HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs beat Sens 2-1

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2009, 09:15 PM
andrew2

vCash: 500
i cant believe they won with that lineup, gotta love the hart.

nielson was mental, if bgl is out for a while i think he should get a call if needed.

gianta plays like he wants to win. he should have an A this year...

Old
BlackMarvel

Pleasantly surprised by our friend hall gill. The man knows how to use his size very simple game and a very long and active stick

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABbiest View Post
I want Neilson in the lineup, he rocks!
Me too. Laraque as super heavyweight and Neilson as middleweight/light heavyweight would be nice.

Old
09-18-2009, 09:16 PM
parachutist

Neilson is so cool!

Journalist: "Was it a busy night?"
Neilson: "Busy? No, it was a fun night for me. I just do my job."

Old
Go Habs Go

Gill is Gill. He is what he is. But I was disappointed in Mara..

I like Gionta already

Old
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSi View Post
Could we act like Mara and Gill didn't play tonight?

That would be nice.

Thanks in advance.
Ok I admit they both played really ordinary BUT they were sloted as the #1 and #2 D tonight and played almost 26 and 22 mins respectively and it will not likely happen during the season IMO (they should be around 18-21mins)

Old
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Maxwell is awesome, I think theres definite potential in him. His vision, hands, finish, like a poster said before, there's a little bit of Datsyuk in the way he plays.

Old
09-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
arent team990.com doing post game shows anymore?

Old
Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Me too. Laraque as super heavyweight and Neilson as middleweight/light heavyweight would be nice.
But we need a lightweight too??

Old
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Plekanec and Gionta: Looked solid as a duo. Plekanec seemed like a different player from last year, Gionta's hard work and guts seem to have rubbed off on him. Gionta did a ton of positive things, stuff you can't really measure with stats. He fired a TON of shots on net too.

Pacioretty: He does a LOT of things very well and at an NHL level. But I still don't think he's 100% NHL ready to be a top 6 forward offensively. He still misses shots that need to be on net and stuff like that. And that's why I still want him to go on the farm to start the season, to develop his offensive game to the fullest. Can he play in the NHL now? Yes. It is best for his development as a TOP 6 FORWARD, I say no.

Maxwell: Silky smooth! Datsyuk style at times indeed. I liked his game, especially after his goal. That last shift on the PP was pretty sweet for him. Lots of talent and a great hockey brain, now play him with an actual NHL offensive winger next game, JM.

Weber and Carle: Sort of played the same game. Not too many errors, not too many risks taken. I think Carle was a little better though. Weber missed a huge chance with those early PPs to make an impression.

Gill, Mara and Moen: Just veterans doing their job and shaking off the rust.

Metropolit: Chipchura better hope the doctors give him the green light soon, because Metro remains a solid role player and he didn't hurt himself last night.

Halak: Excellent in net. Sanford played well too.
agree ,he's really good on the board but when he have to play in the middle of the O-zone he's not that good. Way behind D'ags and Sergei. Lats was like him two years ago but now he's better but IMO too slow to play with Gionta and Plek.

I really want to see D'ags and Sergei try on the second line in pre season

Old
09-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Don't worry about Mara guys. I think he was just nervous tonight, and a bit rusty. He's a solid D.

As for Gill, I didn't think he was that bad. He's a good 3rd pairing guy for will play the PK.

Old
09-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
oh em gee

where the eff does Neilson come from? This guy is SOLID!

love him!

And Gionta is my new lover.

Old
TroyM

That was a very fun second half to watch. The first half was way less organized and not much going on.

Loved the rough stuff especially Neilson, that was fun to watch! I could watch people beat on Neil all day. And he did a number on Yablonski or whomever who people were talking up before the game as some crazed untouchable animal. Loved it! Poor Conboy and Henry didn't fare so well against Carkner, that guy looked like scary strong against them.

I thought the top line tonight had a shaky start. They played solid individual games in the first two periods but weren't really connecting in my opinion. In the third though it seemed to all come together. They were dominant at times and played really well which obviously thrilled me.

Other notables on offense that I thought played great considering their talent/expectations; Metropolit, Neilson, and Maxwell at times. Wyman and Moen also played pretty good games. The rest were very average IMO, but nobody stood out as 'bad' so that's always nice!

On D I felt that Weber probably played the best game considering again my expectations. Gill, Mara and Belle were all solid I thought. Henry and Carle I didn't notice much of anything, very invisible games to me.

Halak made some big stops but also got some very lucky post-aid. Sandford was great, no big flashy stops but obviously did the job.

Old
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 133
Gionta was a beast tonight. He played his heart out and got himself quite a few good chances before his goal. Thankfully, hard work payed off and he scored the game winner. Great game for us! GO HABS GO!

Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Martin praising Gionta, Maxwell and Neilsen.

I'll tell you....Stewart better bring his A+ game.

Old
09-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Etienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2 View Post
i cant believe they won with that lineup, gotta love the hart.

nielson was mental, if bgl is out for a while i think he should get a call if needed.

gianta plays like he wants to win. he should have an A this year...
Listening to Martin speak about Gionta on CKAC, it might be a C.

Old
09-18-2009, 09:22 PM
TroyM

Looking through the thread it seems like a lot of agreement from everyone on how the guys played tonight. I like that.

EDIT: Any specifics on what Martin is saying? I'd love to hear but alas CKAC isn't readily available nor understandable to me. I'm a little ashamed to not speak French but I digress.

Old
09-18-2009, 09:25 PM
andrew2

i think that gill was fine. as long as he keeps his game simple hes gonna be effective. his weaknesses were exposed tonight cause he wasnt paired with anyone who really complements him. like he said in an interview on rds, he does his own thing.

mara's jump in the rush impressed me.

Old
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaye View Post
Good to see them all having a good laugh at Gionta missing the net. That was great.
You jacked my avatar.

On a side note, anyone know if any YT's are up of the fights/goals tonight?

Old
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
oh em gee

where the eff does Neilson come from? This guy is SOLID!

love him!

And Gionta is my new lover.
There is something wrong with that!

Old
09-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Max et Guillaume

wow Michel Langevin laying the SMACKDOWN on Montreal media on l'antichambre....

He said that the media is slowly realizing that they are hurting the team by constantly talking about ridiculous rumours and off ice crap... Michel Bergeron's answer: "What are you talking about??" hahaha nice

Old
NSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
Ok I admit they both played really ordinary BUT they were sloted as the #1 and #2 D tonight and played almost 26 and 22 mins respectively and it will not likely happen during the season IMO (they should be around 18-21mins)
Yeah, you're right.

My only concern is that they really didn't play well against Ottawa's best line, which will most likely be a concern when the opposing team sends their best line against one or both. (Mainly on the road, where the home team chooses their line after the road team)

But still, it was the first game of the year, and dust had to be shaken off. *Crossing fingers*

And, for the record, I'm not a Mara/Gill hater. I just think they really didn't play well tonight for what can be expected of NHL Regulars.

Old
parachutist

Gionta was really impressive. So much speed and hustle. Although he's not a center, I reminds me of Koivu in terms of intensity.

MaxPac kept shooting wide but created a lot of space for his linemates all game long.

Turtleneck was good. He'll make an honest, responsible 2nd line center.

Our d-corps was so-so. Hope Hamrlik will be back soon.

Maxwell was looking real good with average linemates.

I also thought Metropolit was one of our best players tonight. He's way better than Chipchura for now.

Old
09-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I agree that nobody stood out as bad.

Let's take it one game at a time, but I'd really like yo see Neilson play another preseason game. From what I heard on JM's press conference comments, it seems like he might.

Old
09-18-2009, 09:31 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Mara had a real rough game. Hopefully he gets it together before the season. He has a mean streak and a hard shot, but his hockey IQ and skating were dissapointing today at least. Gill can be lumped into this same catagory.

Pacioretty looked to lack the hockey IQ and hands to play with the skill of Pleky and Gionta. MaxPac has a great size/speed combo, plays a tenacious game, and has a good hard shot, but his lack of hockey IQ and hands will keep him from being anything more than a Ryan Smyth type IMO.

Niellson looked like he could be an excellent enforcer. Plays the game, and is an excellent fighter for his size.

Gionta looked great. great speed, skill, vision, tenacious game, and came through in the clutch. I was worried about his signing more than anything,but tonight showed me that he will be busting his ass every night at the least. He should pot 25 this year.

Halak looked very good, like he's only gotten better...

Closed Thread