HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

PS #3 - 09.18.09 | NY Rangers @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:30 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
09-19-2009, 02:53 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu4life18 View Post
HAven'r read every single post here, but Avery is NOT a 4th liner.
I absolutely agree.

But, I can't fathom where else he plays, if players like Lisin or Grachev keep their level of play.

Gaborik
Drury
Callahan
Higgins
Kotalik
Prospal
Anisimov
Lisin
*Dubinsky

I can't picture Torts playing any one of these 9 forwards on the fourth line.

I think there will be flip-flopping this season. Avery could start on the 4th line, but finish on the second. Injuries, sloppy play, etc.

It's not the end of the world if Sean's playing on the fourth line. If that's how things pan out, it's probably a good thing.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 03:24 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

1 of Rozsival or Redden have to be moved before next summer. Too many defensemen making a case for themselves.

Del Z could have (probably should have) made it last year. And he's improved quite a bit since. He's my favorite out of the group thus far. I don't see him making it though. Another year in London due to the situation of things.

Gilroy's a playmaker. Needs to smarten up on defense though. A 19 year old (DZ) outplayed him in the defensive zone. Love his skating. His instincts. Someone like Staal is a perfect compliment for his style of play. I wouldn't mind that pairing one bit down the road.

Sauer's the most overlooked one here, but I think he's the most ready, as far as reliability. Good skater, good positioning, good everything, actually. Plays smart. I think he makes Girardi very expendable, although that's kind of a foolish way to look at things. Kind of reminds me of him, although not as strong.

Sanguinetti's a player. Although he's the victim of a couple of bad plays tonight, he really played much, much better defensively than he did last camp. I like how he pinches, and I thought he was good with the puck, although not as commanding as DelZ, or explosive as Gilroy.

Top-6 Defense consisting of Del Zotto, Gilroy, and Sanguinetti, is going to be a ******* nightmare for opposing teams. And for all their defensive breakdowns so far, it's all repairable with mostly experience. I really feel that with what I've seen so far.

I think Semenov is a longshot, but he too has played good. Pretty mistake free actually, aside from a couple of kinds. It's kind of scary to admit this, but I see a little bit of Malik in him.

Hekkenin I need to see more of. I do like how he plays with the puck. He looked ok defensively too. Played better than Rozsival, that's for sure.

I think Potter is a career AHL'r.

I wouldn't mind a blue-line of:

Staal-Gilroy
Girardi-Del Zotto
Sauer-Sanguinetti

For the next decade.

Please Glen. Make one of Rozsival or Redden disappear.

Old
09-19-2009, 03:29 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I'm hating the Kotalik signing as well. Really hating it.

Would have preferred Zherdev over him. Even Antropov @4M.

I don't have any doubts about his shot. And I do think he'll help the PP.

I just don't like the game he plays. I'll take a Callahan, or Higgins over him any day.

He's a physical specimen, but doesn't seem to play like one. He's the type of player that needs to score in order to be effective. Hopefully he nets 30 this year and makes me look like a fool.

Old
09-19-2009, 03:34 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

If Enver can maintain this level of play, then I'll forgive Sather (And Crossbar) for doubting the Korpedo exchange.

He seems to be grasping the style of hockey Torts is trying to implement. That, offensive creativeness during a rush, and overall mind-set of pressure/forecheck and attack.

Old
09-19-2009, 03:39 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

My good buddy has talked up Boyle since he netted a couple of goals against us when he was with LA. After a pathetic start, he's really, really impressing me.

I was worried about losing Betts, and replacing his ice-time for someone I knew little about.

I love how he plays along the boards. He's a strong boy. He's got talent too. Good hands, can skate, great wing-span. He'll get better too when he develops some chemistry with Donald, and whoever else falls on that wing.

Credit Sather for acquiring a potential monster in the making. Third line material if he puts it all together.

Old
09-19-2009, 04:00 AM
BlueShirts702

vCash: 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Lol also anyone notice Rozsival's stupid spin-o-rama trying to do something... And later on the same play the Wings burned Rozsival and Redden and scored.

Lol they are SO bad its laughable.

I could care less about "inexperience"... When the rookies are BETTER then the veterans then its time to move on and find a way to dump the overpaid vets.
I know. It's too bad that neither guy hustles or cares as much as Zherdev the ghost did. Right?

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 05:30 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Lundqvist sucked last preseason and everyone was freaking out. Then he played awesome when the games mattered.

It seriously is "just preseason"

Don't get worked up about it
Yeah, but Lundqvist has a record of dominating, so no one was really worried. But these two clowns have a deep record of looking ridiculously bad out there. So it's concerning that they seem to look like their normal selves this season as well.

Torts has called them out and that they know they have to play better. So what'll happen if they don't?

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 05:38 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Who would you guys compare Anisimov to now that you've seen him?

EDIT: By seen him I mean more than just watching highlights and him being called up for 1 game last season
Eric Staal.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 06:06 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
If Enver can maintain this level of play, then I'll forgive Sather (And Crossbar) for doubting the Korpedo exchange.

He seems to be grasping the style of hockey Torts is trying to implement. That, offensive creativeness during a rush, and overall mind-set of pressure/forecheck and attack.
his defensive awareness has been very good so far as well.

as i said before, and i will repeat, nyr got the better player.

lisin is the better talent.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Yeah, but Lundqvist has a record of dominating, so no one was really worried. But these two clowns have a deep record of looking ridiculously bad out there. So it's concerning that they seem to look like their normal selves this season as well.

Torts has called them out and that they know they have to play better. So what'll happen if they don't?
People were absolutely worried about Lundqvist. It was almost downright panic

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Eric Staal.
lol...C`mon Goose. Eric Staal is an All-Star. A guy you can't help but notice nearly every single shift becuase he is that much better than everyone else on the ice. You are going to compare Ani to that? Little early no?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
lol...C`mon Goose. Eric Staal is an All-Star. A guy you can't help but notice nearly every single shift becuase he is that much better than everyone else on the ice. You are going to compare Ani to that? Little early no?
I agree with ya, however I did notice him every single shift yesterday . He is going to be a stud and I have been on the AA bandwagon for a long time. Now I hope people realize what I did a long time ago. He CAN center the 1st line no problem, sorry Dubinsky you can be 3c if you ever sign your contract.

AA is just a smart player who can chip in offensively and just plays to win.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Even without Dubi I can't see where Grachev is going to fit. Avery isn't going on the forth line as much as one or two would love to see that, and I think Lisin has proved he can bring some nice offense to any of the top 3 lines so its a waste to put him on the 4th.

We have too many forwards. We shouldnt have signed Kotalik...but then again we will have plenty of depth if a player gets injured.
So if they had Zherdev would you be saying they should not of signed Kotalik?. Let the guy play he will score 20 + goals

Sorry guys Avery is not a 4th liner but to me it's obvious that is where he is going to fit

Also call me crazy but I can see Lisin, Anisimov, Gaborik in the near future. Grachev looks pretty freaking good but I don't think he is rushed.

I just think for now with everyone on their its Prospal who can set up Gaborik with Dubi in the middle

They don't touch the Higgins, Drury, Callahan line

Have to keep Lisin and Anisimov together so put Kotalik their

Then Boyle and Brashear are together and Avery is obviously ahead of Voros.

Will be interesting to see how the lines shape up 2nite

I think Byers and Locke are supposed to play so they likely have a Hartford line.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 08:36 AM
SkerZ
LGR

Cally and artys goals were both DIRTYYY last night

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Eric Staal.
Geez, if you're gonna go the Staal route, at least be in the same stratosphere and say Jordan

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 08:55 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
If they allow him to develop and not rush him into the NHL then sure. 1 year juniors, let him dominate juniors and eat up 30 minutes. 1 year AHL, let him adjust to the pro level. 21 year old MDZ makes the NHL and has a fantastic rookie season.

During those 2 years Gilroy, Sauer, Sangs all get their shot and get to develop into NHL defenseman.

Truthfully, if we didnt have so many defensive prospects (and good ones)...he probably could make the team. But thats not the case and I dont see the Rangers throwing him into the fire if they don't have to. They like to progress the prospects slow recently which i'm all for (with the exception of our stud Staal). This also goes for Grachev. Which is why I highly doubt he will start the season with the Rangers.
Very well said all around.

Are Grachev/MDZ "good enough" to make the team? Yes.
Will they make the team? I doubt it.

09-19-2009, 09:06 AM
rangerjoe

Just saw the hilights of last night's game, how bad (and lazy) was Redden on that 4th goal by Detroit, all he has to do is tie up the forward driving to the net, or get in front of that pass across.

He looks very disinterested. I hate his casual play, and hate his contract more and more each day. What Sather was thinking giving him that many years is beyond me.

Can Slats get Gainey to take Redden

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:41 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Where do I go to see highlights?

McDonagh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Sorry for joining the party late but since I won't see today's game(bachelor party in Baltimore/AC) I wanted to at least get my thoughts in from last night. The second Lisin scored I said oh no and thought of hf boards lol. But yeah the GAL line looked good and so did the Brashear-Boyle-Voros line. Captain Cash was invisible again, Callahan looked good, Higgins had some chances, Redden and Rozsival were in "mid season form". Henrik looked sharp, the power play was terrible which needs to be addressed with gun shy Rozy and pillow soft shot Redden. The penalty kill has me concerned, seems like they're giving up ppg's like they're going outta style but I won't worry too much until the games count. Zaba, see you in Hartford.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:45 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirts702 View Post
I know. It's too bad that neither guy hustles or cares as much as Zherdev the ghost did. Right?
... and...

I liked a skilled player, that lead the team in points last year? Have i mentioned his name since he signed elsewhere?

Redden and Rozsival make a ridiculous amount of money and are supposed to be leaders on this team, when they play like they don't care, it's a problem. They always under perform. It's a reoccurring issue, this isn't the first, second, third, fourth, fifth and so on time it's been said. It's been said countless times over the last year. They are by far the worst two players on the NHL roster.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:48 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Geez, if you're gonna go the Staal route, at least be in the same stratosphere and say Jordan
He means the style of play.

Not that he is as good as Eric Staal.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
1 of Rozsival or Redden have to be moved before next summer.
Can you or someone else who knows something I don't please explain to me why Rozsival wasn't moved THIS summer?
  • Would it have been that difficult to find a taker?
  • Is his salary hit that much of an obstacle?
  • Was Sather never really motivated to move him?
I suspect it may be the third, which I can't understand, but maybe I'm wrong and someone can tell me otherwise.

Rozsival was terrible last year (maybe not as terrible as a lot of people on here say, but still, really bad), and it looks like he may manage to be worse this year.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:03 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

There really are too many forwards at this point...

If Dubinsky comes back then that means that there will be a forward hitting the 4th line or out of the lineup that shouldn't. Personally I don't see how Grachev can make it unless a trade is made at this point.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:05 AM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grachev View Post
Where do I go to see highlights?
Here ya go pal: http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip215008#clip215008

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Oh, what could be without Kotalik.

Higgins/Drury/Avery
Callahan/Prospal/Gaborik
Lisin/Anisimov/Grachev
The BBV ( I like that nickname).

Hell, trade Dubi and the excess D-man for a quality offensive prospect to replace Prospal next year.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote