HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official "Danny Boy" Thread

View Poll Results: What do you wish?
I hope he remains a Flyer, despite his contract. 59 55.66%
I hope Holmgren trades him ASAP. 47 44.34%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-18-2009, 12:09 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
We need Briere now that Knuble and Lupul are gone. As for the future I'm not sure. Depends if he can still produce as he ages. He's starting to get old for a hockey player. At this point though he has more value to the team then Gagne in terms of point production and eventually we're going to have to let one of our pricey forwards go.
I dont want Briere going anywhere, however, if the decision comes down to either him or Gagne being moved, I much rather keep Gagne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I really feel for briere. He has done nothing but lace them up and give the team 100% and constantly gets ****ted on by our fans. Hell he even let his injury linger a little longer so we could sort out our cap to let him play. He managed 70 points in his first season with 13 different linemates. He was even booed at our home ground then.

Then he is constantly under scruitiny because he signed for less money to help the flyers regain their position at the top of the tree. If Richards maxed out as a 40 point player, nothing would of been said above briere

I really want to see Danny do well. I want to see him lifting that cup above his head because of all the **** our fans have put him through in two seasons.
I agree....but I knew he would get **** from a lot of the fans here cause he is purely a finesse player, we havent had many of them here and it isnt what the fans in this city really like. However, you need some of these guys as well.

Remember all the Lindros years when we kept complaing "We have so much grit on this team, we need a pure sniper" We get a player like that, and people complain....Oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Been proven wrong...
True, but do we really care about that?? Its not our money

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
yeah, but they did offer him more per year. but at his age the 52 is better
Actually, the taxes are significantly better down here than in Montreal...so even on top of the gross figure, what he ends up taking home at the end of the day is more on top of that down here.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:13 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Actually, the taxes are significantly better down here than in Montreal...so even on top of the gross figure, what he ends up taking home at the end of the day is more on top of that down here.
I'd wager he gets a lot less endorsement money here though than he would have gotten there.

Can play it either way.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:24 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'd wager he gets a lot less endorsement money here though than he would have gotten there.

Can play it either way.
Outside of the elite handful, do NHLers get that much endorsement money? It's an honest question. I've never heard anything concrete on the subject.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Jester

Quote:

Can play it either way.
I doubt endorsements are that significant in either place. The tax difference is quite significant.

Old
09-18-2009, 03:04 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
I doubt endorsements are that significant in either place. The tax difference is quite significant.
A French-Canadian star playing in Montreal for pretty much the first time since Roy left? You don't think he'd be rolling up to his neck in local money?

Old
09-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Jester

Quote:
A French-Canadian star playing in Montreal for pretty much the first time since Roy left? You don't think he'd be rolling up to his neck in local money?
I think you're overestimating how much local money is going to go to an athlete in endorsements. The real money in endorsements is national.

The difference in taxes alone is millions of dollars over the course of his contract, as I recall; as Montreal has pretty steep taxation.

Playing in Philly would have little to no impact on equipment endorsements and the like that he would receive in either place.

Old
09-18-2009, 03:13 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
I think you're overestimating how much local money is going to go to an athlete in endorsements. The real money in endorsements is national.

The difference in taxes alone is millions of dollars over the course of his contract, as I recall; as Montreal has pretty steep taxation.

Playing in Philly would have little to no impact on equipment endorsements and the like that he would receive in either place.
I wouldn't completely discount US taxes. I mean, sure their middle class citizens get taxed harder than we do, but our top 5% are taxed pretty damn hard, I mean, read Robert Samuelson.

I'm not totally sure how much more Briere would be taxed in Canada. The reality is that rich people in the US do pay pretty high taxes while a lot of the middle and upper middle class gets away with paying a lot less, less than they should pay to be honest.

Until you show up documentation showing how much harder Briere would be taxed, I'm not going to take it for gospel truth.

Old
09-18-2009, 03:48 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
I wouldn't completely discount US taxes. I mean, sure their middle class citizens get taxed harder than we do, but our top 5% are taxed pretty damn hard, I mean, read Robert Samuelson.

I'm not totally sure how much more Briere would be taxed in Canada. The reality is that rich people in the US do pay pretty high taxes while a lot of the middle and upper middle class gets away with paying a lot less, less than they should pay to be honest.

Until you show up documentation showing how much harder Briere would be taxed, I'm not going to take it for gospel truth.
This is what I could dig up:

Quebec Tax Rates:
http://www.taxtips.ca/taxrates/qc.htm
Seems to be 48.22% for making over $126,264

US Tax Rates:
http://www.moneybluebook.com/2009-fe...irs-tax-rates/
Seems to be 35% for making over $372,950

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Jester

Quote:

You can dig yourself. The upper crust has gotten a significant break in the US over the past 8 years (that might be changing). I looked it up a while ago and it was quite significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
This is what I could dig up:

Quebec Tax Rates:
http://www.taxtips.ca/taxrates/qc.htm
Seems to be 48.22% for making over $126,264

US Tax Rates:
http://www.moneybluebook.com/2009-fe...irs-tax-rates/
Seems to be 35% for making over $372,950
Without going through it, you would have to look at the combination of federal/local for Briere living in south jersey. On top of that, to complicate matters athletes are taxed based on where they are playing games as well...so they end up getting taxed based on every stadium's local taxes...so, in the end, it's a complete mess.

I do know that the tax situation in Montreal is one of the problems Montreal has had signing guys.

Old
09-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
You can dig yourself. The upper crust has gotten a significant break in the US over the past 8 years (that might be changing). I looked it up a while ago and it was quite significant.

Without going through it, you would have to look at the combination of federal/local for Briere living in south jersey. On top of that, to complicate matters athletes are taxed based on where they are playing games as well...so they end up getting taxed based on every stadium's local taxes...so, in the end, it's a complete mess.

I do know that the tax situation in Montreal is one of the problems Montreal has had signing guys.
I'm jumping in here at the end, so please forgive me if his has already been brought up... One of the advantages of living and practicing in NJ is not being responsible for City and local Taxes when there is non home game. Also, the agreement between the states allows for any out of state taxes to be applied as credit against NJ State Tax -- as long as it is one tax per earned dollar; no double dipping credits -- Philadelphia Players living and practicing in NJ (Flyers) save quite a sum on their taxes.

Lately, since the acquisition of Forsberg, there has been a trend for the younger or trendier single players to live in the City... I can only assume that players of that pay class are now weighing the trade off of living in the City vs State and Local Tax savings. As the contracts keep rising, and write off become available through creative accountants and outside businesses, it may not be worth enduring the tranquil Garden State setting rather than the trendier City environment.

Disclaimer: As it is surely evident, I am not a tax expert... I am going by the limited tax knowledge that I possess, and from a lower bracket position.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
I'm jumping in here at the end, so please forgive me if his has already been brought up... One of the advantages of living and practicing in NJ is not being responsible for City and local Taxes when there is non home game. Also, the agreement between the states allows for any out of state taxes to be applied as credit against NJ State Tax -- as long as it is one tax per earned dollar; no double dipping credits -- Philadelphia Players living and practicing in NJ (Flyers) save quite a sum on their taxes.

Lately, since the acquisition of Forsberg, there has been a trend for the younger or trendier single players to live in the City... I can only assume that players of that pay class are now weighing the trade off of living in the City vs State and Local Tax savings. As the contracts keep rising, and write off become available through creative accountants and outside businesses, it may not be worth enduring the tranquil Garden State setting rather than the trendier City environment.

Disclaimer: As it is surely evident, I am not a tax expert... I am going by the limited tax knowledge that I possess, and from a lower bracket position.
Well, even independent of taxation, there are lots of compelling reasons to live in south jersey if you're playing for the Flyers (or the other teams for that matter). Between suburban environment, to school districts...you're not going to want to live in Center City most likely if you're 30 and raising kids with that kind of $$$. 20-something with no kids, it makes a lot of sense to live in the city.

I know Recchi and Leclair were living out on the main line when they were here for the school districts.

Obviously for the Flyers, they have the added bonus of smaller commute to and from practice.

Old
09-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Well, even independent of taxation, there are lots of compelling reasons to live in south jersey if you're playing for the Flyers (or the other teams for that matter). Between suburban environment, to school districts...you're not going to want to live in Center City most likely if you're 30 and raising kids with that kind of $$$. 20-something with no kids, it makes a lot of sense to live in the city.

I know Recchi and Leclair were living out on the main line when they were here for the school districts.

Obviously for the Flyers, they have the added bonus of smaller commute to and from practice.
I agree with all that... BUT, I thought Recchi was living in Haddonfield -- almost 100% certain -- and that's where he was planning on retiring at... had things been different and he stayed in O&B. Maybe he was living in the ML at some point.

Even with the school districts, that is a long commute for practices... The schools could be THAT much better could they?

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote