HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs beat Sens 2-1

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Kman777

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
No, it did not connect. Also, Yablonski got cut when he fell face first on the ice with Neilson over him. I don't understand all the hype surrounding him. I don't think he'll be an NHLer.

And I was impressed with how Gionta was working hard on the ice tonight. I wasn't surprised, but it was good to see. I could see him being named captain after all. He's like Koivu a few years ago, expect as a winger.

But the one I was the most happy with is Plekanec. He was really working hard. I know he's always working, but tonight, he did all the second efforts he could. He went to the net, he dived to get the puck, he worked well on the PK...and he was shooting the puck a lot. Maybe even too much! But that's not a bad thing at this point. I think he'll bounce back!

Maxwell skill set is also awesome. I don't know if you guys noticed, but at some point at the end of the game, he was just inside the Sens territory and he turned around and did a little pass to the defenseman. It was a beauty!

Anyways, all in all, boring game because there wasn't much good player on the ice, but it was still great to see some hockey again!

I saw that!!! It was incredible.

Old
09-18-2009, 10:59 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
i think that applies to basically every player. It was the first real action for these guys and people are making judgments. Mara and Gill this, Pacioretty that.

Some of these comments are ridiculous. I can't believe some people are using this sole game as a basis for the future and that it has any sort of bearing.
+1

I think people are seeing too much into this one game. Some pre-season scoring champs never amount to anything when the real season begins.

Still, here are broader comments on the game:
- I liked how the Sens were kept out of the slot area. While not the best player, Gill uses his size effectively to keep the opponents outside (when he doesn't do a bonehead play, but that's why he's a 5th-6th dman). The forwards would come back and block the scoring zone from the faceoff circles. I guess this year the goalies won't get rammed game after game. Good!
- I think many players were playing better as the game progressed. The Patches-Plekanec-Gionta line got progressively better. Early on they were misreading each other but got better as the game rolled on. JM played the line for most of the game's last minutes and they did a good job. Patches used his size effectively and it gave more room to Gionta and Plekanec. On Gionta's goal, Patches drew two defenders to him, leading the way to a good shot position by Gionta.
- The offense looked sluggish, but it was to be expected with our puck movers mostly playing yesterday. Mara in particular was pretty bad passing the puck to the point where he almost suffocated completely Weber's offensive game. At least Mara has a good shot and he is useful in his end to keep opponents away from the net but he certainly won't be paired with an offensive dman once the season starts. The forwards didn't give good passing options either to the defense and it kinda made the dmen passing problem worse as it caused quite a few turnovers.
- I think Nielson got himself another game with his play, and hopefully it will spur competition as Laraque's replacement (when he's injured, with his bad back) or backup.
- Halak was in game form and kept Montreal in the game through the first half of the game. Sanford was okay but not as tested as Halak.

Old
09-18-2009, 11:03 PM
koivu

Plekanec - Gionta sound like a good basis for 2nd line.
But Pacioretty unable to keep up with those guys.

Who would be good replacement?
SK47 has the speed and the tenacity - or would that make too small of a line?

Gill will be a 5th-6th defenseman who will be the 1st option for any PK - he is a beast on the PK with his long arms and stick.

Not worried about him - Mara I thought would be better, but hes a vet - deserves the time to prepare himself this training camp.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 09-19-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old
09-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Biggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by koivu View Post
Plekanec - Gionta sound like a good basis for 2nd line.
But Pacioretty unable to keep up with those guys.

Who would be good replacement?
SK47 has the speed and the tenacity - or would that make too small of a line?
yeah i thought pleks and gionta would be a good 2nd line with whomever maybe lats? adds size and he had a huge hit against fla so who knows

Old
09-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Nedved

i hope d'agostini gets a chance to play with gionta and pleks. patches is not ready for top 6 duty.

Old
09-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
No, it did not connect. Also, Yablonski got cut when he fell face first on the ice with Neilson over him. I don't understand all the hype surrounding him. I don't think he'll be an NHLer.

But the one I was the most happy with is Plekanec. He was really working hard. I know he's always working, but tonight, he did all the second efforts he could. He went to the net, he dived to get the puck, he worked well on the PK...and he was shooting the puck a lot. Maybe even too much! But that's not a bad thing at this point. I think he'll bounce back!

Maxwell skill set is also awesome. I don't know if you guys noticed, but at some point at the end of the game, he was just inside the Sens territory and he turned around and did a little pass to the defenseman. It was a beauty!
The hype comes with the fact that we haven't had in long long time a guy who could fight almost anybody and not look like a fool doing. A guy who on top of that hits and understand the role of "trying to change the pace of the game" like he said himself after the game, not only through a fight, but a hit or a heavy forecheck. Take it as a Bégin, but better fighter but not as fast I know. As a 4th rounder, he might be able to do the job. But I need to see him more. He didn't connect on his last punch, but he connected before. Still, the cut didn't come with how Yablonski feel on the ice.

As far as Plekanec is concerned, I don't know if I'm just expecting it, but I never was a fan, he's OK, but I wish we would be elsewhere as far as our 2nd line centerman. I still have the playoffs performance in mind, but I wish we would be bigger at that position. He works hard and all, still, I'm just not a fan anymore. Maybe Gionta will make him understand that it's not because you are small that you have to lose your battles, even in the playoffs. Still, I'm just expecting to see him gone so I won't take the time to love him too much....

Really thought that Maxwell's game was not that noticeable at the beginning, though he was much better as the game progressed and that's a good sign. I did notice the small behind the back pass to the D. Really poised. I still believe he needs to be stronger even if he did hit the gym. He had a great chance in front of the net, but his stick was lifted as if it was nothing. Got outmuscled too much for my liking. But did show some great IQ plays as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
Boucher coached Neilson in Rimouski, so he prolly had a say in his signing
Strange thing is that Guy Boucher coached him and Michel Boucher (one of our part-time scout in the Q) drafted him when he was in LA. So the Boucher's played a role in this acquisition. Now, Neilson needs to "butcher" a couple of his opponents.....I know, bad joke...

Old
09-18-2009, 11:36 PM
googlymoogly

Good news Andrew Conboy still hasn't fought. It was his brother Tim who lost
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVw01GQthIE

Carkner is 6'4" 229 lbs. Conboy will need to add about 30 lbs and get a lot more fights in before he can be a heavy in the NHL.

Old
09-19-2009, 12:10 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Good news Andrew Conboy still hasn't fought. It was his brother Tim who lost
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVw01GQthIE

Carkner is 6'4" 229 lbs. Conboy will need to add about 30 lbs and get a lot more fights in before he can be a heavy in the NHL.

Carkner is a beast, and was going back to when the Habs drafted him in 99. A weird stat, as he is still the only Habs drafted player from that draft to even get a cup of joe in the bigs with his grand total of two games.

Old
09-19-2009, 01:07 AM
Lizard King*

Neilson was a beast today wow he demolished Yablewski or whatever his name is , I liked what I saw he can be a good 4th line player. A line with Neilson - Stewart - Laraque would be deadly but I don't think any of them play center? but if that line was possible no one would **** with our "smurf" forwards

Old
09-19-2009, 01:15 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashDuff View Post
Neilson was a beast today wow he demolished Yablewski or whatever his name is , I liked what I saw he can be a good 4th line player. A line with Neilson - Stewart - Laraque would be deadly but I don't think any of them play center? but if that line was possible no one would **** with our "smurf" forwards
No, none of them do, at least I don't think Nielson does. However, I'd like to get Rypien from the nucks...

Old
09-19-2009, 02:11 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Gionta was awesome. Faster than I expected and he makes backchecking look real easy. Kovalev who?

Anyone bashing Gill is just senseless. Were you expecting a #1 defenceman? He was very solid out there and people should be happy to have a steady presence like him in the lineup instead of a Brisebois or Bouillon.

Old
09-19-2009, 02:17 AM
NewHabsEra*

Plekanec was IMO the best player of our team tonight, followed closely by Gionta, both have incredible chimestry, I think Maxpac did rather well in the whole, I like how he creates room with his body and long reach.. This line played the whole game against OTT first line if Im not wrong, its really really promising..

Anyone still doubting Kovy played in Pleks' head last year? Pleks game is all about energy and intensity while Kovalev was dragging him down playing his fancy east-west type of game, floating when not in possession of the puck, this guy could play with 2 fourth liners and there is no difference since he plays this game alone, holding the puck as long as he can being the showman, Pleks was obviously confused and didnt spend his energy well last season, Kovy is one of the toughest guy to play with I think its now a reality for everone, he couldnt find any kind of chimestry with anyone last season, the only one I could see clicking this year with him is Spezza since both play this game on the fancy side, they wont be reliable defensively but at least their high level skills should compensate.. Theres no way Kovy clicks with Fischer which one plays this game alot like Plekanec, intensive north south type of game.. Ive been saying for a while that Kovy plays his own circus type of game and good luck to Clouston to find a way to get Kovy going.. Personally, when I knew Kovy was done here, it was the best news of my summer, the guy hurted this team alot more than some people could think..

Now Pleks is obviously back! Will be a pretty strong competitor and I expect a big season offensively speaking... We will have 2 incredible lines reliable defensively that will put the puck in the net with regularity, our bottom lines will be pretty tough to play against as well so its looking pretty good, my only concern is on D, Im not convinced Gill and Mara are good signings, their lack of mobility was apparent tonight, and when you arent mobile enough to catch the speedy fowards, then you cant play as physical as you want.. A guy like Komisarek was 6"4 235 lbs but the guy had incredible mobility giving him the opportunuty to punish his opponents as much as he wanted, was a master to block shots, in fact he was the perfect stay at home..

I still remember the numerous trade proposals including Pleks in the deal this summer...

Old
09-19-2009, 02:57 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I'm surprised at all the gionta love

we saw him in new jersey so many times... gionta was gionta tonight... its not like he's some big discovery.

Loved Neilson tonight... he added some spunk to a somehwat boring match. The habs didnt ice a ton of skill tonight, but martin sure had the boys finishing their checks. Solid effort.

Old
09-19-2009, 03:00 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Didn't watch or listen to the game tonight, but I heard that Nielsen guy ****ed someone up and Gionta/Plekanec duo was tight like a chinese *****. I'm loving it.

Old
09-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Bob in Niagara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToNedOuT View Post
Anyone else think Wyman looked pretty good out there? I wasn't specifically looking for him but noticed he made several smart plays and was excellent on the back check.

I'm excited to see Maxwell with better linemates. He's so shifty with the puck and has some deceptive speed.
I agree on Wyman....I was very pleasantly surprised...he played solid..Maxwell looks like a keeper...and Belle played really well too...I like him...

Old
09-19-2009, 06:52 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Mara had a real rough game. Hopefully he gets it together before the season. He has a mean streak and a hard shot, but his hockey IQ and skating were dissapointing today at least. Gill can be lumped into this same catagory.

Pacioretty looked to lack the hockey IQ and hands to play with the skill of Pleky and Gionta. MaxPac has a great size/speed combo, plays a tenacious game, and has a good hard shot, but his lack of hockey IQ and hands will keep him from being anything more than a Ryan Smyth type IMO.

Niellson looked like he could be an excellent enforcer. Plays the game, and is an excellent fighter for his size.

Gionta looked great. great speed, skill, vision, tenacious game, and came through in the clutch. I was worried about his signing more than anything,but tonight showed me that he will be busting his ass every night at the least. He should pot 25 this year.

Halak looked very good, like he's only gotten better...

One of the most........ comments i have ever read on HF ! I don't dare take this any further.

Old
09-19-2009, 07:33 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
Looking through the thread it seems like a lot of agreement from everyone on how the guys played tonight. I like that.

EDIT: Any specifics on what Martin is saying? I'd love to hear but alas CKAC isn't readily available nor understandable to me. I'm a little ashamed to not speak French but I digress.
lol I would have thought someone answered you by now ...

Martin said Gionta is a true professional, he said the way Gionta handles himself on the ice, in the room and off the ice is an example for everyone to follow, he called him a true leader. Earlier in the week he compared Gionta to Bob Gainey in terms of his ability to lead men, he said Gionta is like Gainey, they don't do speeches, but when they speak, everyone listens.

Old
09-19-2009, 07:36 AM
HomaridII

About Neilson .. Marinaro explained his background in L'Ataque a 5 ..

Like somebody already said he was Crosby's bodyguard in junior, we invited him to camp last year but he didn't pass the physical because he had just had surgery, last year he worked his way up to the AHL, not with the Habs.

BTW .. Yablonsky, one of the guys Nielson faught and beat was 25-0 last year in fights in the AHL and is an ultimate fighter, the guy had not lost a hockey fight in 2 years!!! Also from Marinaro.

Old
09-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

When they say everything is in the head, Plekanec seems happy playing with Gionta, like something has been lifted off his shoulders. He was flying like he was 2 years ago. Needs to work on his courage, though.

Of course I cannot forget the new legend, Neilson. The kid has fire and he's done what others hasn't done in a while, he doesn't need a fax to duke it out. Here I was waiting for Conboy but if I had to keep somebody for the season right now, it would be Neilson. I would choose him over Stewart, in fact. Look, if Dags, Max Pac and Sergei stays that means the only jobs left are gonna be for gritty players. And Stewart is at the crossroad of is he a or isn't he type of player.

Old
09-19-2009, 08:14 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
When they say everything is in the head, Plekanec seems happy playing with Gionta, like something has been lifted off his shoulders. He was flying like he was 2 years ago. Needs to work on his courage, though.

Of course I cannot forget the new legend, Neilson. The kid has fire and he's done what others hasn't done in a while, he doesn't need a fax to duke it out. Here I was waiting for Conboy but if I had to keep somebody for the season right now, it would be Neilson. I would choose him over Stewart, in fact. Look, if Dags, Max Pac and Sergei stays that means the only jobs left are gonna be for gritty players. And Stewart is at the crossroad of is he a or isn't he type of player.
1.Yeah his name was Kovalev !
2. I don't think we can make this decision after ONE pre season game, can we ?

Old
09-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Haha... oh boy, now we have Neilson bashers even.
I did say that on this board, what differentiate it from the other boards, is that we have hype killers. People who can't unanimity and excitement for a player who just has to destroy it.

Nobody said that Neilsen will be the next king of fighting while nobody said that he's surely part of this team. We just loved what we see and do say that if Stewart doesn't bring it, Neilson might have a chance to stick around.

But people hate for other people to be excited. And it's really only in the Habs board that you'll see such a trend.

Old
09-19-2009, 08:19 AM
howie44

Quote:
Haha... oh boy, now we have Neilson bashers even. Always some people gotta try and bring the mood down. I understand your arguments but the sane fans are just happy to have been entertained by Neilson tonight. He was one of the more exciting aspects of an otherwise not so exciting game (the 3rd was much better...). Rational fans realize that and just want to see him back for another preseason game to have some more fun. I think he earned that for sure for being fearless and standing tall.

As a self-proclaimed rational fan I would never pencil him into the starting line up based on a few fights in a preseason game, but i would never try to say he wasn't entertaining or deserving of our kudos either. If Neilson didn't exceed or at least meet your expectations of him tonight then you have problems with your expectations IMO.
I agree 100% with you he was better than expected and he is a good fighter to watch. I was talking to the ones all of a sudden bashing stewart saying he needs to be more like that which i was pointing out was crazy. The only player he could try to replace is laraque as they are more comparable in there role and play.

Old
09-19-2009, 08:28 AM
25th

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
For now, it's between Dago, MaxPax and Lats.
May the best win.

But Dago yesterday was better than Plek today. Even Lats was better!
Let's see how Dago play with Gionta/Plek and how Lats/MaxPac delivers with Gomez and Cammy...
This is not the real season!
Don't count out Sergei to fast.

And Plekanec played well from the second and on!

Old
09-19-2009, 08:34 AM
PunkinDrublic*

C Neil said Neilson impressed him last night ! Do we really care what HF posters say negative about him ?

Old
09-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie44 View Post
I agree 100% with you he was better than expected and he is a good fighter to watch. I was talking to the ones all of a sudden bashing stewart saying he needs to be more like that which i was pointing out was crazy. The only player he could try to replace is laraque as they are more comparable in there role and play.
How is Neilson more comparable to Laraque than Stewart. By his own admission, Neilson said that for him to be succesful he needs to be able to change the pace of the game through checks, fights and good forecheck. It's not because he's slower than Stewart that it automatically means that Neilson is gonna replace Laraque. Laraque is a heavyweight who fights heavyweights. Both Stewart and Neilson will go against middleweights. Both guys have the potential to be **** disturbers while Laraque....fights heavyweights.

Why wanting to see Stewart doing something like what Nielson did is stupid? What do you want to see Stewart doing? Play good defense? Stewart and Nielson are sharing the exact same role 'cause neither are known as the best fighter of the league, and everybody wouldn't mind going against them while nobody want to take Laraque who only fights heavyweights.

Closed Thread