HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your Most Memorable Lightning Moments

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear The Flash

vCash: 356
Your Most Memorable Lightning Moments

On my way home from work I was talking with someone who noticed my lightning hat and we started talking hockey and some of our favorite times. It made me remember some of my most memorable memories, for instance...

My first Lightning game I saw live was during the Jan 2, 1996. Flames won 10-0 but still a good memory in hindsight as any first live NHL game is. Lightning Make the playoffs for the first time that year.

March 21 97. 2nd lightning game my best friend and I move from our nosebleed seats to just behind the net in the lower bowl. A Lightning point shot off a face off while my friend and I were watching a video on the jumbotron almost results in my friend getting hit by a puck. Only an inch or two higher and he is singing soprano for the rest of his life.
Lightning win in OT.

Dec 14 2002 while at college in the city of Grand Prairie (which is a 3 hour drive from Edmonton) I convince a few of my friends (who are oiler fans) to take a weekend trip to Edmonton for the Lighting game. Lightning lose 2-1 but was still fun going on the road trip.

Jan 24, 2004. Hear from friend who works at the saddle dome the Stanley cup will be in the building that night during the lightning game. I show up early and get my picture taken with it. All the while flames fans tell me I am “disgracing the cup” and that “that is as close as that jersey will ever get” I reply with a coy “oh this is just a taste of things to come” Lightning win 6-2 Marty with the hattie.

May 31, 2004 after my boss who had given round 2 and 3 tickets to the other 2 mangers stiffs me on going to the finals because he would rather sell them on eBay. (He had literally given the other 2 managers the tickets no cost he knew me, the third manager of the store was a hardcore Lightning fan, and I offered to pay but he was a money grubbing a-hole and thought he would get more money on e-bay) the guy I mentioned before who worked at the dome gave me his ticket so I could at least see one game. (He went to game 3 and said if there was a game 6 he would want that as well. I could not argue) I watched as the lightning tie the series at 2 in a 1-0 win.

Of course June 7th goes without saying

During the lockout I go to a Calgary Hitmen game (WHL) and get shown on the jumbotron wearing my lightning jersey. The sound of 8000+ booing at you is quite the sound. Now I kind of know how some NHL players feel.

March 1st 2009
Convinced my buddy that since this would be the first game at the we watched at the saddle dome since the cupfinals (we missed the previous game due to selling out in minutes) he should wear a lightning jersey. he agrees only if i wear a flames jersey we compromise by wearing both as well as our wives. we arrive all wearing lightning jerseys over flames jerseys. throughout the game when the lightning score we all cheer. flames finally score and all of us (my friend and our wives.) take off the lightning jerseys to reveal the flames jerseys and cheer. confused fans everywhere. Lightning score jerseys go back on and cheer. more confusion. this continues the whole game. final score, lightning win 8-6 some of the most fun I have ever had.

So what are some of your Lightning memories?

Last edited by Xenophobia Catalyst: 09-17-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old
09-17-2009, 06:36 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
My first game was October 23rd 1993 vs Toronto which they lost 2-0. I still have the ticket stub.

6/7/04 obviously

Before I had internet or cable I found out the Lightning drafted Lecavalier from a Fox Baseball broadcast, I wanted to trade down for Stuart.

Old
09-17-2009, 07:29 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CumulonimbusCatalyst View Post
During the lockout I go to a Calgary Hitmen game (WHL) and get shown on the jumbotron wearing my lightning jersey. The sound of 8000+ booing at you is quite the sound. Now I kind of know how some NHL players feel.
****ing epic. YOUR TEARS FEED ME, CALGARY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Before I had internet or cable I found out the Lightning drafted Lecavalier from a Fox Baseball broadcast, I wanted to trade down for Stuart.

Old
09-17-2009, 07:33 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
****ing epic. YOUR TEARS FEED ME, CALGARY!

I'm a sucker for defensemen.

A forward has never been my favorite player, it's always been either a goalie (Puppa only really) or a defenseman like Hamrlik, Cross, SOB, Meszaros, etc.

Old
09-17-2009, 07:36 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I'm a sucker for defensemen.

A forward has never been my favorite player, it's always been either a goalie (Puppa only really) or a defenseman like Hamrlik, Cross, SOB, Meszaros, etc.
Understandable... a great defenseman defines a team.

Thats why I have my mancrushes set to Hedman and Smaby.

Old
09-17-2009, 07:54 PM
gobolt7

Everyone here will obviously, and rightfully say 6/7/2004. So, with that being said, I will add another day that is somewhat underrated to me. 6/5/04. Facing elimination, with all of Canada ready to party at our expense, to see Marty roof that puck was something that I will never forget. Then after litterally waking up all my neighbors, realizing that less then 48 hours later I would see the Stanley Cup skated on our ice one way or the other. That was the 2nd greatest feeling I have ever had as a fan of this game.

Old
09-17-2009, 10:00 PM
matt1

Probably my 2 favorite memories are Andre Roy going crazy in Phili two years ago when they kept showing hin getting hit by Cote, and the second is when Dingman slid into Lehtnon right after he'd been hurt for 80% of the season n Bob Hartley calling Dinger the worst 3 minute player in the NHL

Old
09-17-2009, 10:28 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
Everyone here will obviously, and rightfully say 6/7/2004. So, with that being said, I will add another day that is somewhat underrated to me. 6/5/04. Facing elimination, with all of Canada ready to party at our expense, to see Marty roof that puck was something that I will never forget. Then after litterally waking up all my neighbors, realizing that less then 48 hours later I would see the Stanley Cup skated on our ice one way or the other. That was the 2nd greatest feeling I have ever had as a fan of this game.
I remember watching that game and calling my father, and he was in the bathroom when it happened and he thought they were showing a replay of a goal. I freaked the **** out when Marty buried that thing. What a night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
Probably my 2 favorite memories are Andre Roy going crazy in Phili two years ago when they kept showing hin getting hit by Cote, and the second is when Dingman slid into Lehtnon right after he'd been hurt for 80% of the season n Bob Hartley calling Dinger the worst 3 minute player in the NHL
Haha, Dingman laughs about that, i'm sure. I'll have to ask him next time I see him.

Old
09-17-2009, 10:40 PM
brymel
HFBoards Sponsor

Stanley Cup Finals, game 6...my neighbor's were having a graduation party for their daughter. One of her friends was from Calgary, and he and I kept sneaking up to my house to watch the game. My friend's son erroneously told him that Calgary had won that game, so he flies over to my house....to rub my nose in it. To which I replied..."I'm sorry....Lord Stanley's Cup has left the building." He didn't believe me until I pulled him in to see the game recap. Victory was so sweet that day!

Old
09-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Hockeyfan02

Fuzzy with some of these:

Game 3 in 1996 against Philly. Seeing a ton of people leaving the Thunderdome with over a mintue left, then the Lightning tied it to send it to OT. Selivanov wins it in OT. Obviously my first playoff game and it was awesome.

Random game against Boston in the early 2000's. I had stuff to do so I really didn't want to go, but I went anyway with my dad. We left halfway through the 2nd because it was 7 or 8 to 0. It was bad...really bad.

Game against Colorado in 2003. The Avs were still a top dog at the time and the Lightning were still getting their first taste of success. Avs were on them early and took a 3-0 lead. Lightning stormed back(granted it was on Aebischer) and won the game 4-3. It was an awesome game to go to and leaving the game I thought we got a pretty good group here.

Obviously the 04 playoff run, we could all go on for hours about that.

Haven't been to as many games post-lockout since I was at UF.

Old
09-17-2009, 11:05 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
Fuzzy with some of these:

Game 3 in 1996 against Philly. Seeing a ton of people leaving the Thunderdome with over a mintue left, then the Lightning tied it to send it to OT. Selivanov wins it in OT. Obviously my first playoff game and it was awesome.

Random game against Boston in the early 2000's. I had stuff to do so I really didn't want to go, but I went anyway with my dad. We left halfway through the 2nd because it was 7 or 8 to 0. It was bad...really bad.

Game against Colorado in 2003. The Avs were still a top dog at the time and the Lightning were still getting their first taste of success. Avs were on them early and took a 3-0 lead. Lightning stormed back(granted it was on Aebischer) and won the game 4-3. It was an awesome game to go to and leaving the game I thought we got a pretty good group here.

Obviously the 04 playoff run, we could all go on for hours about that.

Haven't been to as many games post-lockout since I was at UF.
That was my first playoff game too!!!

Old
09-18-2009, 02:12 AM
Bolt32

Game 6 SCF I was at a friends house, were watching the Game in his room, his mother watching the same game in the living room. Game goes to OT and we score to bring it to seven games. We jump out of our seats and hall ass down the hall way screaming at the top of our lungs, his mother tells us to **** and then because of the 3 or 4 second delay between games from his room to the living room she watches the goal go in and starts screaming at the top of her lungs. That was great times

Ramo's first start, I was excited but nervous and pretty much scavanged the money up so me and my cousin could watch the game at the arena, and he was totally lights out that game. I remember thinking holy ****....we finally found a goaltender. To bad he couldn't keep it going.......

Old
09-18-2009, 06:49 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

My wife's birthday was smack in the middle of the 2004 playoffs and she wanted tickets to the first game of every playoff series. So we went to game 1 against the Isles, Habs and Flyers. A win every time, perfection!

For game 1 of the SCF finals, I was too slow on the draw for Ticketmaster and no way I was paying a scalper, so I bought tickets for game 2 and told her it would have to be good enough. She was pissed for days. Of course as we all know, they lost the 1st one and won the 2nd. I was king for a long time after that These were the first playoff games for either of us, it was so awesome.

The next game we went to (stupid damn lockout) was when they raised the banner. Gave me chills.

Old
09-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Maria

I became a fan out of pure luck, I remember seeing a newspaper in my ceramics class in HS, it was a preview of the Montreal series, (I think thats one of the biggest reasons I like Vinny so much) I decided to watch the game and see what the big deal was, its been five years now and I love the game and the team even more.

Game 6 of the finals I was watching the game by myself, my whole family was downstairs watching boxing, I started to fall sleep during the end of the first overtime, I was sitting at the edge of my bed, when Marty scored it woke me up and I fell out of the bed, I started screaming like a maniac.

Game 7 I didn't have tickets, so I went with my sister, my brother and some friends to watch the game outside of the forum, we got there pretty early, it looked like it was going to rain that day, there was some thunder and lightning but it did not rain.
On the screen we were able to watch the game, but the screen didn't show the scoresheet and of course we couldn't see how much time was left.

A guy next to me had a radio, he was like our play by play guy at that moment, he was telling all of us how much time was left, the last time I heard him talk he said two minutes left, after that it got way too loud and i couldn't hear a damn thing.Those 2 min were eternal, it was tourture, but then of course the end result was amazing, the atmosphere outside was great, one of the best nights of my life.

Closed Thread