HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First Cuts...

Old
09-19-2009, 01:46 PM
AgRiVaToRR*

vCash: 500
First Cuts...

Do you know when the first cuts are made (I know that four were made already) and how many will get cut?

Also post who you think will be the first to be cut.

Thanks.

AgRiVaToRR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 01:51 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Not Invited at camp:

Gabriel Dumont.
Petteri Simila.
Dustin Walsh.

The first cuts were made already:

Mac Bennet.
Philippe Lefebvre.
Jason Missiaen.
Joe Stejskal.

Edit: The bold names were returned to their respective junior or college clubs after Rookie Camp.

Last edited by vokiel: 09-19-2009 at 02:19 PM.
vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgRiVaToRR View Post
Do you know when the first cuts are made (I know that four were made already) and how many will get cut?

Also post who you think will be the first to be cut.

Thanks.
Heard that it was after the Monday game. Honestly, it would have to be no later than Monday ,cause the Dogs are playing in Scotland on the 24th. It should have been earlier but they got themselves that kind of schedule, so they have to live with that.

So the first cut will surely be 2 goalies and a whole Bulldog team in order to play over there. Only guys staying might be Neilson, Maxwell, MaxPac, Stew, D'Ago, Chip, Weber and maybe PK but it could go either way. All the other guys should be cut. Long shots could be Benoit, Trotter and Desharnais.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 01:52 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

I would imagine Monday or Tuesday could be a possible date. Maybe more Tuesday because we play on Monday a 5th game in 5 nights

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 01:57 PM
WestIslander

As per the Team 990 and CJAD, the next cuts will be on Thursday (after this 5 game swing).

And then the following (last set of cuts) will be in the following week, before the team heads to Norther Ontario for 3 days of bonding and team preparation.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 01:59 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Gabriel Dumont.

Edit: Made an error in bold. I thought I saw his name in one of the RDS release. It looks like officially he's still training with the team, I don't know.
He was returned to Drummondville after the rookie camp.

Old
09-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
As per the Team 990 and CJAD, the next cuts will be on Thursday (after this 5 game swing).

And then the following (last set of cuts) will be in the following week, before the team heads to Norther Ontario for 3 days of bonding and team preparation.
You probably mean Tuesday. 'Cause again the Dogs are playing the Marlies and 2 scottish teams in Scotland on Thursday. Seems to me that they would have to be there at least 2 days prior to the games in order to not sleep between shifts.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 02:04 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
I see, thanks for the insight.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 02:18 PM
WestIslander

Quote:
You probably mean Tuesday. 'Cause again the Dogs are playing the Marlies and 2 scottish teams in Scotland on Thursday. Seems to me that they would have to be there at least 2 days prior to the games in order to not sleep between shifts.
Possibly!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 02:47 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Heard that it was after the Monday game. Honestly, it would have to be no later than Monday ,cause the Dogs are playing in Scotland on the 24th. It should have been earlier but they got themselves that kind of schedule, so they have to live with that.

So the first cut will surely be 2 goalies and a whole Bulldog team in order to play over there. Only guys staying might be Neilson, Maxwell, MaxPac, Stew, D'Ago, Chip, Weber and maybe PK but it could go either way. All the other guys should be cut. Long shots could be Benoit, Trotter and Desharnais.
Chips has a one-way contact, so of course he is staying. Same with O'Byrne.

Among the guys with two way-contracts, I would hold onto Price, SKost, D'Agostini, MaxPac, Maxwell, Stewart, Henry, Weber, Subban, Sanford. That means 29 guys going into the last week of training camp, including Laraque and Chipchura who are hurting. If Laraque starts the season on IR, and Sanford, Weber and Subban go to Hamilton, that leaves two cuts, whom most folks would assume would be Maxwell and Henry, but frankly from where I sit, those two have an OUTSIDE chance to win a spot. Henry could beat out O'Byrne for 7th D, though OB has the RH shot we badly lack. And Maxwell COULD beat out one of Patches or SKost, since neither of them would be lost to waivers.

Carle is too slow for the NHL, and the other two young RH defencemen are ahead of him potential-wise.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 04:20 PM
AgRiVaToRR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Chips has a one-way contact, so of course he is staying. Same with O'Byrne.
Can't one way contracts be sent down without having to go through waivers before the regular season?

AgRiVaToRR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 04:30 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Can't one way contracts be sent down without having to go through waivers before the regular season?
One way contacts don't really have anything to do with waviers, it's possible to be on a one way and get sent down and not have to clear waivers in some cases. But not in the case of Chipchura and O'Byrne, who in order to play in the AHL will have to pass through waivers.

With Chipchura, they could send him down for two weeks on a rehab assignement if his injury keeps him out of the lineup another week, if management wanted to. Waivers would not apply, he gets paid his full nhl salary but it doesn't count against the cap while he's down there.

I don't see either O'Byrne or Chipchura getting sent down, unless Chipchura's injury is bad, I honestly haven't heard anything about it, I know he had his injury problems last year, but I was under the impression he would be 100% by the time camp came around. I haven't heard what the news is on him, if it's his groin injury from last year or something new.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 04:33 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
I don't know for waivers before that but the playing season waiver period starts 12 days before the regular season, which is today.

Old
09-19-2009, 04:35 PM
patsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
He's injured (foot or toe).

patsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 05:34 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
One way contacts don't really have anything to do with waviers, it's possible to be on a one way and get sent down and not have to clear waivers in some cases. But not in the case of Chipchura and O'Byrne, who in order to play in the AHL will have to pass through waivers.
Yes, I know the one-way contract clue is not a 100% fullproof one, but it's a good clue.

This is because for most players, the entry-level contract which contains a MANDATORY two-way clause is valid for the same amount of time as the waiver exemption.

The most common exceptions are goalies in their fourth pro year who haven't dressed in 80 NHL games. There are some other exceptions in the cases of players signed AFTER age 20.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote