HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Andy Rooney has a solution...

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Andy Rooney has a solution...

for getting popularity in the U.S... it needs more scoring. He suggest wider nets (four inches) and less goalie pads. While I give little credence to much anything he says, let alone hockey, I thought it was interesting that the sport actually made it to 60 Minutes....

Old
11-14-2004, 08:52 PM
NYR469

i really don't like the idea of making the net bigger because imo that doesn't address any of the problems, it just potentially inflates the scores to hide the problems...

everyone focuses on low scoring but imo the real problem is the play that leads to the low scoring, the lack of scoring chances, lack of shots, etc...

the immediate reaction is that a game that ends 1-0 is boring, but that isn't necessarily true...you could have a 1-0 game that is filled with end to end action, great scoring chances, unbelievable saves, shots ringing off the post, huge hits, etc action that has everyone on the edge of their seats and their hearts racing.

but when people refer to low scoring 1-0 games they are refering to snorefest where each team only gets 15 shots on goal and the quality scoring chances are 4-3 as the teams take turns icing the puck...but if the final score was 4-3 in a game where each team gets 15 shots would that make the game anymore entertaining??

to me making the net bigger is simply a way to inflate numbers so you can tell people that don't actually watch the games "hey look scoring is up?"...its just like how they have an obstruction crackdown each october and then mid-november the whistles get put away, around new years the league starts throwing out statistics about how obstruction is down when in reality the amount of infractions aren't down the refs just stopped calling it...

if your only objective is to increase the final score instead of fixing the actual play then why not simply make each goal count as 2 points and then tell everyone that scoring doubled?

Old
11-14-2004, 10:14 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
i really don't like the idea of making the net bigger because imo that doesn't address any of the problems, it just potentially inflates the scores to hide the problems...

everyone focuses on low scoring but imo the real problem is the play that leads to the low scoring, the lack of scoring chances, lack of shots, etc...

the immediate reaction is that a game that ends 1-0 is boring, but that isn't necessarily true...you could have a 1-0 game that is filled with end to end action, great scoring chances, unbelievable saves, shots ringing off the post, huge hits, etc action that has everyone on the edge of their seats and their hearts racing.

but when people refer to low scoring 1-0 games they are refering to snorefest where each team only gets 15 shots on goal and the quality scoring chances are 4-3 as the teams take turns icing the puck...but if the final score was 4-3 in a game where each team gets 15 shots would that make the game anymore entertaining??

to me making the net bigger is simply a way to inflate numbers so you can tell people that don't actually watch the games "hey look scoring is up?"...its just like how they have an obstruction crackdown each october and then mid-november the whistles get put away, around new years the league starts throwing out statistics about how obstruction is down when in reality the amount of infractions aren't down the refs just stopped calling it...

if your only objective is to increase the final score instead of fixing the actual play then why not simply make each goal count as 2 points and then tell everyone that scoring doubled?
I agree completely. The league has to be stick to its guns on calling obstruction. It'll take more than one month of calling the penalties to get players to cut down on obstruction. Everyone will complain about how there will be 20 penalties called every game, but if they stick to it, the players will have to adjust, or the coaches will bench them. The players should have to learn to work around the rules, the refs shouldn't have to learn to work the rules of the game around their play.

Old
11-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
actually I believe the games needs to be shorter, and I dont mean cutting the 60 minutes actual play time. reduce the TV breaks.

I believe that reducing the goalies gloves and pads is the right approach.

I was in favour of wider rinks - seeing the NHL players in actionon the olympic size rink during WC shows that it alleviates a lot of what ails the league.

I am not in favour of the no red line offside rule, but it does make the game look faster.

Old
11-15-2004, 11:07 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by london ranger
actually I believe the games needs to be shorter, and I dont mean cutting the 60 minutes actual play time. reduce the TV breaks.
that can't happen though...despite what bettman says about player salaries, the biggest financial problem the league has imo is lack of revenue. so there is no way that teams can give up some of the revenue they are getting by giving up commercial time.

but maybe a solution would be to televise games on a slight delay, that way people at the game live don't have to sit thru stoppages so long, but they could still get the commercial time in for people watching on tv (and i don't think anyone would even notice if the game was televised on a 2 minute delay vs live)

Closed Thread