HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kessel traded to Toronto (5yrs/$27M)

Old
09-18-2009, 06:06 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Kessel traded to Toronto (5yrs/$27M)

This is the ultimate speculation by Kevin Paul Dupont based on an answer by Peter Chiarelli to a question about a possible three way deal made a Bruins season ticket forum. Dupont kept floating a package of Ryan Callahan,Chris Kreider and #1 pick for Phil Kessel until he realized that was total BS. That was his proposal/wishful thinking for the return on the Kessel.

Quote:
With Burke willing to surrender his pair of first-round picks, he conceivably could flip one of those picks and possibly a prospect to the Rangers for Dubinsky, who last year connected for 13 goals and 41 points for the highly-mediocre Blueshirts. Burke then could turn around and offer Chiarelli the first-rounder and Dubinsky, the 60th pick overall in the 2004 draft, for Kessel.

The Anchorage-born Dubinsky, at 6 feet 1 inch, 210 pounds, is a much sturdier player and has proven more durable than the 5-11, 180-pound Kessel, whose overall game and goal-scoring ability center on speed.

In his two full seasons with the Rangers, Dubinsky has not missed a game, and he has built a reputation as a solid two-way forward who embraces defensive responsibilities. That makes him very much a player who fits the Claude Julien success mold. It also makes him the unKessel. The Bruins, if they could net Dubinsky, would add a top-six forward into their mix and also hold a first-round and possibly a second-round pick for Kessel, whom they drafted No. 5 overall in 2006
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...on+Bruins+news

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 06:09 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
This is the ultimate speculation by Kevin Paul Dupont based on an answer by Peter Chiarelli to a question about a possible three way deal made a Bruins season ticket forum.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...on+Bruins+news
Rather try and get Kessel for ourselves.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 06:15 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Rather try and get Kessel for ourselves.
Playing along with KPD

The Rangers would receive a future #1 pick from Toronto and a possible prospect. The Leafs don't have many prospects. Jiri Tlusty

How does that help the Rangers this season and in future seasons?

Old
09-18-2009, 06:17 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Can't we just leave out Burke and trade Dubi and our 1st for Kessel? Then look to unload Roszival to Columbus or another team that is hurting for D over the coarse of the season because Kessel will be onthe LTIR and not count against the cap until December?

A prospect and a 1st seems to be a step backwards at this point in this organizations development. It has one of the best stables of prospects to date and is developing it's young players well. Some of those younger players (Staal, Dubi, Callahan, Lundqvist, MDZ, Gilroy, etc) are starting to play on the NHL roster (Assuming MDZ and Gilroy make the squad, I think they will) and they need a strong supporting cast to make this team a Cup contender. Trading Dubi to Toronto for a 1st and a prospect seems like a step backwards. Trading Dubi and a 1st to Boston for Kessel is a step forward, imo.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 06:22 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Can't we just leave out Burke and trade Dubi and our 1st for Kessel? Then look to unload Roszival to Columbus or another team that is hurting for D over the coarse of the season because Kessel will be onthe LTIR and not count against the cap until December?

A prospect and a 1st seems to be a step backwards at this point in this organizations development. It has one of the best stables of prospects to date and is developing it's young players well. Some of those younger players (Staal, Dubi, Callahan, Lundqvist, MDZ, Gilroy, etc) are starting to play on the NHL roster (Assuming MDZ and Gilroy make the squad, I think they will) and they need a strong supporting cast to make this team a Cup contender. Trading Dubi to Toronto for a 1st and a prospect seems like a step backwards. Trading Dubi and a 1st to Boston for Kessel is a step forward, imo.
Kessel wants $4.5-$5 million per.

The LTIR only comes into play if the Rangers are at the upper limit and use his money on replacements.

Old
09-18-2009, 06:26 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Dubi is the same player as Kessel. Look at the stats for the first 2 seasons. They are even in favor of Dubi with the plus minus. Thekid wants 2 million less and is known as more of a hustler and better teammate keep the picks and Dubi.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Levitate

Kessel is a much, much, much better goal scorer than Dubinsky.

However, Dubinsky is much better defensively, physically, as a teammate, etc.

Kessel will put up more points than Dubinsky but he's not going to do the other things Dubinsky does. I wouldn't call them the same player

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:27 AM
pld459666

it would have to the the Toronto 1st rounder and even then I'm not sure I do it.

The prospect would have to be one hell of a prospect.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:33 AM
n_a_c

I think this would be a big step back for the Rangers this year and perhaps in the future. However, I also wear optimistic non-objective Ranger fan glasses and think Dubinsky will be a very good second line center for many years with an upside of 70+, even 80+ points with the right line mates.

However, I'm probably overestimating Dubinsky's upside and worth. And Toronto might overpay since they are under massive pressure to improve this year and land Kessel. A great prospect might change my mind. As to the pick - I know top 10 in a deep draft sounds great, but knowing Rangers draft history… I think our chances of landing someone better than Dubinsky seem slim to none.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:36 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Dubi is the same player as Kessel. Look at the stats for the first 2 seasons. They are even in favor of Dubi with the plus minus. Thekid wants 2 million less and is known as more of a hustler and better teammate keep the picks and Dubi.
Dubi and Kessel are not the same type of players at all.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:43 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Victor Stalberg and a first and I'll answer the phone.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:45 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Playing along with KPD

The Rangers would receive a future #1 pick from Toronto and a possible prospect. The Leafs don't have many prospects. Jiri Tlusty

How does that help the Rangers this season and in future seasons?
Kadri scored a beautiful goal off the rush last night for TO against Philly. That kid Kulemin looked quite skilled also.

Maybe Slats would take Stajan (55pts) and a draft pick??

Tlusty is a def

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:49 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Stalberg looked real impressive also last night.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:52 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Kadri scored a beautiful goal off the rush last night for TO against Philly. That kid Kulemin looked quite skilled also.

Maybe Slats would take Stajan (55pts) and a draft pick??

Tlusty is a def
Stajan is a group III after this season.

Kulemin makes more than the Rangers want to pay Dubinsky. The KHL possibility allows exists.

The basis for a new contract with Dubinsky is there and Sather will win that battle by getting Dubinsky locked up in the $2 million range.

Old
09-18-2009, 07:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Your Rangers/Dallas proposal was better and that one was

Old
09-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Dubi and Kessel are not the same type of players at all.
Dubi is going to be better. He is more well rounded and is known as a team guy. Kessel had one season where he broke out his third year. The first 2 years he stats are the same as Dubis. Brandon is or was slated to be the number 1 guy this year with very good wingers his stat would have jumped up also. As far as your correcting me I ment to say they had the same stats at the same point in their careers. Dubi is physical and hit kessal is more naturally gifted.

Old
09-18-2009, 08:01 AM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Dubi is going to be better. He is more well rounded and is known as a team guy. Kessel had one season where he broke out his third year. The first 2 years he stats are the same as Dubis. Brandon is or was slated to be the number 1 guy this year with very good wingers his stat would have jumped up also. As far as your correcting me I ment to say they had the same stats at the same point in their careers. Dubi is physical and hit kessal is more naturally gifted.
kessel is 21 and started playing nhl hockey as an 18 year old. dubinsky came into the league after some seasoning in the minors.

its becoming painful to read your posts.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:09 AM
nyrfan519

Quote:
NO.

I love Dubi and all, but the sky's the limit for Kessel as far as goal/point-scoring goes. It's hard for me to imagine Dubi ever scoring more than 70ish points in a season, and he may not even reach that ever. Kessel certainly can. Just watching a few games of each player in action is enough to see the ridiculous talent level of Kessel. He has a lot more raw skill and scoring touch than Dubi.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
kessel is 21 and started playing nhl hockey as an 18 year old. dubinsky came into the league after some seasoning in the minors.

Painful lol your a joke with the comment. Dubi played one season in the minors. IS that really a huge difference? here is their first 2 season WOW what a huge difference. Painful is how you needed to get personal because people have a different opinion. So tuff with a key board

2007–08 New York Rangers NHL 82 14 26 40 79
2008–09 New York Rangers NHL 82 13 28 41

2006–07 Boston Bruins NHL 70 11 18 29 −12
2007–08 Boston Bruins NHL 82 19 18 37 −6

Old
09-18-2009, 08:23 AM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Painful lol your a joke with the comment. Dubi played one season in the minors. IS that really a huge difference? here is their first 2 season WOW what a huge difference. Painful is how you needed to get personal because people have a different opinion. So tuff with a key board

testicular cancer doesn't show up on the state line, now does it?
also- you're, not your.

dubinsky is a guy who will top out at around 60 points a year. kessel has 40 goal potential. there's a reason he was a top 5 pick.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:45 AM
MadHookUp

Quote:

So you are saying that Dubinsky is going to score close to 40 goals in this third? AWESOME!

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:48 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

any comparison of kessel and dubinsky needs to be in context.

again, kessel is worlds more talented.

hes faster, more creative, more dangerous, more offensive and hes a winger.

dubi is bigger, grittier, more physical, better checker and plays center.

dubi is a prototypical 3rd line centerman. nothing more at this point.

kessel is a proven sniper.

how are they in any way alike ? and how can anyone prefer a 3rd line 2 way player, who really proven nothing so far other than he can have back to back 40 point seasons, over a guy with filthy skills like kessel?

if there was someway for us to get phil kessel by moving dubinsky, you get it done.

period.

i would prefer marc savard for this team right now over kessel though to be honest.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:51 AM
coolbean04

I also like to point out that Kessel is still pretty much younger now than when Dubi came into the league two years ago.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Fletch

Dagoon...

apples to apples, Kessel scored 36 goals last season and Dubi scored 41 points. I think the comparison should end right there, even though it could go on to state that Kessel is still 18 months younger than Dubi and I have more confidence saying that Kessel could become a steady 30 goal scorer than I have in saying Dubi will be a steady 60 point guy.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post

Kessel is a sniper, yes, however he is not as good at carrying the puck, stickhandling (loses the puck too often), passing, defensively as Dubinsky is.

Still, 36 goals against 20-something goals and 30-40 assists gives the upper hand to Kessel, in my humble opinion. I think Dubinsky, 2nd. rounder and a top prospect would get a trade done, not that it is realistic, just fine speculation on message boards.

Besides, I was wondering when the Kessel for Dubinsky or vice versa rumors started floating, before the first post about it appeared yesterday, two restricted agents

Reader is offline   Reply With Quote