HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

quick question about spray painting helmets

Old
09-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Lario Melieux*

vCash: 500
quick question about spray painting helmets

Just bought a 150 dollar black Bauer helmet in anticipation for the upcoming college season and now after tryouts I find that everyone needs blue helmets.

Anyone ever tried spray painting a helmet before?

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:29 AM
NYRSinceBirth

It voids the certification, chips, and looks like ****. Buy a new helmet.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 04:12 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lario Melieux View Post
Just bought a 150 dollar black Bauer helmet in anticipation for the upcoming college season and now after tryouts I find that everyone needs blue helmets.

Anyone ever tried spray painting a helmet before?
Doesnt your school supply helmets/pants/gloves?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Jacob

Spray paint can make certain plastics weaker.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 09:53 AM
noobman

My school has one of the lowest athletic budgets in the province (state) and even they provide equipment for the team.

...our school doesn't even have it's own arena! They have to use one that's about 40 mins off campus.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 09:53 AM
densetsu

Personally, I would get a new helmet. They're not that expensive, especially considering the body part they're protecting. You could always try selling your black one on craigslist, or just keeping it as a backup.

That said, the steps I would take are:

1. Get a heat gun. On the low setting, warm up the certification stickers and remove them. Don't get too close and don't get them too hot, or else you'll stretch and/or burn them.

2. Take some 300-grit wet/dry sandpaper and wet-sand the surface of the helmet.

3. Spray the helmet with a few light coats of adhesion promoter (basically, primer for plastic). Let it dry about 15 minutes between coats, or whatever the spray can says.

4. Spray the helmet with several light coats of auto spray paint. Again, light coats, 15 minutes drying time between coats.

5. Spray the helmet with a couple light coats of auto clearcoat. Light coats, 15 minutes drying time, etc.

6. After everything has cured (at least a day, recommend a week), warm up the certification stickers with the heat gun, then re-apply them.

In the end you'll probably end up spending so much on supplies to do the job that it's not even worth it. Especially since spraybomb paint jobs aren't that durable and the solvents in the paint may weaken the plastics. Unless you want to do a custom paint job, but that's more suited to fiberglass goalie masks than player helmets.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Kunitziwa

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
I agree with buying a new one. its a lot of time and effort to paint. Plus there's the possibility of ruining a nice new helmet.I had an old helmet I tried spray painting, and most of the paint just chipped off and it looks like **** now.

Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:54 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
Personally, I would get a new helmet. They're not that expensive, especially considering the body part they're protecting. You could always try selling your black one on craigslist, or just keeping it as a backup.

1. Get a heat gun. On the low setting, warm up the certification stickers and remove them. Don't get too close and don't get them too hot, or else you'll stretch and/or burn them.

3. Spray the helmet with a few light coats of adhesion promoter (basically, primer for plastic). Let it dry about 15 minutes between coats, or whatever the spray can says.

4. Spray the helmet with several light coats of auto spray paint. Again, light coats, 15 minutes drying time between coats.

5. Spray the helmet with a couple light coats of auto clearcoat. Light coats, 15 minutes drying time, etc.

6. After everything has cured (at least a day, recommend a week), warm up the certification stickers with the heat gun, then re-apply them.

In the end you'll probably end up spending so much on supplies to do the job that it's not even worth it. Especially since spraybomb paint jobs aren't that durable and the solvents in the paint may weaken the plastics. Unless you want to do a custom paint job, but that's more suited to fiberglass goalie masks than player helmets.
HECC sticker (I believe) is made of paper, not a plastic (Like the other 2). It's extremely difficult to take off cleanly, you'll most likely destroy the sticker.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 03:42 PM
AIREAYE

maybe you should try returning the helmet...

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Lario Melieux*

Well I can't return the helmet since I've worn it, I've already removed the hecc sticker bc I thought it looked gay, and today I tried spray painting it with blue glossy paint and it looked like crap. I really couldn't do anything else with it so whatever.

Our team is acha div 3 which is considered a club team I guess. Its only the teams 2nd year and the yearly dues for the team are like $850. Dunno if this is on par for team dues but it definitely has put a dent in the wallet.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 01:33 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
That's ridiculously high, especially if they don't supply any equipment.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lario Melieux View Post

Our team is acha div 3 which is considered a club team I guess. Its only the teams 2nd year and the yearly dues for the team are like $850. Dunno if this is on par for team dues but it definitely has put a dent in the wallet.
$850, ouch.

I pay $200 a year (acha d3 club) and they give use jerseys, practice jerseys, helmets, pant shells, pay for all food and lodging, charter buses to away games, vans to home games and practices, and bottled water for all practices/games.

Then again I pay $40,000 a year in tuition. So it all evens out.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
It voids the certification, chips, and looks like ****. Buy a new helmet.
Agreed ... sometimes we play against a team that has a guy with a painted helmet and they always look awful.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:07 PM
AIREAYE

Sorry to go off topic guys, but this has to do with helmets/modifications and I dont want to start a new thread.

I know the RBK 6K's and 8k's have the option of color inserts. I have a 4K and I know you cant with that, but has anyone tried cutting colored tape/paint and putting that on the helmet?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
I've seen people use electrical tape to black out the gray on 8ks so I'm sure it'd work the other way around.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Kunitziwa

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperstarTreatment View Post
I've seen people use electrical tape to black out the gray on 8ks so I'm sure it'd work the other way around.
ive seen them painted more often then not. I bought a helmet from the Americans equipment sale, and I was actually pretty surprised at how poorly the inserts were painted.

Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post

7. Throw the helmet away, since it will no longer be a certified helmet.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Seriously, your best bet is to buy a new one then ebay the original to try and recoup your losses.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote