2x and the other clap. They did it about 4 times. When it was over, the crowd booed it!
I could easily get up in arms about alot of the things they do in the arena, but I realize they try to keep newbie people in the game. However, stomp, stomp, clap was one of the worst things done in our arena. Booing was much appropriate and hilarious.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 11:54 AM
jstreet
Smashville

who is the genius that thought stomping a concrete floor would be a good idea?

Old
09-18-2009, 11:57 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I could easily get up in arms about alot of the things they do in the arena, but I realize they try to keep newbie people in the game. However, stomp, stomp, clap was one of the worst things done in our arena. Booing was much appropriate and hilarious.
it's made worse by how annoying "Mac" is. Stumbling over player's names, annoying voice, annoying personality-- i had hoped he wouldn't be back this year.

Old
09-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
it's made worse by how annoying "Mac" is. Stumbling over player's names, annoying voice, annoying personality-- i had hoped he wouldn't be back this year.
he is no worse than Bud like the Beer, Ford like the Truck

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:02 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I know.

The "cheers" they have tried each season have all been lame. I'm very resistant to anything they try and I suspect a lot of people are also.

Maybe they will get the idea after being booed last night.

Frankly I would toss out the cheerleaders also.

edit: I just realized the other people I would toss:

The people who insist on getting up continuously and leaving the row while play is going on.
The guy who tossed the puck back on the ice last night after catching it.
The man who insisted on standing and buying more beer from the vendor and blocking everyone's view.
The parents who let their kids jump up and down on their seats and pound on the glass continuously during one of the intermissions. I just hope they are not new season ticket holders.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Frankly I would toss out the cheerleaders also.
whaaaa??

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:32 PM
OpenWheel

Those puck patrol girls are great. They work hard to make things fun. They'd give you the shirt off their backs. Uhhhh, no wait, I believe that last part was just a dream I had.

Old
09-18-2009, 02:05 PM
jstreet
Smashville

I agree that the cheerleaders/ice girls should go. They bring absolutly nothing to enhance the in-game experience outside of having someone for men to drool over.

Im trying to keep my mind straight and enjoy a hockey game with my wife and I have a young girl showing 5 miles of skin throwing tshirts at me. I just dont need that.

Old
09-18-2009, 02:38 PM
OpenWheel

They're just pep girls/cheerleaders.

They're not pole dancers.

Old
09-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

So the only ones complaining about the cheerleaders are the ones who are married

Give us single guys a break, eh?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 03:13 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Hell I'm married, and I love the cheerleaders.....

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 03:32 PM
jstreet
Smashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
They're not pole dancers.
you are right, but only by a few inches of material.

anyway, Im too tired to launch into a debate on whether young girl eye candy is good for our culture or not.

to get back on topic:

Im guessing Wilson has earned some rest tonight after playing in 4 games straight.

Old
09-18-2009, 03:41 PM
OpenWheel

Yeah. GDT says that Wilson won't play. I'm not surprised.

Old
09-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Jonesey
Sons of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Hell I'm married, and I love the cheerleaders.....
I agree Trigg.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote