HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Michael F'in Nylander Thread (Headed to Dynamo Minsk?)

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
That, and this is the NHL. Everyone covets ice time, and no one is going to balk at playing out of his supposed natural position. Many of these guys can be swapped around. Centers can play wing, if it results in more ice time. That is as true for Nylander and Morrison at the top end, as it is for Aucoin at the bottom end. Want me to play? I'll play anywhere, coach. Put me in.

Last edited by Drake1588: 09-15-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old
09-15-2009, 01:01 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Yep. Makes no sense whatsoever to dump Morrison.

Old
09-15-2009, 01:24 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'll go on record as saying Morrisonn would be dumped before Morrison.

Old
09-15-2009, 01:35 PM
sk84fun_dc

I made reference to the Vrbata situation the other day and I believe I included a link to one of the TB write-ups about the situation. IMO, there is a difference in the situations as it relates to the salary aspect, not the cap hit.

There is no cap hit if Nylander goes to Europe on a loan, but there would be the salary obligation. The obligation can be offset by the European team agreeing to pay a portion of the salary. Then, there would also be the issue as to whether the loan only covered this season or both seasons of the contract. Of course, as has been noted many times, a loan requires Nylander's consent and it does require NHL waivers and then the loan assignment.

Regarding Vrbata, all the reports I saw were that there was no salary paid out in addition to no cap hit. Whatever agreement Vrbata and Lawton (TB) made after Vrbata stated he wanted to head back to the Cz Rep for the rest of the season, the prorated salary for the remainder of the season did not have to be paid by the TBL. This was due to the agreement between the 2 sides and Vrbata requesting to leave the team. Also, the agreement was for only the 1 year of a multiyear contract.

I agree it looks like Nylander will play in the preseason, best way to showcase him around the NHL. Has anyone said he would not play since camp opened and he reported and is on the ice with the team?

IMO, both sides will want to see if they can find a trading partner in the NHL, even with the NMC and the big cap hit. From the coverage we have gotten, as I have said before, I assume Nylander wants to play out the NHL possibilities before heading to Europe, if he heads to Europe at all. If another NHL team does not materialize, who knows what happens, but a loan to a SEL or KHL still team seems probable. And yes, he is saying all the right things to keep things clear from his side that he reported, is showing up and is ready to play.

Old
09-15-2009, 02:17 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Wha?

Morrison has looked fine with Semin to this point. Why would they dump him? Because Nylander has played ok to this point? They both fit under the cap...why would they just release him? No sense in that one aside from trowing odd a random doom and gloom message.
Oh Dude, All I am saying is this Nylander mess will not going quietly and that a worst case scenario has Nylander playing like a circling allstar and Morrisson so lost he can't find his plate with his fork. I didnt say this was happening. I just was thinking I wouldnt be surprised if another worst case scenario wasn't coming here.

BTW....Nylander can not play the wing. He has no skills for that. Put him there and it will be ugly.

Old
09-15-2009, 02:45 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
While this season's buyout window is closed, that is not true where next season is concerned. There is reduced benefit, to be sure, but there is some benefit to buying him out next summer just the same. The benefit is that his $4.875M cap hit drops to $2.875M in the final season under which he would have been under contract, followed by a $1M cap hit the following season. Per sk8's sticky:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=19803269&postcount=7
Yes, but to clarify my point that's an infinitely worse situation capwise than simply waiving him. That wasn't an option this season, obviously, so a buyout might have meant something even if it would have hurt. Next season waivers are an option, and a buyout just plain stinks capwise. A buyout would have been a stupid but possibly justifiable action this summer. Next summer that probably isn't the case, not when he has no NMC and Ted would probably be spending less on the roster either way.

I realize there are issues about how willing the team would be to send him to the minors, but at this point if they're trying to ship him off to Europe then the damage may already be done in that respect. The payroll will be lower either way if the cap is going down, and there's probably a decent chance the team's finances don't suffer as much as the league average, which means saving 1 mil while hurting the cap situation doesn't seem like a good business proposition.

Old
09-15-2009, 02:58 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I made reference to the Vrbata situation the other day and I believe I included a link to one of the TB write-ups about the situation. IMO, there is a difference in the situations as it relates to the salary aspect, not the cap hit.

There is no cap hit if Nylander goes to Europe on a loan, but there would be the salary obligation. The obligation can be offset by the European team agreeing to pay a portion of the salary. Then, there would also be the issue as to whether the loan only covered this season or both seasons of the contract. Of course, as has been noted many times, a loan requires Nylander's consent and it does require NHL waivers and then the loan assignment.

Regarding Vrbata, all the reports I saw were that there was no salary paid out in addition to no cap hit. Whatever agreement Vrbata and Lawton (TB) made after Vrbata stated he wanted to head back to the Cz Rep for the rest of the season, the prorated salary for the remainder of the season did not have to be paid by the TBL. This was due to the agreement between the 2 sides and Vrbata requesting to leave the team. Also, the agreement was for only the 1 year of a multiyear contract.

I agree it looks like Nylander will play in the preseason, best way to showcase him around the NHL. Has anyone said he would not play since camp opened and he reported and is on the ice with the team?

IMO, both sides will want to see if they can find a trading partner in the NHL, even with the NMC and the big cap hit. From the coverage we have gotten, as I have said before, I assume Nylander wants to play out the NHL possibilities before heading to Europe, if he heads to Europe at all. If another NHL team does not materialize, who knows what happens, but a loan to a SEL or KHL still team seems probable. And yes, he is saying all the right things to keep things clear from his side that he reported, is showing up and is ready to play.

The Caps have much more leverage next season, so any potential loan would more than likely only cover this season, with next season being re-negotiable.

Old
09-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Roccoman

showcase Nyls all preseason long; some team is bound to have injuries and holes at centers - if they have the cap room to make a deal & Nyls waives his NMC ... well ... dreams do come true sometimes, right?

Old
09-15-2009, 03:44 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
The Caps have much more leverage next season, so any potential loan would more than likely only cover this season, with next season being re-negotiable.
If a loan to a European team happens, I agree it is likely it would be for 1 season. I was simply laying out some of the issues.

Old
09-18-2009, 02:17 PM
jfc64

The guy who signed Nylander and Theodore effectively ruined Caps chances of winning the Stanley Cup in 2009-10.

Btw, if we (Avs) take on the contracts of Nylander and Theodore, what are you willing to give us in return? Alzner have to be included...Also, Budaj, Tucker, Svatos and Salei goes the other way.

Old
09-18-2009, 02:18 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
The guy who signed Nylander and Theodore effectively ruined Caps chances of winning the Stanley Cup in 2009-10.

Btw, if we (Avs) take on the contracts of Nylander and Theodore, what are you willing to give us in return? Alzner have to be included...Also, Budaj, Svatos and Salei goes the other way.
Nope.

Nylander rules.

FTW!

Old
09-18-2009, 02:54 PM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Nope.

Nylander rules.

FTW!

He ain't too shabby. Maybe he could LW the Morrison - Knuble tandem! Btw, I want to talk to someone in charge (who feels responsibility)

Old
09-18-2009, 03:16 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post

Btw, if we (Avs) take on the contracts of Nylander and Theodore, what are you willing to give us in return? Alzner have to be included...Also, Budaj, Tucker, Svatos and Salei goes the other way.
Revisionist history. The Caps needed a scoring-line center for Ovechkin in the worst way. The Nylander signing was (pretty much) universally lauded as a positive step towards being competitive. The market value was also fine, as that was the same offseason that the Drury and Gomez contracts were handed out.

Maybe the Caps don't make the playoffs if Nylander doesn't mentor Backstrom. There's really no way to know how Backstrom would have developed without him.

On Theodore, a similar scenario. The Caps needed a starting goaltender, and Theodore was the best available. The value wasn't bad (and still isn't), and the contract was only for two years.

And there's no chance Alzner is included in a deal to simply move Nylander's cap hit.

Old
09-18-2009, 05:17 PM
txpd

Its easy to have a short memory and see Theodore and Nylander is busts. I think you can make a case that Gomez and Drury still have worse contracts than Nylander.

Theodore won 30 games last season and the Caps finished as the 2nd seed. The Caps still have two rookie goalies behind him. I much prefer Theodore to Huet and his contract.

Old
09-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Foy

Everyone that blasts theo . . . what were we supposed to do instead?

After what Varlamov has done the last couple of days, I'm still happier with Theo at #1 for now.

Old
09-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Langway
Intangibles

http://twitter.com/dchesnokov/statuses/4130915492

Cross off Omsk. Omsk's GM on Nylander: "He is not interesting anymore. He should have joined when we called. We signed Perrin instead."

Edit: The full quote:
Quote:
"He is not interesting [to us] anymore. We do have money for new contracts. We are monitoring the market and are always ready to do a good transfer [to sign a new player]. But you have to join Avangard at the time when you are asked to join. We signed another center - Eric Perrin - in Nylander's place. And we are very happy with him. Why should anything be changed?"

Last edited by Langway: 09-20-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old
09-20-2009, 04:24 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Everyone that blasts theo . . . what were we supposed to do instead?

After what Varlamov has done the last couple of days, I'm still happier with Theo at #1 for now.
What has Varlamov done?

Get blasted in a team scrimmage?

He earned praise following the Sabres game.

Old
09-20-2009, 07:37 PM
pga5

Quote:
Its easy to have a short memory and see Theodore and Nylander is busts. I think you can make a case that Gomez and Drury still have worse contracts than Nylander.
Yes, and at the time, there were some thinking the Caps were in the running for Gomez. Imagine if they had signed him to the same contract NYR did.

Old
09-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Gustavo Fring
Guns for Hands

http://twitter.com/cmasisak22

Nylander will not play, let the games begin.

Old
09-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by pga5 View Post
Yes, and at the time, there were some thinking the Caps were in the running for Gomez. Imagine if they had signed him to the same contract NYR did.
Gomez brought in an NHL winger and a good prospect in a trade. honestly, what do you think Nylander could bring in at this point?

Old
09-22-2009, 11:00 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
honestly, what do you think Nylander could bring in at this point?

Old
09-22-2009, 11:06 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Gomez brought in an NHL winger and a good prospect in a trade from Bob Gainey. honestly, what do you think Nylander could bring in at this point?
Fixed. God I wish GMGM had gotten to Gainey before Sather did.

Old
09-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Fixed. God I wish GMGM had gotten to Gainey before Sather did.
I guess that is a relevant disclaimer.

I still maintain that Gomez at his contract is more attractive than Nylander at his.

Old
09-22-2009, 11:18 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
I guess that is a relevant disclaimer.

I still maintain that Gomez at his contract is more attractive than Nylander at his.
Gomez is no doubt a more attractive player. I'd agree that his contract is better as well (if for no other reason than because his NTC is so limited), with the obvious caveat that there are fewer teams that could consider taking him.

The initial point was a fair one, though, seeing as the Caps are not one of those teams. We'd be up the creek without a paddle if we had signed Gomez to that type of deal, even if he would have been more worth it than Nylander is right now.

Old
09-23-2009, 02:31 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Closed Thread