HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

9/17 Kings v. Sharks POST GAME thoughts and tidbits

Old
09-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Pucknut50

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
....and we should take the word of an internet message board poster over an NHL coach when it comes to evaluating hockey players! HA HA!
Sure the great thing about the internet message board is we have no accountability and can say whatever we want. If were wrong we only have certain guys on the board willing to look back at old messages to prove you were wrong. You know the same guys who point out spelling errors.

I was at the game. Campbell did not impress me nor did I think he was bad. It was a typical 1st week preseason game up and down getting coverages straight, making sure you backcheck, and getting the puck out of the defensive zone without consideration for attack. I would only base opinions on the last 2 preseason games to get an idea of the team.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
You know the same guys who point out spelling errors.
People who point out spelling errors are the worst. I picture everyone of those people as someone who can't stand to look themselves in the mirror and get their positive reinforcement by demeaning others by taking the role of second grade spelling teacher.

Boba Fettuccine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Just a question, but did you go and watch the game? Just asking.
No, but from the posts on this thread it is hard for me to believe that all of the negative comments made were imagined.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
People who point out spelling errors are the worst. I picture everyone of those people as someone who can't stand to look themselves in the mirror and get their positive reinforcement by demeaning others by taking the role of second grade spelling teacher.
I do not entirely agree with that. For some errors it is just hitting the wrong key, which is understandable. But for some words it is much better that the person posting actually check how the word is spelled before they write it. Perhaps they should choose a different word. With spell check on many browsers there really isn't any excuse to not at least make an effort to spell words correctly.

Old
09-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
....and we should take the word of an internet message board poster over an NHL coach when it comes to evaluating hockey players! HA HA!
Yes, because if all NHL coaches were that good they would never need to fear losing their jobs.

Old
09-18-2009, 12:37 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
Actually one thing you can say for this Murray, compared to the previous Murray, is that he doesn't seem to have a big hard-on for untalented players when it comes to ice time/crunch time.
Not to mention it's the pre-season and he's trying to evaluate talent. The decisions he makes as to who is on the ice and when are going to be different when you're in talent evaluation mode. You can't equate decisions made in the pre-season to decisions made in the regular season.

- T

Last edited by TonySCV: 09-18-2009 at 01:20 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:49 PM
The Big Giant Head

my thoughts on last nights game...

first off they only sold about 6500 tickets for the game and i think even less people showed up. Some sections were nearly completely vacant...but thats besides the point.

Game overall was pretty boring and looked sloppy on both sides, very amateur to put it bluntly (as it should have considering each team only had a handful of vets playing).

The only players that stood out to me are as follow:

Wayne Simmonds: excellent game, even in pre-season he gives 100% which i cant say about everyone. He was hitting, skating, and passing. in my opinion he was the strongest kings player all night.

Dustin Brown: had a pretty nice goal in the last 10secs, which was exciting. Brown was throwing his body around like usual and had several good attempts throughout the night although it seemed he was only playing maybe 80-90% out there.

Alex Frolov: received first star of the night. He played well overall but wasn't much of a factor in the game i didn't think.

Jonathan Quick: Outstanding. Like usual had fantastic control of his rebounds and made some pretty good looking saves through out the night. He's probably one of the biggest reasons the kings were in the game.

Jack Johnson and Drew Doughty: Both played ok, Doughty gave up the puck in our own zone which almost resulted in a goal but other than that nothing notable. Other than Jack getting his ass handed to him end of the second period he played well also. He look like a forward int he first period the way he was attacking the net, which i really liked seeing out of him. he has the hands, speed and skill for it. This very well can be a breakout year for him.

Andrei Loktionov Looked nervous most of the night. He seemed eager to pass the puck nearly as soon as he got it. If last night was anything to measure his game by then i think he still has a couple years of minor league play in store for him.

Brayden Schenn Nothing to report, did nothing all night and i actually forgot he was even on the roster at times.

Overall wasn't an impressive game, in fact the best part was when the Zamboni got stuck on the rink while they were resurfacing the ice for the shootout. it was obviously user error as it took someone less than 10secs to get him going again once he got out there. Obviously cant expect to much from preseason considering it was nearly an all rookie roster but unfortunately none of those rookies seemed to shine for me. Everyone else that i didnt mention didnt warrant any special attention.

Last edited by The Big Giant Head: 09-18-2009 at 01:50 PM.
The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:53 PM
The Big Giant Head

Also, does anyone know what the hell was going on with the ice girls coming on the rink after every other play it seemed like to shovel the show?? Was the ice bad last night or what? i was actually getting sick of seeing them go out there as it was killing the flow of the game.

Old
09-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
No, but from the posts on this thread it is hard for me to believe that all of the negative comments made were imagined.
You mean all of one comment from bland about how he played bad last night? Wow, one whole comment.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:02 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

LOL! According to the yahoo boxscore Setoguchi had all 26 shots for the Sharks

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
LOL! According to the yahoo boxscore Setoguchi had all 26 shots for the Sharks
And Doughty had all 25 for the Kings.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
And Doughty had all 25 for the Kings.
So you are saying that Frolov completely ignored our requests/pleas for him to shoot more?

Boba Fettuccine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
You mean all of one comment from bland about how he played bad last night? Wow, one whole comment.
Yep.....maybe you missed the bad comments about him from the GDT....

Old
09-18-2009, 01:14 PM
regulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
Also, does anyone know what the hell was going on with the ice girls coming on the rink after every other play it seemed like to shovel the show?? Was the ice bad last night or what? i was actually getting sick of seeing them go out there as it was killing the flow of the game.
Just radio timeouts for advertising. No conspiracy here.

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:15 PM
SC2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars H View Post
Giving a prospect a handful of post-game attaboys to boost his confidence before he gets sent back down to the minors or juniors or wherever to continue his development is a reason Terry Murray is not the right coach for the team?
Exactly. You can't rip into a kid thru the press. Murray knows what he's doing.

Some people can't read between the lines.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:17 PM
SC2008

Quote:

first off they only sold about 6500 tickets for the game and i think even less people showed up. Some sections were nearly completely vacant...but thats besides the point.

Game overall was pretty boring and looked sloppy on both sides, very amateur to put it bluntly (as it should have considering each team only had a handful of vets playing).

Wayne Simmonds: excellent game, even in pre-season he gives 100% which i cant say about everyone. He was hitting, skating, and passing. in my opinion he was the strongest kings player all night.

Dustin Brown: had a pretty nice goal in the last 10secs, which was exciting. Brown was throwing his body around like usual and had several good attempts throughout the night although it seemed he was only playing maybe 80-90% out there.

Alex Frolov: received first star of the night. He played well overall but wasn't much of a factor in the game i didn't think.

Jonathan Quick: Outstanding. Like usual had fantastic control of his rebounds and maybe some pretty good looking saves through out the night. He's probably one of the biggest reasons the kings were in the game.

Jack Johnson and Drew Doughty: Both played ok, Doughty gave up the puck in our own zone which almost resulted in a goal but other than that nothing notable. Other than Jack getting his ass handed to him end of the second period he played well also. He look like a forward int he first period the way he was attacking the net, which i really liked seeing out of him. he has the hands, speed and skill for it. This very well can be a breakout year for him.

Andrei Loktionov Looked nervous most of the night. He seemed eager to pass the puck nearly as soon as he got it. If last night was anything to measure his game by then i think he still has a couple years of minor league play in store for him.

Brayden Schenn Nothing to report, did nothing all night and i actually forgot he was even on the roster at times.

Overall wasn't an impressive game, in fact the best part was when the Zamboni got stuck on the rink while they were resurfacing the ice for the shootout. it was obviously user error as it took someone less than 10secs to get him going again once he got out there. Obviously cant expect to much from preseason considering it was nearly an all rookie roster but unfortunately none of those rookies seemed to shine for me. Everyone else that i didnt mention didnt warrant any special attention.
Crazy how many regulars you had in the game--not to mention 2 pre-season games under the belt to warm up--and still lose.

Not only did the Sharks sit out most of their top players, but their top prospects as well. No Couture, No Petrecki.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2008 View Post
Crazy how many regulars you had in the game--not to mention 2 pre-season games under the belt to warm up--and still lose.

Not only did the Sharks sit out most of their top players, but their top prospects as well. No Couture, No Petrecki.
Actually only 1 game....it was a split squad.

Old
09-18-2009, 01:19 PM
not tellin*

Quote:

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:48 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:

mmmm...ok

its preseason...it means absolutely nothing. if it were the final rosters then i could understand you coming in here and bragging but 2 squads full of prospects that are learning to work together in a scrimmage isnt something to brag about. And if you'd actually seen the game last night i doubt you would be in here talking, both teams looked terrible.

Old
09-18-2009, 01:49 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:

That's gotta be the dumbest post I've ever read......

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:59 PM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

But seriously, the context of Murray's quote must be taken into consideration. He's comparing Campbell's efforts to last year. He's complimenting the aspects he's pleased with. Note he didn't offer praise for the things Campbell did wrong.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:10 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
But seriously, the context of Murray's quote must be taken into consideration. He's comparing Campbell's efforts to last year. He's complimenting the aspects he's pleased with. Note he didn't offer praise for the things Campbell did wrong.
I just watched Murray's post game video and I came in here to post the same thing. From this thread, I thought Murray called out Campbell for his excellent play, but in fact was specifically asked about Campbell. Is he supposed to answer the question with "Yeah, the kid was terrible tonight and needs to be sent down right away?" He pointed out the things he did right, and compared him to his play from last year. Murray saw an improvement with him (which is kinda scary if he played as bad as you guys say he did). They're privately talk to Campbell before sending him down, telling him what he did right and what he did wrong. You can hang a kid in training camp to the media.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:17 PM
lakings41

Quote:

Jonathan Quick: Outstanding. Like usual had fantastic control of his rebounds and made some pretty good looking saves through out the night. He's probably one of the biggest reasons the kings were in the game.

We must have shown up to two different games. Agreed about the boring play although it was completely based off of special teams.

Wayne Simmonds I can agree on. He looked great out there.

Distant Brown I thought was a joke the whole night. He still looks like he did the last forty games of the last season. I'll get ripped to shreds on this board for this but he needs that "C" stripped so he can get back to his original mode. I don't know if it's the responsibilty thing? I also knew he went thru some stuff with his kid last season and a supposed injury and everybody used that as a pass. But he went to the WC's and had a really good tournament. He will continue to frustrate most on this board if he keeps doing his one move down the wing and shoots. He never looks for a teammate and when he passes the biscuit it's at a 140mph. I'm just hoping he hasn't peeked. Last night although he scored he looked completely disinterested. I know it's pre-season but he needs to set the tone for his teammates in my book. On a side note this guy is one of my favorite players. I just don't know where his head is at.

Alexander FrolovAlways amazing in my book and did the typical business. Why he's looked at with a magnifying glass and other players getting a pass is beyond me. Although he was set-up numerous times by Lokti but didn't finish as he was probably in amazement as to how every pass got through lanes.

Doughty and JJAwesome in my book. I want these guys here for the next 10-15 years. JJ getting his ass handed to him was a bit exaggerated. The other guy threw about fifty and landed maybe two to three. Heavy yes but JJ was fine and laughed it off.

QuickLooked solid.

Igor Loktionov Best player hands down all night. Can easily play at this level in my book. Not scared and has a great head for the game. Amazing playmaker as well. Not as complete as Moller but comparable in size and has the nod on the offensive side of the puck.

Oscar MollerLooked great as well.

Brayden SchennThis kid is going to be sick. All I can say is he stood out to me all night. He makes things happen.

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:39 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings41 View Post
Distant Brown I thought was a joke the whole night. He still looks like he did the last forty games of the last season. I'll get ripped to shreds on this board for this but he needs that "C" stripped so he can get back to his original mode. I don't know if it's the responsibilty thing? I also knew he went thru some stuff with his kid last season and a supposed injury and everybody used that as a pass. But he went to the WC's and had a really good tournament. He will continue to frustrate most on this board if he keeps doing his one move down the wing and shoots. He never looks for a teammate and when he passes the biscuit it's at a 140mph. I'm just hoping he hasn't peeked. Last night although he scored he looked completely disinterested. I know it's pre-season but he needs to set the tone for his teammates in my book. On a side note this guy is one of my favorite players. I just don't know where his head is at.
I'm glad someone finally sees what I'm seeing. The dude is a physically specimen, but he just doesn't understand hockey.

I'm wiling to bet that Wayne Simmonds will surpass Dustin Brown on the depth chart in 2 years. Hell, Purcell will probably do it this year.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:12 PM
bland

Quote:
Campbell has no feel for the puck - believe me, I was FAR from the only one cringing watchng him handle the puck from the point - he missed the net by a good 6 feet from inside the circles.

As far as his play in his own zone, there is nothing much to report - he was out-played by his partner, Mullen, for most of the night.

I don't give a damn what Murray says - he has a multitude of reasons for not coming out and stating what he believes is the truth. The fact was that neither Campbell or Segal performed well, even compared to the rest of the younger roster.

Schenn and Clifford are going to be very, very good, very quickly. I can't recall the last time I saw a young player embrace and perform his role so well in a pre-season game like Clifford did last night - far more mobile and with better hands than I expected too

bland is online now   Reply With Quote